Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My mizuno mp-18 experience


173 replies to this topic

#121 Beast10

Beast10

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461422
  • Joined: 03/31/2017
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 13 November 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

View Postcliffhanger, on 13 November 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Ah man sorry you misunderstood sympathy for anger... i guess i will have to work on my communication skills.
No, I'm sure you meant exactly what you said, and it was far from being a sympathetic type. Think of all those poor low single digit handicappers who now have to wait when another long hitting mid-handicapper hits his 7i off line 30 yards.

View PostBeast10, on 13 November 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostGravityWell, on 13 November 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

What was this thread about again?
My expirence with mp-18 blade as a mid handicapper
I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Ultimately, that's all that really matters anyway. Hit em well. Cheers!
I have been! Despite the assumptions people seem to think I canít hit these, I hit them very well


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#122 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133399
  • Joined: 07/18/2011
  • Location:spruce grove alberta
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 554

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostBeast10, on 13 November 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 13 November 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

View Postcliffhanger, on 13 November 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Ah man sorry you misunderstood sympathy for anger... i guess i will have to work on my communication skills.
No, I'm sure you meant exactly what you said, and it was far from being a sympathetic type. Think of all those poor low single digit handicappers who now have to wait when another long hitting mid-handicapper hits his 7i off line 30 yards.

View PostBeast10, on 13 November 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostGravityWell, on 13 November 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

What was this thread about again?
My expirence with mp-18 blade as a mid handicapper
I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Ultimately, that's all that really matters anyway. Hit em well. Cheers!
I have been! Despite the assumptions people seem to think I can’t hit these, I hit them very well
awesome... I am not surprised that your havIng success with these at all. With all of the negative salty comments out there it's really nice to read a positive post.
Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
hybrid/ 5 wood pending...
Mizuno MP 18 Fly Hi 3 iron with Project X LZ 6.0 1deg flat
Irons pending... although i want to say f*** it and rock a set of blades for once lol
Vokey 54deg M grind SM5 wedge set 2 deg flat with DG wedge flex shaft
Cameron Futura X7M 36" counterbalanced
Calloway Chrome soft

2

#123 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:22 PM

View Postcliffhanger, on 13 November 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 13 November 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

View Postcliffhanger, on 13 November 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Ah man sorry you misunderstood sympathy for anger... i guess i will have to work on my communication skills.
No, I'm sure you meant exactly what you said, and it was far from being a sympathetic type. Think of all those poor low single digit handicappers who now have to wait when another long hitting mid-handicapper hits his 7i off line 30 yards.

View PostBeast10, on 13 November 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostGravityWell, on 13 November 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

What was this thread about again?
My expirence with mp-18 blade as a mid handicapper
I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Ultimately, that's all that really matters anyway. Hit em well. Cheers!
i feel sorry for you that you have taken on the role to save all of the low handicap golfers from us inconsiderate hacks... must be a tough job and how do you find the time? Would it help if i change my cap from 10.3 to 9.9... would being a single digit low handicap get me accepted in your elite group? Yes i truly feely sympathy for you... and anyone who you play golf with.

My bad, that was sarcasm. But I still think it's reasonable for those "salty" low single digit handicaps to attempt to talk mid to high handicappers from things that make the game hard for them. Cheers!

3

#124 jetmech879

jetmech879

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44927
  • Joined: 01/02/2008
  • Location:Lexington, NC
  • Ebay ID:jetmech879
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:23 PM

A couple months ago I fell into the "I should not be playing blades" trap. I got a set of 900 forged and gave them a honest go. I went from shooting mid to upper 70s to upper 70s to low 80s. Said f it and ordered what I have in my Sig now. 2-4 fli-hi, 5&6 sc, 7-pw blade. Played 2 rounds with them so far. 2 over 74 and a 1 under 70. Both rounds I continually hit iron shots flush, straight and close to the hole. This setup is what I consider my game improvement irons. It kills me that people feel it necessary to criticize people for playing what they want. At the end of our rounds, we go home, than go to work the next day. Play what makes you feel good about your game! For me it will never be GI irons😏
Taylormade M1 430 TI 8į GD Tour AD M9003 6x
Taylormade M2 TI 14.2į DF GD Tour AD GT 8x
Mizuno MP 18 MMC FLI-HI 2-4 iron PX 6.5
Mizuno MP 18 SC 5 & 6, blade 7-pw PX 6.5
Mizuno T7 blue 53-10, 59-09 DG TI S400
Mizuno MP A-308 Putter

4

#125 chefcp

chefcp

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90044
  • Joined: 07/29/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:37 PM

I went in to get fitted for some irons and felt that among Callaway steelheads, M2, jpx 900s and the morning-18s. The MP18 was much easier to hit. I was fitted with the same shaft as you too (project x lz 5.5) I felt a lot of the feedback in the standard blades on a mishit but felt amazing when I hit it pure and spot on. I tried the MP18 sc and on mishits felt enough to know I messed up vs the earthquake of a feedback from the standard blades. I tried the hi-fli and the mmc and so forth but just didn’t like it as much as the sc. I hit the MP18 sc much better and went with that!

Edited by chefcp, 13 November 2017 - 10:38 PM.


5

#126 Stanks

Stanks

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469442
  • Joined: 05/29/2017
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:?
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

View Postchefcp, on 13 November 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I went in to get fitted for some irons and felt that among Callaway steelheads, M2, jpx 900s and the morning-18s. The MP18 was much easier to hit. I was fitted with the same shaft as you too (project x lz 5.5) I felt a lot of the feedback in the standard blades on a mishit but felt amazing when I hit it pure and spot on. I tried the MP18 sc and on mishits felt enough to know I messed up vs the earthquake of a feedback from the standard blades. I tried the hi-fli and the mmc and so forth but just didn’t like it as much as the sc. I hit the MP18 sc much better and went with that!

My set is predominantly SC with the 4,5,6 MMC. If I smack it right, the 4,5,6 feel just like the SC. I've taken many hacks at a local shop with the MBs and don't feel any difference between them and my SCs. So it makes sense. Take a little free help.

Still the best irons I've hit in a long time. The only close second was the Cobra King Forged w/ black finish.
Golf makes me mad. Paintball calms me down.

Callaway Epic Sub-Zero 10.5 / Diamana D+ White 70 X
Cobra F7 3 Wood 14.5
Cobra F7 3-4 Hybrid 19.5
Mizuno MP-18s SC 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*
Callaway MD3 54* & 64*.
Scotty Cameron 5W 33" w/ Tour SNSR Grip
TP5, Vice Pro+, Nike Razn Black / Platinum, CS Truvis, Anything BUT ProV1s.

6

#127 lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414072
  • Joined: 03/01/2016
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Handicap:8.2
  • Ebay ID:eeejayeight
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

After hitting the mp18's multiple times on multiple monitors and at mizuno demo days at a local range, I decided to pull the trigger.  I ended up going with the MMC for 4i and 5i (bent 2* weak) and then 6-PW in the SC.

I loved the feel of the blade, but the SC felt just as good and looked almost indistinguishable at address, so I wanted error on the side of forgiveness.

The MP18s will be replacing my Apex CF16s.  When comparing them on the monitors, I was getting about 5y less carry with the MP18s, however the CF16 lofts are a bit stronger (3* or so) so when I was adjusting for loft between the two sets, I was getting about half a club and cut dispersion in half with the MP18.

Cannot wait to get these out on the course and see how they perform!

7

#128 DBake

DBake

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7456
  • Joined: 11/07/2005
  • Location:Graham, WA
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

View Postlookylookitzadam, on 13 November 2017 - 11:33 PM, said:

After hitting the mp18's multiple times on multiple monitors and at mizuno demo days at a local range, I decided to pull the trigger.  I ended up going with the MMC for 4i and 5i (bent 2* weak) and then 6-PW in the SC.

I loved the feel of the blade, but the SC felt just as good and looked almost indistinguishable at address, so I wanted error on the side of forgiveness.

The MP18s will be replacing my Apex CF16s.  When comparing them on the monitors, I was getting about 5y less carry with the MP18s, however the CF16 lofts are a bit stronger (3* or so) so when I was adjusting for loft between the two sets, I was getting about half a club and cut dispersion in half with the MP18.

Cannot wait to get these out on the course and see how they perform!

I was looking at doing a similar set up, 2 or 3 Fli HI/MMC 3-5/SC 6-PW.
Titleist 909D3 10.5* with ProForce Tour Green 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW with S300
Mizuno S5 52*9/56*10/60*06 with Wedge
Titleist Studio Design 1.5
Snell Get Sum

8

#129 Justsomeguy

Justsomeguy

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412064
  • Joined: 02/13/2016
  • Location:New Orleans
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:25 AM

I'm squarely in the play whatever you like camp. And I am a mid-capper.
Personally, I play as lofted up of a driver as possible without hitting moon balls, and AP1's. I've simplified my wedge game to just a 56 (as best as possible w the wacky AP1 gaps), and just added a super high moi putter. So my bag is dripping in distance and accuracy help.
That said, my last set of irons were Adams XTD Tours, definitely players irons. A little help, but not a ton. Those were the first real set of irons for me after a dogs**t set of thrift store golden bears that probably originated from costco.
And you know what? For my skill level at the time, I hit em great, and they helped me get better faster without training wheels.
I never held up a group and if I didn't spot a ball in a minute of looking, I said screw it. And that's how I still play, and it keeps it fun, and keeps me from losing it over bad shots. Only time I look for more than 60s is when I'm sure it's in the fairway and hiding...
So you can suck and play blades from the tips and not annoy anyone. You can be a single digit player and play my easy bag and still refuse to give up the search for a lost ball and make playing w or behind you miserable.
So don't try to correlate someone's handicap w propensity to be an a-hole. Fatal flaw.
Titleist 915D2 12* set to 11.25*, MFT Kai'li 65, S
Titleist 915F 15* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
Titleist 915Hd 20.5* set to 19.75*, Diamana S+ Blue 70, S, -1/2"
Titleist 716 AP1 4-W2, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
Ping Gorge Tour S 56*, TFC Graphite, R
Odyssey White Ice #9

9

#130 Spudgun

Spudgun

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178946
  • Joined: 05/04/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:57 AM

Cliffhanger- yes, same shafts in all. Blades in long irons is above my pay grade Iím afraid, but the set up Iíve gone for should be quite playable. Letís see.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#131 Hubijerk

Hubijerk

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305901
  • Joined: 04/05/2014
  • Location:Las Vegas
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:hubijerk2p7b
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:15 AM

I also think it makes a difference what you played in youre formative years.. i actually dont feel like blades are hard to hit but i also learned on wooden woods and old rusty blades that were heavy as hell, i even used a wooden baffler 5w in highschool up until it exploded hitting a tee shot.  I always convince myself to get some help like my 765's but i always end up with a blade in my bag, and most people think my stuff is really heavy.. todays kids (im 36) never even saw a wooden wood.. its a different mindset... i still remember looking down at the 400cc nike driver and thinking it was huuuuge... that seems like a lifetime ago.
You can't sneak the cheese by a rat

11

#132 mallrat

mallrat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
  • Joined: 02/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1071

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:49 AM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 12 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

View Postmallrat, on 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Not to be rude but isn't the topic of this thread about playing blades and not pace of play (which has 10 million threads that turn into arguments already)
Not rude at all, but the answer is simple. Unless that bogey golfer has this terrific solid swing, it could be a pretty tedious and miserable a round with or behind him.

Any reasonable single digit player should discourage the use of blades and players clubs by bogey golfers, and make the game easier for everyone.

I have to respectfully disagree, not a single digit or a bogey golfer, well I was a 9 but now a high 12. But it is not my irons itís getting off the tee. My iron game has improved since I switched to my MP-4ís but I picked up a pull off the tee that is costing 6-8 shots a round.

I play blades because that is what I like. When I look down it gives me a feeling of confidence and I know if I make a good smooth swing the ball will do what I want.

I went to a fitting about 2 weeks ago and the first 5 swings I hit were all over the place. The fitter said I should try a CB which I was totally open to. But he came back with a bunch of SGI irons that were just ugly. My numbers were ok with some but I hated most of them. He really liked the way I hit some TM heads that were ok. At the end I asked about the MP-18ís. Affer 10 swings they had the tightest dispersion of the 7 heads he brought out for me. Ball speed was a tick slower but carry was only 3 yards less. He still recommended the TMís based on smash factor and carry distance. Carry distance is probably 4th on my list of importance. Dispersion, comfort/feel, consistency, carry.

12

#133 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

View Postmallrat, on 14 November 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 12 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

View Postmallrat, on 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Not to be rude but isn't the topic of this thread about playing blades and not pace of play (which has 10 million threads that turn into arguments already)
Not rude at all, but the answer is simple. Unless that bogey golfer has this terrific solid swing, it could be a pretty tedious and miserable a round with or behind him.

Any reasonable single digit player should discourage the use of blades and players clubs by bogey golfers, and make the game easier for everyone.

I have to respectfully disagree, not a single digit or a bogey golfer, well I was a 9 but now a high 12. But it is not my irons itís getting off the tee. My iron game has improved since I switched to my MP-4ís but I picked up a pull off the tee that is costing 6-8 shots a round.

I play blades because that is what I like. When I look down it gives me a feeling of confidence and I know if I make a good smooth swing the ball will do what I want.

I went to a fitting about 2 weeks ago and the first 5 swings I hit were all over the place. The fitter said I should try a CB which I was totally open to. But he came back with a bunch of SGI irons that were just ugly. My numbers were ok with some but I hated most of them. He really liked the way I hit some TM heads that were ok. At the end I asked about the MP-18ís. Affer 10 swings they had the tightest dispersion of the 7 heads he brought out for me. Ball speed was a tick slower but carry was only 3 yards less. He still recommended the TMís based on smash factor and carry distance. Carry distance is probably 4th on my list of importance. Dispersion, comfort/feel, consistency, carry.

Again, I don't really care about this, and you were a good enough player anyway. The thing I was defending, was the low single digit handicaps who are only trying to help mid to high handicaps play better. Missed greens from 20 yards doesn't take a huge amount of time, but it's still potentially a couple extra strokes per hole and they have to wait.

I have a set of Mizuno MP-33 that I use on occasion, and I can hit them to distance almost all of the time. My dispersion is at least 10 yards wider with them than my regular playing clubs. Couple degrees off at setup could easily cost me a green. The same setup error is less bad with a higher spinning and higher trajectory GI type club.

Edited by Lincoln_Arcadia, 14 November 2017 - 08:46 AM.


13

#134 Kale_m

Kale_m

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257042
  • Joined: 06/18/2013
  • Location:Calgary, AB
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 14 November 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

View Postmallrat, on 14 November 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 12 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

View Postmallrat, on 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Not to be rude but isn't the topic of this thread about playing blades and not pace of play (which has 10 million threads that turn into arguments already)
Not rude at all, but the answer is simple. Unless that bogey golfer has this terrific solid swing, it could be a pretty tedious and miserable a round with or behind him.

Any reasonable single digit player should discourage the use of blades and players clubs by bogey golfers, and make the game easier for everyone.

I have to respectfully disagree, not a single digit or a bogey golfer, well I was a 9 but now a high 12. But it is not my irons itís getting off the tee. My iron game has improved since I switched to my MP-4ís but I picked up a pull off the tee that is costing 6-8 shots a round.

I play blades because that is what I like. When I look down it gives me a feeling of confidence and I know if I make a good smooth swing the ball will do what I want.

I went to a fitting about 2 weeks ago and the first 5 swings I hit were all over the place. The fitter said I should try a CB which I was totally open to. But he came back with a bunch of SGI irons that were just ugly. My numbers were ok with some but I hated most of them. He really liked the way I hit some TM heads that were ok. At the end I asked about the MP-18ís. Affer 10 swings they had the tightest dispersion of the 7 heads he brought out for me. Ball speed was a tick slower but carry was only 3 yards less. He still recommended the TMís based on smash factor and carry distance. Carry distance is probably 4th on my list of importance. Dispersion, comfort/feel, consistency, carry.

Again, I don't really care about this, and you were a good enough player anyway. The thing I was defending, was the low single digit handicaps who are only trying to help mid to high handicaps play better. Missed greens from 20 yards doesn't take a huge amount of time, but it's still potentially a couple extra strokes per hole and they have to wait.

I have a set of Mizuno MP-33 that I use on occasion, and I can hit them to distance almost all of the time. My dispersion is at least 10 yards wider with them than my regular playing clubs. Couple degrees off at setup could easily cost me a green. The same setup error is less bad with a higher spinning and higher trajectory GI type club.

GI itons are not higher spinning then blades.

They are meant for high Launch and low spin. Which gives you distance and hopefully less shots off line due to lower spin

14

#135 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostKale_m, on 14 November 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 14 November 2017 - 08:40 AM, said:

View Postmallrat, on 14 November 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 12 November 2017 - 09:17 PM, said:

View Postmallrat, on 12 November 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

Not to be rude but isn't the topic of this thread about playing blades and not pace of play (which has 10 million threads that turn into arguments already)
Not rude at all, but the answer is simple. Unless that bogey golfer has this terrific solid swing, it could be a pretty tedious and miserable a round with or behind him.

Any reasonable single digit player should discourage the use of blades and players clubs by bogey golfers, and make the game easier for everyone.

I have to respectfully disagree, not a single digit or a bogey golfer, well I was a 9 but now a high 12. But it is not my irons it's getting off the tee. My iron game has improved since I switched to my MP-4's but I picked up a pull off the tee that is costing 6-8 shots a round.

I play blades because that is what I like. When I look down it gives me a feeling of confidence and I know if I make a good smooth swing the ball will do what I want.

I went to a fitting about 2 weeks ago and the first 5 swings I hit were all over the place. The fitter said I should try a CB which I was totally open to. But he came back with a bunch of SGI irons that were just ugly. My numbers were ok with some but I hated most of them. He really liked the way I hit some TM heads that were ok. At the end I asked about the MP-18's. Affer 10 swings they had the tightest dispersion of the 7 heads he brought out for me. Ball speed was a tick slower but carry was only 3 yards less. He still recommended the TM's based on smash factor and carry distance. Carry distance is probably 4th on my list of importance. Dispersion, comfort/feel, consistency, carry.

Again, I don't really care about this, and you were a good enough player anyway. The thing I was defending, was the low single digit handicaps who are only trying to help mid to high handicaps play better. Missed greens from 20 yards doesn't take a huge amount of time, but it's still potentially a couple extra strokes per hole and they have to wait.

I have a set of Mizuno MP-33 that I use on occasion, and I can hit them to distance almost all of the time. My dispersion is at least 10 yards wider with them than my regular playing clubs. Couple degrees off at setup could easily cost me a green. The same setup error is less bad with a higher spinning and higher trajectory GI type club.

GI itons are not higher spinning then blades.

They are meant for high Launch and low spin. Which gives you distance and hopefully less shots off line due to lower spin
At slower swing speeds that seems to be the case, but at higher swing speeds you get a lot more spin and trajectory than with a blade, The nice thing about blades is their distance control, but that's about it.

Spin, trajectory and left/right control are much harder to get with a blade. You need a really high swing speed to really be able to use blades effectively.


15

#136 Beast10

Beast10

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 461422
  • Joined: 03/31/2017
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

View PostHubijerk, on 14 November 2017 - 02:15 AM, said:

I also think it makes a difference what you played in youre formative years.. i actually dont feel like blades are hard to hit but i also learned on wooden woods and old rusty blades that were heavy as hell, i even used a wooden baffler 5w in highschool up until it exploded hitting a tee shot.  I always convince myself to get some help like my 765's but i always end up with a blade in my bag, and most people think my stuff is really heavy.. todays kids (im 36) never even saw a wooden wood.. its a different mindset... i still remember looking down at the 400cc nike driver and thinking it was huuuuge... that seems like a lifetime ago.
I agree, I was playing mp-25 before I got the mp-18 so I didnít see much difference in forgiveness and I pretty much hit on center, still compact head mid sized top line and standard lofts so the transition wasnít hard

16

#137 jetmech879

jetmech879

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44927
  • Joined: 01/02/2008
  • Location:Lexington, NC
  • Ebay ID:jetmech879
GolfWRX Likes : 246

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostHubijerk, on 14 November 2017 - 02:15 AM, said:

I also think it makes a difference what you played in youre formative years.. i actually dont feel like blades are hard to hit but i also learned on wooden woods and old rusty blades that were heavy as hell, i even used a wooden baffler 5w in highschool up until it exploded hitting a tee shot.  I always convince myself to get some help like my 765's but i always end up with a blade in my bag, and most people think my stuff is really heavy.. todays kids (im 36) never even saw a wooden wood.. its a different mindset... i still remember looking down at the 400cc nike driver and thinking it was huuuuge... that seems like a lifetime ago.

Could not agree with you more! My first set of clubs in the late 80s was some hand me downs from my grandparents. Wilson blades is all I remember. I have never got along with 460cc drivers of GI irons.
Taylormade M1 430 TI 8į GD Tour AD M9003 6x
Taylormade M2 TI 14.2į DF GD Tour AD GT 8x
Mizuno MP 18 MMC FLI-HI 2-4 iron PX 6.5
Mizuno MP 18 SC 5 & 6, blade 7-pw PX 6.5
Mizuno T7 blue 53-10, 59-09 DG TI S400
Mizuno MP A-308 Putter

17

#138 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133399
  • Joined: 07/18/2011
  • Location:spruce grove alberta
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 554

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:43 PM

I see now that some folks are adding in "high handicappers" into the conversation to add some validity to their statements. I agree there is a point where it isn't feasible for a golfer to use a compact iron when there mishits greatly outnumber the solid shots that end up in the general area of the target. However there is a great variance in the abilities of those who shoot between 82 and 92. If those who are arguing the use of blades by mid handicappers can see that point, then we can all get along... if you can't, then you are part of the problem in both the industry and within the forums of GolfWRX. Custom fitting is customized to an individual and not to a handicap group for a reason... remember that. When we make generalizations about someone's ability based solely on a handicap number, we are being extremely narrow minded. I say play what you want and have fun doing it and the only person who can truly make that call is the person who has to go out and swing the clubs on the course... not the blade police. Cheers!!
Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
hybrid/ 5 wood pending...
Mizuno MP 18 Fly Hi 3 iron with Project X LZ 6.0 1deg flat
Irons pending... although i want to say f*** it and rock a set of blades for once lol
Vokey 54deg M grind SM5 wedge set 2 deg flat with DG wedge flex shaft
Cameron Futura X7M 36" counterbalanced
Calloway Chrome soft

18

#139 MrWolf

MrWolf

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,016 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:O-Town, ON
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6062

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

WRX 15 cap.

Hits it 300 (usually carry)
Hits 7 iron 170+
Middles it 80% of the time.
Struggles with putting.
///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

19

#140 dciccoritti

dciccoritti

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173476
  • Joined: 04/06/2012
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 949

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

View PostMrWolf, on 14 November 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

WRX low single digit cap.

Hits it 300 (usually carry)
Hits 7 iron 170+
Middles it 80% of the time.
Struggles with putting.
Tells others what they should play

Fixed it for you. ;-)

917 Driver | 718 MB Irons | SM6 Wedges | Futura 5CB Putter | ProV1x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#141 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133399
  • Joined: 07/18/2011
  • Location:spruce grove alberta
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 554

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:09 PM

View Postdciccoritti, on 14 November 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

View PostMrWolf, on 14 November 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

WRX low single digit cap.

Hits it 300 (usually carry)
Hits 7 iron 170+
Middles it 80% of the time.
Struggles with putting.
Tells others what they should play

Fixed it for you. ;-)
This is gold.
Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
hybrid/ 5 wood pending...
Mizuno MP 18 Fly Hi 3 iron with Project X LZ 6.0 1deg flat
Irons pending... although i want to say f*** it and rock a set of blades for once lol
Vokey 54deg M grind SM5 wedge set 2 deg flat with DG wedge flex shaft
Cameron Futura X7M 36" counterbalanced
Calloway Chrome soft

21

#142 TCZ

TCZ

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273973
  • Joined: 09/01/2013
  • Location:Vancouver, BC, Canada
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....
Driver (10.5):  Titleist 917 D3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
4 Wood (16.5): Titleist 917 F2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (21):  Titleist 816H1 (Tour AD DI 85s)

4 iron:  Titleist T-MB (Modus 120s)
Irons (5-P):   Mizuno MP18 SC
(Modus 120s)
Wedges (50/54/58):   Mizuno S18 (Modus 120s)
Putter:  Miura KM-006

22

#143 chisag

chisag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Joined: 05/27/2005
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

View PostTCZ, on 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....

... This just goes round and round and round with the same people saying the same things. Most Pro's don't play MB's because even they appreciate even a little forgiveness especially in their long or middle irons, although the majority do not play them at all. As an instructor working with students that wanted to improve their game, I took MB's out of their hands of all but 2 students. There are no doubt Am's that play their best golf with MB's for a myriad of reasons but they are by far the minority. Now that said ...

... there are so many more reasons to play golf other than shooting the lowest score. And if someone, ANYONE, wants to play MB's because ... well it doesn't need a because. If anyone wants to play MB's for any reason, they should do exactly that. It isn't anyone else's business, unless asked, what any given golfer chooses to put in their bags. We have all run across "posers" but I have never considered anyone a poser by the type of club in their bag. If you shoot 110 and have a Cobra Staff bag, with King Pro irons, Flat brimmed orange Cobra hat, Cobra shoes and a bad mustache at 45 years old ... you might be a poser. But I have never seen any player using MB's regardless of index and thought they were a poser. And if someone does think you are a poser they are not worth a second of your time. Play what makes you happy. Isn't that why we are on a golf forum, to share our equipment stories and exchange idea's and experiences with others?
10.5* Epic Rogue Black Tour 110  60s
19* Adams LS hybrid Kuro Kage 85Hys
19.5* Cobra King Utility Rogue Black 85Hys
21.5* RBZ Tour Altus 85HYs
4/5 TM UDi Recoil Prototype 95s
6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95s
52* SM6 F Grind Recoil 110s
58* SM6 M Grind Recoil 110s
33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

23

#144 dciccoritti

dciccoritti

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173476
  • Joined: 04/06/2012
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 949

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostTCZ, on 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....

Golf is a journey among many other things. And if at this point in your journey you want to play a set of blades, then you should, regardless of what anyone says or thinks.

Follow your heart and don't let anyone ever get in the way of it. All that we do along the way can only make us better and ultimately helps us find what's best for us as individuals.

My personal belief is that equipment should not be purchased based on handicap, but rather should match your personality and character.
917 Driver | 718 MB Irons | SM6 Wedges | Futura 5CB Putter | ProV1x

24

#145 eRock_Reno

eRock_Reno

    eRock_Reno

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383976
  • Joined: 07/02/2015
  • Location:Northern Nevada
  • Handicap:4.5
  • Ebay ID:erock_reno
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

My buddy actually just got a set of MP-18s custom fit at Haggin Oaks. He is a 10 hdcp and I've never seen him hit the ball better than he did last weekend. His iron shots were really good.

Srixon Z745 10.5° Driver Attas 6STAR 6S
Callaway Alpha 816 3 wood 15° Aldila Rogue RIP I/O 70S
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S
Srixon Z965 6-PW, Z565 4-5 C-Taper 120S
Callaway MD3 Black S-Grind 50°, W-Grind 54°, S-grind 58°, C-Grind 64°
Odyssey White Hot Pro #7
2016 Ping Hoofer Orange/Gray
2017 ProV1X / Snell MTB

25

#146 mallrat

mallrat

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
  • Joined: 02/15/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 1071

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostTCZ, on 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....

IMO, one reason a lot of younger high level golfers donít play blades is they werenít brought up on them.

26

#147 cliffhanger

cliffhanger

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133399
  • Joined: 07/18/2011
  • Location:spruce grove alberta
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 554

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:23 PM

View Postmallrat, on 14 November 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostTCZ, on 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....

IMO, one reason a lot of younger high level golfers don't play blades is they weren't brought up on them.
I believe it is more than just an opinion... you have a valid point there... kids these days are brought up drinking from the Kool-Aid fountain of forgiveness.
Driver pending...
3 wood pending...
hybrid/ 5 wood pending...
Mizuno MP 18 Fly Hi 3 iron with Project X LZ 6.0 1deg flat
Irons pending... although i want to say f*** it and rock a set of blades for once lol
Vokey 54deg M grind SM5 wedge set 2 deg flat with DG wedge flex shaft
Cameron Futura X7M 36" counterbalanced
Calloway Chrome soft

27

#148 chisag

chisag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Joined: 05/27/2005
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

View Postcliffhanger, on 14 November 2017 - 06:23 PM, said:

View Postmallrat, on 14 November 2017 - 05:52 PM, said:

View PostTCZ, on 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....

IMO, one reason a lot of younger high level golfers don't play blades is they weren't brought up on them.
I believe it is more than just an opinion... you have a valid point there... kids these days are brought up drinking from the Kool-Aid fountain of forgiveness.

... Kool Aid? Well for someone preaching play what you like, your true colors are showing. I grew up playing MB's and enjoyed that journey down to a 10 or so. But I would have never gotten to a + index had I not made the switch to Players CB's.
10.5* Epic Rogue Black Tour 110  60s
19* Adams LS hybrid Kuro Kage 85Hys
19.5* Cobra King Utility Rogue Black 85Hys
21.5* RBZ Tour Altus 85HYs
4/5 TM UDi Recoil Prototype 95s
6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95s
52* SM6 F Grind Recoil 110s
58* SM6 M Grind Recoil 110s
33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

28

#149 chisag

chisag

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1163
  • Joined: 05/27/2005
  • Location:Chicago Suburbs
  • Handicap:+0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 526

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

View Postdciccoritti, on 14 November 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

View PostTCZ, on 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....

Golf is a journey among many other things. And if at this point in your journey you want to play a set of blades, then you should, regardless of what anyone says or thinks.

Follow your heart and don't let anyone ever get in the way of it. All that we do along the way can only make us better and ultimately helps us find what's best for us as individuals.

My personal belief is that equipment should not be purchased based on handicap, but rather should match your personality and character.

... This is a new take on things. My personality and character dictate I play whatever allows me to shoot the lowest score. So I play forged CB's BUT I do have hot pink shafts in them!
10.5* Epic Rogue Black Tour 110  60s
19* Adams LS hybrid Kuro Kage 85Hys
19.5* Cobra King Utility Rogue Black 85Hys
21.5* RBZ Tour Altus 85HYs
4/5 TM UDi Recoil Prototype 95s
6-pw Cobra King Forged Tour Recoil Prototype 95s
52* SM6 F Grind Recoil 110s
58* SM6 M Grind Recoil 110s
33.5" Bobby Grace 6330

29

#150 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:53 PM

View PostTCZ, on 14 November 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

Total honesty....  A bit sad but the reason I don't play blades is my own insecurity!  I was close to pulling the trigger a couple of times this past year, but didn't.  Primarily because I play with a number of golfers that are  significantly better than I am at my club (scratch guys that play a lot of competitive golf) and not one of them uses blades. I fear looking like a poser.  I know that I shouldn't worry about what others think, but the last thing I need to worry about during a round is what others 'might' be thinking about my clubs!  Already enough going on in my brain....

Well, these are all good points. On the flip side, don't worry about what other people think about your things, especially since you have low single digit handicap skill to use them.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



15 user(s) are reading this topic

6 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Azgolfnut1, grumbles, chisag, drew123, buzlin, sajohnson

GolfWRX Sponsors