Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My 12 Yr Old Joining Men's Club

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

I am seriously considering having my 12-yr old son join the local muni men's club with me for 2018, I would be a new member too. Been ages since I was in NCGA, etc. it might be good for his development as a player I think, but I welcome comments from others who have done this. He can play and I'm pretty sure his HC would be in the teens.

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

I don't think it's a horrible idea but check the bylaws of the club plus you're going to have to weigh the thought of betting that goes on in golf clubs.  Ours have an age minimum of 16 but offer a free handicap through GHIN for kids under 18.

I'm pretty sure my boy knows more our our men's club members than I do.  Half the time he's on the putting green there will be groups rolling in that stop to say hi to him.  He comes home with some weird jokes from time to time as well.

#3 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 153

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:18 PM

This is from the recommended NCGA club by-laws page but you can still ask about getting him a handicap.

Posted Image

#4 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Thanks leezer. Yeah...the application for this club gives a big discount for members under 18. I appreciate the gambling comment. My kid would probably just chuckle and shrug it off...but certainly something to consider.

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:29 PM

Your kid, but i would never subject a kid to play in a regular organized menís group. First if he beats them there going to resent him. Some guys also want to speak freely and do not want kids around. They will talk about you and your son behind your back.  I have found out with my kids Not everyone will encourage kids to play.

You much better off having him play in junior tournaments and then play the father son tournaments when they come up. If you play enough tournaments you might even find a few people to play with on a regular basis.

Edited by tiger1873, 26 October 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

I have thought about this over and over with my 12 year old.  I know I could send him out with the men's group and win money.  I won't let him do it for a few more years.  The men should be able to have a good time without a 12 year old there.  Some of them are there to escape their own kids and don't want to be subjected to mine.  Golf for weekend hacker is an escape from the real world so the they can drink, curse, and smoke without women and kids around.  Figured I would wait a couple more years so they won't have to be embarrassed losing their money to a 12 year old.

Find junior tournaments to put him in.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 27 October 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#7 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

I think it's a terrible idea!  Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, but I certainly wouldn't want a 12-year old boy in my men's club group.  Hell, one of the reasons I'm out there is to get away from the kids!

Edited by oldpalchamp, 27 October 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#8 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

View Postoldpalchamp, on 27 October 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

I think it's a terrible idea!  Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, but I certainly wouldn't want a 12-year old boy in my men's club group.  Hell, one of the reasons I'm out there is to get away from the kids!

I gotta agree with this.

Unless you want your son to be around alcohol, cigars and foul language, I can't see this being a good idea.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there was resistance by the Men's Club Members. You join these kinds of things to have some adult time and get away from the kids!

Edited by JerseyBoy, 27 October 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#9 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

I appreciate all the comments on this. Will certainly reconsider.

#10 spezza11

spezza11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140275
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

View Postoldpalchamp, on 27 October 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

Taylormade r11s 10.5 (Diamana kaiíli stiff 70 x5ct)
Callaway RAZR X Black 5-wood 19 degree (stiff)
Titleist 910H 21 (Diamana ahina stiff)
Titleist 690.MB 3-PW (S300)
Vokey SM4 (oil can 54.11, black nickel 60.7 wedge flex)
Odyssey Metal X #8, 34"
Titleist Lightweight stand bag
Nike TW '14 white
Ball - any premium found used ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 spezza11

spezza11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

Yup old fuddy-Duddy
You donít think once in a while the odd time playing with 12-17 year old that can play and is constantly improving isnít a good idea??!! Thatís whatís wrong with golf. Look at it from their side. They would be nervous and trying their best to play a couple menís nights. Think about the positive returns if people would approve Juniors a little bit different. But no you canít play of your getting your game developed! If the club has a full junior offering and can do their own then yes stay there until your gettting your scores down close to whatever the average scoring is on menís night!

Time to looks these things differently
Odyssey Metal X #8, 34"
Nike TW '14 white

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

View Postspezza11, on 29 October 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

Yup old fuddy-Duddy
You don’t think once in a while the odd time playing with 12-17 year old that can play and is constantly improving isn’t a good idea??!! That’s what’s wrong with golf. Look at it from their side. They would be nervous and trying their best to play a couple men’s nights. Think about the positive returns if people would approve Juniors a little bit different. But no you can’t play of your getting your game developed! If the club has a full junior offering and can do their own then yes stay there until your gettting your scores down close to whatever the average scoring is on men’s night!

I have a 12 year old that is going to beat at least 90% of the male golfers at our club playing from the same tees.  If a junior is good they need to be playing to their level which is junior tournament golf in your state.

#13 spezza11

spezza11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 29 October 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Yup old fuddy-Duddy
You donít think once in a while the odd time playing with 12-17 year old that can play and is constantly improving isnít a good idea??!! Thatís whatís wrong with golf. Look at it from their side. They would be nervous and trying their best to play a couple menís nights. Think about the positive returns if people would approve Juniors a little bit different. But no you canít play of your getting your game developed! If the club has a full junior offering and can do their own then yes stay there until your gettting your scores down close to whatever the average scoring is on menís night!

I have a 12 year old that is going to beat at least 90% of the male golfers at our club playing from the same tees.  If a junior is good they need to be playing to their level which is junior tournament golf in your state.

For some that have access (money and parents willing) to that sure but for a lot that isnít always the case for one reason or the other. It wouldnít be a common theme for young teenagers beating guys regularity that have played for a period of time. I believe we need to do a better job with inclusion and encouragement of juniors in our clubs.
Odyssey Metal X #8, 34"
Nike TW '14 white

#14 Ping Zings

Ping Zings

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128178
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Beerperhole, I say go for it.
Posted Image

#15 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Yup old fuddy-Duddy
You don't think once in a while the odd time playing with 12-17 year old that can play and is constantly improving isn't a good idea??!! That's what's wrong with golf. Look at it from their side. They would be nervous and trying their best to play a couple men's nights. Think about the positive returns if people would approve Juniors a little bit different. But no you can't play of your getting your game developed! If the club has a full junior offering and can do their own then yes stay there until your gettting your scores down close to whatever the average scoring is on men's night!

I don't think anyone is saying to not play with Juniors. I think the take away is that a "Men's Club" is for Adults to get together without kids around and have some good old fashioned Adult time. Some good drinks, good cigars, dirty jokes and some stories that may not be appropriate for younger ears.

I personally know for sure that there are plenty of Juniors out there that are MUCH better than me as I am just starting out and am 44 years old. I couldn't care less that they would beat the tar out of me on the course. That being said, if I join a Men's Club, it's not to have kids around. Why is that bad?

I know in my community there are loads of opportunities for Juniors to compete.

Edited by JerseyBoy, 29 October 2017 - 08:13 PM.

#16 spezza11

spezza11

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

View PostJerseyBoy, on 29 October 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Yup old fuddy-Duddy
You don't think once in a while the odd time playing with 12-17 year old that can play and is constantly improving isn't a good idea??!! That's what's wrong with golf. Look at it from their side. They would be nervous and trying their best to play a couple men's nights. Think about the positive returns if people would approve Juniors a little bit different. But no you can't play of your getting your game developed! If the club has a full junior offering and can do their own then yes stay there until your gettting your scores down close to whatever the average scoring is on men's night!

I don't think anyone is saying to not play with Juniors. I think the take away is that a "Men's Club" is for Adults to get together without kids around and have some good old fashioned Adult time. Some good drinks, good cigars, dirty jokes and some stories that may not be appropriate for younger ears.

I personally know for sure that there are plenty of Juniors out there that are MUCH better than me as I am just starting out and am 44 years old. I couldn't care less that they would beat the tar out of me on the course. That being said, if I join a Men's Club, it's not to have kids around. Why is that bad?

Not bad at all I agree thatís thatís all great stuff for us all Iím saying is that sometimes haveing the odd junior come out isnt a bad thing to show him the ropes so to speak.

Odyssey Metal X #8, 34"
Nike TW '14 white

#17 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

View Postspezza11, on 29 October 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 29 October 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Yup old fuddy-Duddy

For some that have access (money and parents willing) to that sure but for a lot that isnít always the case for one reason or the other. It wouldnít be a common theme for young teenagers beating guys regularity that have played for a period of time. I believe we need to do a better job with inclusion and encouragement of juniors in our clubs.

All sports require parents to be willing to support the kids playing them. It also takes money to play sports. competitively. I donít care what the sport is it costs money to travel and get lessons and outfit properly.

Most junior tournaments are actually pretty reasonable and if there a teenager they can be dropped off. I also donít think money is an issue because if someone really wanted to play golf but didnít have a dime to their name I would bet plenty of people would sponsor them. There is plenty of ways to do pay golf for very little money if one wants to.

When it comes to county clubs some clubs include juniors others are not really a good environment for them. As a parent with kids I would not join a club or play at a course that is angainst juniors playing. To be honest most of those clubs will be gone in a few years because they need new members like me who has kids who play golf but chase them away. The good clubs have plenty of outlets for kids to play with other kids.

Edited by tiger1873, 29 October 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#18 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

View Postspezza11, on 29 October 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

View PostJerseyBoy, on 29 October 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

Yup old fuddy-Duddy

Not bad at all I agree that's that's all great stuff for us all I'm saying is that sometimes haveing the odd junior come out isnt a bad thing to show him the ropes so to speak.

100% Disagree.  Inclusion of juniors into clubs isn't having them join the men's group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors