Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Your favorite pitching drill for juniors

36 replies to this topic

#31 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10079

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 November 2017 - 07:27 PM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 01 November 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 01 November 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 November 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

But our kids put within 6 feet of the cup.

It's weird right?  Probably the hardest part of the game for adults is the easiest part of the game for juniors.  Must be the unfettered mind.

Here is the amazing part.

I can tell him to hit a "Chip" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Pitch" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Flop" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Punch" shot from the rough and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Sand" shot from the rough and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

Amazing a 12 year old knows the difference in Chip Shots, Pitch shots, and Specialty shots and a grown man doesn't have a clue!!!  SMH

Go on and shake your head some more.

I have a clue (triple !!!). I can hit all those shots quite well. However, why do you insist that I put your labels on them?  This is just a matter of semantics. What name do you attach to any particular shot? Who made you the keeper of shot names? There are too many variants of short shots to try to classify them all into either pitches or chips.

Who made you the shot caller? You say a pitch lands 2/3 of the way to the hole - what about 1/2, or 3/4, or 9/10? What semantic label are you going to attach to those shots? You say a pitch gets some loft and lands soft while a chip is low and rolls; what do would you say to your incredibly gifted son to hit something right in between those? Except for those two clear distinctive shots, pretty much everything else is a 'specialty shot'. Why the insistence on labeling to begin with?

It's like calling a low draw driver a 'driller', and a high fade driver a 'floater', and insisting that everyone adheres to those terms. Ridiculous.

Please stop trolling me.

Wait... What????  You are the one that never posts in the Junior section and decided to troll.  SMH

LOL...  it isn’t labeling shots, that is their names.  Ever read Golf Digest or watch the golf channel?

My first post in this thread was about how I took my stepdaughter out onto the back 9 late in the day to practice chipping/pitching. I got a bunch of likes. So there goes your troll theory.

Then I simply stated that I never really understood the distinction between chipping and pitching, and you decided to make fun of me. That was a real man move.

Then I defended myself and you kept pressing like a real internet warrior. Very brave.

OK, you insist that these shots are distinctive, discreet, and totally unique (I hope you understand those words), then what about a mid distance, mid trajectory shot that rolls out but not too much? What do you call that?

And yes, I have had my fill of Golf Indigestion and Golf Chunder. Maybe they are why you insist on 'channeling' the most creative part of the game into two categories. Meanwhile, I'm sure my stepdaughter and I could show you and your son how to play the short game while you are busy putting your shots into categories.

The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 256

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:11 PM

Thug Bunny I understand exactly what you are saying.  HH is a black and white thinker.  He leaves no room for any gray.  He fancies himself as some kind of authority in here.  If you donít agree with his way then you are wrong.  Even if your experience is different, doesnít matter, you are wrong.  Itís become quite comical.

#33 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10079

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

View PostNoles, on 01 November 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Thug Bunny I understand exactly what you are saying.  HH is a black and white thinker.  He leaves no room for any gray.  He fancies himself as some kind of authority in here.  If you don't agree with his way then you are wrong.  Even if your experience is different, doesn't matter, you are wrong.  It's become quite comical.

Thanks noles. I think I have seen him in this kind of exchange before. It's hard to stay disengaged though...

OK, I'm done! Thanks again man...
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#34 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 01 November 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

My first post in this thread was about how I took my stepdaughter out onto the back 9 late in the day to practice chipping/pitching. I got a bunch of likes. So there goes your troll theory.

Then I simply stated that I never really understood the distinction between chipping and pitching, and you decided to make fun of me. That was a real man move.

Then I defended myself and you kept pressing like a real internet warrior. Very brave.

OK, you insist that these shots are distinctive, discreet, and totally unique (I hope you understand those words), then what about a mid distance, mid trajectory shot that rolls out but not too much? What do you call that?

And yes, I have had my fill of Golf Indigestion and Golf Chunder. Maybe they are why you insist on 'channeling' the most creative part of the game into two categories. Meanwhile, I'm sure my stepdaughter and I could show you and your son how to play the short game while you are busy putting your shots into categories.

Lol... SMH...  ask your step-daughters instructor.  I am not an authority.  I know nothing though I have been to countless clinics., lessons with the best instructors in the country, and I have a kid that plays golf collegiately.  Keep doing your thing and you as well as your step-daughter will be fine.

Good luck.

Chips and Pitches my friend.

#35 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=8tr_WtDGyQk

#36 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=0dpLSvCKJ6E

#37 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

Go out to a hole on your course that has a fairly flat green. This way you can hit low or high shots. Place an alignment stick (club, cones) down every 10 yards starting at 15 yds from the hole. The game is you get three shots to get the ball in the hole. If you make it from the first marker then you keep moving back. If you fail to make it, then you stay on the mark that you were previously at. The winner is the one who finishes the course first. You can go back as far as you want. If you want to make it harder, dictate what club they use or what kind of shot they have to hit. My kids love it because they have a set score they have to get so it gives them something to focus on. It also includes putting so that is a plus as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors