Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Your favorite pitching drill for juniors

36 replies to this topic

#1 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

What are some of your favorite pitching drills for your junior(s)?   I mostly work on the fundamentals since my kid is 6 (coming up on 7). We typically use SW around the green as that is his preferred club that he likes. We generally do the basics:

* Short chips to pins close
* Med chips to pins halfway across green
* Long chips to pins all the way across the green.
* Vary the above on uphill/downhill.

I don't want to make it complex, but would like to start getting him to learn other chipping techniques related to how the ball lies, angles, etc...  What sort of things are others teaching their juniors at this age? Flop shots? Pitch/run with a 6/7-iron?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

First thing you need to do is stop calling them drills... ever heard of a fun or friendly Drill Sergeant?  Gamification for youth is where it's at.  Create challenges (instead of drills) that allow them to collect points towards a reward.  Make up whatever games you choose and get them excited about it.  Once they're more advanced you can treat it like basic training but at 7/8 just keep it fun.

#3 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

View Postleezer99, on 25 October 2017 - 02:21 PM, said:

First thing you need to do is stop calling them drills... ever heard of a fun or friendly Drill Sergeant?  Gamification for youth is where it's at.  Create challenges (instead of drills) that allow them to collect points towards a reward.  Make up whatever games you choose and get them excited about it.  Once they're more advanced you can treat it like basic training but at 7/8 just keep it fun.

LOL on the "drills".  And no, I don't call them drills with the kid. We actually make games out of  it.  I guess the next time we go we'll start the "PW vs the 6-iron pitch-n-run contest".

#4 MikekiM

MikekiM

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415850
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

We like to set out baskets to pitch into. Practice high and low shots trying to make into the basket set out at various distances.
Taylor Made R15
Ping G25
Taylor Made Jetspeed Hybrid
Titleist T-MB
Titleist 716 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6
Scotty Cameron Newport
K-Sig Ball

#5 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 25 October 2017 - 02:47 PM, said:

LOL on the "drills".  And no, I don't call them drills with the kid. We actually make games out of  it.  I guess the next time we go we'll start the "PW vs the 6-iron pitch-n-run contest".

Sorry, I get worked up whenever I see 'drills', 'grinding' or 'working on' in relation to anything in youth sports.  :clapping:

#6 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:34 PM

View Postleezer99, on 25 October 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

Sorry, I get worked up whenever I see 'drills', 'grinding' or 'working on' in relation to anything in youth sports.  :clapping:

No worries. I have to make sure I keep myself dialed back also at times. It's never too far away to slip into the overbearing parent/coach thing.

Perhaps I should change the question:  So what's you favorite chipping game with your junior?  :golfer:

#7 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:24 PM

Pitch to a towel laid out a specified distance

I think the sooner kids realize practice = improvement the better, so I don’t mind labeling it as such and hammering home the ethic that hard work equates to success

#8 hangontight

hangontight

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

Yeah, "games" or "competions" are key.  Mine turns 7 tomorrow.  I've found that "competitions" of any kind ,  me vs. him , are most helpful.  Up and down comp., closest to the pin , use different clubs, use obstacles (I.e. from behind the bench next to the practice green or over the bag to a close pin), Tic tac toe (our course often has a TTT grid painted on the chipping area).  I always alternate who gets to pick the lie/starting position, obviosly use different lies, and allternate who gets to pick what game we play.  My favorite is up and down , two birds with one stone sorta thing.  He would usually pick TTT.   Occasionally will use drills in disguise as games.  Sprinkle in a little instruction or light tips when needed , but amazing how they will adjust and improve in the pressure to compete against good old dad without being subjected rill to repetitive drills.

#9 b.helts

b.helts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100214
GolfWRX Likes : 2011

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

Lay down a club a couple of feet onto the green to a shortish pin. Say 10 or 15 feet from the club. Start close chipping to the pin, making sure the ball carries over the club laid down on the green. Slowly move back as you go. As you move farther back, the shots become more difficult, requiring higher, softer shots. Teaches trajectory control and soft hands.

As you get better make the distance between the club and pin shorter.

To make it somewhat competitive, see who can carry the club and keep it short of the hole.

#10 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10079

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Whatever drills you choose, I found that if you go to the 9th green on a late afternoon (or anywhere on the front 9 so there are not many golfers coming through), it is much different than going to a practice green. I have done that many times with my stepdaughter. I always lay down a water bottle as a target and we practice everything from 8i bump n runs to 30 yd chips with plenty of air under them. Shaft forward for low shots, shaft vertical for higher shots. Rough, fairway, everything. 3 balls for each shot. If you see golfers approaching just get off the green and watch them play through, then resume. It works. (You will be making a lot of divots so be sure to replace all of them)

The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

Some great ideas above. Tonight we played the 6i vs PW contest. I had him hit a total of 10 balls with PW across the green (maybe 35 feet) and then 10 balls with 6i bump-n-run across the green. The winning club was the one that hit the most inside one driver length. PW won the first couple rounds but the 6i came on strong and won a couple rounds.  I described it is a new "trick" way to hit the ball to the hole. I think he dug it.

I like the idea of heading out on the course late in the day. I'm gonna check with our course and see if they will let us do that on #9 next time we head out.

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

I get worked up when someone asks about pitching and then talks about chipping.  Two totally different techniques.

So I will answer with what we have been working on lately with a pitching game and chipping game.

Pitching:  We will do this at our short game area, though I like doing it on the course better.  We always carry Frisbees and a football in our cart.  Being fortunate to live on a golf course when we go out in the evenings and no one else is around we will toss the football and friesbees.  I use the frisbees and do a Pelz drill that I saw that I liked.  I put a frisbee 6 foot off the collar of the green.  I then put tees stationed 10 yds, 20 yds, 30 yds, 40 yds away from that target.  He practices about 10 shots from each spot then the game begins.  The goal is to hit the target and if he does it is an eagle.  If he hits within in 3 feet he gets a birdie.  Inside 6 ft is a par.  Outside of 6 feet is a bogey.  He gets 1 shot from 10,20,30,40,40,30,20,10 for a total of 8 shots and the goal is to see what the lowest score he can get is.  Great target drill practice and you don't care where the ball ends up.  You care whether or not you hit your target.

Chipping/Pitch/Bunker/Putting:  We usually do this out on the course as well.  I grab 7i-60degree wedge and his putter.  He gets nine shots off the green of my choosing.  I give him 6 chips, 2 pitches, and a bunker shot.  He must hit the shot and then go make the putt.  He must choose the shot, choose the club, attempt the shot then try to make the putt.  The goal is to be +3 or less after 9 holes.  I will work a variety of shots and lies.  If he is doing well the nastier I make the shots and lies.  If he is doing poorly I try to make it a little easier to promote success.

#13 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 26 October 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

I get worked up when someone asks about pitching and then talks about chipping.  Two totally different techniques.

So I will answer with what we have been working on lately with a pitching game and chipping game.

Pitching:  We will do this at our short game area, though I like doing it on the course better.  We always carry Frisbees and a football in our cart.  Being fortunate to live on a golf course when we go out in the evenings and no one else is around we will toss the football and friesbees.  I use the frisbees and do a Pelz drill that I saw that I liked.  I put a frisbee 6 foot off the collar of the green.  I then put tees stationed 10 yds, 20 yds, 30 yds, 40 yds away from that target.  He practices about 10 shots from each spot then the game begins.  The goal is to hit the target and if he does it is an eagle.  If he hits within in 3 feet he gets a birdie.  Inside 6 ft is a par.  Outside of 6 feet is a bogey.  He gets 1 shot from 10,20,30,40,40,30,20,10 for a total of 8 shots and the goal is to see what the lowest score he can get is.  Great target drill practice and you don't care where the ball ends up.  You care whether or not you hit your target.

Chipping/Pitch/Bunker/Putting:  We usually do this out on the course as well.  I grab 7i-60degree wedge and his putter.  He gets nine shots off the green of my choosing.  I give him 6 chips, 2 pitches, and a bunker shot.  He must hit the shot and then go make the putt.  He must choose the shot, choose the club, attempt the shot then try to make the putt.  The goal is to be +3 or less after 9 holes.  I will work a variety of shots and lies.  If he is doing well the nastier I make the shots and lies.  If he is doing poorly I try to make it a little easier to promote success.

Are we brothers or something?  My boy and I take the football out as well.... usually goes like this, 'run towards that tree and then slant back to your ball and I'll hit you'... followed up with a miserable attempt at a one handed OBJ catch.

#14 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

View Postleezer99, on 26 October 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

Are we brothers or something?  My boy and I take the football out as well.... usually goes like this, 'run towards that tree and then slant back to your ball and I'll hit you'... followed up with a miserable attempt at a one handed OBJ catch.

Football throwing motion as well as the frisbee is great for the golf motion.

We spend a lot of time running routes on the course and making up plays.  Just have fun.

We like taking the BB Gun to the course as well.

#15 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

My faux pas for being so careless with the pitching vs chipping terms. I am keenly aware that they are different animals.

Edited by wildcatden, 26 October 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#16 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:19 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 26 October 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

My faux pas for being so careless with the pitching vs chipping terms. I am keenly aware that they are different animals.
:ban:   LOL

#17 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

OK so I have played for 25 years and I still don't know the 'formal' distinction between pitching and chipping, if indeed there is a consensus on the difference. I do know how to produce different ball flights from different distances with different clubs, but I never knew what semantics to attach to any of those different shots. Please educate...
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#18 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

View Postthug the bunny, on 30 October 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

OK so I have played for 25 years and I still don't know the 'formal' distinction between pitching and chipping, if indeed there is a consensus on the difference. I do know how to produce different ball flights from different distances with different clubs, but I never knew what semantics to attach to any of those different shots. Please educate...

A pitch shot is a shot that is lofted high and hits two thirds of the way to the cup and releases the rest of the way.  The ball and ground is often struck at the same time in a pitch.  These shots spend more time in the air.

A chip you will hit lower and closer to the ground.  The ball is usually struck first.  These shots spend more time rolling on the ground.

#19 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 31 October 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

View Postthug the bunny, on 30 October 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

A pitch shot is a shot that is lofted high and hits two thirds of the way to the cup and releases the rest of the way.  The ball and ground is often struck at the same time in a pitch.  These shots spend more time in the air.

A chip you will hit lower and closer to the ground.  The ball is usually struck first.  These shots spend more time rolling on the ground.

I can describe 20 different shots that don't fit into those neat categories. What about a little open face splash out of rough only 5 yds off the green that catches some air, lands soft, and rolls out another 20 ft? What about a punch from 30 yds out that catches the front slope and checks up and only rolls 5 ft? This is why I have always disliked any insistence on adhering to semantic terms. Pitch, chip, who cares, just describe the shot you are talking about.

#20 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:47 AM

Rolls eyes.  Probably why you are an 8 handicap.  SMH.

We are talking about stock shots.  You are talking about specialty shots, which there are many.  Nice spin though.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 01 November 2017 - 09:32 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:45 AM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 November 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

You are talking about specialty shots, which there are many.  Nice spin though.

What did I say to elicit your derision? Thanks. And I guess you're referring to my 8hc in a mocking way. Well, I'm up to a 10 lately, so you can mock me even more.

Thanks again.

#22 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Try reading or watching these:

https://www.golftec....ifferentiators/

https://www.golfdige...-chip-pitch-lob

https://www.youtube....h?v=0dpLSvCKJ6E

As in life, there are no hard or fast rules in golf. In my decades of playing golf, it has always been understood that there is difference between a pitch and a chip. It's nothing to be obtuse about.

Edited by wildcatden, 01 November 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#23 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

It's easy...

A pitch is something that I skull 27 yards over the green

A chip is something I flub and leave short of the green.

#24 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:15 AM

View Postleezer99, on 01 November 2017 - 11:12 AM, said:

It's easy...

But our kids put within 6 feet of the cup.

#25 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 November 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

It's easy...

It's weird right?  Probably the hardest part of the game for adults is the easiest part of the game for juniors.  Must be the unfettered mind.

#26 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

View Postleezer99, on 01 November 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

It's easy...

It's weird right?  Probably the hardest part of the game for adults is the easiest part of the game for juniors.  Must be the unfettered mind.

Here is the amazing part.

I can tell him to hit a "Chip" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Pitch" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Flop" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Punch" shot from the rough and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Sand" shot from the rough and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

Amazing a 12 year old knows the difference in Chip Shots, Pitch shots, and Specialty shots and a grown man doesn't have a clue!!!  SMH

#27 Cwebb

Cwebb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
GolfWRX Likes : 1084

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

We are talking about stock shots.  You are talking about specialty shots, which there are many.  Nice spin though.

I've noticed that most of the guys who don't use the term chipping, are those that use lofted wedges for all shots around the green, regardless of how much green there is to work with.  In essence, they pitch everything.  Even a 20 foot shot with 15 feet of green is still a short pitch for them.

Those into chipping, are wiling to use irons such as 9,8,7 to get the ball just on the green with no check...and roll smoothly to the hole

#28 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostCwebb, on 01 November 2017 - 02:33 PM, said:

I've noticed that most of the guys who don't use the term chipping, are those that use lofted wedges for all shots around the green, regardless of how much green there is to work with.  In essence, they pitch everything.  Even a 20 foot shot with 15 feet of green is still a short pitch for them.

Those into chipping, are wiling to use irons such as 9,8,7 to get the ball just on the green with no check...and roll smoothly to the hole

Absolutely.  Those guys that do both are known as really good golfers.  Weekend hackers should probably use the lower lofted clubs.

#29 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,933 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

It's easy...

I can tell him to hit a "Chip" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Pitch" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Flop" shot and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Punch" shot from the rough and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

I can tell him to hit a "Sand" shot from the rough and he knows exactly what I am talking about and the technique needed.  He then pulls it off.

Amazing a 12 year old knows the difference in Chip Shots, Pitch shots, and Specialty shots and a grown man doesn't have a clue!!!  SMH

Go on and shake your head some more.

I have a clue (triple !!!). I can hit all those shots quite well. However, why do you insist that I put your labels on them?  This is just a matter of semantics. What name do you attach to any particular shot? Who made you the keeper of shot names? There are too many variants of short shots to try to classify them all into either pitches or chips.

Who made you the shot caller? You say a pitch lands 2/3 of the way to the hole - what about 1/2, or 3/4, or 9/10? What semantic label are you going to attach to those shots? You say a pitch gets some loft and lands soft while a chip is low and rolls; what do would you say to your incredibly gifted son to hit something right in between those? Except for those two clear distinctive shots, pretty much everything else is a 'specialty shot'. Why the insistence on labeling to begin with?

It's like calling a low draw driver a 'driller', and a high fade driver a 'floater', and insisting that everyone adheres to those terms. Ridiculous.

Please stop trolling me.

Edited by thug the bunny, 01 November 2017 - 07:13 PM.

#30 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

View Postthug the bunny, on 01 November 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 01 November 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

It's easy...

Go on and shake your head some more.

I have a clue (triple !!!). I can hit all those shots quite well. However, why do you insist that I put your labels on them?  This is just a matter of semantics. What name do you attach to any particular shot? Who made you the keeper of shot names? There are too many variants of short shots to try to classify them all into either pitches or chips.

Who made you the shot caller? You say a pitch lands 2/3 of the way to the hole - what about 1/2, or 3/4, or 9/10? What semantic label are you going to attach to those shots? You say a pitch gets some loft and lands soft while a chip is low and rolls; what do would you say to your incredibly gifted son to hit something right in between those? Except for those two clear distinctive shots, pretty much everything else is a 'specialty shot'. Why the insistence on labeling to begin with?

It's like calling a low draw driver a 'driller', and a high fade driver a 'floater', and insisting that everyone adheres to those terms. Ridiculous.

Please stop trolling me.

Wait... What????  You are the one that never posts in the Junior section and decided to troll.  SMH

LOL...  it isn’t labeling shots, that is their names.  Ever read Golf Digest or watch the golf channel?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors