Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Any other hikers out there?

155 replies to this topic

#151 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56737
GolfWRX Likes : 4072

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

View Postmoegolfer11, on 24 April 2018 - 06:57 AM, said:

One Putt, What kind of shoes are you using? Trail runners or boots?

Apparently I have a very weird foot. Most of the more popular shoes. Salomon Keen Merrell TNF etc just do not fit my foot very well and dig into the spot on my foot where my arch meets my heel.

For hikes that do not involve any real technical stuff La Sportiva Wildcat trail runners. I love these things super comfy for high mileage, great stock insole too. Downside is not a lot of great grip for scrambles.  These will 100% be my AZ Trail shoes once I start that journey.
Posted Image

For more adventurous hikes/scrambles. Adidas Terrex Swift R These things are borderline approach shoes in terms of soft rubber and grip on exposed rock. Super grippy with large aggressive tread. Downside is they are starting to show significant wear on the soles after 125 miles or so. Regardless of this I'll be buying another pair they are that good on sketchy rock. Other downside is stock insole kinda sucks so I use an aftermarket insole.  
Posted Image

@oneputtblunder
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#152 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:48 AM

Was playing golf in New Mexico over the weekend. Played 54 holes in two days, managed to find time to squeeze in a quick hike before jumping on a plane home. Sandia Mountain Wilderness part of the Cibola National Forest. Three Gun Spring trail 4.9 mile out and back 1591 AEG with 1573 of it coming on the hike up. Got up just shy of 8000 feet above sea level which was nice. Ponderosa pine and juniper, and finally a smoothish forest trail for me to walk. Cool views going up, reaching the ridgeline was not a great pay off just a dense forest without much view. There were a couple cool spots just below the ridgeline where you could scramble some big boulders and just chill on top and take in the valley views below.

Posted Image
Posted Image
This looked like it would be a fairly impressive waterfall after a good winter thaw.

Posted Image
High altitude forest awesomeness
Posted Image
Posted Image

Busy April, this put me just shy of 50 miles for the month and just shy of 10k AEG in 7 hikes including 2 short ones <3 miles
@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#153 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,139 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:16 PM

Starting Saturday will be 101 degrees plus for at least 10 straight days. :russian_roulette: Thankfully at this time of year still reasonably cool in the AM if you get out early enough lows in the mid 70's. First of my summer summits planned in two weeks will be nice to get up to 10,400 feet and get a good training run for my Humphrey's peak hike to 12,600+ feet in June.
@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#154 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,139 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

Saguaros in bloom, started to try and acclimatize myself to hiking in the heat. 1000AEG in 2 miles and turned around to go back down Upper 80's at 10am 100% exposed zero shade. Headed up to the Mountains this weekend which will be awesome. Also picked up a partner for the Arizona Trail. Targeting to start early Oct.  
Posted Image
@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#155 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,139 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 11:42 AM

Kendrick Peak Saturday 10,423 feet above sea level, followed by exploring some 675,000 year old lava tubes underground. Good training run at significant elevation. Did pretty well, struggled a hair the final couple hundred feet to the summit once we cracked 10,000 feet but not bad, Maintained an overall pace similar to what I would hike back down in the desert.

Summit view from 2700 feet below
Posted Image

Remnants of the Boundry fire in 2000 or one of the more recent smaller fires. We are so dry right now forest closures have started with a good majority of our norther National Forest lands closed or closing this week.
Posted Image
Posted Image

About halfway up I heard a noise looked over and initially thought hey why is the grass moving, then the ah ha moment kicked in realizing it was a porcupine
Posted Image
Buddy with an actual camera took this one of the porcupine once he climbed into a pine tree
Posted Image.
Original Forest service fire cabin built in 1912 and survivor of what is now probably 100's of fires on the mountain, built just below the summit by about 200 feet. in a little meadow. Now replaced by a traditional modern lookout tower on the summit.
Posted Image
Inside
Posted Image
Summit views
Posted Image
The low ridge off in the distance is the North Rim of the Grand Canyon
Posted Image
Humphreys center Agassiz Right two highest peaks in AZ Humphreys the highest at 12,630ish Planned to climb that twice in June but as of this Wednesday that part of the forest is closed under stage 3 fire restrictions so unless we get some significant rain in the coming weeks I might have to wait until after monsoon season.
Posted Image

@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

#156 One_Putt_Blunder

One_Putt_Blunder

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,139 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 11:48 AM

Part 2 the lava tubes about 3/4 of a mile long couple spots where it was the size of a subway tunnel and at times we had to crawl on hands and knees to get through. Really cool to go through this. Humphreys peak was a volcano at one point and this was the lava flow coming off the mountain.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Trying to figure out what to do for Memorial day weekend, With a overwhelming part of our northern forests closed going north is not a great idea, Might head south down to the Coronado Natl forest outside of Tucson climb Mt Wrightson and camp out for a night or two and break in my new camping gear. Wanted to do South Rim to South Rim of the Grand Canyon in a day after setting up a base camp at one of the campgrounds on the rim. As expected all campsites are reserved.

Edited by One_Putt_Blunder, Today, 12:38 PM.

@oneputtblunder
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors