Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf club dilemma for my 11 yr old daughter


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 marker10

marker10

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 450638
  • Joined: 01/04/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:41 PM

My daughter's clubs are getting a bit short now and I'm in the market for a new set of clubs, except for driver and putter.  She currently uses clubs from Flynn Golf and we're very happy with the clubs.  However, I'm now looking into getting a set of 'adult' clubs for her.

She plays US Kids events as well as other local events.  Her US Kids local event scores are typically between par to +2 for 9 holes.  When playing in tournaments from around 5000 yds, she'll typically shoot somewhere in the low to mid 80's.

So as far as the new clubs go, I'm thinking of getting clubs more on the 'players' iron side.  I'm not talking about blades or muscle back irons.  I'm thinking something like Callaway apex or maybe titleist ap2.  The reason is they have traditional lofts (ex. 7 iron at 34 deg).  Her current Flynn 7 iron has 36 deg of loft.  The game improvement irons nowadays have such strong lofts that I feel like she's going to have a tough time hitting the ball high.  Also, I don't want her getting used to hitting super game improvement irons since I'm not sure if this would limit her potential.  I would of course get the irons fitted with lighter shafts, etc.  

Any thoughts on whether getting a 'players' iron is a good or bad idea?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 701

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:45 PM

AP 1 or 2 all day. Cant think of better junior irons. 714s are all that and can be found everywhere.
I can Break Rocks
Krank F-5.. UST Tour and or the Cobra F7+ > no winner yet.
Adams Speedline 15* Wasabi stiff
XXIO 5 wood , proprietary shaft
Wilson 2 iron from the 1980s, teaspoon shaft unknown.
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW (48*), DG X100, may soon get recoils.
Mizuno MP R-12 at 54* and 60* DG spinners.
Bettinardi C-01
THE Kirkland Signature 4 piece urethane cover golf ball.

2

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

Go out and let her hit some clubs and then see what fits her.  I wouldn't lean away from Apex or AP2's for her.  You need to fit her for women or senior clubs.  Take a look at LPGA clubs and you will not find too many playing players clubs. Last thing you want to do is be loyal to a brand for her.

3

#4 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 792

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

She is 11 and it is hard to say because we know nothing of her swing speed or of her size and weight.  You say adult clubs and we don't know if you mean adult ladies or adult mens.  Without know anything about her size and swing speed (score doesn't matter), at 11 you may need to bite the bullet and purchase her a set of US Kids or Flynn clubs for a year.  Playing US Kids 9 hole tournaments at par to +2 really don't mean anything because their distances are too short for girl's.

I disagree with Baitkiller.  The last club I would put a girl in at that age would be a Titleist.  Titelist Ap's are much harder to get in the air than other irons from other brands.  If you are going to go into an Adult Head at that age I would go with Ping.  They have a lighter head in one of their sku's and can custom make a club for her that has a great swing weight.  Denny Sales (one of the top junior coaches in the country) posts on here sometimes and this is what he has recommended on countless occasions.

If she is 11 and stick with it you will end up buying 2 more club sets before she graduates from high school.  Best to get her fitted because what is best for player A isn't always the best for player B.  I always wanted my daughter to play Taylormade because of the AJGA discounts.  She didn't like the irons at all.  Swing the woods, but just did not like the irons.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 23 October 2017 - 09:44 AM.


4

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:38 AM

I would avoid US kids or flynn at this age if she is strong enough for adult clubs.  I think you there are lots of good choices with Ping G,  Callaway  XR and even something like Mizuno JPX Pro, or  even Srixon  out there if you willing to either buy used or pay more money.  

I would avoid the titliest irons especially the ap1's because they tend to not as consistent with yardage as some of the other clubs.

I think the key here is you need to know her swing speed and then fit the iron to club. I also wouldn't worry about lofts being too strong either if you buy the correct clubs they will be fine. You can alway add a wedge if you need it. I also wouldn't worry about a 4 club in the set your better off with a hybrid and 5 wood.  5-p is all you need and just add a couple of wedges with the correct shafts to their set.

Edited by tiger1873, 23 October 2017 - 09:39 AM.


5

#6 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Does anyone have any first hand experience with certain heads that come in lighter than say a traditional Apex, AP2, etc. Ping G always seemed heavy in the head to me, so wondering if anyone has found a good adult head that can work for juniors using lighter shafts.
Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 18* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

6

#7 Sean2

Sean2

    #TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 26,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 12888

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

I would be a bit hesitant with the adult clubs. If they are too heavy, it could mess up her swing.
Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º / 62º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

7

#8 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

Here is my suggestion and take it if you wish. Spend the money and get your daughter custom fit for clubs. The cost at the place near me is $125 and you come away with a sheet with all the specs. In my experience PING is the best for juniors. My daughter played with a girl today who is 11 and big for her age. She had custom fitted Ping clubs and killed them. The dad said she picked up close to 15 yards with each club because of them being adult heads and the lofts being lower. Find someone who is a professional club fitter with the launch monitors and the whole set up. Don’t go to some golf store and hit in a bay.

8

#9 darter79

darter79

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
  • Joined: 10/03/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 12 November 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with certain heads that come in lighter than say a traditional Apex, AP2, etc. Ping G always seemed heavy in the head to me, so wondering if anyone has found a good adult head that can work for juniors using lighter shafts.

One thing about ping is they have one of the best wrx departments out there. They can change the weights on the back to control overall weight ect.  You just have to call them and get fitted.

9

#10 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

View Postdarter79, on 12 November 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

View PostBelmont148, on 12 November 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Does anyone have any first hand experience with certain heads that come in lighter than say a traditional Apex, AP2, etc. Ping G always seemed heavy in the head to me, so wondering if anyone has found a good adult head that can work for juniors using lighter shafts.

One thing about ping is they have one of the best wrx departments out there. They can change the weights on the back to control overall weight ect.  You just have to call them and get fitted.

That’s a great point about the Ping. Between their CTP and light TFC 80 shafts I bet they could put together a great junior set. As I look at the tour series, they use the same head for the next 57”-64”. I would just rather go ahead and invest in a set now that I can extend as he grows knowing the Ping heads will hold up over 3 years instead of buying a new tour series iron set every year. The G and G400 were some of the easiest irons I ever hit, just not for me. I bet a junior would love the forgiveness and feel though.

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 18* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
  • Joined: 04/20/2017
  • Location:Gainesville, Ga
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:19 AM

One question I have is with the ping fitting process how do they compensate for a shorter Jr golfer. Do they have shorter Jr shafts. Thanks Shane

11

#12 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:50 AM

View PostTannerbug33, on 13 November 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

One question I have is with the ping fitting process how do they compensate for a shorter Jr golfer. Do they have shorter Jr shafts. Thanks Shane

My friend has a son who is 10 and is one of the top kids in his age group. He has had PING irons for a year now. He went to Sea Island and got fitted and that was what he ended up with. He has Titleist woods and hybrid. All of the clubs have graphite shafts and are cut down to fit him. This is why you need to go to a professional fitter where they put you on a monitor and you hit all kinds of clubs with different shafts.

12

#13 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:21 AM

Thanks for that tip. While I would love to go to Sea Island and take him for a fitting, that trip is a little rich for our budget. That place is awesome though. No doubt they could set you up. I’ll save that experience for a fitting for some players irons if/when he makes the high school team in 3 years. This is just about spending $900 on USK Tours over 3 years or getting quality heads and shafts that I can extend and adjust the swing weight myself for $800-$900.

I wonder if someone should start a sticky thread of places they have had a good experience with junior fittings. Since it is tough to find a location that handles shorter shafts, might be nice to se some locations that we all can keep in mind as we travel about.
Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 18* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

13

#14 jayce

jayce

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348817
  • Joined: 11/15/2014
  • Location:SC
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

View PostBelmont148, on 13 November 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

Thanks for that tip. While I would love to go to Sea Island and take him for a fitting, that trip is a little rich for our budget. That place is awesome though. No doubt they could set you up. I’ll save that experience for a fitting for some players irons if/when he makes the high school team in 3 years. This is just about spending $900 on USK Tours over 3 years or getting quality heads and shafts that I can extend and adjust the swing weight myself for $800-$900.

I wonder if someone should start a sticky thread of places they have had a good experience with junior fittings. Since it is tough to find a location that handles shorter shafts, might be nice to se some locations that we all can keep in mind as we travel about.

Belmont,  I've been asking around about fitters in this area. I was told to take my son to a gentleman near Charlotte. We haven't made that trip yet. I'd love to know if you find anywhere else nearby for junior fittings.

14

#15 Belmont148

Belmont148

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474430
  • Joined: 07/10/2017
  • Location:Carolinas
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

View Postjayce, on 13 November 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

View PostBelmont148, on 13 November 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

Thanks for that tip. While I would love to go to Sea Island and take him for a fitting, that trip is a little rich for our budget. That place is awesome though. No doubt they could set you up. I’ll save that experience for a fitting for some players irons if/when he makes the high school team in 3 years. This is just about spending $900 on USK Tours over 3 years or getting quality heads and shafts that I can extend and adjust the swing weight myself for $800-$900.

I wonder if someone should start a sticky thread of places they have had a good experience with junior fittings. Since it is tough to find a location that handles shorter shafts, might be nice to se some locations that we all can keep in mind as we travel about.

Belmont,  I've been asking around about fitters in this area. I was told to take my son to a gentleman near Charlotte. We haven't made that trip yet. I'd love to know if you find anywhere else nearby for junior fittings.

Most definitely. If I see/hear of anything I will let you know. Did you ever sign up for the US Kids Fall events? Any plans for spring/summer? We will probably do the US Kids spring, but Ashton will still be in the 10yo group. Then do Jr PGA in the summer with Chase/Tom as well as the SCJGA Hootie events. Hopefully we can get them together sometime. We are usually out at Mid Carolina a good bit.

Cobra F7+ Driver 10.5 Aldila Rogue 125 Silver TS 44.5"
Epic SZ 14.5 HZRDUS T800 65 stiff 42"
King Utility 18* CTL R flex
Cobra F6 3 hyb. 19* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra Fly Z 4 hyb. 22* Aldila Rogue 85H R flex
Cobra King Forged TEC 5-GW CTL R flex
MD2 Tour 54* and 58* CTL R flex
PM Grind MD3 64* black CTL R flex
Odyssey Versa V Line

15

#16 Golfingdawg19

Golfingdawg19

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354301
  • Joined: 12/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:04 PM

View Postjayce, on 13 November 2017 - 01:00 PM, said:

View PostBelmont148, on 13 November 2017 - 06:21 AM, said:

Thanks for that tip. While I would love to go to Sea Island and take him for a fitting, that trip is a little rich for our budget. That place is awesome though. No doubt they could set you up. I’ll save that experience for a fitting for some players irons if/when he makes the high school team in 3 years. This is just about spending $900 on USK Tours over 3 years or getting quality heads and shafts that I can extend and adjust the swing weight myself for $800-$900.

I wonder if someone should start a sticky thread of places they have had a good experience with junior fittings. Since it is tough to find a location that handles shorter shafts, might be nice to se some locations that we all can keep in mind as we travel about.

Belmont,  I've been asking around about fitters in this area. I was told to take my son to a gentleman near Charlotte. We haven't made that trip yet. I'd love to know if you find anywhere else nearby for junior fittings.

I pulled this off Golf Digest so hopefully it is up to date, but it’s a list of the top fitters by state. The other thing you can do is go to Ping’s website and search for a Ping fitter in your area.

https://www.golfdige...est-clubfitters

16



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors