Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Caddie problems


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Smarques33

Smarques33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

For those of you who have two younger kids playing in local US kids events how do you split up caddie duties? My 7 year old daughter starting playing this Fall and will only play if I caddie. My 9 year old son was all gung ho about Mom as his caddie until the season started and it's not going so well. I was enjoying the break from my son until last weekend, I caddie for him because sis had soccer, and he shot his personal best score. Next day Mom caddies and I watched because sis finished earlier than him. Mom was wound super tight which didn't help. I should have took over but wanted to watch from afar to see if could turn it around. He shot 10 shots worse. Mom is not a golfer so not blaming her at all. But she won't caddie for the 7 yr old. My son is not mentally/or emotionally capable yet of recovering from a bad hole on his own yet. Any suggestions?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Matt J

Matt J

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
  • Joined: 09/17/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 11030

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

Start building some boundaries and send them both out without a caddie?  At nine I'd think he can find his way around a golf course.  Have Mom caddie for your daughter and go play golf rather than play Super Dad.

2

#3 Smarques33

Smarques33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

Unfortunately, US kids requires them to have caddies at their age. Next summer my 9 yr old (10 next summer), will play in some events where caddies and spectators are not allowed. I think he will be fine.

3

#4 CTgolf

CTgolf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
  • Joined: 03/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM

View PostSmarques33, on 20 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Unfortunately, US kids requires them to have caddies at their age. Next summer my 9 yr old (10 next summer), will play in some events where caddies and spectators are not allowed. I think he will be fine.

http://www.uskidsgol...l/caddie-policy

'All players 8 years old and younger must be accompanied by someone 13 years old or older to serve as their caddie. All players are encouraged to have caddies.'

9yo should be ok - my son carried his own bag by himself when he was 9

Edited by CTgolf, 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM.


4

#5 Matt J

Matt J

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
  • Joined: 09/17/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 11030

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Find a 13 year old junior girl and pay her to caddie for your daughter?


5

#6 kekoa

kekoa

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,430 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Joined: 10/02/2008
  • Location:in the hole
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1332

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:13 AM

I urge my wife to caddy for my son just once. My son wont have it so I havent pressed the issue. Currious to see if mr son can shoot his normal under par round with mom in the bag.

6

#7 Smarques33

Smarques33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

View PostCTgolf, on 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 20 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Unfortunately, US kids requires them to have caddies at their age. Next summer my 9 yr old (10 next summer), will play in some events where caddies and spectators are not allowed. I think he will be fine.

http://www.uskidsgol...l/caddie-policy

'All players 8 years old and younger must be accompanied by someone 13 years old or older to serve as their caddie. All players are encouraged to have caddies.'

9yo should be ok - my son carried his own bag by himself when he was 9

In a US kids tournament?

7

#8 Smarques33

Smarques33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

View Postkekoa, on 21 October 2017 - 01:13 AM, said:

I urge my wife to caddy for my son just once. My son wont have it so I havent pressed the issue. Currious to see if mr son can shoot his normal under par round with mom in the bag.


8

#9 Smarques33

Smarques33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

I am forced too. He doesn't play as well with my wife caddying. But starting to view as not a bad thing for long run. I feel like I was just
Learning how to stay out the way but also be able to enjoy being with my son while he played in a tournament. Guess having two kids who enjoy playing tournament golf is a good problem!

9

#10 CTgolf

CTgolf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
  • Joined: 03/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:41 AM

View PostSmarques33, on 23 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 20 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Unfortunately, US kids requires them to have caddies at their age. Next summer my 9 yr old (10 next summer), will play in some events where caddies and spectators are not allowed. I think he will be fine.

http://www.uskidsgol...l/caddie-policy

'All players 8 years old and younger must be accompanied by someone 13 years old or older to serve as their caddie. All players are encouraged to have caddies.'

9yo should be ok - my son carried his own bag by himself when he was 9

In a US kids tournament?

Yes

The link takes you to the rule allowing anyone 9 or older to be unchaperoned

My son did it and I have seen other kids carry or use a push cart themselves as well


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 tiger1873

tiger1873

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
  • Joined: 09/20/2014
  • Location:United States
GolfWRX Likes : 87

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostCTgolf, on 24 October 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 23 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 20 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Unfortunately, US kids requires them to have caddies at their age. Next summer my 9 yr old (10 next summer), will play in some events where caddies and spectators are not allowed. I think he will be fine.

http://www.uskidsgol...l/caddie-policy

'All players 8 years old and younger must be accompanied by someone 13 years old or older to serve as their caddie. All players are encouraged to have caddies.'

9yo should be ok - my son carried his own bag by himself when he was 9

In a US kids tournament?

Yes

The link takes you to the rule allowing anyone 9 or older to be unchaperoned

My son did it and I have seen other kids carry or use a push cart themselves as well

I think unless you know the other parents or have caddied with them before you are asking for trouble. How many parents want the responsibilty of looking after your kid.   I personally would not let a 9 year old be out there by themselves when the other kids have parents with them.  It just not  good policy.

Generally speaking you should be able to get your wife to caddy or just schedule tournaments on different days.  At that age it is okay to skip tournaments.

11

#12 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
  • Joined: 03/16/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 803

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:54 AM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 October 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 24 October 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 23 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 20 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Unfortunately, US kids requires them to have caddies at their age. Next summer my 9 yr old (10 next summer), will play in some events where caddies and spectators are not allowed. I think he will be fine.

http://www.uskidsgol...l/caddie-policy

'All players 8 years old and younger must be accompanied by someone 13 years old or older to serve as their caddie. All players are encouraged to have caddies.'

9yo should be ok - my son carried his own bag by himself when he was 9

In a US kids tournament?

Yes

The link takes you to the rule allowing anyone 9 or older to be unchaperoned

My son did it and I have seen other kids carry or use a push cart themselves as well

I think unless you know the other parents or have caddied with them before you are asking for trouble. How many parents want the responsibilty of looking after your kid.   I personally would not let a 9 year old be out there by themselves when the other kids have parents with them.  It just not  good policy.

Generally speaking you should be able to get your wife to caddy or just schedule tournaments on different days.  At that age it is okay to skip tournaments.

You walk the sidelines.  I did it all the time with mine in our local Foundation.  They allowed caddies.  I, however, put in my ear buds and walked the sidelines just observing while enjoying the day along with golf.  It starts preparing the kids down for life without caddies.  Only reason I caddied for my kid in the firs place was to push the cart for him.

How you should observe your kid in a golf match.
1.  Walk ahead.  Don't stand over them and watch them hit golf shots.  Walk the cart path or rough ahead and be in the area where they will drive the ball.  You can also be a spotter for mishit balls which is more worthwhile than standing over your kid breathing down their neck every shot.   If you want to watch them carry binoculars or get something like this https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B004IHJAHU.
2.  Keep stats.  Take a scorecard and write everything down.
3.  Watch and have fun.  We all want our kids to do well.  We tell them not to show emotions.  A Parent can't show emotions either because they will see it.  No shaking your head after a bad shot.  Make sure you have good body language.  The kids will pay attention and they are trying to please us.  
4.  Don't walk on greens.  Stay far enough away just so you can see the cup.

12

#13 CTgolf

CTgolf

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
  • Joined: 03/14/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 24 October 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 24 October 2017 - 05:41 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 23 October 2017 - 04:04 PM, said:

View PostCTgolf, on 20 October 2017 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostSmarques33, on 20 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Unfortunately, US kids requires them to have caddies at their age. Next summer my 9 yr old (10 next summer), will play in some events where caddies and spectators are not allowed. I think he will be fine.

http://www.uskidsgol...l/caddie-policy

'All players 8 years old and younger must be accompanied by someone 13 years old or older to serve as their caddie. All players are encouraged to have caddies.'

9yo should be ok - my son carried his own bag by himself when he was 9

In a US kids tournament?

Yes

The link takes you to the rule allowing anyone 9 or older to be unchaperoned

My son did it and I have seen other kids carry or use a push cart themselves as well

I think unless you know the other parents or have caddied with them before you are asking for trouble. How many parents want the responsibilty of looking after your kid.   I personally would not let a 9 year old be out there by themselves when the other kids have parents with them.  It just not  good policy.

Generally speaking you should be able to get your wife to caddy or just schedule tournaments on different days.  At that age it is okay to skip tournaments.

Our PGA section has a 7-11yo age division where parents are not allowed and the boys (and girls) carry their own bag for 9 holes.  There is one adult chaperone (cannot be a parent of a child in the group) in case of emergency or question about rules/regulations.

The tees are the forward (ladies') tees as well, which are significantly longer than US Kids distances.

So I disagree that kids that age cannot take care of themselves and handle the situation without a parent's help.

13

#14 propredicr

propredicr

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15190
  • Joined: 06/01/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

My boy plays three, 7-10 yo leagues, where parents are not allowed on the course, except the scorekeeper.  The kids generally push their own carts and the youngest I have scored for was around 7 yo, which is too young in my opinion.   The younger/smaller ones may do better with something like US Kids-9 holes.   Most are 9-10 yo and even the little ones learn to keep up.  18 holes, ranging from 4500-5300.  After they understand the basics, let them go out and gain experience, on their own.   Caddies slow the pace of play with analysis-paralysis.

I like HH's #1-4, How to observe your child golfer...I need to remember #3 SMH.😝

Edited by propredicr, 24 October 2017 - 03:38 PM.


14

#15 Smarques33

Smarques33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the responses on this post. This problem I posed has been a huge stress on me the past two weeks. Most of which is/ was totally out of my control. But your responses (both types) have helped.

I agree with Leezer, I wouldn't put him out there by himself when everyone else has a caddie, least not yet.

We also have a junior PGA section that offers tournaments without caddies or spectators. He will play in a few next summer as a 10 yr old.

I like the spectator tips and will use them! Thanks Heavy.

We have 1 event left for the season, when he asked if I registered him yet. I asked him why? - he responded "I like playing golf." - so I plan to let him enjoy it, the good shots and bad. He has to finish in top 3 and shoot 42 to "have status" (it's what he tells his 7 yr old sister, whom has already had two qualifying scores in her first season and was oblivious both times.)  If he doesn't finish in top 3 or shoot a qualifying score I realize now, his world won't end, he won't quit.

Thanks again, for those who responded!!


15

#16 Smarques33

Smarques33

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Update to this thread: My  son shot his lowest round ever in a tournament today. Lost in a 4 hole sudden death playoff, horseshoed a 2 footer for par to lose. However, he got his “status” - top five award. I enjoyed all of this in a cart with my youngest because my son wanted his Mom to caddie today.

16

#17 hangontight

hangontight

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostSmarques33, on 29 October 2017 - 09:35 PM, said:

Update to this thread: My  son shot his lowest round ever in a tournament today. Lost in a 4 hole sudden death playoff, horseshoed a 2 footer for par to lose. However, he got his “status” - top five award. I enjoyed all of this in a cart with my youngest because my son wanted his Mom to caddie today.


17

#18 hangontight

hangontight

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
  • Joined: 08/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 30 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

Congrats on the Tmnt and Status, the first time fees like a million bucks for the kids!  Love the story- good reminder how they can thrive withOUT us hanging on their side every second!

18



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors