Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Garmin Watch Durability?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 howellhandmade

howellhandmade

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 240097
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:01 AM

I'm intrigued by the features of the S60, assuming I'm able to read it without glasses. But I haven't had great experience with their cycling products. To their credit, Garmin has been good with warranty service, but the hassle and possibility of being out of warranty on an expensive piece of gear has made me look closer at the competition. Has anyone worn a Garmin watch long-term enough to comment on the reliability and durability of Garmin golf watches?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,742 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3592

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:13 AM

I have had an X40 golf watch since a few months after it first came to market. I don't always use it anymore but I wore it everyday for several months, including a couple dozen rounds of golf. Then I gave it to my wife who used it while swimming every morning (long story) for quite a while. Since then I've used it for another handful of rounds of golf in September and October.

No problems at all with it. Battery seems to last as long as ever, screen is unscratched, still waterproof, still downloads fine.
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

#3 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.4

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

I've used Garmin products for running, swimming and golf and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I had an original Forerunner for marathon training that lasted me...almost 7 years. It got to the point where it wouldn't hold any charge at all anymore but I just replaced it with a refurbd Forerunner model. The thing was an absolute tank though. My S1 was basically the same thing, lasted almost 4 seasons, ran perfectly until the battery wouldn't charge anymore - settled on an S6 bargain in the BST to replace it.

I used to go back and forth about using screen protectors on them but I don't anymore, especially with the touch screen models, I just resign myself to the fact that they will scratch eventually.

Honestly its one of the few brands that I know going in its going to be more expensive than several other options but its worth it - to me. Just my opinion, as always, your mileage may vary.
Epic SZ 10.5* - Rogue Silver 70x
M2 3W - Tour Blue 75s
Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
Cobra F7 Single Lengths 5-PW
Cleveland RTX3 tour raw blade - 56* / 60*
Putter / TM TP5x

#4 Smashdcrab

Smashdcrab

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482642
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

I have been using an S6 for around 8 months and played alot of golf with it. I estimate it would have been charged well over 100 times so far. I have had no problems with it , it just does what you want of it. When its battery dies I am thinking of getting one of the cheaper models without the colour screen , I rarely use it and find the screen too small to move the flag position reliably. Front, back and middle of the green distances are all I need.
The only issue I have had is my PC not recognising the USB device, but I found a workaround for that to force it to recognise, I have had this issue with other brand USB devices too so it may not even be a Garmin issue so much as a windows one.
I think they are good quality and after watching my friend muck around with his cheapie the other day, I would say the menu system on the Garmin is alot easier to negotiate.

#5 sheldonjhacker

sheldonjhacker

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87167
GolfWRX Likes : 972

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Very durable...It will outlast your interest until you upgrade to the newest model. :derisive:

#6 halliedog

halliedog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

I've had an S20 for about as long as they've been out, and mine is still fine.  The silicon band has broken in several places and I've just patched it together with some electrical tape.  Now just last night, it broke at the clasp so will finally have to try and source a new band.  Keep in mind I wear this thing 24/7, work, golf, in the shower, etc., so can't expect it to last forever.
WITB:
TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5"  
Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
Callaway 13.5* Pro Deep w/ Project X V6.0
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM RSi-TP 4-9 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM Rac PW - 48* w/ KBS C-Taper X
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM Spider Blade 32 - 35"

#7 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,811 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 3841

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:31 AM

I’ve had a G6 since they came out. Durability is fine, but the picture of the hole layout stopped working and I never could get Garmin to help. The other features still worked fine. I’ve since upgraded to the 60 (I really like being able to see the hole layout, although the detail is lacking and it is difficult to locate the cursor exactly where you want it).

I have two Garmins for running, one which will track indoor treadmill, and the other for outside. Both have held up well. Although now the Garmin consistently registers about a tenth mile less than the run keeper ap on my phone.
Titleist 910 8.5
Titleist 910 15*
Titleist 910H 17*
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
SC GoLo
Vokey SM5 52,58,62

#8 Rickochet

Rickochet

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19313
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Two of my buds have been using the S1 for 4 or 5 years with no issues.  Still on original battery also.  My only issue with the S1 is that you only get about 33 holes on a charge.  If you forget to charge it after each round you won't get a full second round in.  We usually play a 4 hr. round.

Edited by Rickochet, 31 October 2017 - 07:48 AM.

#9 jimmybcool

jimmybcool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 485262
  • Handicap:4-7
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

I have the S2 Approach.  I bought it when they were first released.  Since then I've used it about 100 rounds of golf a year.  I guess that is about 4 years?  It is giving me trouble now.  Sometimes it doesn't charge when I plug it in.  And it doesn't hold enough charge for more than one round in a day.  And that assumes it got a full charge.  Seems like the charger unit doesn't firmly connect to the watches charger points.  

Other than that it is solid.  I am looking at the S60 now.  Can't decide as I use the GPS as backup to a laser.  If a phone app works I might forego a GPS watch in future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors