Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

$ Taper who has hit it? What does it compare to? Thank you


45 replies to this topic

#1 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

as always...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 kaaayelll

kaaayelll

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207201
  • Joined: 10/15/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:58 PM

I'd love to hear as well.  It just doesn't seem many have played these - likely the price.

2

#3 jefferneher

jefferneher

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91163
  • Joined: 08/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

I went through two fittings for irons one at a local golf store and one with PXG. Local golf store didn't have $ taper. Was so impressed ended up getting PXG 0311 with the $ taper They feel really great. I hit a cut and am a high spinning iron player. I'm still getting use to the new clubs but I'm finding my "good" shots cut less, almost 1/2 what they use to with my prior set which was C tapers. I've had the guys I play with normally comment on this as well. As any club my bad swings are still not good but I do feel they are a Little better due to the shaft. Hope this helps.

Jeff

3

#4 jefferneher

jefferneher

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91163
  • Joined: 08/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

View Postjefferneher, on 18 October 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

I went through two fittings for irons one at a local golf store and one with PXG. Local golf store didn't have $ taper. Was so impressed ended up getting PXG 0311 with the $ taper They feel really great. I hit a cut and am a high spinning iron player. I'm still getting use to the new clubs but I'm finding my "good" shots cut less, almost 1/2 what they use to with my prior set which was C tapers. I've had the guys I play with normally comment on this as well. As any club my bad swings are still not good but I do feel they are a Little better due to the shaft. Hope this helps.

Jeff

To answer what it compares to I don't know that there is a shaft on the market like it. It's my understanding it's for high ball hitters that spin the ball a lot.

4

#5 Waterboy

Waterboy

    #TheWRX

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20281
  • Joined: 10/05/2006
  • Location:Chicagoland
GolfWRX Likes : 524

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

I have them in a set of Apex Pro. I bought them when they were first released just to see how they felt and if they were going to be something worth exploring.  Ended up being the shaft I stuck with.

I like them a lot. I don't know what to compare them too since I don't really get around much with iron shafts.

The ball launches high for me and it doesn't go left, which is what I was looking for in a shaft.  I was only on a trackman once with them, but the spin numbers I was getting were much higher then I was anticipating. Not in a bad way. I was spinning a 9 iron around 8k, I was expecting much lower numbers.

Results may vary but I don't struggle holding greens and have never been a high spin player.

I don't find them harsh either. I had some crazy elbow pains with my modus in the past but have made plenty changes to my swing since then and had one small elbow issue, but it was more from the extended layoff I had taken and going right back into hitting 100 balls.

At a couple points in the season I thought of going back to a set of Modus 120s but I shafted up a 6 and a 9 and could never really get comfortable with them. The feel is a little different.

Its the junkie in me but I ended up ordering another set to put in some different heads I have laying around.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

5

#6 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

    Leather for Life!!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
  • Joined: 06/15/2007
  • Location:New England
GolfWRX Likes : 1113

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:26 AM

They definitely got the name right!

BT
DR #1. RED Amp Cell Pro w/ ATX Red 65 TX 44.5",
DR #2. BLUE Bio Cell Pro w/ ATX Blue 75 X 44.5"
DR #3. WHITE Fly-Z+ w/ Kiyoshi White 75 S 44.5"
DR #4. King LTD Black w/ SpeedrulZ Type A 70 S 44.5"
DR #5. Matte Black Fly-Z + w/ Aldila Rip Beta 70 X 44.5"
RED Bio Cell 3-4 W/ 7Q3 S, BLUE King F6 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 BO Ltd., WHITE Fly-Z 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 US Open Ltd
RED AC 3-4 w/ 7Q3 S, LTD Black 3-4 w/ Rip Beta 80 S - All at 43"
BLUE Bio Cell 5-7 w/ Speeder 757 S British Open LTD, RED Amp Cell 5-7 w/ 8Q3 S, WHITE Fly-Z 5-7 Fubuki Alpha 80 X, LTD Black 4-5 w/ Rip beta 80 S - All at 42"
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 4-pw Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP4 4-pw Matrix Program 130 S
Mizuno MP15 4-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52-8, 56-12 & 60-8 satin & black
PT#1 Natural Touch Macassar Ebony (rotate)
PT#2 Natural Touch Afzelia Burl (rotate)
PT#3 Natural Touch Bolivian Rosewood (rotate)

6

#7 FirePro

FirePro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286817
  • Joined: 12/05/2013
  • Location:Brampton
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

Having Played KBS Tour X, KBS C-Taper S+ and now $-Taper X I can give a little insight on these shafts.  For me they are a great fit, I have a steep AoA with a mid to quick transition.  The $-Tapers keep up with both stock shots and shots that I put a little more into.  I used to play the Tours in X and loved the feel but they ballooned on me hence why I went with the C-Tapers in S+.  The C-Tapers where great and I played well with them but they were a little harsher than the Tours, my ball flight was lower and so were my spin numbers.  I could have kept the C-Tapers in play but after seeing the $-Tapers come out and my need to tinker I had to try them.  The $-Tapers X launch slightly higher than my previous C-Taper S+ and spin slightly higher as well, I assume the difference would have been greater if I was comparing X to X.  What I like about the $-Taper is the feel, its not as boardy and I can feel a slight kick at impact which is growing on me as I continue to play them, its not as soft feeling as the Tours as some have mentioned in previous threads but softer then the C-Taper for sure.  I don't feel I need to swing as hard with the $-Tapers as I did the C-Tapers and feel my game has improved due to this.

And I believe new versions of the $-Tapers do not have the 360 Label that mind have

IMG_0309.JPG
Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X @ 42.5"
Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
Callaway MD3 Black 51/11 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway MD3 Black 56/10 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Black 64/10 w/ TT DG S400 Onyx
Putter: Odyssey Havok
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow

7

#8 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

View PostWaterboy, on 19 October 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

I have them in a set of Apex Pro. I bought them when they were first released just to see how they felt and if they were going to be something worth exploring.  Ended up being the shaft I stuck with.

I like them a lot. I don't know what to compare them too since I don't really get around much with iron shafts.

The ball launches high for me and it doesn't go left, which is what I was looking for in a shaft.  I was only on a trackman once with them, but the spin numbers I was getting were much higher then I was anticipating. Not in a bad way. I was spinning a 9 iron around 8k, I was expecting much lower numbers.

Results may vary but I don't struggle holding greens and have never been a high spin player.

I don't find them harsh either. I had some crazy elbow pains with my modus in the past but have made plenty changes to my swing since then and had one small elbow issue, but it was more from the extended layoff I had taken and going right back into hitting 100 balls.

At a couple points in the season I thought of going back to a set of Modus 120s but I shafted up a 6 and a 9 and could never really get comfortable with them. The feel is a little different.

Its the junkie in me but I ended up ordering another set to put in some different heads I have laying around.
what flex did you go with? If it can help taking the left away and spin a toouch more than my 120X I am all in

8

#9 Waterboy

Waterboy

    #TheWRX

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20281
  • Joined: 10/05/2006
  • Location:Chicagoland
GolfWRX Likes : 524

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

View PostWardonation, on 19 October 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

View PostWaterboy, on 19 October 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

I have them in a set of Apex Pro. I bought them when they were first released just to see how they felt and if they were going to be something worth exploring.  Ended up being the shaft I stuck with.

I like them a lot. I don't know what to compare them too since I don't really get around much with iron shafts.

The ball launches high for me and it doesn't go left, which is what I was looking for in a shaft.  I was only on a trackman once with them, but the spin numbers I was getting were much higher then I was anticipating. Not in a bad way. I was spinning a 9 iron around 8k, I was expecting much lower numbers.

Results may vary but I don't struggle holding greens and have never been a high spin player.

I don't find them harsh either. I had some crazy elbow pains with my modus in the past but have made plenty changes to my swing since then and had one small elbow issue, but it was more from the extended layoff I had taken and going right back into hitting 100 balls.

At a couple points in the season I thought of going back to a set of Modus 120s but I shafted up a 6 and a 9 and could never really get comfortable with them. The feel is a little different.

Its the junkie in me but I ended up ordering another set to put in some different heads I have laying around.
what flex did you go with? If it can help taking the left away and spin a toouch more than my 120X I am all in

120 weight - s flex straight in.
Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: www.thebottomgroove.com

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

9

#10 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Any more insight on these in terms of feel?  Launch and spin I don't care about so much as I am weird in the sense that I hit every shaft almost identically, unless it gets too heavy/light.  I'm intrigued by the P790s and see you can get these shafts for free in them.  All things I've read seem to be they have the smoothness of the Tours but the stiffness and spin of the Tour-V if that makes sense.  Am I right on that?  I seem to get along really well with shafts that are in that 105-115 range and these make the cut.  I'm hoping to avoid the harshness of C-Taper/C-Taper Lite/Project X and more of a Modus or Dynamic Gold feel.

I'm just curious because this is the new kid on the block.  I can very easily go Modus 105 or Dynamic Gold 105 and be happy, just wanted to see how these compare in terms of feel.

G30 LS Tec - Ping Tour S
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - KK Silver DC 70X
Taylormade R15 TP 17* - Graphite Design MJ 6X
Irons TBD
Miura 50* - Aldila RIP 115
Nike Engage 55* Toe Sweep and 59* Square Sole - DG s300
Bettinardi Inovai

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 ObieTrice5

ObieTrice5

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1255
  • Joined: 05/31/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

View Postphatchrisrules, on 29 October 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Any more insight on these in terms of feel?  Launch and spin I don't care about so much as I am weird in the sense that I hit every shaft almost identically, unless it gets too heavy/light.  I'm intrigued by the P790s and see you can get these shafts for free in them.  All things I've read seem to be they have the smoothness of the Tours but the stiffness and spin of the Tour-V if that makes sense.  Am I right on that?  I seem to get along really well with shafts that are in that 105-115 range and these make the cut.  I'm hoping to avoid the harshness of C-Taper/C-Taper Lite/Project X and more of a Modus or Dynamic Gold feel.

I'm just curious because this is the new kid on the block.  I can very easily go Modus 105 or Dynamic Gold 105 and be happy, just wanted to see how these compare in terms of feel.

I have them in my combo set. I'm coming of C Taper Lites and I'm a big fan of the $ Tapers. They feel very smooth but don't launch or spin as much as the CTL. I was a bit worried about the lack of spin in my scoring irons, but they still spin plenty. I've hit x100, Modus 3, CTL and I prefer the $ Tapers to everyone of them. Plus they look SICK!
2016 M2 9.5 Tour Issue - GD AD DI 6x Black
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 14* Matrix Ozik White 70X4
Cally Epic Heavenwood 19* Rogue Max 85x
Srixon U65 4 Iron Miyazaki Stiff
TaylorMade P790 5 & 6 iron - KBS $ 130 X
TaylorMade P750 7 - PW - KBS $ 130 X
Cleveland RTX-3 Raw 50* - 54* - 60*
34" Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40
Ball - TM TP5x

11

#12 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostObieTrice5, on 29 October 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

View Postphatchrisrules, on 29 October 2017 - 05:03 PM, said:

Any more insight on these in terms of feel?  Launch and spin I don't care about so much as I am weird in the sense that I hit every shaft almost identically, unless it gets too heavy/light.  I'm intrigued by the P790s and see you can get these shafts for free in them.  All things I've read seem to be they have the smoothness of the Tours but the stiffness and spin of the Tour-V if that makes sense.  Am I right on that?  I seem to get along really well with shafts that are in that 105-115 range and these make the cut.  I'm hoping to avoid the harshness of C-Taper/C-Taper Lite/Project X and more of a Modus or Dynamic Gold feel.

I'm just curious because this is the new kid on the block.  I can very easily go Modus 105 or Dynamic Gold 105 and be happy, just wanted to see how these compare in terms of feel.

I have them in my combo set. I'm coming of C Taper Lites and I'm a big fan of the $ Tapers. They feel very smooth but don't launch or spin as much as the CTL. I was a bit worried about the lack of spin in my scoring irons, but they still spin plenty. I've hit x100, Modus 3, CTL and I prefer the $ Tapers to everyone of them. Plus they look SICK!

Thanks for the answer. In terms of feel, would you say they are close to a KBS Tour? Or do you have a shaft that you would say feels similar to it, like Nippon Modus 120, KBS Tour, Dynamic Gold, etc?

Thank you
G30 LS Tec - Ping Tour S
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - KK Silver DC 70X
Taylormade R15 TP 17* - Graphite Design MJ 6X
Irons TBD
Miura 50* - Aldila RIP 115
Nike Engage 55* Toe Sweep and 59* Square Sole - DG s300
Bettinardi Inovai

12

#13 FirePro

FirePro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286817
  • Joined: 12/05/2013
  • Location:Brampton
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

what flex are you looking for? unless you are looking for reg or reg + they will not be within your weight range

R-110g
R+-115g
S-120g
S+-125g
X-130g
Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X @ 42.5"
Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
Callaway MD3 Black 51/11 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway MD3 Black 56/10 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Black 64/10 w/ TT DG S400 Onyx
Putter: Odyssey Havok
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow

13

#14 tripleH

tripleH

    McGregor

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34655
  • Joined: 07/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

The KBS S Taper have a firm kick to them that’s pronounced and let you if it is flushed. X100AMT in the long irons spin to much, X100 are firm with moderate kick and they are heavy, PX6.5 and more firm and the kick is less pronounced. PXI 7.0 SS are similar to PX 6.5 but launch to high and too light, PXI 6.5 ballon to much and are too light, KBS C Taper X are harsh / heavy and knock downs go right if not hit perfect-plus the tips bend. KBS Tour X SS launch high and spin to much a little more pronounced kick than the KBS S Taper. KBS S Taper S+ that are tipped 1/2” are what the label indicates nothing but pure money!  Best shaft out there for performance and feel. I wouldn’t be surprised if they become the shaft everyone raves about in ‘18! Not much information out there because of the price and the skeptics!

14

#15 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PosttripleH, on 30 October 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

The KBS S Taper have a firm kick to them that’s pronounced and let you if it is flushed. X100AMT in the long irons spin to much, X100 are firm with moderate kick and they are heavy, PX6.5 and more firm and the kick is less pronounced. PXI 7.0 SS are similar to PX 6.5 but launch to high and too light, PXI 6.5 ballon to much and are too light, KBS C Taper X are harsh / heavy and knock downs go right if not hit perfect-plus the tips bend. KBS Tour X SS launch high and spin to much a little more pronounced kick than the KBS S Taper. KBS S Taper S+ that are tipped 1/2” are what the label indicates nothing but pure money!  Best shaft out there for performance and feel. I wouldn’t be surprised if they become the shaft everyone raves about in ‘18! Not much information out there because of the price and the skeptics!
So, I will coming from 120 ssx1 in an X flex. I am looking at weight and it looks like the $ in a stiff will match weight wise 120G. I just am not sure if I should hard step or ss or straight in? I am concerned about your "tipping" comment? Do you think Cally or Mizzy will do the tipping? Thank you...


15

#16 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PosttripleH, on 30 October 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

The KBS S Taper have a firm kick to them that’s pronounced and let you if it is flushed. X100AMT in the long irons spin to much, X100 are firm with moderate kick and they are heavy, PX6.5 and more firm and the kick is less pronounced. PXI 7.0 SS are similar to PX 6.5 but launch to high and too light, PXI 6.5 ballon to much and are too light, KBS C Taper X are harsh / heavy and knock downs go right if not hit perfect-plus the tips bend. KBS Tour X SS launch high and spin to much a little more pronounced kick than the KBS S Taper. KBS S Taper S+ that are tipped 1/2” are what the label indicates nothing but pure money!  Best shaft out there for performance and feel. I wouldn’t be surprised if they become the shaft everyone raves about in ‘18! Not much information out there because of the price and the skeptics!
I have a 89 mph with 6 iron but like a stiffer shaft for dispersion? Really love the feel of the 120's but they can get "loose" at times and would like a touch more spin. The KBS TOURS would balloon on me especially into the Bandon wind

16

#17 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostFirePro, on 19 October 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Having Played KBS Tour X, KBS C-Taper S+ and now $-Taper X I can give a little insight on these shafts.  For me they are a great fit, I have a steep AoA with a mid to quick transition.  The $-Tapers keep up with both stock shots and shots that I put a little more into.  I used to play the Tours in X and loved the feel but they ballooned on me hence why I went with the C-Tapers in S+.  The C-Tapers where great and I played well with them but they were a little harsher than the Tours, my ball flight was lower and so were my spin numbers.  I could have kept the C-Tapers in play but after seeing the $-Tapers come out and my need to tinker I had to try them.  The $-Tapers X launch slightly higher than my previous C-Taper S+ and spin slightly higher as well, I assume the difference would have been greater if I was comparing X to X.  What I like about the $-Taper is the feel, its not as boardy and I can feel a slight kick at impact which is growing on me as I continue to play them, its not as soft feeling as the Tours as some have mentioned in previous threads but softer then the C-Taper for sure.  I don't feel I need to swing as hard with the $-Tapers as I did the C-Tapers and feel my game has improved due to this.

And I believe new versions of the $-Tapers do not have the 360 Label that mind have

Attachment IMG_0309.JPG
are you going to stick with the S+'s or go to an X? IF you stick with S+'s then I will go S straight in looking at the flex shafts you play for sure....

17

#18 jasonp87

jasonp87

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400570
  • Joined: 10/23/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

Following this closely as im intrigued by these. I enjoy kbs tours but the dispersion can suffer on me at times. Wonder if these would tighten it up some.
Driver-----Callaway Epic SZ (9.0*) Fujikura Pro 62 S 45.25"
3W---------Cobra King F6 3/4W (14.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 75 S 42.65"
5W---------Cobra King F6 Baffler 4/5W (17.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
3H---------Cobra King F6 3/4H (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.5"
Irons-------Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW C Taper S
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) C Taper S/KBS 610 Wedge S
Putter------Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" SS Midslim 2.0
Golf Ball--Pro V1, ProV1x, Z Star, B300RX
Clubs TLT'D @ Dans Custom Golf

18

#19 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:43 PM

View PostFirePro, on 30 October 2017 - 11:39 AM, said:

what flex are you looking for? unless you are looking for reg or reg + they will not be within your weight range

R-110g
R+-115g
S-120g
S+-125g
X-130g

The stiff would be ~115 when cut.  That's about my max weight that I do well with.  Well let me rephrase that, I do well with a dynamic gold as well, but they tire me out by the end of the round.  

View PosttripleH, on 30 October 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

The KBS S Taper have a firm kick to them that’s pronounced and let you if it is flushed. X100AMT in the long irons spin to much, X100 are firm with moderate kick and they are heavy, PX6.5 and more firm and the kick is less pronounced. PXI 7.0 SS are similar to PX 6.5 but launch to high and too light, PXI 6.5 ballon to much and are too light, KBS C Taper X are harsh / heavy and knock downs go right if not hit perfect-plus the tips bend. KBS Tour X SS launch high and spin to much a little more pronounced kick than the KBS S Taper. KBS S Taper S+ that are tipped 1/2” are what the label indicates nothing but pure money!  Best shaft out there for performance and feel. I wouldn’t be surprised if they become the shaft everyone raves about in ‘18! Not much information out there because of the price and the skeptics!

So if I'm reading this correctly, they feel similar to a dynamic gold and KBS Tour (with the Tour being a bit more kick)??  If so, that sounds like it could be the ticket.  Especially if they don't spin quite as much as the standard Tour.  It sounds as if they merged the Tour and Tour-V together.  Weight profile and smoothness of Tour-V, but kept the stiffness profile and spin-killing of Tour-V.
G30 LS Tec - Ping Tour S
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - KK Silver DC 70X
Taylormade R15 TP 17* - Graphite Design MJ 6X
Irons TBD
Miura 50* - Aldila RIP 115
Nike Engage 55* Toe Sweep and 59* Square Sole - DG s300
Bettinardi Inovai

19

#20 tripleH

tripleH

    McGregor

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34655
  • Joined: 07/15/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

I would not soft step or hard step these shafts. Only tipped them 1/2” because I play them 1/2” over and I wanted S+ weight. Spin with 6iron is 5800-6100 rpm and the trajectory is mid flight. Driver swing speed 113-115. Iron tempo is smooth +. Was afraid of not being able to control knock downs with x flex. Man I am happy I didn’t go X. I think Pat Perez plays these shafts.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 DNice26

DNice26

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
  • Joined: 08/20/2009
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 771

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

Wondering how these truly compare to the Ctapers (been playing these forever) and the Tour V.
Ping G 10.5 w/Aldila Black 7X
TaylorMade 3HL M2 Tour (2017) w/stock KK X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW, KBS C-Taper S+
TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
Scotty Kombi "S" 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/

21

#22 Volgolfer

Volgolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10249
  • Joined: 01/21/2006
  • Location:Charlotte
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

There is a member comparison going on in the MGS forum....

22

#23 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

 Volgolfer, on 31 October 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

There is a member comparison going on in the MGS forum....
What category is it under MGS? I cannot find it? Thanks for the heads up...

23

#24 Wardonation

Wardonation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107035
  • Joined: 04/28/2010
  • Handicap:+2.8
GolfWRX Likes : 110

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:37 PM

Found it thank you so much

24

#25 jasonp87

jasonp87

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400570
  • Joined: 10/23/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:44 PM

Had a chance to hit this in a stiff. Absolutely lovely shaft.

Its as advertised. Feels identical to the Tour but more stable. My dispersion was way tighter and spin dropped 300 to 400rpm. Launch about same. Maybe .5* lower.

Its definetly closer to the Tour then the C taper. Its better then the Tour V. The tour V feels a bit dead.

Driver-----Callaway Epic SZ (9.0*) Fujikura Pro 62 S 45.25"
3W---------Cobra King F6 3/4W (14.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 75 S 42.65"
5W---------Cobra King F6 Baffler 4/5W (17.5*) Aldila Tour Blue 85 S 41.75"
3H---------Cobra King F6 3/4H (20.5) Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 TS S 39.5"
Irons-------Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW C Taper S
Wedges---Cleveland RTX 3 (52/MG 58/LG) C Taper S/KBS 610 Wedge S
Putter------Taylormade Spider Tour Black 34" SS Midslim 2.0
Golf Ball--Pro V1, ProV1x, Z Star, B300RX
Clubs TLT'D @ Dans Custom Golf

25

#26 FirePro

FirePro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286817
  • Joined: 12/05/2013
  • Location:Brampton
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:27 PM

 Wardonation, on 30 October 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

 FirePro, on 19 October 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

Having Played KBS Tour X, KBS C-Taper S+ and now $-Taper X I can give a little insight on these shafts.  For me they are a great fit, I have a steep AoA with a mid to quick transition.  The $-Tapers keep up with both stock shots and shots that I put a little more into.  I used to play the Tours in X and loved the feel but they ballooned on me hence why I went with the C-Tapers in S+.  The C-Tapers where great and I played well with them but they were a little harsher than the Tours, my ball flight was lower and so were my spin numbers.  I could have kept the C-Tapers in play but after seeing the $-Tapers come out and my need to tinker I had to try them.  The $-Tapers X launch slightly higher than my previous C-Taper S+ and spin slightly higher as well, I assume the difference would have been greater if I was comparing X to X.  What I like about the $-Taper is the feel, its not as boardy and I can feel a slight kick at impact which is growing on me as I continue to play them, its not as soft feeling as the Tours as some have mentioned in previous threads but softer then the C-Taper for sure.  I don't feel I need to swing as hard with the $-Tapers as I did the C-Tapers and feel my game has improved due to this.

And I believe new versions of the $-Tapers do not have the 360 Label that mind have

IMG_0309.JPG
are you going to stick with the S+'s or go to an X? IF you stick with S+'s then I will go S straight in looking at the flex shafts you play for sure....
I am using the $-tapers in X,  how I wrote the above my have not been worded the best.  my old C-Tapers were S+ and the new $-Tapers are in X
Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X @ 42.5"
Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
Callaway MD3 Black 51/11 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway MD3 Black 56/10 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Black 64/10 w/ TT DG S400 Onyx
Putter: Odyssey Havok
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow

26

#27 Volgolfer

Volgolfer

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10249
  • Joined: 01/21/2006
  • Location:Charlotte
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

Here’s my experience using $-Taper.  I’ve played the Tour and Tour-V and in all honesty can’t see a lot of up-side with this shaft.  Not a lot gained in distance, no real change in spin characteristics, and feel and dispersion are about the same.  So IMO, you’re better off with Tour (lower trajectory) or Tour V (higher trajectory), especially at the price point.

27

#28 FirePro

FirePro

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286817
  • Joined: 12/05/2013
  • Location:Brampton
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

you found the tours to launch lower than the $-Taper? or is that the comparison between Tours and Tour V?
Cobra FlyZ+ @ 8.5 deg w/Grafalloy (White) Blue X-Stiff tipped 3/4" @ 44.75"
Taylormade 2017 M1 set to 13 deg w/ RBZ TP Aldila RIP Alpha 70X @ 42.5"
Srixon Z U45 4 & 2 w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 105 X Hybrid shaft (4 @ 38.5", 2 @ 39.5")
Srixon Z745 (5-PW) w/ KBS $-Taper X 130 Black
Callaway MD3 Black 51/11 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway MD3 Black 56/10 w/ TT DG Tour Issue S400 Onyx Tipped 1/4"
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Black 64/10 w/ TT DG S400 Onyx
Putter: Odyssey Havok
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow

28

#29 phatchrisrules

phatchrisrules

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20680
  • Joined: 10/17/2006
  • Location:Southern Ontario, Canada
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 356

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:58 AM

 FirePro, on 14 November 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

you found the tours to launch lower than the $-Taper? or is that the comparison between Tours and Tour V?

No, I think it was just worded weirdly.  The way I read it is it doesn't feel any different or perform much better than either the Tour or Tour-V, which can be had for a lot less p/ club.
G30 LS Tec - Ping Tour S
Taylormade M2 Tour 15* - KK Silver DC 70X
Taylormade R15 TP 17* - Graphite Design MJ 6X
Irons TBD
Miura 50* - Aldila RIP 115
Nike Engage 55* Toe Sweep and 59* Square Sole - DG s300
Bettinardi Inovai

29

#30 tdk8180

tdk8180

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77908
  • Joined: 03/20/2009
  • Location:Parts Unknown
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:36 AM

 phatchrisrules, on 15 November 2017 - 07:58 AM, said:

 FirePro, on 14 November 2017 - 03:27 PM, said:

you found the tours to launch lower than the $-Taper? or is that the comparison between Tours and Tour V?

No, I think it was just worded weirdly.  The way I read it is it doesn't feel any different or perform much better than either the Tour or Tour-V, which can be had for a lot less p/ club.

This is why a person should just hit it themselves.  You have people that dont know the difference between an x100, s taper, modus 120.  "WHATS THE DIFFERENCE, its a hunk of metal" mentality.  You arent going to get valid information from someone that cant sense feel or performance changes as well as people who are hyper sensitive to performance change and feel.

The s-taper is a nice shaft that performs as advertised.  I recommend playing them true to flex unless you are a power digger, and in that case...play the Ctaper.

Edited by tdk8180, 16 November 2017 - 01:16 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors