Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Question regarding tipping

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 George1174

George1174

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 416452
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:34 AM

I had a glued in Oban Devotion 6 that I tried to pull. Unfortunately it didn‘t work out and I had to sacrifice the shaft bit that was inside the hosel i.e. about 3/4“. I installed a Callaway adapter afterwards. I was thinking, OK now it‘s just a bit stiffer than before.

But is it? I always thought that tipping is making shafts stiffer b/c you shift the kickpoint closer to the tip but yesterday I read that shafts play stiffer only if you tip before cutting the butt so that you are using more of the stiffest part of the shaft, the butt, if you keep the length the same.

The tip that is inserted in the adapter should not flex at all due to the adapter so isn‘t the tip stiffer then?

I can‘t really compare the feel because I didn‘t play the glued driver in a long time. It was a 12.5 deg driver that has never been R&A conforming.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 11* - Oban Devotion 6 44" tipped 0.5"
Callaway XR16 4W 17°
Callaway X2Hot 4H 22* -
Aldila Tour blue
Cleveland Mashie 3H 20.5° - Miyazaki C.Kua 59
Mizuno MP-59 4-PW - KBS Tour R hs
Cleveland CG15 52/10 bent to 50* Wedge flex
Cleveland CG16 56/14 bent to 55*
Cleveland CG16 60/10
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 30"
Winn Jumbo Pistol, 40gr down the shaft, 40gr counterweight

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 cmagnusson

cmagnusson

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475048
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

Yes, it will be stiffer. By ~3/8 a flex, if you believe the 1" tip = 1/2 flex rule of thumb.

I get what you're saying about not touching the butt, and the confusion therein. Yes, the general principle is that if you have say, a stock 46" shaft, and if you tip trim vs butt trim the 1" off to get 45", the tip trimming removes the soft part and butt removes the stiff part, so the tip trimmed one is stiffer.

However you have to think that going from the tip to the butt is a progressive and tapered thing through the shaft. So even if you only tip trim an already butt-cut shaft (leaving the "same amount of butt" around), you're still defacto introducing more butt into the shaft by ratio. IE the butt used to be 12"/45" = 26.7% of the shaft, and now after an inch tip it is 12/44 = 27.3% of the shaft. (PS I made up the 12", I have no idea how much of the shaft is considered what part)

Hope that helps.
Cobra BioCell+ 8.5*D, Aldila RIP'D NV 65 TX at 44.75"
Ping Rapture 14*, Diamana Blueboard 73g X-Stiff
Adams Red 20* Hybrid, Matrix OZIK Altus Tour Stiff
TaylorMade RBladez 5i-PW, Stiff
TaylorMade RAC 50*, 55*, 60*
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors