Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Hogan 1978 Commemorative - More Than a Feeling

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 northplatteriver

northplatteriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411612
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

Had a feeling there was more to the small dents on the sole plate of the 3 wood.  It did not have that solid feeling  or sound when it was hit so I removed the sole plate and found some ugly spidery cracks behind the insert that align with the dents in the sole plate.  I am guessing I will have to remove the insert to fix this properly, but was hoping there was another way and thought I would put it to the forum for suggestions.  I have seen some postings on drilling holes and forcing epoxy into the cracks with wooden dowels.  Is it possible to do this without removing the fiber insert since I stripped two screws just getting the sole plate off.  This brings up another question... what screws do you use if you strip the origanls, can I use other brass wood screws from the hardware store or do I need to find donor screws from other clubs.

Attached Files

Edited by northplatteriver, 13 October 2017 - 06:33 AM.

WITB
Hogan 1957 Precision Irons 2-E
Hogan 1978 Commemorative Woods 1, 3, 4, 5
Hogan "Forty-Seven" Sand Wedge
1950's MacGregor "Ben Hogan" Parmaker putter

Additional Sets
Hogan 1958 Sunburst Sabers 2-E
Hogan 1957 Precisions 2,3,4,5,7,8,9
Hogan 1955 Precision Woods 1,2,3,4

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 northplatteriver

northplatteriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

View Postnorthplatteriver, on 12 October 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

Had a feeling there was more to the small dents on the sole plate of the 3 wood.  It did not have that solid feeling  or sound when it was hit so I removed the sole plate and found some ugly spidery cracks behind the insert that align with the dents in the sole plate.  I am guessing I will have to remove the insert to fix this properly, but was hoping there was another way and thought I would put it to the forum for suggestions.  I have seen some postings on drilling holes and forcing epoxy into the cracks with wooden dowels.  Is it possible to do this without removing the fiber insert since I stripped two screws just getting the sole plate off.  This brings up another question... what screws do you use if you strip the origanls, can I use other brass wood screws from the hardware store or do I need to find donor screws from other clubs.
Was also interesting to find cork in the center of this club.  Is this like corking a bat in baseball?
WITB

Additional Sets

#3 84425

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68610
  • Ebay ID:jurren
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:14 AM

Not 100% sure of the reason behind the cork, but one reason could be that the cork serves as a filler and if you would take out the cork you might find a bit of lead. That way you could move the centre of gravity of the wood up.

#4 Socrates

Socrates

How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn?

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60534
GolfWRX Likes : 2594

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

A brass screw is a brass screw, but it you want to be using the same type, you need to source some Reed & Prince screws from the era.  I don't do this kind of work any more so I can't tell you where to get them, but I''m sure that there are plenty of sources.  You also need the correct screwdrivers for these screws which is why you likely striped them taking them out.

Common to have cork in the center.  Hogan, and others, used brass and lead backweights and that is where they would put the weight.  Wouldn't be surprised if you took out the cork and found lead under it too with the cork just filling the remaining cavity.  Club makers were very creative back then in moving weight around.

I would leave the insert in place.  Taking it out might lead to many more problems than it would solve.
Ping G400 9 TFC 419 Stiff at 45" Ping G30 10.5 Ping TFC 419 Reg or Stiff Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D2 Vokey SM2 52 cc Ping ES 56 and ES 60 Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#5 northplatteriver

northplatteriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostSocrates, on 13 October 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

A brass screw is a brass screw, but it you want to be using the same type, you need to source some Reed & Prince screws from the era.  I don't do this kind of work any more so I can't tell you where to get them, but I''m sure that there are plenty of sources.  You also need the correct screwdrivers for these screws which is why you likely striped them taking them out.

Common to have cork in the center.  Hogan, and others, used brass and lead backweights and that is where they would put the weight.  Wouldn't be surprised if you took out the cork and found lead under it too with the cork just filling the remaining cavity.  Club makers were very creative back then in moving weight around.

I would leave the insert in place.  Taking it out might lead to many more problems than it would solve.
So you think just a good coat of epoxy before I screw the sole plate back on and move on?

Edited by northplatteriver, 13 October 2017 - 12:25 PM.

WITB

Additional Sets

#6 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,406 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:14 PM

I would try and inject some epoxy into the cracks but they are so small and tight you might not get anything in there.  The reason I said to leave the insert alone was that getting the screws out without damaging them is pretty tough (usually).  Then if the insert is still tight, you might split off some chunks from the face prying it away.  Then there is the re-assembly and getting the screws in just right.  If you don't you have to file and sand the face and then re-seal it.

The other thing that says to me to try and remove the insert, is that it might not be tight to the wood and is kind of floating and this is giving you the dead feeling.  Back in the day, before I knew what I was sort of doing, I messed up a few heads trying to fix something small and turning it into a disaster.  

Given all the options and not knowing how experienced you are at this, I might be inclined to drill a few small holes and try and inject some epoxy into the cracks and leave it at that.  Worst case scenario, you have a nice wall hanger.
Ping G400 9 TFC 419 Stiff at 45" Ping G30 10.5 Ping TFC 419 Reg or Stiff Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff X2 Hot 5-PW Recoil Reg - D2 Vokey SM2 52 cc Ping ES 56 and ES 60 Scotty X7M Dual 38"

#7 northplatteriver

northplatteriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostSocrates, on 13 October 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

I would try and inject some epoxy into the cracks but they are so small and tight you might not get anything in there.  The reason I said to leave the insert alone was that getting the screws out without damaging them is pretty tough (usually).  Then if the insert is still tight, you might split off some chunks from the face prying it away.  Then there is the re-assembly and getting the screws in just right.  If you don't you have to file and sand the face and then re-seal it.

The other thing that says to me to try and remove the insert, is that it might not be tight to the wood and is kind of floating and this is giving you the dead feeling.  Back in the day, before I knew what I was sort of doing, I messed up a few heads trying to fix something small and turning it into a disaster.  

Given all the options and not knowing how experienced you are at this, I might be inclined to drill a few small holes and try and inject some epoxy into the cracks and leave it at that.  Worst case scenario, you have a nice wall hanger.
Specifically what type of screwdriver should I be using to take out these types of screws?
WITB

Additional Sets

#8 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,406 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

View Postnorthplatteriver, on 13 October 2017 - 07:00 PM, said:

View PostSocrates, on 13 October 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

Specifically what type of screwdriver should I be using to take out these types of screws?
Kinda thought I had given that with the name of the screw.  You actually need a Reed & Prince screwdriver for said screws.  Google Reed & Prince to see the difference.  They look like a typical Phillips screw but the angle of the bit is different.

#9 teevons

teevons

Major Winner

• 1,990 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68116
  • Ebay ID:persimmblade
GolfWRX Likes : 1791

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:54 PM

Here is one on ebay, you can also get bits that are reed and prince, Frearson also works

If you decide to tackle it I have the screws

You should get a Golfworks repair manual if you are serious about doing repair as there are many things that you might run into when you start to take heads apart

http://www.ebay.com/...o4AAOSwnVVZpyYe

#10 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• 3,019 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 1270

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:11 PM

northplatte-

+1 with teevons.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 northplatteriver

northplatteriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

View Postrex235, on 13 October 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

northplatte-

+1 with teevons.
Great information from all.  Looks like I will have to start adding to the toolbox.  Not sure this club is the one I want to use for the sacrificial learning lamb, but I have a few others to get my technique down on before I tackle it.  Not much for wall hangers so I would like to get this club in a state to be out in the sunshine.  Thinking a few drill holes and epoxy for this one.  This does bring up an excellent topic for what a good basic club maintenance\rebuiliding\repair toolbox would contain, but that might be better as its own thread.  Most likely already is on this incredible forum.
WITB

Additional Sets

#12 Socrates

Socrates

• 7,406 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

View Postnorthplatteriver, on 14 October 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

northplatte-

+1 with teevons.
Great information from all.  Looks like I will have to start adding to the toolbox.  Not sure this club is the one I want to use for the sacrificial learning lamb, but I have a few others to get my technique down on before I tackle it.  Not much for wall hangers so I would like to get this club in a state to be out in the sunshine.  Thinking a few drill holes and epoxy for this one.  This does bring up an excellent topic for what a good basic club maintenance\rebuiliding\repair toolbox would contain, but that might be better as its own thread.  Most likely already is on this incredible forum.
A lot of the tools you might want are found at a fine woodworking store.  Files, scrapers, screw drivers and good info since there is a lot of cross-over info.  That and getting a hold of the Maltby Book Repair Book .  There are several, but this is a good starter.

#13 northplatteriver

northplatteriver

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

View PostSocrates, on 14 October 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

View Postnorthplatteriver, on 14 October 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

northplatte-

+1 with teevons.
A lot of the tools you might want are found at a fine woodworking store.  Files, scrapers, screw drivers and good info since there is a lot of cross-over info.  That and getting a hold of the Maltby Book Repair Book .  There are several, but this is a good starter.
Excelllent recommendation.  I just ordered that book.  Any other suggestions as far as books?
WITB

Additional Sets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors