Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you breath when you swing?


140 replies to this topic

#1 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

Do you inhale on the backswing and exhale on the downswing, or do you exhale on the backswing and inhale on the downswing? Or, maybe you hold your breath the whole time, terrified of missing the ball, or ****ing your pants. Or maybe, you have no idea, and it's either a problem, or it's not. A long time ago (back in the 20th century), I realized I inhale on the downswing. It's not a purposeful inhalation, but an automatic response to having created a 'vacuum'. (I kind of think it's idiotic to breath in any other way, but I don't wish to be a D-Bag about it.)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 adogg18

adogg18

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428462
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Eastern NC
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

I'm currently taking a breathing lesson to fix my issues.

2

#3 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Linus!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 7369

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

Hold it for 10 minutes before starting thread about whether inhale or exhale. Come on.

Edited by Hawkeye77, 12 October 2017 - 10:13 PM.


3

#4 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

Well, that's two for "I don't know."

4

#5 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Linus!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 7369

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

Mine is I don't care!


5

#6 hybrid25

hybrid25

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
  • Joined: 08/01/2016
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:15 PM

In through my left nostril for a draw, my right for a fade. The deeper the breath, the more accentuated the ball movement!

6

#7 adogg18

adogg18

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428462
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Eastern NC
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:17 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

Well, that's two for "I don't know."

I thought I knew how to breath, but one day this guy approaches me while I'm warming up on the range for a tournament and asks me if I inhale or exhale on my backswing.

It shattered my whole universe. I now can't hit the ball anymore. That's why I'm taking breathing lessons from a PGA professional.

7

#8 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 12 October 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

Hold it for 10 minutes before starting thread about whether inhale or exhale. Come on.

If you don't like the thread, stay tf out of it.

8

#9 Mcgeeno

Mcgeeno

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144643
  • Joined: 10/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 552

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

Never thought about it until now!

I guess you can offer to rock me to sleep after I attempt to harness my breathing next round and shoot 100.

9

#10 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:25 PM

Martial arts, shooting, etc. all rely on controlling the breath as part of their practice. A quote from Jack Nicklaus on the matter, regarding putting - "I hold my breath during and just prior to making the [putting] stroke. By preventing the diaphragm from moving this helps me to keep my body and head perfectly still." Have you all, seriously, never considered the matter? (Yikes!)


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 adogg18

adogg18

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428462
  • Joined: 06/08/2016
  • Location:Eastern NC
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:29 PM

No, I've never considered the matter of inhaling or exhaling. But during my preshot routine, I will take a deep breath similar to what you see Jason Day do.

Before I hit my shot, I will try to slow things down by one deep breath while staring at the target I've chosen.

11

#12 Mcgeeno

Mcgeeno

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144643
  • Joined: 10/30/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 552

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:42 PM

Yeah I breath in through my nose and out through my mouth while shaking my fingertips during my preshot routine but literally have never spent 1 second worrying about how my inhale vs exhale situation is during my swing.

I have about 36 other thoughts taking precedence during the swing LOL.

12

#13 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:46 PM

How many of you clowns bother with pre-shot routines if you've never thought about breathing? (I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.)

13

#14 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4760

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Martial arts, shooting, etc. all rely on controlling the breath as part of their practice. A quote from Jack Nicklaus on the matter, regarding putting - "I hold my breath during and just prior to making the [putting] stroke. By preventing the diaphragm from moving this helps me to keep my body and head perfectly still." Have you all, seriously, never considered the matter? (Yikes!)
And others will tell you, as I believe, that holding your breath will lead to tension.
  Just remember to breathe is really a common refrain.
TM M1 8.5*  Tensei Pro White 50TX
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Cleveland  RTX CB 50* 54* 58* Nippon 125 wedge
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

14

#15 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
  • Joined: 06/19/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 1406

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

How many of you clowns bother with pre-shot routines if you've never thought about breathing? (I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.)

You're referring to others as clowns ?


15

#16 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

View PostShilgy, on 12 October 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

Martial arts, shooting, etc. all rely on controlling the breath as part of their practice. A quote from Jack Nicklaus on the matter, regarding putting - "I hold my breath during and just prior to making the [putting] stroke. By preventing the diaphragm from moving this helps me to keep my body and head perfectly still." Have you all, seriously, never considered the matter? (Yikes!)
And others will tell you, as I believe, that holding your breath will lead to tension.
  Just remember to breathe is really a common refrain.

The only time I've held my breath during something physical was purposefully, when I was still lifting (Valsalva Maneuver). My curiosity stems from observing other people, in the same activites (golf and Yoga, specifically), breathing opposite to what I do.

16

#17 llewol007

llewol007

    4KidsGolfer

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Joined: 11/15/2012
  • Location:San Jose, Ca
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:23 PM

If you are seriously thinking about your breathing, you are not going to play well.
Taylormade JDM SLDR 10* Paderson Kinetixx KG860TP D40
Taylormade RBZ Tour Spoon Hazardouz
TaylorMade 2014 MB 4-Pw Paderson Kinetixx X Flex
Taylormade Tour Preffered Chrome EF Insert Carbon Steel 52/58 Paderson Wedge flex
Taylormade
Taylormade TP5X/Lethal

17

#18 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:25 PM

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

If you are seriously thinking about your breathing, you are not going to play well.

Well, it's really an observation and a curiosity, but why do you say that?

18

#19 llewol007

llewol007

    4KidsGolfer

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Joined: 11/15/2012
  • Location:San Jose, Ca
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:29 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

If you are seriously thinking about your breathing, you are not going to play well.

Well, it's really an observation and a curiosity, but why do you say that?
The golf swing in itself is a battle of many little things working together. Now the breathing aspect has nothing to do with the mechanical movement of the swing so if you are thinking about breathing, you have a up hill climb from the get go.

Edited by llewol007, 12 October 2017 - 11:30 PM.

Taylormade JDM SLDR 10* Paderson Kinetixx KG860TP D40
Taylormade RBZ Tour Spoon Hazardouz
TaylorMade 2014 MB 4-Pw Paderson Kinetixx X Flex
Taylormade Tour Preffered Chrome EF Insert Carbon Steel 52/58 Paderson Wedge flex
Taylormade
Taylormade TP5X/Lethal

19

#20 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:41 PM

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

If you are seriously thinking about your breathing, you are not going to play well.

Well, it's really an observation and a curiosity, but why do you say that?
The golf swing in itself is a battle of many little things working together. Now the breathing aspect has nothing to do with the mechanical movement of the swing so if you are thinking about breathing, you have a up hill climb from the get go.

One can be aware of many things and still play just as well, or just as poorly. The golf swing is physiological, not mechanical. Mechanics are just part of a physiological action. We don't have to keep track of everything in our physiology in order for them to work (unless they suddenly stop working). Thinking about, or just even noticing an aspect of one's physiology does not necessitate a crashing halt to what one is trying to do. To ignore something as essential as breathing, for fear that one will suddenly crumble in one's efforts, I believe, is a mistake.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 llewol007

llewol007

    4KidsGolfer

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Joined: 11/15/2012
  • Location:San Jose, Ca
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:45 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

If you are seriously thinking about your breathing, you are not going to play well.

Well, it's really an observation and a curiosity, but why do you say that?
The golf swing in itself is a battle of many little things working together. Now the breathing aspect has nothing to do with the mechanical movement of the swing so if you are thinking about breathing, you have a up hill climb from the get go.

One can be aware of many things and still play just as well, or just as poorly. The golf swing is physiological, not mechanical. Mechanics are just part of a physiological action. We don't have to keep track of everything in our physiology in order for them to work (unless they suddenly stop working). Thinking about, or just even noticing an aspect of one's physiology does not necessitate a crashing halt to what one is trying to do. To ignore something as essential as breathing, for fear that one will suddenly crumble in one's efforts, I believe, is a mistake.
The body is Physical but the golf swing is mechanical. Breathing is such an automatic and is really individual based that one breaths however they see fit. And I understand thats your main point. I dont disagree that it has an importance but the aspect of breathing must be automatic and not overthought.
Taylormade JDM SLDR 10* Paderson Kinetixx KG860TP D40
Taylormade RBZ Tour Spoon Hazardouz
TaylorMade 2014 MB 4-Pw Paderson Kinetixx X Flex
Taylormade Tour Preffered Chrome EF Insert Carbon Steel 52/58 Paderson Wedge flex
Taylormade
Taylormade TP5X/Lethal

21

#22 jbw749

jbw749

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142633
  • Joined: 10/15/2011
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 411

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:51 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

Do you inhale on the backswing and exhale on the downswing, or do you exhale on the backswing and inhale on the downswing? Or, maybe you hold your breath the whole time, terrified of missing the ball, or ****ing your pants. Or maybe, you have no idea, and it's either a problem, or it's not. A long time ago (back in the 20th century), I realized I inhale on the downswing. It's not a purposeful inhalation, but an automatic response to having created a 'vacuum'. (I kind of think it's idiotic to breath in any other way, but I don't wish to be a D-Bag about it.)

Inhale while checking the target, turn head back to ball, exhale and go, exhale the whole swing into the finish. Just the way I do it. It's not conscious anymore. It's just how I breath if I'm golfing. No need to think about it.

22

#23 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:39 AM

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:29 PM, said:

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 12 October 2017 - 11:25 PM, said:

View Postllewol007, on 12 October 2017 - 11:23 PM, said:

If you are seriously thinking about your breathing, you are not going to play well.

Well, it's really an observation and a curiosity, but why do you say that?
The golf swing in itself is a battle of many little things working together. Now the breathing aspect has nothing to do with the mechanical movement of the swing so if you are thinking about breathing, you have a up hill climb from the get go.

One can be aware of many things and still play just as well, or just as poorly. The golf swing is physiological, not mechanical. Mechanics are just part of a physiological action. We don't have to keep track of everything in our physiology in order for them to work (unless they suddenly stop working). Thinking about, or just even noticing an aspect of one's physiology does not necessitate a crashing halt to what one is trying to do. To ignore something as essential as breathing, for fear that one will suddenly crumble in one's efforts, I believe, is a mistake.
The body is Physical but the golf swing is mechanical. Breathing is such an automatic and is really individual based that one breaths however they see fit. And I understand thats your main point. I dont disagree that it has an importance but the aspect of breathing must be automatic and not overthought.

Breathing is not automatic. (By contrast, converting your food into poop is far more automatic.) You can hold your breath. You can pant. You can do all sorts of things with your breath.
I don't consciously control my breath when I swing, but I'm aware of my breath when I do, not as a matter of importance, but as a matter of curiosity. That's why I asked the question. I was just curious as to what others did.


Edit: First comment needs to be amended. Breathing is largely automatic unless you override it. For example, if you try to commit suicide by holding your breath, you’ll eventually pass out resulting in an automatic resumption of breathing, thusly foiling your attempt.

Edited by Petunia Sprinkle, 17 October 2017 - 08:53 AM.


23

#24 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

    Future King of France

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
  • Joined: 09/25/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 3015

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:47 AM

I just remembered, I have wondered in the past if the breath might possibly be used as a protection of the spine (like the Valsalva Maneuver during the powerlifts) during a golf swing. My thinking was that inhaling during the downswing (the more brutal aspect of golf) may decompress the spine.

24

#25 sb944

sb944

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478852
  • Joined: 08/14/2017
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

Two things.  Before I approach the ball I pivot the club around slowly in my right hand, while focusing on breathing in and out.  No swing thoughts, no "that last putt..." just focusing on breathing and twirling the club.  The breathing is to help relax, the pivoting club is to instruct my brain what the club head feels like.  If I'm feeling particularly nervous, I'll do this while looking around for some scenery, or something interesting on the course around me, could just be some trees, or an interesting house nearby, etc.  I usually find this relaxes me quickly.  I then get the club in the left hand and do two very slow and very loose swings with my left hand, breathing in on the backswing and out on the downswing, imagining the club I'm swinging is absolutely crushing a ball as it passes the impact zone.  No practice swings.  Though if I'm waiting 10-15 minutes per shot like last week, I do end up doing 1000 practice swings during the wait, the preshot stays the same though.

Once ready to hit, I was breathing in slowly once and breathing out, then swinging once I'd exhaled almost fully, not breathing again until after the swing.  However, it started to become a little distracting.  If my breath was almost all out, and my head wasn't quite right for other reasons, I'd do another breath, but now I start thinking I'm standing over it too long.  

I still do the pre shot, but don't worry about where my breath is at during the swing anymore.


25

#26 Moshjean

Moshjean

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411284
  • Joined: 02/06/2016
  • Location:Orange County
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:08 AM

One of my buddies says this to get into peoples heads, I don't approve haha. YMMV but the less I think about things the better I play. Identifying swing faults during a round is mental torture enough, I couldn't imagine thinking about breathing too
___________________________________________
Callaway XR 9º Aldila NV 2KXV Green
Callaway XR 15º Aldila Tour Green 65
Cleveland Launcher DST 20.5º Aldila NV Proto
Srixon z545 (4-6) Nippon Modus 120X
Srixon z745 (7-PW) Nippon Modus 120X
Vokey SM5 (50,54,58)

26

#27 marlowe70

marlowe70

    righty playing lefty

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6109
  • Joined: 09/19/2005
  • Location:Giessen, Germany
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:04 AM

Exhale and don`t breath at all during the swing...and I´m serious.

A few years ago I had some serious issues with starting the backswing on tee shots, especially with the driver. Out of luck I ran into a pro who gave me this tip to work breathing into the pre shot routine. One last look to the target, exhale, swing and then breathe again. It worked for me and works to this day.

27

#28 David C

David C

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66728
  • Joined: 09/30/2008
  • Location:England
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

Breathe like a sniper 👍🏻

Edited by David C, 13 October 2017 - 02:34 AM.


28

#29 dachtor

dachtor

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3117
  • Joined: 07/19/2005
  • Location:Atlanta, GA
  • Ebay ID:jeffbeck70
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

I breath thru my eyelids, like the lava lizards of the Galapagos Islands..........
Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5 - Hzrdus Black 6.0
Taylormade 2017 M2 3 wood - Diamana D+ 70
Taylormade 2017 M1 3 Hybrid - Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+ 80
Mizuno 900 Forged 5-PW - Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist SM5 GW - SW - LW
Cameron X7M putter 33"

29

#30 northgolf

northgolf

    Pork

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79459
  • Joined: 04/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1076

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

I breathe in through my left nostril on the back swing and exhale forcefully through my right nostril until impact when I scream POW!, and then I watch the ball disappear over the mountains.

Edited by northgolf, 13 October 2017 - 08:08 AM.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users


    oikos1

GolfWRX Sponsors