Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do I stop casting and early extending?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jheat

jheat

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482602
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

Could anyone give me advice as to how to really compress the ball and hit down on it instead of casting? How do I stop early extending? I seem to stand straight up at impact.

I could maybe PM my swing. I can't get it to post.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Macogardy

Macogardy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 432882
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 161

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

There's only one secret of the pro for that but I can't post it here
Pm me with your swing and I'll share it with you for freeeee

#3 Macogardy

Macogardy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

I do share answers
I was half kidding but the secret is proper lower body movement.

I used to early extend really badly I still fight it,
But mchatton showed me the proper lower body movement based on the biomechanics study he did with Ucla on hogans swing and it cleared up a lot of pieces I had been working on for years.

Edited by Macogardy, 12 October 2017 - 09:12 PM.

#4 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,406 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 5012

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:10 AM

View Postjheat, on 12 October 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

How did you try to post it?     The best way is to upload the video to youtube and include a link (except change https to http) in your post to that video.

#5 ayan

ayan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 327365
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Could anyone give me advice as to how to really compress the ball and hit down on it instead of casting? How do I stop early extending? I seem to stand straight up at impact.

I can only offer a very high level answer, and half blindly, since I have not seen you swing a club.  I think when most people say the flip or cast they are, as you say, early extending.  The reason for that is because, for one, it works in that it allows you to hit the ball.  Also, I think it's an intuitive approach for many (probably most) of us.  If you didn't early extend -- whether it be by standing up, sticking your butt out, standing on the tips of your toes, etc. -- you would probably initially hit way behind the ball and wouldn't be inclined to explore that option much further.  So we get comfortable with this intuitive move that allows the club to work out (towards the target line) too much, too soon.  The club head gets it in front of the body, and far from it as well, early on in the downswing and before the lower body has done much of anything.  This is the "over the top" move, and you can watch tons of videos on this topic on the Internet for a more thorough description.

If you want to change that, you have to allow your brain to get comfortable with the idea of hitting the ball in a different way.  The "preferred way" is to not come over the top for reasons you can read about here, or see explained in videos, etc.   That can be done in a number of different ways, and it's easy to get too technical very quickly.  Also, it's not uncommon to read theories that seem to contradict one another,.  I believe one thing is clear: if you don't want to come over the top and you don't want to early extend and come out of your spine tilt angle, you have to get your hips out of the way and start to turn to make room for the arms and club to swing through, closer to your body than you're probably doing now.  There are, once again, many theories on how to to this: bump the hips, don't bump the hips but squat instead, shift your weight to the left, leave the weight alone but shift the pressure, etc.  This is also a huge rabbit hole, one I recommend you try to stay as far away from as you can.  

An effective way to learn that motion -- the simple act of more successfully swinging a club -- whatever that motion entails for you, is to corner yourself into not having many other options.  To that end, there is a great little drill by Mike Malaska, that addresses that by suggesting you try to toss a ball with your right hand (right handed player) from the top of your backswing, keeping your spine angle.  Check the link below.  I hope it gives you something to chew on that will help you.

Driver -  Ping G30 10.5* w/ TFC 419 S Shaft
Wood -    Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 4W (16.5°) w/ Fujikura Motore Exotics 75 Shaft
Hybrids - Adams New Idea 3H (19°) and 4H (22°) w/ Mitsubishi Bassara Eagle Series 65 Shaft
Irons -   Taylor Made Speedblade 4i - 9i
Wedges -  Taylor Made Speedblade PW, AW, SW, LW
Putter -  Odyssey Works Versa #1 Wide

#6 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132818
GolfWRX Likes : 1946

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostRange Rodent, on 12 October 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Mac you seem to have heaps of swing knowledge. Are you a teacher that gives lessons ? Would be nice if you shared your answers with everyone like the other pros do.

If by swing knowledge you mean someone you would look to if you needed to know how to constantly get banned here and how to create multiple usernames to skirt the rules...then yes...he's a genius.  Otherwise, I would seek someone else to get swing knowledge from.
TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI
Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB
Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway RAZR MBs 4-PW w/ i95 Steelfiber
Callaway MD3 50* & 54*/58* PM grind
Odyssey MXM 1W

#7 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

These are two different issues.

The first one is casting. Try to feel the pressure in your lead armpit all the way through impact, that can help.

The second one is early extension. This is caused by either you wanting to look up and watch the ball, or by "wincing". You can fix this by keeping your head steady through the swing up to impact. Some people even keep their heads tilted back through the early part of their follow through. The thing about this one is maintaining your spine angle and plane.

For both things, do the movements really slowly at first so your body can adapt to the changes. Move slowly and get incrementally  faster a tiny bit at a time.

You'll likely have other issues to fix as well, but don't worry too much about where the ball goes at first. Just focus on the body positions.

#8 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

"Just gonna send it" - L.E.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474344
  • Handicap:MMJ
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Sam Snead says "don't play the flute at the top of the swing" classic shell WWOG clip.

Edited by Carvallo Golf, 14 October 2017 - 08:21 AM.

Current WITB:
Driver: Taylormade R7 TP 8.5
Fwy Woods: new woods in process for next season
Irons: new set in process for next season
Wedges: Taylormade Tour Issue EF 54&60 deg w/TT DG X100
Putter: Slotline HMI w/Superstroke Slim 3.0
Ball: TP5 (bye bye bridgestone)

#9 TravAz

TravAz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52825
GolfWRX Likes : 232

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:43 AM

Jheat - Mark Crossfield has some great content on youtube about this.

My ah-ha moment was realizing the right knee rotates instead of moving towards the ball and taking the right hip with it. Almost like the trail foot is on a lazy susan. Also, if your trail foot is flared open at all it makes it much easier for the knee to move out to the ball. I actually have my trail foot closed a touch. Different feels for everyone though, youve really got to stay focused, take lots of vids and try to feel whats happening.
Current Bag:
Cobra F7+,  Baffler
Vapor Fly Pro irons
TM EF 50,54 PM Grind 58

#10 smdykas

smdykas

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451598
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:seabassmd
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Could anyone give me advice as to how to really compress the ball and hit down on it instead of casting? How do I stop early extending? I seem to stand straight up at impact.I could maybe PM my swing. I can't get it to post.
Read the arm swing illusion thread here on wrx. Jim Waldron will fix the cast. He did for me!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Ben Berube

Ben Berube

Benny

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 283426
  • Handicap:5
  • Ebay ID:Berube03
GolfWRX Likes : 411

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

Tons of great info in here the others added.  But what came to my mind is the "shut face swing".  Stricker, Zach Johnson, even Spieth a little and Azinger is the best know if I remember right.  Check out Youtube but you simply set yourself at impact position.  Not pre shot position.  Impact.  You lock everything in place and literally just swing the shoulders.  You do not break down anything. No wrists, elbows, don't turn your forearms, only locked and swing.  This does fade the ball but like Zach and Speith you can draw with a release, (unlocking everything after impact). Stricker is full shut face back to front and its a fade. I welcome you hit me up as this is always fun to talk about!  Hope it helps... :)
WITB (for this week =)

- Tour Issue R15 430 - 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Tensi Proto TS 60
- Scratch Tour Ari 2016 Proto's / DW & JMC built - w/Nippon 1150GH's
- Tour Issue Aeroburner woods 3HL and 5hl w/ Matrix XCon 6.5- 17.3* & 19.6*
- Tour Issue Scratch 1018 DW 50 (52) and DW. 60*
- Tour Issue Taylormade MC, JD Spider, Manta
- Tour Issue Odyssey R-Line

-------------***always up for trades***--------------

#12 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3249

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

Figure out what you'd do instead and do that. (If all you care about is not doing it, just quit playing, or fall off a cliff.)

#13 Macogardy

Macogardy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Jheat did you have a chance to try that drill I shared.  Did it make sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors