Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

My G400 SFT review

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 73monte

73monte

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3106
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

This is sort of a follow-up post to my "Pulled the trigger on a G400" thread. Didn't want to attatch a review to that as It might have got buried.

Anyway,

About me: Pushing 60 years of age, sub 90 SS. Good player in my day, but deteriorating. Bad days I'll lose it right.

Current gamer: Bridgestone J715 B3. Could be the best driver I've ever had.

I opted for the G400 as I'm partial to smaller headed drivers. The reviews I've read all pointed to the fact that Ping has conquered the sound and feel problem that the G series have been criticized for. I'm not sure why I took the SFT. I guess the set-up looked the same to me, so I didn't really mind having the weight toward the heal. I don't mind upright lie angles, but hate closed faces, and this driver seems a little upright, but very square.

've had other Ping drivers. The isi, i15 and rapture were all phenomenal drivers. The lost me with the G25. Just hated everything about it, and haven't looked at another Ping until now.

So I played (18) today at my home course. Tough conditions, as it rained here for the last two days. Windy and a little cool as well. So, on the my review.

Distance: I didn't notice anything earth shattering. It gets it out there fine, but it's not 20 yards longer by any means. I mean at my SS, 5 yards would be huge, but I will say, considering how accurate it is, this in turn boosts confidence to swing harder which in turn results in what seems to be more distance, (if that makes any sense).

Feel and Sound: Much improved. It isn't the swallow up the ball feeling of my J715, but it's pretty darn good. It still has a hint of metallic to it, but not too much.

Accuracy/Forgiveness: This is where it seems to excel. I know I missed it a few times, but it was hard to tell. it's very forgiving. My J715 has to be screwed to get the most out of it, but the G400 definitely doesn't. Also, I never lost it right. I know I wiped it a little a couple of times, but never ended up where I expected.

Overall, I thought the G400 was a very good driver. It's very typical Ping in many ways. It feels very (head) light. The shaft feels fine for me, but launches it. I didn't mess with the settings, just left it a 10 degrees. The ballflight is high, and spinny. What I've read about the stock shaft might be true. Could be too much backspin. I'd love to try a different shaft and see how it plays. I'd really recommend this driver to just about anyone. It covers the scope from game improvement to players club, and the smaller footprint is what really attracted me. Hope this helps anyone who's considering.

Bridgestone J715 10.5
Adams Tight-lies Titanium 13.5d. fairway
Adams Super LS 17d. hybrid
Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Callaway Jaws 54d. 58d.
Odyssey white hot tour #2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 41466

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the review Monte. I demoed a G driver with the stiff Alta shaft and
I was surprised how good the feel and sound were. I don't get people hating on
the sound. But the G could not outperform my old G15 with PL Blue shaft.

Don't know why you hate the G25. I have one but only used it once. Did not
like the stock shaft so I bought another tip and a PL Blue shaft. Have not hit it
yet with the PL Blue but figure it will play about the same as my G15.

After watching Rick Shiels testing out 5 Ping driver releases it seems these
drivers don't perform all the differently from one another. Must admit though that
the smaller head on the G400 sounds appealing. Most smaller headed drivers
are less forgiving but it seems that's not the case with the G400.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
    Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
    Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#3 zed

zed

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23425
  • Ebay ID:zed4003373
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:46 AM

Op experience mirrors mine with the SFT, very reliably accurate, mine is set to the small "-" which keeps things a bit more from having a left bias. Sound and feel are spot on. Very happy, and starting to get a few more yards as well.
Ping G400 SFT 10 deg
Titleist 915D2 16.5 deg
Srixon Tour Hybrid 19 deg
Srixon H65 22 deg
Taylor Made PSi 5-PW
Ping Tour S 50 deg
Vokey 54 deg Raw
Ping Tour S 60 deg
Lajosi DD201 Long Neck Carbon Steel

#4 myspinonit

myspinonit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162493
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

View Postzed, on 13 October 2017 - 04:46 AM, said:

Op experience mirrors mine with the SFT, very reliably accurate, mine is set to the small "-" which keeps things a bit more from having a left bias. Sound and feel are spot on. Very happy, and starting to get a few more yards as well.

Early days for me with 1/2 doz rounds in and have been experimenting with settings.  My preferred setting also seems to be the "small -"  (12* head).  Mostly as I prefer the flatter lie and that also encourages me to turn it over from inside.

Overdid it at the range and golf rounds a few weeks ago and messed up my back and have been on the sidelines. Assuming the back holds up, I hope to give it at a dozen  or more more rounds while away for the next month in warm climes.

For any wondering about swingweight with the Kuro Kage Regular shaft as it is not counterbalanced, it came in at D1 at the standard 45.25" length for the aftermarket shafts.

I liked it so much at my fitting I ordered the same shaft with the SFT 16*, (stock 43")  without being able to demo that combo. That came in at C9.  The pro shop said that SW is pretty standard what they are seeing for delivery of Ping woods. And that is bang-on for the Ping specs for the stock CB shaft too....DO, less one point for the regular shaft per their website. Even less practice with that so far but liking it and  am adjusting to the swingweight, which is probably more a mental thing since I know what it is. Seem to be getting a few more yards than I did with my G25 4 wood, but again, early days.

Edited by myspinonit, 13 October 2017 - 08:21 AM.

Ping G400 SFT 12* Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60
Ping G400 SFT 16* Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60

Ping G SFT 19* Alta 65
Ping G25 hybrids 23* & 27* TFC 189
Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
Vokey SM5 49.07F, SM6 54.10 S & 58.08 M
Steelfiber i80
Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34"

#5 73monte

73monte

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3106
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

I posted elsewhere and didn't get any replies, but I thought I read (somewhere?) that the big/small +/- alter the lie angle? Not sure of this, as there's nothing on the Ping website about it, or in the manual. Anyone know about this? Supposedly flatter with the small settings.

Bridgestone J715 10.5
Adams Tight-lies Titanium 13.5d. fairway
Adams Super LS 17d. hybrid
Mizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Callaway Jaws 54d. 58d.
Odyssey white hot tour #2

#6 myspinonit

myspinonit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162493
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

View Post73monte, on 13 October 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

I posted elsewhere and didn't get any replies, but I thought I read (somewhere?) that the big/small +/- alter the lie angle? Not sure of this, as there's nothing on the Ping website about it, or in the manual. Anyone know about this? Supposedly flatter with the small settings.
Yes, as I said in my post above, " My preferred setting also seems to be the "small -"  (12* head).  Mostly as I prefer the flatter lie...".
The minus setting opens the face and flattens the lie a bit, + setting closes the face, more upright.

Edited by myspinonit, 13 October 2017 - 06:49 PM.

Ping G400 SFT 12* Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60
Ping G400 SFT 16* Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi 60

Ping G SFT 19* Alta 65
Ping G25 hybrids 23* & 27* TFC 189
Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70
Vokey SM5 49.07F, SM6 54.10 S & 58.08 M
Steelfiber i80
Scotty Cameron Futura 5 CB 34"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors