Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

A few Questions about the Sweet Spot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pigems

Pigems

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Handicap:7.8
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 15662

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:16 PM

I’ve got a couple questions about the Sweet spot on a golf club, I’m hoping someone may have some answers. I’m not sure if this should go in Club Techs or Equipment, I apologize if it’s in the wrong place. Anyways, back to my questions.

Why is the “Sweet Spot” of a club the SS of the club?

Why does that spot feel the best when struck there?

Why does that spot produce the max Ball Speed?

Why do off center strikes feel worse and produce less ball speed?

How does moving weight around in a club head make the SS larger?

Where does the weight need to be moved to make the SS larger?

Is the area that produces max ball speed actually made larger, Or is it just a larger area that produces “near” max ball speeds and there is still a small area that produces Max ball speed?

How does moving the weight around in a club head change the feel of a center strike?

Why do they need to manipulate “feel” in club heads? If the sweet spot is larger, shouldn’t the club feel better on its own?

Hopefully some of you fine fellas have some answers, if not thanks anyways for stopping by.  Also Thanks to anyone who does have some answers, I appreciate any info you have on the subject :)

Attached Thumbnails

• BB536EF8-817E-4274-A8B6-D25D1855397B.jpeg

Edited by Pigems, 12 October 2017 - 05:22 PM.

Callaway BBA 815 10.5*- TiNi 60x
Callaway BBA 815 16*- TiNi 70s
Titleist 710 AP2 4i - Pw, S300                    
Titleist SM5  52*, 56*, 60*
SC Studio Select NP2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 DaveMac

DaveMac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27975
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 510

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

This kind of feels like a test!

It is centre of gravity of the club, the point where no energy is wasted due to angular deflection.

Maximum energy transfer, no twisting, optimum resonance vibration.

Why does that spot produce the max Ball Speed? As above

The club face is deflecting, so there is a reduction in energy transfer efficiency. The deflection produces unwanted vibration.

This helps the head resist the deflection (a little) when missing the sweet spot.

round the perimeter of the head.

Is the area that produces max ball speed actually made larger, Or is it just a larger area that produces “near” max ball speeds and there is still a small area that produces Max ball speed?

The sweet spot is still the same size, the penalty for missing it is reduced. Manufacturers use thin variable thickness faces and cup face designs to help maintain ballspeed over a larger area.

How does moving the weight around in a club head change the feel of a center strike?

Mass behind impact is reduced.

Why do they need to manipulate “feel” in club heads?

A lot of the technology used above produces unpleasant impact vibration frequencies which have to be dampened to make impact feel somewhat satisfying to the player.

If the sweet spot is larger, shouldn’t the club feel better on its own?

As above the use of thin faces, stronger hotter faces produce harsher resonance frequencies which need to be managed.

#3 Pigems

Pigems

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246559
  • Handicap:7.8
  • Ebay ID:Piggems
GolfWRX Likes : 15662

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

DaveMac, on 12 October 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

This kind of feels like a test!

It is centre of gravity of the club, the point where no energy is wasted due to angular deflection.

Maximum energy transfer, no twisting, optimum resonance vibration.

Why does that spot produce the max Ball Speed? As above

The club face is deflecting, so there is a reduction in energy transfer efficiency. The deflection produces unwanted vibration.

This helps the head resist the deflection (a little) when missing the sweet spot.

round the perimeter of the head.

The sweet spot is still the same size, the penalty for missing it is reduced. Manufacturers use thin variable thickness faces and cup face designs to help maintain ballspeed over a larger area.

Mass behind impact is reduced.

Why do they need to manipulate “feel” in club heads?

A lot of the technology used above produces unpleasant impact vibration frequencies which have to be dampened to make impact feel somewhat satisfying to the player.

If the sweet spot is larger, shouldn’t the club feel better on its own?

As above the use of thin faces, stronger hotter faces produce harsher resonance frequencies which need to be managed.

Thank you very much for the info Sir!! I didn’t expect to get so many answers right off the bat like that. :)
Callaway BBA 815 10.5*- TiNi 60x
Callaway BBA 815 16*- TiNi 70s
Titleist 710 AP2 4i - Pw, S300                    
Titleist SM5  52*, 56*, 60*
SC Studio Select NP2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors