Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Does this happen to you? A perfect tee shot then chunk the approach/second shot.


41 replies to this topic

#1 jj16888

jj16888

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 270858
  • Joined: 08/15/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

Hi all,

  This situation happens to me a lot.  Had a good tee shot and only 150+/- yards to the tee then chunk the second/approach shot.  Is it a swing mechanism or mental problem?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 cardoustie

cardoustie

    Canada Cup 1973

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4808

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

turn your torso thru the shot

And if I had $10 for "nice drive nice 5" .. I'd be retired in Hawaii sipping single malts and eating pokie
TaylorMade '16 M2 11* GD AD DI 6x
Callaway 3w GBB 14* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Callaway 5w Deep 18.5* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
Callaway Apex 4h & 5h Kuro Kage 80s
PIng s55 6 - PW Nippon Tour 1150GH x
Vokey SM2 50* & 54*M TVD s400
Vokey SM5 58*M & 62*T s400
Scotty Cameron X7M

2

#3 Rusty1885

Rusty1885

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311515
  • Joined: 04/27/2014
  • Location:SoCal
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

Unless you always chunk your irons shot at the range then it’s mental. Most likely you think too much over the shots and none is about the target.
Take Dead Aim

3

#4 rcb1586

rcb1586

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381454
  • Joined: 06/19/2015
  • Location:Columbus, Ohio
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'm guilty of this on occasion.
Put too much pressure on myself to not mess it up and that leads to all kinds of issues.
I tend to play best when I'm focused but relaxed at the same time.
TM M1 430, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
TM RBZ stage 2 3HL, stock Matrix RocketFuel stiff
TM RBZ stage 2 21.5* hybrid, Proforce Axivcore tour black X
Mizuno MP15 4-PW, XP115 S300
Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 58.12, stock wedge shaft
Bettinardi C-03 34"

4

#5 jj16888

jj16888

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 270858
  • Joined: 08/15/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

View PostRusty1885, on 12 October 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Unless you always chunk your irons shot at the range then it’s mental. Most likely you think too much over the shots and none is about the target.

I think my iron shot at range is fine. Of course, not as pure as I hope for but they are ok.

You maybe right.  I may put too much of focus on direction and distance control and complete forgot my target.
Also, my lower body rotation like "cardoustie" points out.


5

#6 Smash Factors

Smash Factors

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185194
  • Joined: 06/09/2012
  • Handicap:5.9
GolfWRX Likes : 650

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

Yes, it's happened to me many, many times. Almost always though it's when I don't really spend any time warming up before the round.
Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

6

#7 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

That's something I struggle with at the moment.  I don't put it down to swing as much as range mats.

My turf interaction is still iffy and good tee shots are often followed up by slightly - or very - fat approach shots, especially for the first few holes.  What cardoustie says - turning torso through the shot - is a thought that generally works for me.

7

#8 lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414072
  • Joined: 03/01/2016
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Handicap:8.2
  • Ebay ID:eeejayeight
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Depends on your normal iron shots but it could be mental.  Sometimes, after hammering a drive and just having a short iron or wedge into the green, people tend to swing softer and decelerate through the next shot.

8

#9 hybrid25

hybrid25

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
  • Joined: 08/01/2016
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:07 PM

That's funny, it's never happened to me and I'm a 15 handicap?

9

#10 Nessism

Nessism

    To measure is to know...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 6770

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

Play long enough and you will F*ck up a hole in every conceivable way.  That's why I keep an emergency beer in the bag.  For just such an occasion.

Case in point...couple weeks back I hit the most lovely little cut hybrid tee shot I've ever hit.  My natural shot is a draw so any time a fade comes off as my brain envisions it's a momentous occasion.  This is one of those short little holes with all kinds of trouble around but now I've got 80 yards into the green.  Nice smooth 60* shot right?  NO!  I skulled the damn thing and wound up in a waste bunker behind the green.  Took a stinkin double when I should have birdied.

Edited by Nessism, 13 October 2017 - 12:06 PM.

Ping G30 driver w/Adila Rogue Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 wood & E8 hybrids
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 hybrid25

hybrid25

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
  • Joined: 08/01/2016
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:11 PM

View PostNessism, on 12 October 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Play long enough and you will F*ck up a hole in every conceivable way.  That's why I keep an emergency beer in the bag.  For just such an occasion.

Case in point...couple weeks back I hit the most lovely little cut hybrid tee shot I've ever hit.  My natural shot is a draw so any time a fade comes off as my brain envisions it's a momentous occasion.  This is one of those short little holes with all kinds of trouble around but now I've got 80 yards into the green.  Nice smooth 60* shot right?  NO!  I skulled the damn shot and wound up in a waste bunker behind the green with NO SHOT.  Took a stinkin double when I should have birdied.  

Don't forget: golf is a four letter word.
seriously, this post is good. Also what is good is a weight transfer from back foot to front foot through the swing. If you leave too much weight on the back foot then you can easily chili dip the golf ball, or hit it fat whatever you call it. I know one thing along with that weight transfer is to relax your grip a bit  and with confidence just go after that ball and don't worry about it.

Edited by hybrid25, 12 October 2017 - 04:12 PM.


11

#12 Rusty1885

Rusty1885

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311515
  • Joined: 04/27/2014
  • Location:SoCal
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:13 PM

View Postjj16888, on 12 October 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

View PostRusty1885, on 12 October 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Unless you always chunk your irons shot at the range then it’s mental. Most likely you think too much over the shots and none is about the target.

I think my iron shot at range is fine. Of course, not as pure as I hope for but they are ok.

You maybe right.  I may put too much of focus on direction and distance control and complete forgot my target.
Also, my lower body rotation like "cardoustie" points out.

If that’s he case try not to think of anything before you hit and let your swing happens. Best way to do it is to keep your mind focus on the small target you pick out. Last 2 seconds you look at the target-look at the ball-take the swing.

It takes practice but it works.  No swing thoughts, just targets. Autopilot swing. I used to be so inconsistent with my impact quality because I was trying too hard and fill my thoughts with swing mechanics before the actual swing, I had no chance.

Think fly by wires, golf swing is so complex you can’t possibly control everything manually with the conscious mind but your unconscious brain can do it even with your eyes close. That’s in the nutshell is what Bob Rotella was saying. Get out of your way and play great golf.
Take Dead Aim

12

#13 jj16888

jj16888

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 270858
  • Joined: 08/15/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

I am really surprised that this happens not just me only. The reason behind my question is to see what can I, or anyone with the same issue, do to mitigate this terrible behavior.  In some cases, it may cause the soft/easy swing to get to green and unrealized the decel at the impact; or too much of swing thoughts on trying to attack the green perfectly or something else that I did not know now.  I would hope to solicitate ideas from you all so I, and others with the same issue, can benefit from it, which makes all play better golf and be happier.

Thank you for all your feedbacks ans suggestions.  



13

#14 Jackal

Jackal

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275745
  • Joined: 09/12/2013
  • Location:ark
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

Turn the torso is something  I forget too.
Another  thought is "Don't  look up from the ball until it's  gone".
This is as bad as driving the green on a short par 4. Then  3 putting for a par.
Or worse, getting a bogey.

14

#15 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 267

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:57 PM

View Postjj16888, on 12 October 2017 - 05:28 PM, said:

I am really surprised that this happens not just me only. The reason behind my question is to see what can I, or anyone with the same issue, do to mitigate this terrible behavior.  In some cases, it may cause the soft/easy swing to get to green and unrealized the decel at the impact; or too much of swing thoughts on trying to attack the green perfectly or something else that I did not know now.  I would hope to solicitate ideas from you all so I, and others with the same issue, can benefit from it, which makes all play better golf and be happier.

Thank you for all your feedbacks ans suggestions.  

First hole, great drive and top the second shot. I guess it takes a few holes to warm up?  I know this scenario will come up again. So, I just focus on making solid contact. I am probably steering the ball. But, atleast it's a playable ball with no real damage.

Edited by Tanner25, 12 October 2017 - 07:58 PM.


15

#16 Harleyweedwhacks

Harleyweedwhacks

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 457758
  • Joined: 03/07/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

This never happens to me. I'm a pure ball striker, if anything I'll miss left and right, never short or long.

Swing harder with your irons. If anything you'll hit it thin, not fat. At least you're getting it there. Swing around 90% with all clubs, even wedges on full swings, and you should make better contact. The reason you're hitting the shot fat is mental, you're afraid to hit it too far. Commit to the shot, don't decelerate. Go after it at 90%, not only should you increase distance on a solid hit you should be making solid contact consistently.

And don't worry about mechanics. Thinking mechanics while you play is steering, which is probably another reason you hit behind it. When you swing without thought, and when you swing hard, you bypass the mechanics and all the nonsense that clutters your mind, and you hit good shots. Think mechanics on the range, not the course.

If you find yourself hitting the ball over the green with all this, good! You officially have more length. Now take less club and factor in your extra distance into your strategy. You will also find your shots bite more on the green when they hit because you're generating more backspin.

Try it for a month.

16

#17 MrWolf

MrWolf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Joined: 10/31/2007
  • Location:O-Town, ON
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 5964

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Happened to me on the 18th at The Belfry with a crowd watching. Perfect drive then chunked two in the water on successive shots. It was humiliating.
///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

17

#18 Grayback1973

Grayback1973

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322609
  • Joined: 06/23/2014
  • Location:Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 430

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Not me,it's usually a perfect drive followed by a shank straight out of bounds or in some nasty trouble.
D-Nike Vapor Fly
3w-Nike Vapor Speed
Adams Idea 17deg
4-pw Mizuno mp59
Cleveland cg16 sw-56
Acuity mallet

18

#19 jj16888

jj16888

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 270858
  • Joined: 08/15/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

View PostHarleyweedwhacks, on 12 October 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

This never happens to me. I'm a pure ball striker, if anything I'll miss left and right, never short or long.

Swing harder with your irons. If anything you'll hit it thin, not fat. At least you're getting it there. Swing around 90% with all clubs, even wedges on full swings, and you should make better contact. The reason you're hitting the shot fat is mental, you're afraid to hit it too far. Commit to the shot, don't decelerate. Go after it at 90%, not only should you increase distance on a solid hit you should be making solid contact consistently.

And don't worry about mechanics. Thinking mechanics while you play is steering, which is probably another reason you hit behind it. When you swing without thought, and when you swing hard, you bypass the mechanics and all the nonsense that clutters your mind, and you hit good shots. Think mechanics on the range, not the course.

If you find yourself hitting the ball over the green with all this, good! You officially have more length. Now take less club and factor in your extra distance into your strategy. You will also find your shots bite more on the green when they hit because you're generating more backspin.

Try it for a month.

Thank you so much.  I will try your suggestion in my next round of golf and keep that thought in my mind.

19

#20 Apollo 13

Apollo 13

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396192
  • Joined: 09/16/2015
  • Location:Stellenbosch, South Africa
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:49 PM

Too often... I'm pro at getting bogey from middle of the fairway with 150 left.

Titleist 983k 9.5*
Callaway XR16 16*
Adams DHY 21*
Dunlop RG Design 4-PW
Vokey 50, 54, 58
Ping Scottsdale Shea

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 1913

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

No, never.
Callaway Epic 10.5 Stock
Cobra Baffler 4-5 Stock
Callway xhot 3 h stock
Miura Small Blades, Modus 105R 3-W
Titleist T-MB, Modus 105S, 3-W
Fourteen mt28v3 52,58
DelaCruz B2 Sweet Slot Putter

21

#22 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is tough. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

View Postjj16888, on 12 October 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

View PostRusty1885, on 12 October 2017 - 03:18 PM, said:

Unless you always chunk your irons shot at the range then it’s mental. Most likely you think too much over the shots and none is about the target.

I think my iron shot at range is fine. Of course, not as pure as I hope for but they are ok.

You maybe right.  I may put too much of focus on direction and distance control and complete forgot my target.
Also, my lower body rotation like "cardoustie" points out.
The range is designed to allow you to make swings on a consistent surface, the course is designed to challenge you.


View Posthybrid25, on 12 October 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

That's funny, it's never happened to me and I'm a 15 handicap?
This is pretty amazing. I can only imagine that you are a 200 yard driver and stay on every fairway.

View PostApollo 13, on 12 October 2017 - 08:49 PM, said:

Too often... I'm pro at getting bogey from middle of the fairway with 150 left.
Same here, grab a 9i and get a bit overconfident usually ends in a chunk, hosel rocket or thinning it over the green. . .


View Postcardoustie, on 12 October 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

turn your torso thru the shot

And if I had $10 for "nice drive nice 5" .. I'd be retired in Hawaii sipping single malts and eating pokie

Yeah, it would be nice not to chunk any shots.

22

#23 cardoustie

cardoustie

    Canada Cup 1973

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 4808

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

View Posthybrid25, on 12 October 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

That's funny, it's never happened to me and I'm a 15 handicap?

get out of here.  I've played in a Nationwide event and watched a pro +6 player do it
TaylorMade '16 M2 11* GD AD DI 6x
Callaway 3w GBB 14* Oban Kiyoshi Gold
Callaway 5w Deep 18.5* Oban Kiyoshi Purple
Callaway Apex 4h & 5h Kuro Kage 80s
PIng s55 6 - PW Nippon Tour 1150GH x
Vokey SM2 50* & 54*M TVD s400
Vokey SM5 58*M & 62*T s400
Scotty Cameron X7M

23

#24 jslane57

jslane57

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,436 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Joined: 05/27/2016
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1973

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

Golf is such a mind game isn't it? Yes, I do remember when I was improving and improving and I'd hit a great drive and just wish I could hit another good shot. Then nope. LOL. Hitting two or three or four or more good shots in a row is not about putting pressure on yourself to follow up a great shot with another, it is about forgetting the past shot and simply hitting a shot you know you can hit right now. Good luck, I see your scores going lower sooner than later!
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

24

#25 slcgolfer

slcgolfer

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 411754
  • Joined: 02/10/2016
  • Location:Salt Lake City
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:32 AM

Sure. My friends and I joke about writing a book on golf. I believe this falls in chapter 5: "how to f#$% up a good drive".


25

#26 hybrid25

hybrid25

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 434860
  • Joined: 08/01/2016
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:35 AM


Lincoln_Arcadia
hybrid25, on 12 October 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:
That's funny, it's never happened to me and I'm a 15 handicap?
This is pretty amazing. I can only imagine that you are a 200 yard driver and stay on every fairway.


I guess my sarcasm wasn't called for. Actually the other day I was playing in a tournament and I had a fantastic drive uphill 250 yards to the center of the Fairway. I then proceeded to chunk a 9-iron into a greenside bunker. It landed in a deep footprint in the bunker which I then bladed over the green into a hazard. By the time it was all said and done I carded an 8 on this particular par 4. This was probably the best drive the entire foursome had all day long, which ended up being one of the worst scores for the entire group all day long.

26

#27 dg_1983

dg_1983

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67526
  • Joined: 10/13/2008
  • Location:Fife, Scotland
  • Handicap:1.3
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

How often do you practise hitting greens from 150 in?

Technique will be causing your problems.

Learn to be able to hit 8/9/PW/SW well enough that a bad shot is just a fringe ball.

Edited by dg_1983, 13 October 2017 - 10:42 AM.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
Current 1.3

27

#28 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    Golf is tough. . .

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

View Posthybrid25, on 13 October 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Lincoln_Arcadia
hybrid25, on 12 October 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:
That's funny, it's never happened to me and I'm a 15 handicap?
This is pretty amazing. I can only imagine that you are a 200 yard driver and stay on every fairway.


I guess my sarcasm wasn't called for. Actually the other day I was playing in a tournament and I had a fantastic drive uphill 250 yards to the center of the Fairway. I then proceeded to chunk a 9-iron into a greenside bunker. It landed in a deep footprint in the bunker which I then bladed over the green into a hazard. By the time it was all said and done I carded an 8 on this particular par 4. This was probably the best drive the entire foursome had all day long, which ended up being one of the worst scores for the entire group all day long.

I was kind of wondering if you were being sarcastic or not, but the "only 15 handicap" part threw me off. Cheers!

28

#29 dg_1983

dg_1983

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67526
  • Joined: 10/13/2008
  • Location:Fife, Scotland
  • Handicap:1.3
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

I would echo the deceleration point. Most folks don't know how to hit a crisp 90 yards or a crisp 105 or a crisp 75, there in lies the problem of beating driver at the range all session.

I've dropped from a 4 to a 1 recently and I'd say I'm driving the ball worse than ever - 140 inwards I'm the best I've ever been.
2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
Current 1.3

29

#30 jj16888

jj16888

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 270858
  • Joined: 08/15/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

View Postdg_1983, on 13 October 2017 - 10:41 AM, said:

How often do you practise hitting greens from 150 in?

Technique will be causing your problems.

Learn to be able to hit 8/9/PW/SW well enough that a bad shot is just a fringe ball.

I did practice my 8,9 and P a lot at range.   Somehow,  I still chunk it when i played on course.   In some cases, I was able to find out why I chunk the ball after the swing.  Most of time, I did not have any pre-shot routine then just stand up to the ball and eager to hit the ball to the green..  My body and mind are in a hyper stage, from previous good tee shot, and so eager to continue the next good shot, which someone mentioned that I should forget the previous shot and focus on the next shot.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors