Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How do you move on from the previous hole?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Circaflex

Circaflex

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360919
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

This is something I have struggled with a lot recently. Whether it is an outside force, or just bad play from myself, I find two holes later I am still irritated by something someone did or I did. Bad shots, I have done much better lately since I have implemented the "Mental Scorecard," but I do struggle with something a third party has done.

For instance, yesterday I was playing with my friend at a course I have only played once, however they have Marshalls everywhere to help you out. We get up to a par 5, Marshall is waiting there for us. He asks if we have ever played this course, tell him no (I did two years ago, but dont remember much of it), so he gives us a good line and says we are good to go. My buddy blocks one right, i tell him to hit another one (it was his birthday and we were advised to play some extra shots by the starter in order to make sure we had fun), which he does and snap hooks it into OB brush. No big deal, I get up and hit probably the best drive I have hit in the last month, right over the line he gave us. The Marshall was really cool and told me great shot and make sure to have fun. We get to my buddies first ball, he has 250 to carry a hazard, decides to lay up. The other group was just getting to the green, but it isnt like he could reach at all. He chunks his approach about 75 yards. We get up to where the ball went, he is still well away from the hole, it is still over 220 yards. The group is just walking off the green as he hits, he hits a nice hook that barely carries the hazard and goes left into the woods. The group yelled, next time wait a minute. I was so confused but didnt really think much of it. We go looking for his ball, find it and it came no where near their carts. Literally, his ball was 75 to 90 yards away from the cart path or any area that they would need to be. We finish the hole and as we drive up, this guy all hot headed comes up to our cart looking like he wants to fight us. He says, you know guys, you have hit balls over our carts for the last 4 holes now, it has to stop. I immediately got defensive, because I hate when people do that to me/my group, but I let him release some steam. In my mind, I think that drive I just hit might have gone over them, granted the Marhsall said we were good, it still could have been that one shot. I tried to explain that to him, all while saying I am sorry if I did that. He didnt want to hear it and kept going back to, the previous holes. I look at the card and could play every shot in my mind, for myself and my partner and remind the hot head that two holes ago was a par 3, so I doubt we hit up or over them. The only other hole I could think was a 325 par 4, I hit a great drive that went 265/270 and had about a 50ish yard chip to the hole. When I hit that drive, they were on the green putting, but I did notice as we roll up one guy is just pointing to my ball. I didnt think much of it at that time. In the end, we slowed way down just not to piss any of them off, but I think it was a case of playing a crummy round and wanted to just be upset at something.

Now my question is, how the heck do I just forget that happened and carry on with my round? My friend was pretty rattled and I was just more irritated that someone was accusing us of purposely doing something, we never have the intent of doing. It did rattle me for a few holes following our encounter.

This could be anything, from your playing partner doing something that would bother you, to a guy from a hole over doing something, how do you move on and just forget about these instances?

Current Bag:
TM M2 10.5 w/ ACCRA FX-270
//Testing M2 17 3W //TM Burner 07 3W
TM Tour Preferred 2 UDI
Ping i200 4-UW w/ Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 54SS / 60TS
Betti BB40
Sunfish Knit
Arccos360

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BigBad

BigBad

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32406
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

From Nick O'Hern's book: Ask yourself  "What do I need to do right now?!"

#3 adogg18

adogg18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428462
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

I'd recommend reading "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect".  It talks a lot about forgetting things that have happened earlier in the round.  The ONLY shot that matters is the one you are about to hit.

I'm not sure if the book will tell you how to forget almost getting in a fight on the golf course.  haha But it will help you to forget bad shots and remember the good ones.

Strong emotions are strongly linked to memory.  So try to make your good shots a reason to get a little excited.  You don't have to take your shirt off and spin it around your head while yelling.  But at least say to yourself, "That was a nice swing".  Your bad shots need to be forgotten quickly without expressing emotion.  If you get angry over a bad shot, the chances of you remembering that shot later in the round are much more likely.

#4 Circaflex

Circaflex

Advanced

• 431 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360919
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 199

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostBigBad, on 12 October 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

From Nick O'Hern's book: Ask yourself  "What do I need to do right now?!"

View Postadogg18, on 12 October 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

I'd recommend reading "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect".  It talks a lot about forgetting things that have happened earlier in the round.  The ONLY shot that matters is the one you are about to hit.

I'm not sure if the book will tell you how to forget almost getting in a fight on the golf course.  haha But it will help you to forget bad shots and remember the good ones.

Strong emotions are strongly linked to memory.  So try to make your good shots a reason to get a little excited.  You don't have to take your shirt off and spin it around your head while yelling.  But at least say to yourself, "That was a nice swing".  Your bad shots need to be forgotten quickly without expressing emotion.  If you get angry over a bad shot, the chances of you remembering that shot later in the round are much more likely.

Thank you both, I am going to give them a read.
Current Bag:
TM M2 10.5 w/ ACCRA FX-270
//Testing M2 17 3W //TM Burner 07 3W
TM Tour Preferred 2 UDI
Ping i200 4-UW w/ Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 54SS / 60TS
Betti BB40
Sunfish Knit
Arccos360

#5 andrue

andrue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

That's one problem I have never had. Each hole is a new opportunity. In fact I'm rarely affected by bad shots either. I know I'm only an okay golfer so I accept that bad things will happen. The only time I occasionally lose the plot is after a series of bad shots where it seems like my swing has deserted me. I have been known to pretty much give up on the hole and just go through the motions until it's done. But once I get to the next hole it's game on again.

Fights or heated arguments are harder to get over but thankfully very rare. I did annoy a couple of golfers earlier this year but I put it behind me after a couple of holes. Stuff happens on golf courses and some people are just not mature enough to let it go. Avoid getting drawn into it and try and forget about them but do think about what you might do differently next time.

Edited by andrue, 12 October 2017 - 03:36 PM.

Callaway XR Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Cleveland 60* LW
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

#6 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1084

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

Tirades about how stupid I played the hole with many expletives and it fires me up for the next hole. I accept bogeys though, unless it's a 3 putt.
Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

#7 lookylookitzadam

lookylookitzadam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 414072
  • Handicap:6.9
  • Ebay ID:eeejayeight
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

Start small and try to compartmentalize them round.  Once you are able to break the game down into smaller and smaller segments, it really helps with your mental game.  Break the round into the following segments:
  • Front 9 and Back 9
  • Individual Holes
  • Individual Shots
For instance, if you are having a crappy front nine, remember that you have another 9 where you can turn it around.  Once you are able to get that under control, start to break the game into holes; have a bad hole, its okay, you have another one coming up, reset and play well.  Once you can start separating holes, start to do the same with shots.  Soon you will be able to look at each shot as a new challenge, totally independent of what happened before.

#8 Rusty1885

Rusty1885

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311515
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

You should only remember good shots and good holes. Something that you can attach strong feeling to the memory.  Like a ripped 5 wood that goes 225, or a 75 screaming knockdown shot with a Sw that land hop and stop.

Forget the bad shots as soon as you hit it, you don’t need to know or find out the root cause during the round. It’s not easy but it’s very doable. Ben Hogan hit 9 drives out of 10 perfectly and hook one out of bound, guess what shot he remembered.
Take Dead Aim

#9 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 654

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostCircaflex, on 12 October 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

This is something I have struggled with a lot recently. Whether it is an outside force, or just bad play from myself, I find two holes later I am still irritated by something someone did or I did. Bad shots, I have done much better lately since I have implemented the "Mental Scorecard," but I do struggle with something a third party has done.

For instance, yesterday I was playing with my friend at a course I have only played once, however they have Marshalls everywhere to help you out. We get up to a par 5, Marshall is waiting there for us. He asks if we have ever played this course, tell him no (I did two years ago, but dont remember much of it), so he gives us a good line and says we are good to go. My buddy blocks one right, i tell him to hit another one (it was his birthday and we were advised to play some extra shots by the starter in order to make sure we had fun), which he does and snap hooks it into OB brush. No big deal, I get up and hit probably the best drive I have hit in the last month, right over the line he gave us. The Marshall was really cool and told me great shot and make sure to have fun. We get to my buddies first ball, he has 250 to carry a hazard, decides to lay up. The other group was just getting to the green, but it isnt like he could reach at all. He chunks his approach about 75 yards. We get up to where the ball went, he is still well away from the hole, it is still over 220 yards. The group is just walking off the green as he hits, he hits a nice hook that barely carries the hazard and goes left into the woods. The group yelled, next time wait a minute. I was so confused but didnt really think much of it. We go looking for his ball, find it and it came no where near their carts. Literally, his ball was 75 to 90 yards away from the cart path or any area that they would need to be. We finish the hole and as we drive up, this guy all hot headed comes up to our cart looking like he wants to fight us. He says, you know guys, you have hit balls over our carts for the last 4 holes now, it has to stop. I immediately got defensive, because I hate when people do that to me/my group, but I let him release some steam. In my mind, I think that drive I just hit might have gone over them, granted the Marhsall said we were good, it still could have been that one shot. I tried to explain that to him, all while saying I am sorry if I did that. He didnt want to hear it and kept going back to, the previous holes. I look at the card and could play every shot in my mind, for myself and my partner and remind the hot head that two holes ago was a par 3, so I doubt we hit up or over them. The only other hole I could think was a 325 par 4, I hit a great drive that went 265/270 and had about a 50ish yard chip to the hole. When I hit that drive, they were on the green putting, but I did notice as we roll up one guy is just pointing to my ball. I didnt think much of it at that time. In the end, we slowed way down just not to piss any of them off, but I think it was a case of playing a crummy round and wanted to just be upset at something.

Now my question is, how the heck do I just forget that happened and carry on with my round? My friend was pretty rattled and I was just more irritated that someone was accusing us of purposely doing something, we never have the intent of doing. It did rattle me for a few holes following our encounter.

This could be anything, from your playing partner doing something that would bother you, to a guy from a hole over doing something, how do you move on and just forget about these instances?

Open bag. Remove flask. Pass it around. Pound next tee shot.

#10 David C

David C

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66728
GolfWRX Likes : 233

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

There's an interesting bit in the Hogan documentary where Jimmy Demaret says and Ben Hogan agrees that he was too introverted and it affected his nerves not letting it out. I say do what comes normally without being an idiot. You

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 pearsonified

pearsonified

Extreme enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 726

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

Cuss a few times and move on.

If you're playing in a 1-day tournament and make a triple or worse, you're probably f*cked. It's ok to be mad—you made a costly mistake. However, you damn sure have no shot at finishing in the top 3 if you let that triple affect your game on other holes.

After making a huge mistake during a round of golf, you are forced to make a decision based on guts and willpower:

Will you fold like a cheap suit and let it ruin your day, or will you fight back heroically and try to make the best of a less-than-optimal situation?

I choose to fight because I don't want to go out like a chump.

Edited by pearsonified, 13 October 2017 - 12:01 PM.

TM 2017 M2 10.5º •• Project X LZ17 6.5 (tipped 0.5")
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X
Callaway Apex 20º •• Matrix Ozik Altus X
Adams MB2 4-G (22º-50.5º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
TM TP 54º/11º •• DG S400
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60º •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Black (35")

Current anti-handicap: 4.0
2017 Tournament Index: 2.66

#12 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 1292

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Its only a game.

Steve

#13 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3667

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:45 PM

Also, why wait for the next hole to "move on"?  Move on with the next shot.

#14 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:55 PM

I move onto the next hole from my previous hole generally by putting my putter in the bag and taking out the right club for the next tee shot. Sometimes, when I don't use my putter, I've got a huge smile across my face. Admittedly, sometimes a golf cart is involved.

Golf is a tough game, if you anguish over bad shots, you'll carry a grim face around all day. That's no fun. Be happy.

#15 Sean2

Sean2

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 26,492 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 13277

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

I understand what you are saying, and I felt the same way. Now I just move on. It's golf.  Last week I started double/double and ended up shooting a 75 (par 70). Prior to that, I would have been quite upset and probably would have ended up with an 85.

Callaway GBB Epic 11º / Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 40 R
Callaway GBB Epic 16º / 20º / 24º Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana M+ 50

Callaway Steelhead XR / 25º / Matrix Ozik Program F15 65S
Callaway CF16 / 6--AW / UST Recoil ES 460 F4
Callaway Forged and MD-PM 54º / 58º UST Recoil ES 460 F4

Callaway Odyssey O Works Tank #7

#16 shortstop20

shortstop20

Hit 'em straight!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76885
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

The guy in front of you was an idiot and an a******. Don't let him bother you, there's millions of them out there.

Edited by shortstop20, 13 October 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#17 GeoffDickson

GeoffDickson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142865
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:11 AM

How do I move on from the previous hole?

With my tail between my legs.

#18 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2092

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:18 AM

Stay in the moment.

Don't say to yourself, "I should've made that putt." You didn't. So what? Make the next tee shot awesome.
Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

#19 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

View PostGeoffDickson, on 15 October 2017 - 12:11 AM, said:

How do I move on from the previous hole?

With my tail between my legs.

Haven't tried this one yet, but it's a great idea! Just walk from hole to hole saying "Sorry, I hit your cart, or almost hit your cart. I'm a beginner and my friend is a 25 handicap, and neither of us know how to hit straight. So, we ended up near your carts." That could get them off your back, too.

#20 adogg18

adogg18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

View PostJasonic, on 15 October 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

Stay in the moment.

Don't say to yourself, "I should've made that putt." You didn't. So what? Make the next tee shot awesome.

That's right. Learn how to immediately accept your shot as soon as it happens.

I read an article from Bob Rotella that talked about how Padraig Harrington would incorporate self talk in his preshot routine. Right before he hit his shot, he would say to himself, "I will accept the outcome of this shot". I'll see if I can find that article.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 adogg18

adogg18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

Here it is: https://www.golfdige...m/story/rotella

#22 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 2070

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

It is a tall ask to forget the bad shots, remember the good shots, and not let other people and situations bother you. A PSR that lets you remember who you are is helpful. And if you are affected, it's OK, you're a human. Shake it off as soon as you can, or you will just be adding your own garbage to the pile of things annoying you...
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors