Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Xir's WITB - Titleist, PING and a general mess

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xir

Xir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132788
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:24 PM

It's been awhile since I had one of these. My previous WITB is lost to time somewhere, not even the search function can find it. That's a pity, I'd have loved to see my G5 irons and my G10 12* Aldila NVS R flex driver again!

Let's see the modern bag:

IMG_0684.jpg

That's right. Still rocking the 910 line. The driver is a 910D2 9* set to A1. I have the Diamana Kai'li in S flex in it. I cut the driver down about 1.25". I'm a pretty short dude at 5'4" so cutting things down is gonna be a theme you see regularly through the bag. Before I cut it down I couldn't find the face of the driver on any swing. Post cutdown, I certainly have an easier time! That said, the last time I got this thing on a launch monitor (three years ago, before new father syndrome and triathlons killed my golfing) I was over-spinning this driver horribly. If I could change any one club I'd love to get fit for a G400 LS or an M1. I'm leaving a bunch of yards out there and my misses are exacerbated by the additional spin.

Fairway wood is the 910F 15* set to A1. I have the same shaft in the fairway, the Kai'li in S. I cut the fairway down 0.5". I hit this club decently enough. Not worlds better than the i15 I had in this slot before it, but I was seduced by the lure of a matching set of headcovers. Learned my lesson on that, I think. To be honest I miss the i15 but I didn't hit it better by enough to go get another one and then bother with selling or storing this one.

Hybrid is a Taylormade RBZ 19* S flex cut down 1". I forget why it was cut 1" rather than 0.5". Maybe Taylormade made the shafts abnormally long and I wanted it to fit in with the irons. I don't remember anymore. I hit this sucker pretty solidly. I'd love to replace it with something else, but that's impossible to justify. When I bought it I was at the fitting station looking for a 910H to make a pretty row of headcovers in the bag and I hit this thing better every time. I was talking down about it while I was hitting it better too, just sad. This and the driver have the dubious distinction of being in the small group of clubs I have bought new.

Irons are the well loved Mizuno MP-32s. I have a 3-PW set but I only play 4-PW. These are uncut at their standard lengths and lie. I end up choking down on them around half an inch or so. They're shafted with the venerable S300s. I picked these up three years ago or so on the heels of who knows how many threads here on WRX and bagged 'em immediately. I was a little surprised to discover that for an 18 I didn't play measurably worse with them in the bag over my i20s. I also had a set of 680MBs but I did play worse with those. I had a hard time getting the ball into the air!

To demonstrate how good a condition the irons are in, here's the 3 iron (which admittedly I don't use):
IMG_0696.jpg IMG_0697.jpg

The wedges are a mess, to put it mildly. They're the mess I alluded to in the title. I play a 52/08 Vokey, a 56/10 Nike and a 60/10 Ping Tour-S. My short game is somewhat of a mess at various parts of the year, but I highly doubt my mismatching wedges are the issue. Mostly it's the lack of practice time. Of the three, I keep telling myself I like the Vokey the best, but I've holed out that Ping more than once. I was confused when I read on here that high handicappers don't have the skill to play a 60*, I play that wedge better than the other two by far. I love my pitching wedge and my 60. I like my other two but if the shot isn't immediately straightforward I think of those two wedges first before anything else.

Now the putter. Actually, first the headcover. It's not a real circle-T putter, nor a real circle-T headcover. My last name starts with T. That's why its on there. That and it's orange, which this red/green colorblind guy likes. No one has ever questioned me about it, but that may be because I mostly play with my Dad and father-in-law. The putter is a Studio Select Newport that I found at Edwin Watts and absolutely loved. I was coming from a Ping Craz-e that I hated and I was looking for an Anser style putter. I couldn't figure out why that one felt so much different from all the other putters. Later I discovered it's significantly flat! I cut it down to 32.5" and slapped a Winn Medalist on it. I putt pretty decently with it!

I actually have four putters, to my wife's chagrin:

Putters.jpg

The newest of the bunch is the Anser Milled 0. I really like the way that putter feels. So much so, that I'm considering selling the Redwood. I'd love to find and play a Tei3 Newport and the rumor of a Vault Dalehead is absolutely killing me! The other Ping putter is just an old Anser 2, nothing special. I'm not a big fan of the flattened bumpers of the Anser 2, I greatly prefer the original Anser shape and no alignment markers.

In reserves I keep an i15 17* hybrid. I mostly have it for long courses where it would replace the RBZ or the 3 wood if I was struggling with it.

This weekend should be my first round of golf in a couple of years, we'll see how long the bag holds this configuration!

Edited by Xir, 12 October 2017 - 10:37 PM.

Titleist 910D2 9.5* Kai'li S
Titleist 910F 15* Kai'li S
Taylormade RBZ hybrid 20* S
Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport - or - Ping Anser Milled 0

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 bullsfan

bullsfan

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 347511
GolfWRX Likes : 101

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

I like it! Play 910's myself still, nothing better that I can find. I also have Mizuno Irons, MP60's. Great taste.
Bag O Crap!

#3 morrisminor

morrisminor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275941
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

Nice bag and write up! BeCu anser 2s are pretty special and that one looks to have a nice patina - so much so that I thought it was an anser 3 from the pics.

Just buy a 910 hybrid cover - there is nothing like removing an OEM headcover and revealing a different manufacturers club to make you feel like a pro!

#4 Xir

Xir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

View Postmorrisminor, on 13 October 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

Nice bag and write up! BeCu anser 2s are pretty special and that one looks to have a nice patina - so much so that I thought it was an anser 3 from the pics.

Just buy a 910 hybrid cover - there is nothing like removing an OEM headcover and revealing a different manufacturers club to make you feel like a pro!

I'm probably being a bit harsh on the Anser 2. I just vastly prefer the older Anser style headshape. That said, I found a SAM putting lab about an hour away, and I'm thinking that it's about time I got my stroke analyzed and find out for sure what putter I should be using. I'm hoping I just need to slightly adjust my Cameron and Anser 0. I think I'm going to put the Redwood up on the BST.

As for the hybrid, that's a great idea. Truth be told, I've daydreamed about replacing it with an Anser hybrid, or an i20 hybrid for that matter. The headcover would be far funnier though. Perhaps I should just get a custom headcover made, something that suitably shames me for playing such a ridiculously named club!
Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10

#5 dciccoritti

dciccoritti

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173476
GolfWRX Likes : 920

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

That's a really nice set up.

917 Driver | 718 MB Irons | SM6 Wedges | Futura 5CB Putter | ProV1x

#6 Xir

Xir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:16 PM

Thank you!

The in-laws are in town to visit and my father-in-law brought my i20s to me. We have a round tomorrow and the i20s are in the bag. We'll see if I hit them well enough for them to stay. No matter what, the MP-32s will remain in my possession, as they were my first Father's Day present and I'll sell a kidney before I let them go.

IMG_0712.jpg

Edited by Xir, 14 October 2017 - 05:23 PM.

Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10

#7 Xir

Xir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

So instead of a round today, with all the threatening rain and thunderstorms we decided to hit the driving range and push the round until Tuesday afternoon. This ended up being a smart decision, based on the downpour we suffered through on the way home!

First swing out of the gate was as good as I remember. I hit these and the MP-32s similarly, but the i20s launch much higher. I figure that's partially a shaft differential, but higher launch means greater landing angle and more held greens. Might be worth using 'em on our round.

I got a chance to use one of the best performance enhancing devices I've ever bought as well: impact tape. Nice to see where I'm hitting clubs, particularly the driver. I'm near the center of the face but not always on it, and I bias towards the heel (which I sorta figured). I tend to miss everything in towards the heel, as I tend to come from the inside aggressively, a bad habit I learned trying to take my slice out of play. My natural shot shape is a high fade and when I come so strongly from the inside and hit off the heel of the club the ball goes right, which makes me come from the inside more aggressively. Eventually I'll shank the ball. So my impact tape told me I need to go back to the drills my instructor gave me to help me keep the club path straighter.

I figure the impact tape has saved me the money I would have spent on a lower spinning driver as well. I won't buy a new driver until I consistently find the center of the face, then I'll get fit. Maybe by spring, if I practice regularly.
Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10

#8 williamsnrb

williamsnrb

The Golf Doctor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248361
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 745

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:35 PM

Nice write-up, man. Do you forward-press on your chip shots? That might be a reason you may like the 60 degree. A lot of mid/high handicappers 'scoop' their wedge shots making the 60 degree unpredictable. Anyway, nice bag. The newer drivers do offer considerably lower spin than the 910's, but they are still good clubs.

#9 Xir

Xir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

View Postwilliamsnrb, on 15 October 2017 - 11:35 PM, said:

Nice write-up, man. Do you forward-press on your chip shots? That might be a reason you may like the 60 degree. A lot of mid/high handicappers 'scoop' their wedge shots making the 60 degree unpredictable. Anyway, nice bag. The newer drivers do offer considerably lower spin than the 910's, but they are still good clubs.

You know, I probably do. If I scoop a wedge I get mad, drop a ball at the same spot and rehit. I'll take the result of the first shot, but I'm gonna ingrain the sensation of hitting down on the wedge.

I want a new driver, but I want to be sure I'm hitting the center of the face more regularly. I've thought about snagging a Ping Anser driver or a 2016 M1 off eBay to hold me over and still reduce some spin.
Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10

#10 shuddleston

shuddleston

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 857 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132450
GolfWRX Likes : 106

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

very nice - mp32's are a classic.

9.5* GBB Epic w/ RT Technologies Zeus 75g
16.5* Tour Issue TaylorMade M2 w/ RT Technologies Zeus 85g
20* Itobori Hybrid w/ RT Technologies Midas 98g
Itobori Black Copper Blades w/ AMT DG X100 4-PW
Itobori Custom Grind 51* & 56* w/ AMT DG X100
MannKrafted Yaupon
Vice Force Stand Bag
Vice Pro Plus

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Xir

Xir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

So I thought I'd post my golf journal. I decided a few days ago to start recording how my range sessions and rounds went. The handwriting is hideous because I was putting a premium on speed, I transcribe these notes into an electronic format so that I can read them at a later date. :)

The journal itself. It's got a neat little pen storage on the outside flap and it ties closed. It was a poetry journal for me ten years ago but I tore the old poems out and repurposed it. They weren't my best work anyway.

IMG_0723.jpg

Next up, notes from my latest driving range day:

IMG_0724.jpg

You can see here I've included the impact tape, which I numbered the strikes on and then recorded what those strikes did. For the 7 iron the shots were all fairly similar in result (thanks i20s). I was having center of face issues all day, as you can see. By the third shot I my impacts were moving in towards the center. I did much better during the other iron shots I took after I removed the impact tape.

The driver you can see five shots, all of which were tightly clustered around the heel. Combine this with the results: low fade, high slice, high slice, high long fade, high fade. As my instructor told me years ago, shots near the heel are going to want to turn right. My natural shot shape is a fade to begin with, so this isn't helping. I come from inside very aggressively and one of the drills I'm working on is taking the club straight back rather than breaking the wrists early and "curling" around my body too soon. Hopefully my journal shows some improvement in locating my strikes.

Now, notes from the nine holes I played yesterday:

IMG_0725.jpg

I remember reading someone's gear thread (I think it was mat562) and he had detailed rundowns of how he'd played his round. I remember thinking that I needed to know what I'd done so I could improve my play on a hole the next time. So I took notes after every shot. I tried to lase ranges effectively as well, but sometimes pace of play dictated that I scribble a few notes and move forward.

So my round yesterday at Abita Springs Country Club:

I played with my father-in-law, who's in his sixties, overweight and inflexible. This means we play from front tees, which is fine because my scores are better from there. At my handicap I'm mostly playing against my lack of skill rather than the course anyway.

Hole 1. 430yd Par 5. (It's 530 from the tips, the course is 6427 in total). The hole has a hump in the middle, beyond which there is a water hazard that will be out of view from the first 1/3 of the fairway that guards a green that is elevated, maybe 4yds up. I hit my tee shot right with a small fade. I'm guessing an alignment issue. Thanks to the shot having to climb the hill I had 215 left to the pin. I took that damned RBZ 3 hybrid, thought "ROCKETBALLZ!" and loosed a tall high fade, dead on line with the pin. Landed just over the water hazard on an uphill slope inside the no-cart zone on the front apron. 20yds to the front edge, 29 to the pin. I hit the sand wedge to 15' below the hole, pulled the putt 1.5' to the high side left of the hole and made par. A good start. Bad news is that I tweaked a groin muscle on the teebox somehow and that will end up affecting my play.

Hole 2. 255yd Par 4. Another water hazard guarding this hole (this will be a theme for this course). I hit a low fade with the driver that I thought was going to end up wet. It didn't, I just carried the water hazard. A couple of seconds of me calming myself down ensued as I realized with a properly struck, average tee shot from me I could have driven the green. Hit my 56 degree to pin high and 20'-25' right of the hole. Missed the putt by 3' long ending on the high side. Missed par by underestimating the break by about half a ball width. Bogey.

Hole 3. 118yd Par 3. Relatively safe hole, no water no bunkers. Just a little mown fairway right in front of the hole. Going long isn't an option though. Took PW and lined up too far right. Landed on green front right and 40' to hole. Missed the lag putt to 6' below the hole. At least I was below the hole! Missed the next putt to 1.5'. The greens are slowing down rapidly, and I'm not adjusting. Bogey.

Hole 4. 290yd Par 4. Also a safe hole. slight left turn to the hole about the midpoint, so my drive is gonna have to either draw or I'm gonna have to start it on line with the left tree line and let it fade out to the fairway. Yeah right, that's totally what happened. Tee shot was a high right slice. Provisional was a dead pull left. Both balls might have been OB. Since there was no one behind us anywhere in the previous three holes, I decided to go look for my balls. Found 'em both, neither were OB. Played the tee shot from the right rough. Had a 9 iron into the green, ended below and right with about 30' to go. Ran the putt 6' past (damnit) and sunk the par putt. It had considerable left to right break so I was pretty proud of that.

Hole 5. 415 yd Par 5. A creek passes through the first third of the hole but is out of play unless your my father-in-law and you hit your driver 170. Another water hazard guards the front and front right of the green, along with a pot bunker in the fairway near the 260yd landing zone. Great. No sweat though because my tee shot was a high right slice. I hit my provisional to the fairway with an easy stroke and went to look for the tee shot. It was gone. Played the provisional. 3W hit a branch on the tree that stood next to and over the bunker and ended 76 yds out in the right rough. By this point I'm beginning to notice the tweaked groin muscle more and more during the hip drive of my stroke. I'm starting to come out of sequence. Hit my 52 degree and discovered I had a flyer lie (should have checked!) and went over the green. The chip back released to the hole and I tapped in. Bogey.

Hole 6. 110yd Par 3. Water in the middle of the hole. Big green with lots of undulations. FIL inadvertently psyched me out about my club selection. I had the 52 degree in hand and went back to the cart to get the PW. Mistake. Flew the green easily. Chipped to the fringe with the 56. Chipped again to 1.5'. Bogey and mounting frustration, that should have been a par at worst!

Hole 7. 325yd Par 4. A creek along the neck of the hole that won't be in play unless I do something stupid. I didn't. Tee shot pulled left to the rough about 5 yds from the fairway. 101 yds left to the pin, which was in a front location. Proceeded to chunk my 52 degree and leave it 25 yds short. It's getting harder to clear my mind after each one of these, plus the pulled groin is making itself known on any power swing now. Pitched the 60 degree to 10' and suddenly wondered why I wasn't using it earlier. Ran the putt past the hole to 3' and then sunk the bogey. The putting needs to be dealt with, I'm gaining a stupid number of strokes because of it.

Hole 8. 220yd Par 4. This is one of the reasons I like playing from the short tees. I'm gonna eat this hole alive, pulled groin be damned. I don't have to kill the driver here! I hit driver choked down with something approximating a 85% swing. Pin high on the right just off the green by 5 yds or so. Pitched onto the green with the 60 degree to 15'. Missed the putt on the high side at 1.5', made par. Happy with that, given my physical state at that point.

Hole 9. 290yd Par 4. Everything came apart here. I hooked two tee shots OB because of my groin. Reset mentally and lined up. Phone rang (I was on call and couldn't silence it) during my swing and I yanked a third ball into the water hazard. Reset myself again. I don't post for handicap nor do I consider practice round scores to be particularly important, so I wiped the slate and started from zero. Got the ball into the fairway about 40 yards from the hole. Trudged up to the ball and hit a sawed off 56 15' above the hole. Missed the putt 3' long. Bogey.

I called the round at this point. I'd lost a bunch of golf balls, it hurt to swing, and I was going downhill fast. Through the first eight holes I was +4, which is the best I've played eight holes ever, even with the mistakes. If I fixed my putting I could have been close to even, which is eyepopping considering how bad my swing has been particularly off the tee.

I enjoyed the golf. The actual round sucked but playing golf was nice!

Edited by Xir, 18 October 2017 - 01:17 PM.

Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
Nike VR 56/10
Ping Tour-S 60/10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors