Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Changing swing because of back problems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RPryor

RPryor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472200
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:19 PM

Recently sent a swing video to a golf coach and he said I had very little hip turn and needed to work on that. I have lower back disc problems (degenerative disc disease) and once I started working on turning my hips more, my back really hurts. To the point where I can only play 9 holes. My swing is better and more consistent, but I can't hit that many balls. When I get home after 9 holes I need to ice my back and get drunk so I can sleep.

Any of you modify your swing because of back problems?

Edited by RPryor, 11 October 2017 - 11:31 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 RPryor

RPryor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

I want to add that distance isn't my problem. I was probably hitting it farther when I wasn't turning my hips (had some sway) but not as consistent. I carry driver 300 yards.

#3 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

View PostRPryor, on 11 October 2017 - 11:19 PM, said:

Recently sent a swing video to a golf coach and he said I had very little hip turn and needed to work on that. I have lower back disc problems (degenerative disc disease) and once I started working on turning my hips more, my back really hurts. To the point where I can only play 9 holes. My swing is better and more consistent, but I can't hit that many balls. When I get home after 9 holes I need to ice my back and get drunk so I can sleep ok.

I had one episode of really bad lower back injury maybe close to 30 years ago ?   I had the over the top back swing ( this was before John Daly became a household name ).  Plus implementing the old school  believe of  hitting hundreds of range balls will groove the golf swing really did the number on my back.

It was so bad that I could not get out of the bed, had to roll to my side to drop out of the bed.   Just as I was feeling a little better, I took some muscle relaxant and went to the golf course.   Slow and deliberate golf swing that could barely reach parallel at the top made some very long distance on driver and long irons that day.  Came back and re-think the golf swing because of the result..... retooled the golf swing in the next 3-4 years.

My back swing is just before parallel and I minimized the torque in the mid section from the X factor to using mostly weight shift for power.  My left shoulder did not come under my chin, under my left cheek at the most for turning.  My arms are in sync with the body.  A very simple golf swing.

No pain and no additional injury for the past 2 decades.

#4 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3249

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:50 AM

Mike Malaska, I believe, at one point had two herniated discs from doing one of those body wrenching swings. I've had some neck problems and find his approach to the swing to be the least injurious and the most satisfying. He's got a ton of videos on YouTube.

Here's a pretty good taste...

Edited by Petunia Sprinkle, 12 October 2017 - 12:51 AM.

#5 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 17,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 9533

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:22 AM

Recently sent a swing video to a golf coach and he said I had very little hip turn and needed to work on that. I have lower back disc problems (degenerative disc disease) and once I started working on turning my hips more, my back really hurts. To the point where I can only play 9 holes. My swing is better and more consistent, but I can't hit that many balls. When I get home after 9 holes I need to ice my back and get drunk so I can sleep.

Backswing hip turn?

That should take pressure off your back, but there are always exceptions.  If it was me that told you that, you should have told me the results.   If it wasnít me, you should have told him.

My priorities when I teach.

1.  Does the change protect the body?  Generally, if the body is moving in a way that creates less pressure on it, movements will be more fluid and results better.
2.  Does ball flight improve?
3.  Does tech say results are better?
4.  Does it look good?

Right now I am doing a few small things a little outside the box to protect my surgically repaired knee and long time back issues.  Thatís priority 1.

#6 markjay1

markjay1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465862
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

Same problem here.  I approached it two ways.  About a year ago I started an intense back rehabilitation program.  I worked intensively on my core, aiming first for strength then flexibility.  I don't know the exact nature or severity of your disk problem but if you can safely rehab your back then that's more than half the battle.  It took a good year before I felt much better so you gotta stick with it.

Second, yes, I modified my swing.  I went to a more upright swing.  I played to a draw for 40 years, now I play to a slight fade.  It seems to take a lot of pressure off my lower back.

I also had to come to terms with the fact that I would never have the flexibility I used to have and now make sure I swing within myself and stop beating myself up that I can't hit 'em like I used to.  Golf, both in terms of skills and fun, is so much in the head.

Best of luck.

#7 596

1979 Corvette

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 1263

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

I have a mild spondo L5 and S1.  I also have very bad arthritis in my thoracic spine.  So bad interiorly that 3 vertebra are fused together with calcium.   The doctor has told me to stay active, do not quit playing golf.  His only suggestion was to use a more hip generated turn to protect my back.  I see a chiro twice a week at this time.

Its working well enough that that I shot a lowest score in a year, 2 days ago (75).  I lipped out 3 putts and a chip.

Edited by 596, 12 October 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#8 Yff Theos

Yff Theos

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483204
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:39 AM

Less body (esp. hips) more hands (not arms, just hands) and/or lighter clubs.

#9 blehnhard

blehnhard

Over The Hill & Almost Down The Other Side

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70281
GolfWRX Likes : 228

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

I have Level 1 spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebrae ) at L4/L5 as well as spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal.  Until early Aug. I was pain and symptom free, but have been unable to play since then due to fairly severe sciatic pain in both legs (down to calf), in both buttocks, and soreness in lower back.

The above diagnosis was confirmed by my Chiropractor from an MRI done early this week.

I am just beginning my chiropractic treatment (3 sessions now) and will be going twice per week for the next 3 to 4 weeks.  I am hoping to be relatively pain free by then and back to golf.  Supposed to take a 4 day golf trip to Pinehurst in mid Nov.  My chiropractor said that I may have to lower my expectations as to how often I can play and also maybe alter swing and speed.  Will have to see.  I am almost 75 and currently play to +1 with a driver swing speed (prior to stopping play) in the mid 90's.

Most I have done is hit about 30 balls with a PW a couple of weeks ago at about 1/2 to 3/4 speed.  Have been playing about 100 to 120 rounds per year.

Interested to see what changes I may have to make.

Bruce

#10 RPryor

RPryor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:07 AM

@MonteScheinblum yes it was you but honestly I was very happy with your suggestions. All 3 were spot on. The only problem is that my lower back started hurting more and more because I was using my hips. But the results were great. Few days ago I was 1 under after 6 holes then my back acted up and I finished double-double-double.

Today I hit some balls at the range trying not to rotate my hips. I still need to play 9 holes and see how I feel (and how well I hit it) after the round.

@markjay1 you're absolutely right. Strengthening core is priority #1. I lost 20 pounds and recently started working out. I also need a few chiropractor sessions but can't afford them ATM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors