Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

John Erickson/Bradley Hughes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BirdiesnBrews

BirdiesnBrews

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483994
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:49 PM

Hey guys:

New here, a friend of mine showed me this site for equipment related stuff but I saw the instruction board and there was a Mac thread and it seems like lots of people here are knowledgeable. Anyway, Iíve been playing about 20 years, attended a Mac clinic a while back. Handicap fluctuates between a 5 and 7 and has for as long as I can remember. Iím serious about getting some instruction but donít really know where to go. I live in Florida so Iím assuming thereís some good instructors here just donít know who.

Which all brings me to the thread title. I saw John Ericksonís site, apparently he played on some smaller tours, and was immediately very interested. From the stuff I could see, he seems to have a very methodical approach and uses a lot of concepts from past greats. My general question is, has anyone done the program and what do you think?  It appears Bradley Hughes, who Iíve heard of as a player, either works with Erickson or has a similar program. Itís not cheap and appears to be totally online, so I donít wanna get myself into it if it doesnít work. So just wanted to know what everyone thinks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Jacob Mac

Jacob Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108513
GolfWRX Likes : 623

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Why are you stuck at a 5-7 hcp?  Is ballstriking holding you back? Mental game? Putting?

#3 BirdiesnBrews

BirdiesnBrews

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

@Range Rodent:  Iím not sure what you are saying, are you referring to the fact that they both played professionally? Thatís obviously a big plus to me, but I still am interested in what people thought of the program.

@Jacob Mac: I actually think my ballstriking is pretty good, a lot of people tell me I could be closer to scratch if I could putt. But Iíve tried everything with the putter, and we just donít get along and I donít think we ever will. Also think my mental game could probably use some work. I have a few Rotella books but never have read them. Maybe I should. At this point in my life, Iím just really interested in a rigorous study of ballstriking, kind of like MORAD was, and this program jumped out at me for that reason.

#4 oikos1

oikos1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124406
GolfWRX Likes : 591

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

View PostBirdiesnBrews, on 11 October 2017 - 07:49 PM, said:

Hey guys:

New here, a friend of mine showed me this site for equipment related stuff but I saw the instruction board and there was a Mac thread and it seems like lots of people here are knowledgeable. Anyway, I've been playing about 20 years, attended a Mac clinic a while back. Handicap fluctuates between a 5 and 7 and has for as long as I can remember. I'm serious about getting some instruction but don't really know where to go. I live in Florida so I'm assuming there's some good instructors here just don't know who.

Which all brings me to the thread title. I saw John Erickson's site, apparently he played on some smaller tours, and was immediately very interested. From the stuff I could see, he seems to have a very methodical approach and uses a lot of concepts from past greats. My general question is, has anyone done the program and what do you think?  It appears Bradley Hughes, who I've heard of as a player, either works with Erickson or has a similar program. It's not cheap and appears to be totally online, so I don't wanna get myself into it if it doesn't work. So just wanted to know what everyone thinks.

Best line ever...

#5 BirdiesnBrews

BirdiesnBrews

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:09 PM

View PostRange Rodent, on 11 October 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

View PostBirdiesnBrews, on 11 October 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

@Range Rodent:  I'm not sure what you are saying, are you referring to the fact that they both played professionally? That's obviously a big plus to me, but I still am interested in what people thought of the program.

@Jacob Mac: I actually think my ballstriking is pretty good, a lot of people tell me I could be closer to scratch if I could putt. But I've tried everything with the putter, and we just don't get along and I don't think we ever will. Also think my mental game could probably use some work. I have a few Rotella books but never have read them. Maybe I should. At this point in my life, I'm just really interested in a rigorous study of ballstriking, kind of like MORAD was, and this program jumped out at me for that reason.

Used to lurk over @ SITD before it got infected with dufuses and bad language. Enjoyed Bradley's posts over there as his swing concepts make sense. Specially the flatter lies angles and 4:30 clock path.  Didn't buy the program though after I heard one of modules involved beating the livin daylights out of a stuffed duffel bag until your hands were raw. Neighbors would've called the cops.

Really?  So like an impact bag?  Do you know what they are trying to teach with that?

#6 sb944

sb944

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478852
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:30 PM

I played as a kid, got to about 10 handicap, never hit the ball that well, good putter and no dramatic misses got me to 10.  I then lost golf time to another sport, and after that finished I decided to give golf another crack, virtually a newbie again at about 33yo.  I joined another forum online, and saw Lag (Erickson) posting some amazing stuff about old players, old clubs and of course the swing.  At around that time (I think) he started Advanced Ball Striking classes for anyone (was maybe doing private coaching?), and I had barely played any rounds and decided it was worth the initial investment to see if the first 3 drills were good.

I (and others there) loved the drills.  It was bashing a bag at first, from memory right hand only, 2 iron (must be 50yo+ blade :)) from right hip, to impact bag.  He hated the idea of anyone hitting balls at a range, he said this drill and 2-3 others should be all the practice and warmup you need after you get this swing, everything else should just be playing.  In fact when a couple of people complained their ball striking wasn't improving he wouldn't hear it, as he didn't like you hitting the range during the course.  He said the only way to learn his swing is build a strong core and fundamentals, and the drills do that for you.   I remember one of his quests was to "hold the lag" until after impact, talking club head lag here, and he had photos of the greats doing something like that.  He wanted us to get way flatter swings, and bend our irons 4 degrees flat.  He constantly complained the modern game has been ruined by modern equipment, and par 4's should sometimes be well hit driver and 2 iron, but instead par 5's are most often well hit driver and 7 iron.  That courses are made for bombers and putting was now far more important than accurate ball striking on the tour.  He tried (and failed) to qualify for the US Open using 1950's equipment in about 2009.

I did it for a while and made it to module 4 (of 10 I think) before the stress and time of work and family meant golf was becoming difficult to achieve, and not fun when I went out.  The first module was pretty easy, and addictive, but it got diffificult after that, and there was a lot of drilling for a week, send him a video, and he'd reply you still aren't doing it right, and you had to do it another week before sending the next one in.  He wasn't mean, but it was tough work trying to get it right, and I'd say for someone like me was going to take a year of drilling to get close to finishing.  The big problem is I still had only touched on things Monte says we can't control, and therefore when I went out on course would struggle to get consistent contact, as we still hadn't touched on backswing or transition (we had covered setup from memory), which for me would likely have been inside takeaway, and lord knows what for a transition.  That said, when I did get it right, I was hitting it pretty long (250y with persimmon) and loved the feel of the old equipment, and in fact still use the old blade irons.

All that said, when I started up 8 or so years later (now 42, started again 4 months ago), I didn't go back.  It was really hard work, and it's not only the time and effort, but the commitment to one guys POV, which I'd lose a little faith in, and constantly sending him videos.  I went to the forums, and it looked like it had really slowed down after I left, and didn't see any real evidence of anyone I'd been doing it with still there, and talking it up, in fact didn't see evidence that anyone had taken their 18 handicap swing to scratch, and that's 8 years ago.  It's possible I didn't look hard enough.

Bradley Hughes (2masters) was there is spirit from what I could tell.  He was a very famous Australian golfer when I grew up, always in the top 10 in local "majors", which often featured 2-3 world top 10's.  He didn't run anything there, but said his view of the golf swing was revitalised by Lag, and during that time made a big run at an Australian Masters after years of not playing/featuring, and also gave us a tonne of stories about the tours/players/lifestyle.  It seemed those two became close friends, not sure if they still are.

Since my return I have seen bigger overall gains in my swing and practical knowledge of the swing watching Monte videos, monitoring myself and using a skytrak, and in shorter time.  I'm still time strapped, but can squeeze 30+ minutes a day most days, and given skytrak, can see a lot more results of the ball striking day to day.  I'm also playing the TGC sim tour with it, so get a bit of practical golf course play in each week, even if it is off a mat.  Reults are really peaking this last week with ball striking, and even though I may be on a hot streak, I am definitely in new territory for me when it comes to consistent ball striking, and am looking to work hard to cement some of these improvements, and look forward to even more from more Monte drills soon.

#7 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

I also bought the first 3 modules and only completed the first, as I got what I needed out of Mod 1 alone. I tried flatter lies, however my swing only required 2 degrees flat. Fast forward to now and I would have gotten just as much out of using the impact snap device, had I discovered it in 2009.

The concepts are solid and I still follow Bradley Hughes as he teaches the same concepts as pretty much all the modern "gurus"

You will hear people bashing the ABS site all the time. But like most things, you have to try it out to see if it is a good fit. If not, move on to someone else until you find something that resonates well with you.
"There is more than one way to skin a cat" as they say.
Callaway DBD w/ Aldila Rogue silver
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W
Callaway RZR Fit Extreme 5W
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 hybrid 3 w/ UST Recoil 670
Cobra AMP Forged 4-GW w/KBS Tour black nickel S
Miura 54 & 58 wedges
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

#8 BirdiesnBrews

BirdiesnBrews

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback.  Doesn’t sound too positive tbh. I would hate having to wait for a video to get reviewed videos. Atrayn, why’d you not complete the second and third modules?  Did you get a refund?

#9 MrWolf

MrWolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,919 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41616
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 5968

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

From what I can tell, Erickson has something of a cult like following which is a little off-putting. I find Hughes' teaching a lot more accessible and I really like a lot of what he has to say. His YouTube channel is a goldmine for instance. I also know a lot of people have had good results with him. Who knows whether it will work for you though? I know his preference is to teach the swing in stages through very specific drills. Lots of repetition involved, which again may or may not fit your learning style.

Edited by MrWolf, 12 October 2017 - 11:30 AM.

///OGA Member #13 - 'The Man from Blighty'///

#10 Atrayn

Atrayn

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73203
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

View PostBirdiesnBrews, on 12 October 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

Thanks guys for the feedback.  Doesn’t sound too positive tbh. I would hate having to wait for a video to get reviewed videos. Atrayn, why’d you not complete the second and third modules?  Did you get a refund?

Like I said, I got what I needed out of the first module. I didn't ask for a refund because I also got access to a lot of other content. What I learned was reinforced later when I moved to AZ and saw Martin Chuck.
As for the cult-like following...I see the same thing for other teachers. What John taught resonated with a lot of people including Bradley Hughes and I can understand why. He got bashed incessantly regarding his super-slotting.
A move that was something I was not interested in but he found that on his own. I wouldn't try to teach it either. But again, to each his own.

Edit - I never had any issues with communication with him. He always responded quickly to any questions I had.

Edited by Atrayn, 12 October 2017 - 12:20 PM.

Callaway DBD w/ Aldila Rogue silver
Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W
Callaway RZR Fit Extreme 5W
Tour Edge Exotics EX10 hybrid 3 w/ UST Recoil 670
Cobra AMP Forged 4-GW w/KBS Tour black nickel S
Miura 54 & 58 wedges
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 BirdiesnBrews

BirdiesnBrews

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

View PostAtrayn, on 12 October 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

Thanks guys for the feedback.  Doesnít sound too positive tbh. I would hate having to wait for a video to get reviewed videos. Atrayn, whyíd you not complete the second and third modules?  Did you get a refund?

Like I said, I got what I needed out of the first module. I didn't ask for a refund because I also got access to a lot of other content. What I learned was reinforced later when I moved to AZ and saw Martin Chuck.
As for the cult-like following...I see the same thing for other teachers. What John taught resonated with a lot of people including Bradley Hughes and I can understand why. He got bashed incessantly regarding his super-slotting.
A move that was something I was not interested in but he found that on his own. I wouldn't try to teach it either. But again, to each his own.

Edit - I never had any issues with communication with him. He always responded quickly to any questions I had.

Ok thanks. I think Iíve found the second and third mods on YouTube and I can see why you may not have bothered with them (especially the third). I think Iím gonna look elsewhere.

#12 Billy Baroo

Billy Baroo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435758
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

Don't waste your time. You'll be hitting an impact bag so much that by the time you hit a golf ball, you'll feel like you stop at impact rather swing through it.

Erickson also likes the idea of a flat and very open clubface on the downswing and wants active forearm rotation going to impact, and then from impact, holding off the rotation. It's difficult to swing with such a wide open face.
Maybe.....Yessir!

#13 sb944

sb944

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478852
  • Handicap:18
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

There are no refunds, I prepaid some modules and won't see that money again, but he did say I can come back later and do them still.  I really thought about it when I returned this year, I did like the program, and think he had created something unique.  I mean the good teachers here talk about building a mental pathway into your sub conscious, and this is what Lag is doing.  The beauty of it is, you are doing it without ball striking, so aren't affected by the end result of the ball at the range.  

One of the things stopping me though is I'm not sure I'm committed enough to his ideas to go through all that work again.  Looking back now, I was kind of going on blind faith that I would end up as an "advanced ball striker", but there were no promises.  There are no promises I could even finish the course, and where will my swing be at, better or worse than today.

Edited by sb944, 12 October 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#14 BirdiesnBrews

BirdiesnBrews

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:33 PM

View PostRange Rodent, on 12 October 2017 - 01:16 PM, said:

View PostBirdiesnBrews, on 12 October 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

View PostAtrayn, on 12 October 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

Thanks guys for the feedback.  Doesn't sound too positive tbh. I would hate having to wait for a video to get reviewed videos. Atrayn, why'd you not complete the second and third modules?  Did you get a refund?

Ok thanks. I think I've found the second and third mods on YouTube and I can see why you may not have bothered with them (especially the third). I think I'm gonna look elsewhere.

Links ?

I don’t have them I had to search for awhile and tbh I wouldn’t post the links anyway cuz I don’t wanna spread stuff around that they are apparently trying to keep secret. They are just videos of students doing the drills, you can find them if you search enough.

#15 Grayback1973

Grayback1973

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322609
GolfWRX Likes : 432

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

I got a lesson with Bradley Hughes online years ago.Still have the impact bag I constructed.I now use it to set my camera on to film my swing....lol.

Does anyone know if Grady Dickens is still a disciple of Jon Erickson? I know that for a time Grady was one of his top students.

D-Nike Vapor Fly
3w-Nike Vapor Speed
Adams Idea 17deg
4-pw Mizuno mp59
Cleveland cg16 sw-56
Ping B60

#16 flatnstuck

flatnstuck

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts