Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Will a Shorter Iron Shaft Benefit Me Like a Shorter Driver Shaft


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

Meaning..I've always been fit to 3/4 or 1" over in iron fittings, depending on the OEM and their standard length.   But recently I went to a demo where I wanted try two different shafts in the same iron.  But they only had one shaft in 1/2 over and the other in the 1" over.

I hit the 1" well enough, mostly like my normal shaft length.  Then when I tried the 1/2 it was like magic, every shot seemed flushed and seemed to have much more solid contact.   Could it be similar to drivers, where the shorter shaft gave me much more control thus producing more consistent contact.

I know the answer seems obvious based on the above results.  But I guess I had just never thought of irons that way, It seemed i was always fit more for my posture stance with the 1" vs. better results with a shorter shaft.  I didn't seem to notice a huge difference in my set up, meaning I didn't feel like I was more hunched over with the 1/2 than the 1" but that was just my feel, I obviously couldn't see for myself.

Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Titleist 718 AP1 4-7 Iron, AP2 7-PW AMT Red
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 ImChrisBosh

ImChrisBosh

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 453422
  • Joined: 01/30/2017
  • Location:California
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Have the same question, would love to hear the answer

2

#3 BKN1964

BKN1964

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 355701
  • Joined: 01/01/2015
  • Location:Northern Kentucky
GolfWRX Likes : 581

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

I remember reading an article a few years back talking about how most players would benefit from playing irons a little shorter vs. "standard" or longer.  I think Wishon touches on it in his "12 Myths" publication as well.

3

#4 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
  • Joined: 07/12/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 1509

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

How do you even define what a "standard" iron length is?  Mizuno is a little shorter than Callaway.  Older irons are a little shorter than newer irons.  Is a 38" 5iron standard today?  Who decided that?

4

#5 wkuo3

wkuo3

    RELEASE

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Joined: 10/24/2006
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

There could be other consideration.  Maybe the head is different and/or the shaft is different than what you're using now.

Did you order the new set of irons with 1/2" over length ?


5

#6 Cwebb

Cwebb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1167

Posted 11 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

The answer is that it's certainly a possibility.  If you know from testing experience that you hit a certain spec better than what "conventional methods" would suggest,....then by all means continue to explore it.

It's would be a sinking feeling to try a club that was like "magic", but then disregard the experience because of what someone else's opinion was.

Another example is with lie angle.  Some players have found that they simply get better shot results with lie angles that would not be recommended based on any conventional fitting method

Edited by Cwebb, 11 October 2017 - 05:35 PM.


6

#7 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:56 PM

View Postwkuo3, on 11 October 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

There could be other consideration.  Maybe the head is different and/or the shaft is different than what you're using now.

Did you order the new set of irons with 1/2" over length ?
The demo head was the same, 718!AP1 the standard Titleist spec say 37" so I was hitting a 37.5 better than the 38.  My current Mizuno is 37.75 which is 1" over Mizuno standard.  

So in short (no pun intended) the demo Iron in 718 I was hitting the best was 1/4.inch less than my current iron.  Really pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.   I'm sure the fact it's a much more forgiving head than the Mizuno contributed mostly to the positive results.  

Hard to say on the shafts.  The demo was the AMT Red in S flex.  My Mizuno have C- Taper Lite in 110 g.  Which I think I hit fine.  But there was certsinly a noticiable difference between the two shafts and heads combo.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Titleist 718 AP1 4-7 Iron, AP2 7-PW AMT Red
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

7

#8 Patrick_O

Patrick_O

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294618
  • Joined: 02/01/2014
  • Location:Virginia
  • Handicap:24
  • Ebay ID:p_o_sullivan
GolfWRX Likes : 260

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:11 PM

As others have pointed out, different manufacturers have different standard lengths.  Once you find the iron you like, get fit for that specific one to find the shaft and set up that works best for you (i.e. don't just rely on static fitting).  For me, I went SL with standard length throughout (same as +1/2" 8 iron on my old irons) 2 degrees upright, no regrets.
Cleveland XL Classic Driver
TaylorMade RBZ Stage2 Strong 3 Wood
Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Adams Idea Black CB3 Irons 4-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 58
Yes Tracy Putter / McGregor Bobby Grace M1 Putter

8

#9 wkuo3

wkuo3

    RELEASE

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Joined: 10/24/2006
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 11 October 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

View Postwkuo3, on 11 October 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

There could be other consideration.  Maybe the head is different and/or the shaft is different than what you're using now.

Did you order the new set of irons with 1/2" over length ?
The demo head was the same, 718!AP1 the standard Titleist spec say 37" so I was hitting a 37.5 better than the 38.  My current Mizuno is 37.75 which is 1" over Mizuno standard.  

So in short (no pun intended) the demo Iron in 718 I was hitting the best was 1/4.inch less than my current iron.  Really pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.   I'm sure the fact it's a much more forgiving head than the Mizuno contributed mostly to the positive results.  

Hard to say on the shafts.  The demo was the AMT Red in S flex.  My Mizuno have C- Taper Lite in 110 g.  Which I think I hit fine.  But there was certsinly a noticiable difference between the two shafts and heads combo.

I can appreciate the feeling when found a golf club which is like discovering an old friend.
You were right regarding the difference in your current iron and the demo iron.  By head design and the shaft profile.   Did you check the other spec like the lie angle and hosel off set angle ?
AP1 718 is a nice iron and forgiving comparing to most of the Mizuno models....If you could demo other sticks in the set that would be the tell tale sign of whether you should consider getting a new set of irons or not.
You had also stated that you were fitted from your posture stance.  A static fit is not as accurate as a dynamic fit while you're in the motion of a golf swing.
I remembered one guy came in to show me that the toe of the iron was pointing up in the air while he was addressing the golf ball.  So he insisted on bending the irons flat to make the iron sole flush to the ground while he is in the addressing position.   I showed him that at the impact the sole of the iron was making close to perfect angle to the turf.... from toe drooping, by using a piece of black electric tape on the sole of the iron to show the impact mark.

Story is, you were best fitted with "one" demo stock that is very different than your current set of irons.   If I were you, I'd be curious to try out the rest of the set to see if this should be the next set of irons.

9

#10 fore_life

fore_life

    Swung too hard, hit it too pure.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
  • Joined: 07/03/2008
  • Location:Gilbert,AZ
  • Handicap:40
GolfWRX Likes : 1996

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:04 AM

I was selected to do the 718 fitting, and I had always played my irons +1/2 over standard TM specs , my fitter suggested standard to tighten up dispersion, and boy did it.

Here's my report of the fitting/irons

http://www.golfwrx.c...-tpi-oceanside/

Adams Fast 12 Ls Ust 90x elements
TEE cb 16.5 Kuro Kage 80x proto
Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
718 tmb 4 iron
718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
Vokeys
Odyssey 7ch

Various other putters currently in the closet,
thinking about what they’ve done wrong,
and how they’ve hurt me so.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 5014

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:23 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 11 October 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

I know the answer seems obvious based on the above results.  But I guess I had just never thought of irons that way, It seemed i was always fit more for my posture stance with the 1" vs. better results with a shorter shaft.  I didn't seem to notice a huge difference in my set up, meaning I didn't feel like I was more hunched over with the 1/2 than the 1" but that was just my feel, I obviously couldn't see for myself.

It's not nearly as obvious as it might seem.   The length difference is easy to notice but there could be other differences as well.  Think about it, do you see the same dramatic difference when hitting and comparing say the 6 and 7 irons in your own set?

While it is possible that shorter can help with irons - it's usually limited to the longer irons in the set and it's not typically that dramatic.  It's not something you'd typically see in the short irons and even not as likely in the mid irons.   That's why some players can benefit from shorter 3/8" increments - it reduces the playing length of the longer irons but keeps the short irons from getting too short.

However in your case, my first suspect would actually be from a difference in swing weight between he two - particularly since they are demo clubs it's' very unlikely that the SW's were matched.  Unfortunately the only way to verify that would be to put them both on a SW scale.

Edited by Stuart G., 12 October 2017 - 03:28 AM.


11

#12 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,928 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 505

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

View Postfore_life, on 12 October 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

I was selected to do the 718 fitting, and I had always played my irons +1/2 over standard TM specs , my fitter suggested standard to tighten up dispersion, and boy did it.

Here's my report of the fitting/irons

http://www.golfwrx.c...-tpi-oceanside/
Thanks for reply, that was some experience you guys got to go through.   Although other than extra length in our previous set of irons, our games have nothing in common....LOL  

View PostStuart G., on 12 October 2017 - 03:23 AM, said:

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 11 October 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

I know the answer seems obvious based on the above results.  But I guess I had just never thought of irons that way, It seemed i was always fit more for my posture stance with the 1" vs. better results with a shorter shaft.  I didn't seem to notice a huge difference in my set up, meaning I didn't feel like I was more hunched over with the 1/2 than the 1" but that was just my feel, I obviously couldn't see for myself.

It's not nearly as obvious as it might seem.   The length difference is easy to notice but there could be other differences as well.  Think about it, do you see the same dramatic difference when hitting and comparing say the 6 and 7 irons in your own set?

While it is possible that shorter can help with irons - it's usually limited to the longer irons in the set and it's not typically that dramatic.  It's not something you'd typically see in the short irons and even not as likely in the mid irons.   That's why some players can benefit from shorter 3/8" increments - it reduces the playing length of the longer irons but keeps the short irons from getting too short.

However in your case, my first suspect would actually be from a difference in swing weight between he two - particularly since they are demo clubs it's' very unlikely that the SW's were matched.  Unfortunately the only way to verify that would be to put them both on a SW scale.
Thanks for the comments Stuart, I was hoping you might chime in.  Yeah, I didn't have the ability to put them on a scale, but they definitely feel differently in the swing.   Good question about my 6 and 7, and in full honesty I do feel that's where I do begin to notice a confidence level difference more so than a comfort/physical difference.      What you say about the difference being more noticeable in the long irons, is one of the reasons I was attracted to the One Length irons earlier this year.  I demoed the One Forged from Cobra and really hit them well all the way through the set.   Swinging a 5 iron that "felt" like a 7 iron seemed much easier.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5 Diamana Red S+ 50g
Titleist F2 917 18* Diamana 60g S+
Titleist 816 H1 21* Diamana S+
Titleist 718 AP1 4-7 Iron, AP2 7-PW AMT Red
Titleist SM6 50.8, 54.8 and 58.12
Scotty Cameron X7M 35"

12

#13 Noodler

Noodler

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344441
  • Joined: 10/13/2014
  • Location:Denver, CO
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

View PostLeoLeo99, on 11 October 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

How do you even define what a "standard" iron length is?  Mizuno is a little shorter than Callaway.  Older irons are a little shorter than newer irons.  Is a 38" 5iron standard today?  Who decided that?

Mizuno's 37.75" 5 iron is NOT shorter than other manufacturers.  They just measure differently.  Next time you're in a shop with stock Mizuno irons available, grab the 5 iron and compare it to other manufacturers 5 irons.  You'll find they are the same.  I just did this again last weekend between Mizuno, Titleist, and Callaway.  They are the same length.

13

#14 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 5014

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:59 AM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 12 October 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the comments Stuart, I was hoping you might chime in.  Yeah, I didn't have the ability to put them on a scale, but they definitely feel differently in the swing.   Good question about my 6 and 7, and in full honesty I do feel that's where I do begin to notice a confidence level difference more so than a comfort/physical difference.   What you say about the difference being more noticeable in the long irons, is one of the reasons I was attracted to the One Length irons earlier this year.  I demoed the One Forged from Cobra and really hit them well all the way through the set.   Swinging a 5 iron that "felt" like a 7 iron seemed much easier.

Well, my choice for the 6/7 was arbitrary, just as applicable to 7 vs 8 or 8 vs 9.    The point being, while many do start to struggle a bit with the longer irons, the difference isn't typically as dramatic as you described when comparing those two demo irons so there is very likely more going on then just the length difference.

The potential issues with the one length irons is that, although as you say it's a nice thought to have the 5 iron feel like the 7, it's not always as nice to have the PW also feel like the 7 iron.  But you wont know until you try.   If it works well for you, great, if not, you might want to consider the 3/8" length increments in the iron.  Then the 5 would be more like the length of a 6 iron.

14

#15 KCCO

KCCO

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
  • Joined: 09/06/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 331

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Getting properly fit for your irons will yield best results. Assume numbers will show what length will be best for you and consistency

Edited by KCCO, 13 October 2017 - 08:38 AM.

Titleist 917 D3
Titleist 917 F
Titleist 915 H
PXG 0311T                    MCI-100 black
PXG Darkness 52/58.    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

15

#16 RogerinNewZealand

RogerinNewZealand

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145241
  • Joined: 11/03/2011
  • Location:Maungakeikei Auckland New Zealand
GolfWRX Likes : 631

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

My best guess is the Felt Good One had a more favourable swingweight
or Shaft Orientation to Flow/Spine well.
I just hit a V Steel 3 wood with stock R shaft that i grabbed a month ago for $20.
At the range its just a Winner to hit.. for no reason at all....now the 5 V Steel is nothing special in comparison!!
So sometimes you get the Feel Good combo that you can't buy when you order.....
Had a Ping TISI 5 wood years ago..it was The One !!
Mid December 2017 Butter Pic added !!

Titleist 905R YS6 10.5 at D3
TM R7 Quad 10.5 has new P L Blue shipping soon !!

Cobra Amp Cell 5 wood Fuji Fuel at 20
TM V Steel 15 stock Regular

Hogan Apex Plus 2000ish 4 5 6 7 8 9 PW
Mizuno MP T5  Satin 52 and 59

Anser 3 Manganese Bronze 36  333 + 18 grams down shaft =351 Great for Ford Fans!!

16



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors