Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Practice time for Juniors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Smarques33

Smarques33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483088
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Hi All,
I have been following the posts on the Junior threads for a few weeks now. They have been very informative on many levels.
I have a 9 yr old boy and 7 year old girl both compete in Local US kids events. My question is how much time a week do you make for practice time? During the Spring and Fall I am lucky if I can squeeze in 1-2 hours twice a week. We live in the Northeast. So have been lucky this Fall with the weather. Otherwise majority of practice is done during summer. We get 8 tournaments in each season except for summer, (tournaments are on weekdays) so they only play PGA junior league in summer. Trying to gauge were I am at with families in similar situations. For peace of mind...lol!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Here's the thing... you're going to feel like it's never enough but in reality you're probably practicing as much as everyone else.  Just maximize your time working on what's hurting your child's scores the most and it will all work out.

#3 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Our schedule doesn't allow (nor does my wife) for us to practice more than 2 a week on tournament weeks and a 3rd on non tournament weeks. Anywhere from 1 - 1/2 at max.  Right now we are playing one or two local US kids events per weekend, we are lucky to live an hour a way for a second event.  I do know some around here that do it 4 or 5 days a week. I also do a putting drill each night on our carpet putting green for 10-15 mins.

To piggy back some here what are things everyone works on during practice?

Edited by darter79, 10 October 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#4 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

Once school starts, it is so difficult to find time to practice.  My son is in 8th grade and gets home from school around 3:30.  Sunset is already at 6:26.  He has a ton of school work and is a kid that likes to go to bed early (8:30ish).  Kids at that age need down time as well so we literally have to schedule practice time based on nights that don't have a test the next day or a project of some kind to work on.  Once DST ends, may as well forget about practice during the week.

#5 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 856

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

Depends on time of the year.

We live on a course, so it makes it very easy for us.  He just gets in the cart and goes.  He will spend at least an hour at the course after or before dinner every single day.  Many times he will drive and play 9 holes while the misses and I walk the course to get exercise.  It is hard this time of the year because of daylight.  There are times of the year he will be at the course until 8:30 pm.  On the weekends he goes to the practice range for 2-3 hours every morning.  In the afternoon he will play at least 18 holes.

#6 Smarques33

Smarques33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the responses so far! This time of year we have 2 different nights of catechism class, soccer practice for one, and girls scouts. That leaves 2 days if nothing else comes up like appointments or school functions or weather. Just got to find time for 2 more weeks. Then the clubs get put away until March if we are lucky. Welcome to New England!

#7 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1351

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:18 AM

Range 4-5 days a week and play every weekend. My son determines the schedule and how much he wants to practice.

#8 CTgolf

CTgolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

Here in the northeast the season is short and play and outdoor practice from December to mid March is challenging with the rare exceptional warm day (I think the cutoff temp for my son is probably mid 40s before it becomes “too cold”).

He plays a winter sport at a competitive level so between that sport’s time commitment, school and shortened daylight hours there just isn’t much time for golf practice, but I have emphasized to him that he needs to practice some putts/pitches/wedge shots every day, even if for just 15 minutes,

For putting, we have a 12’ indoor putting mat and Eyeline Putting Mirror, and he focuses on perfect setup and just starting the ball on the proper line.  Quality not quantity.

We have a launch monitor along with a mat/net setup in the basement for hitting pitches and full shots.  With mirrors front facing and down the line, he again focuses on perfect setup and checks positions at 90* take away, top of backswing, etc.  Again perfect form for a few swings is so much more important than bashing buckets of balls.  He hits pitches and wedge shots to specific carry yardage daily, since proximity to hole when he has less than a full shot sand wedge from the ‘scoring zone’ will ultimately determine how low he can go in tournament play.

When he has extra time or just wants to play for fun, the launch monitor is hooked up to a laptop and the program allows practicing various full shots on a range (which is what we use for the wedge carry drills mentioned above) or playing a full 18h round.

#9 Smarques33

Smarques33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

We were outside today in RI. Temp was 55 degrees, got 4 holes in before dark (needed glow ball for the last).

#10 TimberBeast

TimberBeast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423152
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

My daughter is 12, as she gets older we are finding less and less time for practice and playing.  She is a natural athlete, has always
been good at everything.  I have always encouraged her to play every sport she can and wants to since she was little.  She just started practicing for her school's 7th grade basketball team a couple weeks ago and that is tough.  She has only ever done a golf lesson about 3 times a month, for about 45 min to an hour.  She plays about once or twice a month or so with me (i don't play usually, just take her) and she gets out to practice on the range, chipping, putting, a few more times per month.  Took her this past Saturday and she shot a 76 from the women's tees.  

We have a good local US Kids tour with 3 seasons per year that we aren't doing quite as much of anymore.  We're trying to move up a little to SJGT, have a couple of those coming up in the next couple months.  I have always focused on her not playing and practicing as much as possible, and making sure she has other interests.  She is a very good tennis player (although doesn't practice much anymore), and she'll play on the high school team next Spring, along with being the #1 girl on the high school girl's golf team (which isn't saying a whole lot for her school).

I want to start getting her more serious on the golf next year with practice , but still letting her play more sports if she wants too.  Her basketball practice schedule has been eye opening this year though, it has been a little much, but she absolutely loves it so no way I'm making her stop.  But at some point things have to start narrowing down, and golf is her true love.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 856

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

View PostTimberBeast, on 18 October 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

My daughter is 12, as she gets older we are finding less and less time for practice and playing.  She is a natural athlete, has always
been good at everything.  I have always encouraged her to play every sport she can and wants to since she was little.  She just started practicing for her school's 7th grade basketball team a couple weeks ago and that is tough.  She has only ever done a golf lesson about 3 times a month, for about 45 min to an hour.  She plays about once or twice a month or so with me (i don't play usually, just take her) and she gets out to practice on the range, chipping, putting, a few more times per month.  Took her this past Saturday and she shot a 76 from the women's tees.  

We have a good local US Kids tour with 3 seasons per year that we aren't doing quite as much of anymore.  We're trying to move up a little to SJGT, have a couple of those coming up in the next couple months.  I have always focused on her not playing and practicing as much as possible, and making sure she has other interests.  She is a very good tennis player (although doesn't practice much anymore), and she'll play on the high school team next Spring, along with being the #1 girl on the high school girl's golf team (which isn't saying a whole lot for her school).

I want to start getting her more serious on the golf next year with practice , but still letting her play more sports if she wants too.  Her basketball practice schedule has been eye opening this year though, it has been a little much, but she absolutely loves it so no way I'm making her stop.  But at some point things have to start narrowing down, and golf is her true love.

If golf is her true love and she can shoot 76 from the women's tee with little to no practice she can earn a college scholarship to play the game.  Basketball is a great sport and many crossover drills and conditioning that help with golf.  As a 7th grader, she really needs to start branching out and playing 2 day tournaments.  Needs to get her name on college coaches radars now if it is her passion and that is what she wants to do.  If you need any help or have any questions shoot me a PM.  Would be happy to help because there is no road map on how to do it.  You really only know how from previous experiences in doing it.

#12 TimberBeast

TimberBeast

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 423152
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 18 October 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

View PostTimberBeast, on 18 October 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

If golf is her true love and she can shoot 76 from the women's tee with little to no practice she can earn a college scholarship to play the game.  Basketball is a great sport and many crossover drills and conditioning that help with golf.  As a 7th grader, she really needs to start branching out and playing 2 day tournaments.  Needs to get her name on college coaches radars now if it is her passion and that is what she wants to do.  If you need any help or have any questions shoot me a PM.  Would be happy to help because there is no road map on how to do it.  You really only know how from previous experiences in doing it.

Don't get me wrong, she has played plenty of golf.  We just don't get out and get her so much practice.  Like I said, it has fallen off  lately because of time but she was able to do a couple team golf events a few weeks ago, two back to back actually that broke the bank pretty good.  I want her to keep doing the US Kids stuff here and there because it's close and she's still transitioning to walking 18 holes, I think it's good practice.  Everything next year will finally be 18 holes so that's good.  Heavy I'll definitely pm you because I could use some advice on a lot of that stuff.

My main point here was that I fully encourage her to play as many sports as possible and always have, and that I think too much practice can be a bad thing as well at these younger ages.  There has to be other things going on in their lives.  With tennis I always tell her now, Play tennis to Play golf.  Even if she doesn't enjoy it as much anymore it keeps her fit and she gets to hang around with her friends and play against them for fun.  They are still kids.

Edited by TimberBeast, 18 October 2017 - 02:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors