Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Paul Dunne - how far can he go in the game?


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129568
  • Joined: 05/26/2011
  • Location:Edinburgh, Scotland
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

Paul Dunne
OWGR: 80 (9 Oct 17) Race To Dubai 13 (9 Oct 17)

He's made really good progress this year. Been very impressed with his all-round game having gotten to see a lot of him this season particularly in the last few weeks.

To me he looks like a player who can go on and achieve great things.

I appreciate he's early in his career and will be experiencing a steep learning curve but would be curious to know if there is anything specific behind his tremendous leap forward this year. He finished Race To Dubai 2016 @ 106 in ranking.

Anyone got any interesting insight into his game or person?

Edited by OldTomMorris, 10 October 2017 - 05:34 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 seve1972

seve1972

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124438
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

I bet he wins 14 majors then runs into a fire hydrant........oh wait...

2

#3 worldslasttwfan

worldslasttwfan

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139119
  • Joined: 09/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

very impressive young player.
best of luck to him
How s Tom Lewis game these days?

3

#4 Dave230

Dave230

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 252022
  • Joined: 05/22/2013
  • Location:Ireland
GolfWRX Likes : 1737

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

For his improvement this year, I think it's just experience, he was a good amateur, good college player, won his card straight away. Just natural progression I think.

Works really, really hard on his game. Very well grounded and a good all-rounder. Anyone who can lead a major after 54 holes as an amateur is a serious talent.

Having said that, I don't think he's anywhere near Rory's level of talent. I think it's hard to tell how he will do in majors/WGCs until he plays a few more. He'll be 25 in November, so that's older than Justin Thomas, Spieth, Rahm etc.

If I take a wild guess now, I'd say 7-8 European Tour wins, playing in 2/3 Ryder Cups. If he gets a good week, he could win a major like Willett, but I never see him being someone who would be considered one of the main contenders.

Edited by Dave230, 10 October 2017 - 05:37 PM.


4

#5 OldTomMorris

OldTomMorris

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129568
  • Joined: 05/26/2011
  • Location:Edinburgh, Scotland
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:46 AM

I was incredibly impressed with how rock solid his short game performed under the big pressure of the final around at the British Masters.

He ranks highly in the putting stats which is never a bad thing.


5

#6 Bingo1976

Bingo1976

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194780
  • Joined: 07/26/2012
  • Location:Singapore
  • Handicap:6.8
GolfWRX Likes : 1013

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:29 AM

View PostDave230, on 10 October 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

For his improvement this year, I think it's just experience, he was a good amateur, good college player, won his card straight away. Just natural progression I think.

Works really, really hard on his game. Very well grounded and a good all-rounder. Anyone who can lead a major after 54 holes as an amateur is a serious talent.

Having said that, I don't think he's anywhere near Rory's level of talent. I think it's hard to tell how he will do in majors/WGCs until he plays a few more. He'll be 25 in November, so that's older than Justin Thomas, Spieth, Rahm etc.

If I take a wild guess now, I'd say 7-8 European Tour wins, playing in 2/3 Ryder Cups. If he gets a good week, he could win a major like Willett, but I never see him being someone who would be considered one of the main contenders.

Plenty of shining stars in their college years who ended up doing nothing, or took years to mature (ie Justin Rose). I remember a time when 25 was young for a pro golfer! He is still on the right trajectory, and probably one of the better prospects in Europe right now.
Titleist 913D3 w/Fubuki K 60S
TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, Matrix Ozik regular shaft
TaylorMade R9 5 wood, Motore 70 regular
Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees Stiff RedTie
Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200
Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS HiRev
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0

6

#7 iBanesto

iBanesto

    Niclas Fasth

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
  • Joined: 08/24/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 729

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:37 AM

Does he hit it far enough? GolfWRX far enough? :lol:

7

#8 snizzle

snizzle

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442582
  • Joined: 10/05/2016
  • Location:CA
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

Went the full 4 years at UAB.  Started off a bit slow at college after being a top junior amateur in Ireland.  Really took off during his junior season and was a member of the winning Euro Palmer cup team.  Obviously was the 54 hole leader at the Open as an amateur after his senior season.  Didn't turn pro until he was nearly 23 after leading Europe in the 2015 Walker cup win over the U.S.  His career is obviously on an upward trajectory the past year.  I don't know if he has any PGA aspirations but he definitely has the talent and work ethic to be one of the best players on the European Tour for years to come.  He has certainly been impressive these past two weeks.  Maybe Dunne will win a major one day similar to his idol Graeme McDowell.

8

#9 Hankshank

Hankshank

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
  • Joined: 05/10/2014
  • Location:Central Scandinavia
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:12 PM

Irish and Scandinavian players will develop later than in the US, few soccer moms over here. He did great combatting for the victory in the Dunhill links, even though he won his first victory the week before. Very humble irish fellow, not the JT/Reed attitude. Plenty of firepower, biceps the size of JT's quads, and a sound game. I do wonder though if his short game is good enough for major wins. Definitely more talented than Theon Willett.

Edited by Hankshank, 11 October 2017 - 11:14 PM.


9

#10 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
  • Joined: 08/08/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 719

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

View PostHankshank, on 11 October 2017 - 11:12 PM, said:

Irish and Scandinavian players will develop later than in the US, few soccer moms over here. He did great combatting for the victory in the Dunhill links, even though he won his first victory the week before. Very humble irish fellow, not the JT/Reed attitude. Plenty of firepower, biceps the size of JT's quads, and a sound game. I do wonder though if his short game is good enough for major wins. Definitely more talented than Theon Willett.

his short game is supposed to be his strongest suit...

Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

    Splash Pad Gangsta

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474344
  • Joined: 07/09/2017
  • Location:Southern Ontario Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:55 PM

I could see him going places now that he has a W under his belt.  I've thought he was always a bit tentative/apprehensive/unsure of himself.  The confidence he gets from the W will go a long way.
Current WITB:
Driver: Taylormade R7 TP 8.5
Fwy Woods: undecided at the moment
Irons: 1974 Hogan Director 2-9 all custom length and lofts(21-48 deg)
Wedges: Cobra One length 54&60 deg w/TT DG X100
Putter: Slotline HMI w/Superstroke Slim 3.0
Ball: TP5 (bye bye bridgestone)

11

#12 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
  • Joined: 08/08/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 719

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

View PostCarvallo Golf, on 12 October 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

I could see him going places now that he has a W under his belt.  I've thought he was always a bit tentative/apprehensive/unsure of himself.  The confidence he gets from the W will go a long way.

problem with pro golf ..sometimes the wins are 10 years apart.
Cobra LTD Pro Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*/Cobra F6 Tour Issue Hybrid 3/4 UST IROD/
Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus3 125
Nike Engage Wedges 52 sq, 54 sq, 58 TS, 60 TS KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 Black/Bettinardi Studio Stock #2/B Grace Artist Series
Nike RZN tour Plat/Black/Srixon Z-STAR XV

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors