Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

US Kids Events

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 183

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Are US Kids events just a money grab?  I get that local tournament directors actually care about their local kids (ours is the best and a really exceptional guy) but I can't get over the feeling that this is all just a business venture that I'm funding.  I don't know what you're all paying but for us it's $57 for nine holes and $67 for 18 plus the season fee.

I've been working on our schedule for next year and can't get past the expense of local, state and regional events.  And don't get me started on worlds which is really just an expensive vacation for most families.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Pinewood Golfer

Pinewood Golfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 471630
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

View Postleezer99, on 10 October 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

Are US Kids events just a money grab?  I get that local tournament directors actually care about their local kids (ours is the best and a really exceptional guy) but I can't get over the feeling that this is all just a business venture that I'm funding.  I don't know what you're all paying but for us it's $57 for nine holes and $67 for 18 plus the season fee.

I've been working on our schedule for next year and can't get past the expense of local, state and regional events.  And don't get me started on worlds which is really just an expensive vacation for most families.

My child has played on 3 different local tours. All of them have been $37 for 9 and $47 for 18. There is a $40 charge to join the tour each season.

#3 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:48 PM

So much of youth sports these days is either a money grab or being done for the wrong reasons.  I assumed my son would be playing IJGT events right now but they are $250-300 for 2 days plus a membership fee.  AJGA seems like that is going to be a fortune as soon as he is ready for that.

#4 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

I have talked about this in other threads on countless occasions.

Our US Kids Local is $40.00 for each season.  $37.00 for 9 holes and $47.00 for 18 holes.

US Kids State and Regionals are a waste of money.  I don't remember what the State costs, but $299.00 for a regional is outrageous for the level event it is.  The tee gifts are useless.  For $299.00 you should be getting two days of golf and a practice round thrown in.  As well, for that price, they should have water and snack stations every several holes and they do not.  You can play better events in California, Texas, and Florida with just regional and state kids than you can going to a regional event.  This not only holds true for US Kids, but AJGA and other tours as well.

Regionally, we have the SFPGA in South Florida which is $100.00 per event.  Kids get a sleeve of balls every event and they supply food at two holes and drinks on several.  Two days of golf at nice venues and practice rounds at $25.00.  Much better run events than US Kids including Worlds.

State wide we have the FJT which is run by the FSGA.  $95.00 if you have a GHIN handicap.  Tee gift and balls every tournament.  Food and water throughout the course.  2 days of golf and special rates on practice rounds.  Much better run events than US Kids including Worlds.

Now let's put into perspective the Price of AJGA.  $285 per event and you get 3 tournament rounds and a practice round.  You usually get a dozen balls, a towel, and some sort of hat.  Food and Water throughout the course.  Volunteers and officials all over the course.  They also have a medical person in attendance at the event.  AJGA events are spectacular in every way and cost less than a US Kids event.

I personally think that US Kids Regional and State events are a waste of time.  Mine played in two State events every other year with the Worlds on the off years.  The State event was not worth it.  The Worlds are worth every bit of the cost for 18 holers.  My opinion again, the 9 hole Worlds are useless and they are money makers for them.

If you have no aspiration to take your kid to the World Championship there is no reason to play in any US Kids event.  The only reason mine played was to get to go to the World Championship.  After they play the 12 year old World Championship there is no reason to ever play in US Kids again.  The teen Worlds isn't an event with a great number of good players to help a kids national ranking.  Better served playing in other events if they can get into them.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 11 October 2017 - 08:17 AM.

#5 darter79

darter79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:47 PM

It all depends on how you value it.  The local tour fee what drives me more crazy. $40 each season, and we play two in Texas. One fee per year like the PGA does what Id like to see happen. But at the end of the day they are there for profit, I think their entire point system is set up that way to ensure you play in more events.

The bigger ones I can say I have no experience as we haven't done those yet but plan to this upcoming year. They are expensive but the ones we plan on doing are going to be around where we can have a vacation on top of it otherwise I couldn't justify the cost of what we get out of it.  I understand why HH doesn't think they are worth it but its all in how you see the value to you, your son and your family.

#6 tiger1873

tiger1873

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

The local tournaments around here in North Texas for the most part are overpriced. Just like people have mentioned the US kids is kind of pricey but honestly one the better deals around here.  The local PGA (NTPJGA)  is the overpriced from what I can see.

We pay $70 for a one day tournament of 18 holes  some tournaments are $45 but there usually at the worst courses in the area and have 100 kids playing so you end up 6 or 7 hours for the round.  If you play a multi-day tournament it's $215.  The 9 hole tournaments are ok though because they only charge $35 but there usually at bad courses.

If decide  you want play the TJGT the cost goes up to $329 but the lower level is a better deal at $199. I been told the AGJA is the best deal and bang for buck around here an I tend to believe it.

I haven't added up the price to join the different associations either. I don't think I want to either because I usually pay it and forget about it.

#7 golfer55082

golfer55082

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433258
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:39 PM

The local PGA Junior Tour in Minnesota has $75 membership fee and $25 for each 18-hole events. This is for players of 13-18 year old and are normally played in average public golf courses. Many players play more than 10 events- it would be about $30 per game considering the one-time membership fee.

Better players (typically the best 3 games of the previous season has a score average of 7-over or better) can play invitation-only Player Tour. They are held in better courses. There is a one-time membership fee of $325 that covers 4 18-hole games and 1 36-hole two-day event. It’s pretty economical.

Edited by golfer55082, 10 October 2017 - 11:40 PM.

#8 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 853

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

View Postdarter79, on 10 October 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

It all depends on how you value it.  The local tour fee what drives me more crazy. $40 each season, and we play two in Texas. One fee per year like the PGA does what Id like to see happen. But at the end of the day they are there for profit, I think their entire point system is set up that way to ensure you play in more events.

The bigger ones I can say I have no experience as we haven't done those yet but plan to this upcoming year. They are expensive but the ones we plan on doing are going to be around where we can have a vacation on top of it otherwise I couldn't justify the cost of what we get out of it.  I understand why HH doesn't think they are worth it but its all in how you see the value to you, your son and your family.

I will rephrase what I said to be fair.

At a younger age US Kids Local Tours are well worth it.  It is the building block for what is going to happen in the future.  As they progress and get older it becomes time to weed them out.  Once they get to the ripe old mature age of 9/10 you should really begin branching out into other organizations if they are available to you.  We are spoiled in Florida because there are a lot of good players and many organizations trying to make a dime off of junior golf.  This keeps the price low as they are competing for the same kids often on the same weekends.  Of course, all of this really dependent on what age they start and how they have progressed.

Edited by heavy_hitter, 11 October 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#9 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,446 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 1348

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:28 AM

Our local tour charges $57 for 9 holers. Whereas the Coachella Valley tour only charges $37 for some phenomenal tracks.  We chose tournaments first by the quality of course and then by the competition.  Im trying to teach my son that he needs to go as low as possible at every tournament regardless of what his competition looks like.  Its always great to battle against and equally skilled or better player in your group, but this rarely happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors