Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Shipsticks.....Lower then Airlines Now?

38 replies to this topic

#31 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 1185

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 11 October 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

I've made 15-16 trips with my clubs, mostly transatlantic. One time I noticed a slight bend in a putter shaft when I returned, it was one of the teo times I used a soft cover instead of an SKB.

One return trip my clubs were delayed for several hours in Atlanta so I just went home and came back to get them the next day.

One damage, one slight delay in rougly 30 flights. No way ShipSticks is better than that.

I use a soft-sided travel bag and have never had a problem with bent clubs. I always put an old hockey shaft into it which is slightly longer than my driver to protect them.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 az2au

az2au

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 502

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

As I have mentioned before, literally 100’s of trips with my clubs including 29 different countries and the worst issue I’ve ever had is a one day delay.  Always a soft bag and never any extra care taken beyond using a stiff arm. This year alone my clubs have been to Bandon, Chicago, Ireland, Italy, France and Mexico with no problems.

So, yes, it does happen. Airlines do lose bags and sometimes bags get damaged but all of these extra precautions are like buying extended warranties. I’m a big believer in either buying them always or never. I’m a never guy and if something goes wrong then I’ll use the money saved to pay to rectify the situation but as of now I would have to have an extremely unlikely run of bad luck not to come out way ahead in life.

If you’re just not interested in carrying your clubs/will save money this way (OPB example) and for some reason trust these services more than the airlines then, sure, no problem. I’d wager a guess that the success rate difference between the two is statistically insignificant however.

#33 cowbomb02

cowbomb02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383544
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

peace of mind just check your own bag. also shipsticks is too expensive. plus if you're not staying at a hotel and go with a condo aka airbnb/vrbo route you wont be able to use shipsticks.

I know it'll be more work to bring your own sticks but you'll be more happy at the end of the day.

#34 cowbomb02

cowbomb02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383544
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

View Postaz2au, on 11 October 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

As I have mentioned before, literally 100’s of trips with my clubs including 29 different countries and the worst issue I’ve ever had is a one day delay.  Always a soft bag and never any extra care taken beyond using a stiff arm. This year alone my clubs have been to Bandon, Chicago, Ireland, Italy, France and Mexico with no problems.

So, yes, it does happen. Airlines do lose bags and sometimes bags get damaged but all of these extra precautions are like buying extended warranties. I’m a big believer in either buying them always or never. I’m a never guy and if something goes wrong then I’ll use the money saved to pay to rectify the situation but as of now I would have to have an extremely unlikely run of bad luck not to come out way ahead in life.

If you’re just not interested in carrying your clubs/will save money this way (OPB example) and for some reason trust these services more than the airlines then, sure, no problem. I’d wager a guess that the success rate difference between the two is statistically insignificant however.

woooooow. :good:

#35 Chef Otto

Chef Otto

I Surf Snow & Putt For Dough

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 145405
  • Ebay ID:masshle
GolfWRX Likes : 95

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Just went from Utah to Bandon.....Shipsticks wanted $70 ground each way. Delta for extra bag was $35 each way. Clubs flew with me.......

TaylorMade M2 9.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 7 42"
Adams DHy 18* Matrix White TIe
PING i200 4-PW PX 6.0
Vokey SM6 Black 50f-54m-58m KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 34"

#36 03ki11erag

03ki11erag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221783
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

I've actually heard more stories of ship sticks never making it to the intended destination than I have with lost or delayed airline bags.  Granted ship sticks pays for the rental set.

The only issue I had when flying with my set was when a big group of us flew from DFW to Phoenix for a Scottsdale trip on an American Airlines direct flight.  Our sticks were delayed until the next plane landed which was 45 minutes later.  Crazy to think that happened on a direct 1:45 minute flight.

#37 03ki11erag

03ki11erag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221783
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:45 PM

And FYI, Bandon will give you a light walking bag for your round if you ask so I would look into boxing up your clubs and shipping them.  You can do that for less than $70 round trip.

#38 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1338

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:47 PM

View PostChef Otto, on 22 October 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

Just went from Utah to Bandon.....Shipsticks wanted $70 ground each way. Delta for extra bag was $35 each way. Clubs flew with me.......

Shipsticks only makes sense if you need to ship your clubs when you aren't travelling.  I shipped mine back from Scotland because I wasn't flying back.  It was the best option.  I'm doing the same thing in Portugal next year.

#39 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,101 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3927

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:18 AM

View PostRoadking2003, on 24 October 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

View PostChef Otto, on 22 October 2017 - 05:11 PM, said:

Shipsticks only makes sense if you need to ship your clubs when you aren't travelling.  I shipped mine back from Scotland because I wasn't flying back.  It was the best option.  I'm doing the same thing in Portugal next year.

Yes that would be a huge benefit if you were doing like a week of golf followed by a week of non-golf tourism with the spouse or something like that.
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors