Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

No Catchy Nickname's bag of new and old

Mizuno V-steel MD2 Ping

34 replies to this topic

#1 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:26 AM

With some new irons and a new driver, I thought it was time to post a WiTB.
A bit about me. My driver SS is about 107-108mph, and I'm a digger who's trying to recover.
I'm a bit of a 'ho for older irons, and I'll try to get round to posting some of my irons from the 80s and 90s. The Ping driver has a stock Tour 65S. At the fitting, I knew pretty quickly it was the right shaft for me, though I tried others. The R9 has a stock Motore X flex. It's really light (62g), but relatively stable. I picked it up second hand, but it's the club that's been in my bag the longest.
The new setup:
Full set head covers.JPG
Full set with putter.JPG
This is with the R9 4w
Full set covers off.JPG
This is with the V-steel 4w, which got reshafted this year with the shaft shown below. Maybe too heavy for me.
V-steel 4w and 7w setup.JPG
V-steel 4w shaft:
V-steel 4w shaft.JPG
The V-steel 7w shaft is a winner. I love this club:
V-steel 7w shaft.JPG

I like the MD2 wedges a lot. I should probably get a picture of my little collection up (I've actually reduced it recently).
Wedges.JPG

Sometimes I bag a Honma utility 3i, which changes the setup:
Full set with 3i.JPG
3i Full set wedge set up.JPG
Utility 3i.JPG

Edited by No Catchy Nickname, 09 October 2017 - 07:27 AM.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 DE-ILLINI

DE-ILLINI

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181280
  • Joined: 05/16/2012
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:36 PM

That is a great looking bag.  Nice mix of old and new.

Edited by DE-ILLINI, 10 October 2017 - 08:17 PM.


2

#3 beluga99

beluga99

    If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132921
  • Joined: 07/13/2011
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

Yep, sweet bag.  How do you find playing golf in Japan?  Is it expensive since real estate is at a premium?  I suspect 24 hour driving ranges would also be common and fairly popular.
G400 9
917 F2
i25 5W
MC-18 4-P
Glide 50, 56, 60 ES
Yes!

3

#4 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

View Postbeluga99, on 09 October 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

Yep, sweet bag.  How do you find playing golf in Japan?  Is it expensive since real estate is at a premium?  I suspect 24 hour driving ranges would also be common and fairly popular.

It's not cheap. I'm a long way from Tokyo, where golf can get very expensive very quickly, but even so golf on a weekday around here will run you about $65~70, and on a weekend around $130. There are some cheaper courses, but they are over an hour's drive on the expressway, which means you have to pay a toll. Add the toll to the green fee, and you might as well stay local.
There aren't any 24-hour driving ranges near me, most of them close at 10pm. That's probably the worst thing about golf here: pretty much all the practice facilities are mats, not grass.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

4

#5 beluga99

beluga99

    If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132921
  • Joined: 07/13/2011
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes.  Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

G400 9
917 F2
i25 5W
MC-18 4-P
Glide 50, 56, 60 ES
Yes!

5

#6 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:47 PM

View Postbeluga99, on 09 October 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes.  Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.
Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.
I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

6

#7 Carp

Carp

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293975
  • Joined: 01/28/2014
  • Location:Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:10 AM

Damm it's hard to kick out those V-steels!
jus chillin

7

#8 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

View PostCarp, on 10 October 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

Damm it's hard to kick out those V-steels!

The V-steel 7w is a really solid performer. It feels great, and with the shaft I get the shot shape and distance I want from it.
I'm not sure about the 4w. Still tinkering with that. At the moment, the R9 has the spot. Though I should take a look at some other offerings. The Ping G400 fairways and some cobra offerings have my eye.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

8

#9 chriswrightstuff

chriswrightstuff

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251094
  • Joined: 05/17/2013
  • Location:UK
  • Ebay ID:8174david
GolfWRX Likes : 139

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

Those Mizuno irons are some of the best looking clubs I've ever seen, great addition ����
Taylormade M2 2017, 9.5* - Tour AD GP 7X black edition
Taylormade M1 HL - Kai'li 80X
Titleist 712u 18* - Project X 6.5
Titleist 718 AP3 3 - 4, 714 AP2 5-pw, - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM5 52F, 58K - KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport

WITB Link

9

#10 dciccoritti

dciccoritti

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 173476
  • Joined: 04/06/2012
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 1136

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Love the bag.

Always loved Roger's wedges. Played a few different models in the past.

Not sure why you'd want to hurt your scores with those sexy blades :-P

917 D2 | 718 MB | SM6 | FUTURA 5CB

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 sleepy_augusto

sleepy_augusto

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23909
  • Joined: 01/12/2007
  • Location:Nashville, TN
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

Nice set, and excellent headcover!

11

#12 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 15 October 2017 - 05:52 AM

View Postsleepy_augusto, on 12 October 2017 - 08:41 AM, said:

Nice set, and excellent headcover!

Thanks. I assume you're referring to my Kumamon headcover? It's a favourite of mine.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

12

#13 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:Indiana
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

I really like this set up dude! great job
Cobra f7+ 10.5 diamana whiteboard 63s
Cobra f7 15.5 diamana whiteboard 73s
Cobra f6 baffler 19 Matrix code 8
Bridgestone j38 3-P s300
Cleveland Rtx-3 52 tour raw, Rtx 2.0 58 Black satin
Ping redwood anser

13

#14 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

View PostHoosierHacker89, on 15 October 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

I really like this set up dude! great job

Thank you!
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

14

#15 williamsnrb

williamsnrb

    The Golf Doctor

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248361
  • Joined: 05/01/2013
  • Location:Memphis, TN
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 764

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

Those irons are so sweet, man. I feel like I'll end up with a set eventually. They are nearly perfect irons, IMO.


15

#16 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

Recently, I've decided to play a bit of persimmon golf as well. I mainly aimed for an Eighties' bag, which is when I took up the game, but the driver is later (mid nineties, I think), I don't know about the 4w, and the 2w is actually from the mid-Fifties. Also, I have no idea about the putter. I picked it up in a "recycle" shop for peanuts, but it feels really nice. I also have a Wilson TPA XVIII for this bag as well. I have owned the BeCu L-wedge hiding away there since I was a junior. The rest of the clubs were bought this year.
Woods.JPG
Wood Bros Corker face.JPG
Mac M85 EOM 2w face.JPG
Eighties set Mizuno Warrior 4w face_2.JPG
Eighties set Mizuno Warrior 4w crown.JPG

The irons here are Mac Muirfields. I bought a 1-SW set that was seemingly unhit earlier this year, but I have six or seven sets from the Eighties and early Nineties that I could use, including Muirfield 20ths and Honma PP737s (seen in the background of the 4w picture).
Persimmon set irons.JPG
Mac irons 2i.JPG
The Muirfield sand wedge is OK, but I prefer the one from my Ram Pro Tour Camber Sole set, which has been reshafted with a DG S400 (+1/2").
Golden Ram SW.JPG
Putters:
Daiwa Bullseye putter.JPG
Wilson TPA XVIII backnside.JPG

The Driver, when hit right, is long. Really, really long. I get better run out on it than my modern G400. The 2w has yet to see the course, but at the range it's getting about 250 on good hits. The 4w is really easy to hit, and goes about 220, maybe a tad more off the tee.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

16

#17 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 23752

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:28 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 06 December 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

Recently, I've decided to play a bit of persimmon golf as well. I mainly aimed for an Eighties' bag, which is when I took up the game, but the driver is later (mid nineties, I think), I don't know about the 4w, and the 2w is actually from the mid-Fifties. Also, I have no idea about the putter. I picked it up in a "recycle" shop for peanuts, but it feels really nice. I also have a Wilson TPA XVIII for this bag as well. I have owned the BeCu L-wedge hiding away there since I was a junior. The rest of the clubs were bought this year.
Attachment Woods.JPG
Attachment Wood Bros Corker face.JPG
Attachment Mac M85 EOM 2w face.JPG
Attachment Eighties set Mizuno Warrior 4w face_2.JPG
Attachment Eighties set Mizuno Warrior 4w crown.JPG

The irons here are Mac Muirfields. I bought a 1-SW set that was seemingly unhit earlier this year, but I have six or seven sets from the Eighties and early Nineties that I could use, including Muirfield 20ths and Honma PP737s (seen in the background of the 4w picture).
Attachment Persimmon set irons.JPG
Attachment Mac irons 2i.JPG
The Muirfield sand wedge is OK, but I prefer the one from my Ram Pro Tour Camber Sole set, which has been reshafted with a DG S400 (+1/2").
Attachment Golden Ram SW.JPG
Putters:
Attachment Daiwa Bullseye putter.JPG
Attachment Wilson TPA XVIII backnside.JPG

The Driver, when hit right, is long. Really, really long. I get better run out on it than my modern G400. The 2w has yet to see the course, but at the range it's getting about 250 on good hits. The 4w is really easy to hit, and goes about 220, maybe a tad more off the tee.
Trust me you will like the Mac 2 wood--- I actually put my Muirfields in the front line bag for this week but we have really gotten nasty cold wet weather this weekend so no golf. Really went retro in the wedge department dug out a 65 Wilson Staff Triple Duty. Did practice with the wedge last Sunday afternoon after church and got it weighted up for me as you know from my posts I like extremely heavy sand wedges. Oh well hopefully next weekend
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
5 wood Adams Super S 18* Bassara Regular flex
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)
SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School Titleist Stand bag about 10 or 12 years old

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops
Vintage for now
P-40 Macgregor Super Eye O Matic 2 wood
3 wood Macgregor 945W
1 iron 1967 Spalding Top Flite
Irons 3 thru PW 1990 Hogan Grind
SW-- 1965 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 56*
Putter (for now) Acushnet 35 R Standard Bulls Eye
Bag Old School Burton PGA / Pepsi red white and blue

17

#18 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

    Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Joined: 01/16/2007
  • Location:Boise, from St. Louis
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 932

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:04 PM

Dig it, love every picture in this thread :)
SLDR TP 8.5° - Attas 5 GoGo
Srixon zU65 18° - ADDI 95
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24° - C Taper
Adams MB2 Torched - C Taper
Cobra Tour Trusty 50° - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 55° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
ProType 2-Ball

My WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c...e/#entry2280019

18

#19 cardoustie

cardoustie

    haha, we don't play for 5's

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:Tasmania to Canada
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 5628

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

great bag and set up sir

I think you need two things:

- the sushi headcover from Robert Mark Golf
- lime green paintfill on the wedges to match your bag
TaylorMade '16 M2 11* Fuji Motore 6.2x
Callaway GBB 3w 14* Diamana BB 63x
Callaway GBB 5w 17* Fubuki Tour 73x
Callaway Apex 4h MCC MFS 85HB Orange x
Callaway Apex 5h Matrix Red Tie Altus x
Titleist '18 T-MB's 6-PW Nippon Modus Tour 105x
Titleist Vokey SM2 50* dgs400
Titleist Vokey SM2 TVD 54*M dgs400
Titleist Vokey SM2 TVD 59*M dgs400
Scotty Cameron X7M

19

#20 voxshall

voxshall

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480134
  • Joined: 08/25/2017
  • Location:NZ
  • Handicap:20
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Your bag is pretty much, bang on what I wish mine was ha ha


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 11 December 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

great bag and set up sir

I think you need two things:

- the sushi headcover from Robert Mark Golf
- lime green paintfill on the wedges to match your bag

Just had a look at that head cover... :good:  

The bag has changed since that picture. The inner tube was knackered somehow and the damn thing kept falling over. The new one can be just about seen in the persimmon setup. It's a Honma bag, with a gimmicky strap that works like a seatbelt: pull it out to lift the bag up, then when you put the bag down, the strap automatically retracts for storage. I honestly don't see the point of it, but it's a good solid bag otherwise with lots of storage.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

21

#22 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:53 PM

View Postvoxshall, on 11 December 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Your bag is pretty much, bang on what I wish mine was ha ha

Hey, you've got Miuras in yours, you're not doing too badly! And the Hiro Matsumoto putter is top notch. Plus you have a V-steel in there. Get the right shaft for that, then enjoy the sweet, sweet feel of a nutted V-steel.
I will say that I prefer the G400 over the G driver, mainly just because of the acoustics. I seriously considered going for the G earlier this year and dropping the G20 which I bagged for about 5 years, but I couldn't get over how loud the G was. When I hit the G400, I knew it was time to say goodbye to old faithful G20 at last *sob*.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

22

#23 PixlPutterman

PixlPutterman

    Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish)

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24110
  • Joined: 01/16/2007
  • Location:Boise, from St. Louis
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:MikesChevelle
GolfWRX Likes : 932

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....
SLDR TP 8.5° - Attas 5 GoGo
Srixon zU65 18° - ADDI 95
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24° - C Taper
Adams MB2 Torched - C Taper
Cobra Tour Trusty 50° - S300
Cobra Tour Trusty 55° - S300
Nike Engage DS 60° - S300
ProType 2-Ball

My WITB
http://www.golfwrx.c...e/#entry2280019

23

#24 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 12 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

View PostPixlPutterman, on 12 December 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.
I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

24

#25 nsgolfer17

nsgolfer17

    Club Hoe

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293427
  • Joined: 01/25/2014
  • Location:Rockville, Maryland
  • Handicap:+2.6
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:42 PM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 12 December 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

View PostPixlPutterman, on 12 December 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.
I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.

Get a 4 iron in the Fli Hi MP18 they're sweet!

Taylormade M2 '17 10.5* w/Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 05 Flex (X Flex)
Taylormade M2 Tour '17 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD BB7x
Taylormade M1 '17 Rescue 19* w/ Project X HZRDUS BLACK HANDCRAFTED 6.5
or P790 3 iron bent to 20.5 with Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff tipped 2''
or M1 '17 5 Wood 19* w/ Tour AD GP7x Black Edition
Taylormade P790 4 Iron w/ C-Taper Lite 115X
Taylormade P750 Tour Proto 5-PW w/C-Taper Lite 115X
Taylormade Milled Grind  52, 56, 60 w/ Tour Issue Dynamic Gold S400
Odyssey O Works Black 3T 35"
WITB LINK:http://www.golfwrx.c...-updated-82217/

25

#26 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 12 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

View Postnsgolfer17, on 12 December 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 12 December 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

View PostPixlPutterman, on 12 December 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.
I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.
Get a 4 iron in the Fli Hi MP18 they're sweet!

I have demoed one, and really liked it. In fact, I was thinking about a #4 and maybe even a #2. Until recently I had a Honma TW-U #4, but I found I was just using the normal 4i so I sold it. Still have the #3 that can be seen in some of the pictures at the top. But recently I've been thinking that for 215-225y, a steel shafted 24* hybrid would be best.
Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

26

#27 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 23752

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:23 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 09 October 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

View Postbeluga99, on 09 October 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes.  Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.
Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.
I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."
It is mostly the same way here with memberships you pay greens fees. I have done something different for the coming year. I had won a free membership to a group of courses so I activated that and we still pay greens fees but at a reduced rate. Down here you hardly see set greens fees posted because a lot depends on what package plan folks visited and booked on.
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
5 wood Adams Super S 18* Bassara Regular flex
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)
SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School Titleist Stand bag about 10 or 12 years old

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops
Vintage for now
P-40 Macgregor Super Eye O Matic 2 wood
3 wood Macgregor 945W
1 iron 1967 Spalding Top Flite
Irons 3 thru PW 1990 Hogan Grind
SW-- 1965 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 56*
Putter (for now) Acushnet 35 R Standard Bulls Eye
Bag Old School Burton PGA / Pepsi red white and blue

27

#28 BIG STU

BIG STU

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,261 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Garden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 23752

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:25 AM

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 12 December 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

View Postnsgolfer17, on 12 December 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 12 December 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

View PostPixlPutterman, on 12 December 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

How is the distance gap between the 7 wood and the 4 iron. Seems like those should be pretty close....

The 7w is long. In fact, it is pushing up rather than down in terms of gapping, as it's forcing the 4w out for a strong 3w that will mainly be used off the tee. I've got about a 20y gap between the 4i and 7w, maybe more. That spot is actually the hardest I have to fill, and I have tried all sorts of combinations. If I take out a wedge and stick in a 3i, it's filled pretty well, but to be honest, there aren't many times I really need to worry about it. Maybe once every 3 rounds.
I recently bought a V-steel 9w (original version) to help fill the 7w-4i gap, but a 24* hybrid in place of the 4i might be the best option.
Get a 4 iron in the Fli Hi MP18 they're sweet!

I have demoed one, and really liked it. In fact, I was thinking about a #4 and maybe even a #2. Until recently I had a Honma TW-U #4, but I found I was just using the normal 4i so I sold it. Still have the #3 that can be seen in some of the pictures at the top. But recently I've been thinking that for 215-225y, a steel shafted 24* hybrid would be best.
I sorta like the 24 hybrid myself. I had been playing an old TM early Rescue but found an Adams last week that I hit good on the range. We will see how that goes but I always have my V-Steel 7&9 woods just in case
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
3 Wood Adams Super S 15* Bassara Regular flex
5 wood Adams Super S 18* Bassara Regular flex
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex shafts (yeah real Hogan shafts when Hogan was Hogan)
SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400
LW Cleveland 588 60* S-400
Putter - Scotty Santa Fe 1997 vintage rusty as heck nicknamed "Rusty"
Bag Old School Titleist Stand bag about 10 or 12 years old

Founding Father of the Outlaw Golf Association Member #1 To heck with the USGA
Redneck Hippie Golf-- When the tailgate drops the BS stops
Vintage for now
P-40 Macgregor Super Eye O Matic 2 wood
3 wood Macgregor 945W
1 iron 1967 Spalding Top Flite
Irons 3 thru PW 1990 Hogan Grind
SW-- 1965 Wilson Staff Triple Duty 56*
Putter (for now) Acushnet 35 R Standard Bulls Eye
Bag Old School Burton PGA / Pepsi red white and blue

28

#29 Fellaheen51

Fellaheen51

    Go Green!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284154
  • Joined: 11/14/2013
  • Location:Michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 11837

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:47 AM

Nice bags Catchy, especially the classic bag of wood and steel.  I've come to enjoy reading your exploits with golf implements.  

I've been contemplating assembling a classic bag of MacGregors.  To stand alongside the Hogans.  Have grown rather infatuated with Muirfields.  If memory serves, you have both Muirfields and Muirfield 20th's?  If you had to pick one, and only one, which would you choose?  Or are they similar enough that it doesn't make much difference.  A decision made based on condition and price between the two.  Depending on what I find, would probably perform a reshaft to my preferred weight and length.  

Have a M/T M43 2 wood and M/T T.A. 693 5 wood blocks to cover that end of the bag.  Thinking 5 - PW of whatever Muirfields.  Plethora of wedges to pick from.  And the Muirfield putter to place into service.  Just a fun bag of MacGregors to play on occasion.  You know, something different.  TIA.  

You now what I think of the V-Steels.  Big fan.  They've kicked to the curb all other fairway metals and hybrids in the modern bag.  The 9 is very easy to hit, versatile, and fills the distance requirement that I'm after perfectly.  But that's just me, with my less than perfect "old guy" swing.  

Edit add:  Now I read that you've come into a set of TM-92's.  You've got a problem there mate.  Ha!!  Look forward to the pics.

Edited by Fellaheen51, 13 December 2017 - 05:04 AM.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

29

#30 No Catchy Nickname

No Catchy Nickname

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383010
  • Joined: 06/28/2015
  • Location:Kyushu, Japan
  • Handicap:me
GolfWRX Likes : 4187

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostBIG STU, on 13 December 2017 - 04:23 AM, said:

View PostNo Catchy Nickname, on 09 October 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

View Postbeluga99, on 09 October 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

A couple of friends are based in Singapore and Hong Kong, and they lament the fact it's not easy to just pick up the bag and go and play a few holes.  Although when they catch a ferry out to the islands and play on nice courses with attractive "caddies" and a lot of cold beer, it does sound very appealing!

Yep, the idea of just popping to the course for a quick 9 does not seem to exist here.
Also, when I played in Britain, golf was free if you were a member of that course/club. Here, you become a member and you still have to pay a green fee, it's just less than the guests. I don't know if there are any exceptions to that in Japan.
I imagine from Singapore, Malaysia is relatively easy to get to golf. Though I'm not sure they would have the--ahem--attractive "caddies."
It is mostly the same way here with memberships you pay greens fees. I have done something different for the coming year. I had won a free membership to a group of courses so I activated that and we still pay greens fees but at a reduced rate. Down here you hardly see set greens fees posted because a lot depends on what package plan folks visited and booked on.

Really? That surprised me, as I always thought the US would have a similar system to the UK. I suspect, then, that Japan's membership/green-fee system is somewhat influenced by the US.
I think the UK is changing a bit, as a club my dad joined as a social member was offering several different types of membership. When I was a junior, there were only two types of membership for adult males: Full and Five-day (reduced green-fee on weekends). Full meant full playing privileges. Ladies had a reduced membership, and had priority on Tuesdays (they hated us juniors playing on Tuesdays in the holidays!). The course my Dad joined did away with a special Ladies's fee, and seemed to basically offer three or four different types of adult membership according to when members wanted to play. Not a bad system, especially as with more women working, having Tuesday as Ladies' Day is a bit anachronistic. Thinking about it, it was already anachronistic even in the Eighties.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
4w: TaylorMade V-steel, AD-GT 6X
7w  TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
Driving Iron: Honma TW-U Forged #3, Modus 120S
Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP18 PX6.0 @ + 1/2"   
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* S and 58* (U, S, or T-Grind depending on how I feel)                    
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 or Wilson TPA XVIII

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors