Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Black Hawk Country Club and Shadow Hawk in Richmond

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lowndes

lowndes

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127537
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Is anybody currently a member or played out here recently.  These have historically been excellent courses in the area but curious how they have been since Escalante acquired them.

Thanks

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 txeconomist

txeconomist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80753
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:42 PM

Never played them but heard good things about both. Nice thing about Blackhawk is you get privalidges with Golf Club of Houston I think. Imagine Shadowhawk is nicer but is significantly more expensive no? Whats the initiation at Shadowhawk $75k+?

Edited by txeconomist, 08 October 2017 - 08:01 PM.

#3 Brizam

Brizam

#theWRX

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117043
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

I have played both several times.  Blackhawk pretty good its very playable.  Shadowhawk is def the better of the two. Unfortunately Shadowhawk has had some issues over the past couple of years.  They recently replaced the greens and are now in the process of replacing some if not all of the fairways, due to flooding from Harvey.

Edited by Brizam, 09 October 2017 - 07:44 AM.

Instagram

#4 defnotapro

defnotapro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413146
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

Fore the record, Blackhorse is also and Escalante course. You get playing privileges at Blackhawk and GCOH at a reduced fee ($50 if I remember right). Don't Remember if Shadowhawk was included in playing privileges or not but didn't think so.

#5 28tosssweep

28tosssweep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413354
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:28tosssweep
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Belonged to Shadow Hawk for about 10 years and really enjoyed it. Then Escalante bought it and things changed. Iíve moved on.

#6 pmizell

pmizell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420858
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:pmizell
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

I’m a Shadow Hawk member.  It’s true, we have relatively new mini verde greens and they are currently in great shape.  All of the bunkers are being renovated due to Harvey, and that process is underway.   A few fairways had brown patches from standing water and they've been repaired with new grass. None of the repairs are in important landing areas.

When the new owner first arrived there were issues, but we now have a first-rate superintendent, Brent Schilhab, and the membership is happy. Everyone loves our pro, Ricky Lyons (we miss Paul Marchand but Ricky is a worthy successor). And Clabron Johnson is the undisputed best locker room manager in maybe the world. The club is in a good place right now.

I played Black Hawk a couple of weeks ago and it’s in great shape except for the bunkers due to hurricane.  Both courses are Rees Jones designs but very different.  SH is a classic design with small-ish elevated greens. Lots of big pecan trees. Black Hawk has fewer trees, larger greens, and lots of mounding. More links-like.  Water in play on most holes.

#7 jflores8

jflores8

Houston GolfWRX

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133905
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted Yesterday, 04:09 PM

Blackhawk is a fun course, 16,17 and 18 are some really good finishing holes.  Have not played Shadow Hawk but it is one of the more cream of the crop on the southwest side of town.  I believe membership at Shadow Hawk gets you Black Hawk, GCOH, and BlackHorse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors