Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Web.com Q School Oct. 10

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 483 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401370
GolfWRX Likes : 421

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:57 PM

The first stage of Q-School starts on Wednesday.  There weren't many familiar names I saw at venues I checked.  Does anybody have any favorites, predictions, dark horses, or is there by chance anyone in the forum that will be giving it a go?  We'd love to hear from you.  I had a look at the entry form and the details were interesting.  Here comes another crop of unknown great players on their way to the big show.

Taylormade M2 Driver 9.5*- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Callaway XR Pro 16* 4 Metal- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
Ping G 22*-4 Hybrid- Altus S
Ping G 26*-5 Hybrid- Altus S
Bridgestone J15MB 5-PW Nippon Modus3 S +1"
Callaway MD-3 Black Milled Wedges-KBS Tour Custom S
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
Odyssey Versa 7 Counterbalanced 38"- Odyssey SuperStroke CB Tank Grip
Golf Pride MCC +4 Grips (+3 wraps build up tape)
Snell MTB/ Bridgestone Tour B330
MG Elite Glove
Eliott Alistair Leather Bag

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Volinky

Volinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305531
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:45 PM

Too early to tell, but I am all in on Zach Zaback a stage one winner.

#3 McCann1

McCann1

Tour Player

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 410936
  • Ebay ID:igolfandguitar
GolfWRX Likes : 1306

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:47 AM

Headed to Nevada as I type this. Playing at Dayton Valley
Enjoy the chase.

#4 OutBackHack

OutBackHack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296687
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:56 AM

https://pgatq.bluego...edule/index.htm

#5 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 636

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:12 AM

McCann1, on 08 October 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

good luck, keep us appraised

#6 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 4834

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:31 AM

First stage started last week.

#7 Poser

Poser

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144057
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

Jordan Speeth, on 07 October 2017 - 10:57 PM, said:

The first stage of Q-School starts on Wednesday.  There weren't many familiar names I saw at venues I checked.  Does anybody have any favorites, predictions, dark horses, or is there by chance anyone in the forum that will be giving it a go?  We'd love to hear from you.  I had a look at the entry form and the details were interesting.  Here comes another crop of unknown great players on their way to the big show.

Actually already started last week.

#8 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Advanced

• 483 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:42 AM

McCann1, on 08 October 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

Best of luck to you.  Keep it on the short stuff.
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
MG Elite Glove

#9 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Advanced

• 483 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:55 AM

Poser, on 08 October 2017 - 06:53 AM, said:

That was pre-qualifying for those not exempt.  To be honest, not many of those guys get through.  That's really playing the lottery IMO.  Putting up nearly $10K+ (with expenses) to make it through is a lot of dosh for such a long shot.  Golf is hard, especially at that level.  I was at Napa earlier in the week and saw all the shell shocked faces who just made it through the web.  It sure isn't the sh*ts and giggles it is when the top 20 are around.  These guys are playing for survival (i.e.. Keith Mitchell).  He didn't look too relaxed to me.  It's hard not to feel sorry for the young guys trying to make it with how good they are.  It takes a lot of game and lots of guts to give that thing a go.  Outside the top 150 on the PGA Tour is a tough way to make a living.
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
MG Elite Glove

#10 OutBackHack

OutBackHack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296687
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Jordan Speeth, on 08 October 2017 - 08:55 AM, said:

That was pre-qualifying for those not exempt.  To be honest, not many of those guys get through.  That's really playing the lottery IMO.  Putting up nearly $10K+ (with expenses) to make it through is a lot of dosh for such a long shot.  Golf is hard, especially at that level.  I was at Napa earlier in the week and saw all the shell shocked faces who just made it through the web.  It sure isn't the sh*ts and giggles it is when the top 20 are around.  These guys are playing for survival (i.e.. Keith Mitchell).  He didn't look too relaxed to me.  It's hard not to feel sorry for the young guys trying to make it with how good they are.  It takes a lot of game and lots of guts to give that thing a go.  Outside the top 150 on the PGA Tour is a tough way to make a living.

Maybe check the link earlier in this thread. 1st stage started last week, this is the 2nd week of 1st stage.

And Keith Mitchell makes coffee look nervous, he never looks comfortable on a golf course.

You're correct about pre quals not getting thru though.. After a quick look I think only 1 player that got thru pre qual last year actually got some consistent starts on the Web this year.

Edited by OutBackHack, 08 October 2017 - 09:11 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

I think it would be pretty tough life your outside the top 75 on pga tour, top 50 euro or outside top 100 owgr. Unless you have multiple wins in ur career. Expenses add up quick
Driver: PING i25 9.5*; Fujikura Fuel TS 60-Stiff
3 wood: Titleist 915Fd 13.5; Aldila Rouge Black 80-X
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya ProForce VTS 100HX
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-6, CB 7-9: KBS Tour C-Taper X (loft: 22, 26, 30, 35, 40, 45)
Wedges: Scratch 1018 49*, 53*, 57*; KBS Tour C-Taper S+ (49), S300 (53, 57)
Maltby Custom Grind 59*; True Temper Tour 100-Stiff (Combination of Miura K (except 5 knuckles) and PM Grind)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB5; Super Stroke GP Tour (I have backups)
Ball: ProV1x
Grip: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Red (3 wraps bottom, 3 wraps middle, 2 wrap over that)
Bag: Jones Original

#12 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 14,495 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

Last week absolutely was First stage, 5 sites played last week.  Had 7 students playing and a few more this week.

#13 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 14,495 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

Santiago Golf, on 08 October 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I think it would be pretty tough life your outside the top 75 on pga tour, top 50 euro or outside top 100 owgr. Unless you have multiple wins in ur career. Expenses add up quick

Plenty of guys outside of top 100 in the world making millions.  76-150 on PGA tour money list all make a million dollars, or very close.   They arenít going hungry and can live quite well.  Their endorsement deals more than cover all their expenses

#14 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

I Strive to make you Better

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

iteachgolf, on 08 October 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Santiago Golf, on 08 October 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Plenty of guys outside of top 100 in the world making millions.  76-150 on PGA tour money list all make a million dollars, or very close.   They aren’t going hungry and can live quite well.  Their endorsement deals more than cover all their expenses
I agree on endorsement deals covering expenses and you would have more insight than me with the guys you coach. These guys are extremely fourtane to living the life they live but they all worked extremely hard to get there
Driver: PING i25 9.5*; Fujikura Fuel TS 60-Stiff
3 wood: Titleist 915Fd 13.5; Aldila Rouge Black 80-X
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya ProForce VTS 100HX
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-6, CB 7-9: KBS Tour C-Taper X (loft: 22, 26, 30, 35, 40, 45)
Wedges: Scratch 1018 49*, 53*, 57*; KBS Tour C-Taper S+ (49), S300 (53, 57)
Maltby Custom Grind 59*; True Temper Tour 100-Stiff (Combination of Miura K (except 5 knuckles) and PM Grind)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design MB5; Super Stroke GP Tour (I have backups)
Ball: ProV1x
Grip: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Red (3 wraps bottom, 3 wraps middle, 2 wrap over that)
Bag: Jones Original

#15 snizzle

snizzle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442582
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Actually this will be the third and final week of first stage.  We get progressively more sites each. Without checking the link there might be 7 or so first stage locations this week.

A couple of stud college kids at the first stage level (Sam Horsfield, Wyndham Clark, etc) but many of these guys at first stage don't sniff a round on the web tour.  Guys chasing their dreams and paying the price to do so.  Most of the so called "name" guys you will start to see in the second stage. (Guys that got exemptions thru Mackenzie/Latin America Tours, guys that finished 151-200 on the PGA and bombed at the web playoffs, guys that finished just outside the top 75 on last season's web reg season, etc).  At the Final stage tournament you will then see the guys who made it thru the first 2 stages who will all basically get some status even if it's conditional (also guys who finished top 10 in Mackenzie, Latin America, China tours, etc).

#16 jdl

jdl

Masshole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272218
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 205

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Will be following along to check on the Illini's Charlie Danielson and of course GolfWRX's Chad McCann. Recognized some other names in the field from following college golf, Big Break and others trying to make their way onto the big stage.

#17 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Advanced

• 483 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:45 PM

OutBackHack, on 08 October 2017 - 09:05 AM, said:

Maybe check the link earlier in this thread. 1st stage started last week, this is the 2nd week of 1st stage.

And Keith Mitchell makes coffee look nervous, he never looks comfortable on a golf course.

You're correct about pre quals not getting thru though.. After a quick look I think only 1 player that got thru pre qual last year actually got some consistent starts on the Web this year.

Well noted...thanks.  I was thinking that since everyone I know was exempt for those stages, that it started on Wednesday.  Regardless of stage, this is about as daunting a prospect as winning a Tour event it seems.  You've got to get through a LOT of good players and a good number of them will be "in the groove" timing-wise and shooting very low.  I don't think any of them will be sleeping very soundly until it's all over.  And the Web is the minor league......
52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
MG Elite Glove

#18 md1m

md1m

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:09 AM

I noticed Ty Tryon didn't make it out of the first stage.
Clubs are fluid

#19 jholz

jholz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151611
  • Handicap:7.4
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:10 AM

Dru Love from St. Simons Island and Robert Mize from Columbus, GA are playing at the Pine Mountain site. Those sound like some famous golf names.

Q-school is always awesome in west Georgia and East Alabama. Between all the various sites, I got to see the pre-qualifying or first stage every year I lived in the area. Amazing golf.

Edited by jholz, 12 October 2017 - 10:11 AM.

Cobra S9-1 Pro S 9.5* - Stock Stiff 44"
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Vokey Design 200 Series 52* Stock Wedge (?)
Cleveland CG15 Oilcan 56* Stock Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

#20 Jordan Speeth

Jordan Speeth

Advanced

• 483 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

snizzle, on 08 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Actually this will be the third and final week of first stage.  We get progressively more sites each. Without checking the link there might be 7 or so first stage locations this week.

A couple of stud college kids at the first stage level (Sam Horsfield, Wyndham Clark, etc) but many of these guys at first stage don't sniff a round on the web tour.  Guys chasing their dreams and paying the price to do so.  Most of the so called "name" guys you will start to see in the second stage. (Guys that got exemptions thru Mackenzie/Latin America Tours, guys that finished 151-200 on the PGA and bombed at the web playoffs, guys that finished just outside the top 75 on last season's web reg season, etc).  At the Final stage tournament you will then see the guys who made it thru the first 2 stages who will all basically get some status even if it's conditional (also guys who finished top 10 in Mackenzie, Latin America, China tours, etc).

A young friend of mine made it through this First Stage and he has never been one for having nerves affect his game negatively....until now.  He played well and was fortunate to have had lots of wiggle room in the final round because he sort of sh%t the bed (for him).  He's one of those young guys who starts making eagles and birdies when he gets nervous.  Now it's getting real, and the quality of the field is waaaay better than anything they've ever seen in college or even high level Am events.  I'd say that the nerves would be comparable to US Open qualifying, but that's not even this big.  You always get another shot at that but this is a high-level job interview and, if you don't make it, you don't have a job.....better luck next year.  Wow... back to waiting tables or whatever.

52*S-Grind- 10* bounce
56*W-Grind-12*bounce
60* S-Grind-9*bounce
MG Elite Glove

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors