Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Played the AVX today


138 replies to this topic

#121 Homerun2Birdie

Homerun2Birdie

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 408438
  • Joined: 01/11/2016
  • Location:Wilmington, NC
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostGuia, on 08 November 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

It may not be the same, but it is consistent.  Not aware  of any pro, top amateur, or manufacturer that does not use trackman or the like, that is a fact!
Order some and hit it on a trackman bud. Your access to a sleeve of these balls off eBay is probably as good if not better than most members have to a trackman. No need to get on the people here providing their on course reviews, as it is quite frankly much more than you will find elsewhere. Numbers are great, but compiling reviews based upon others opinions should at least give you a high level snap shot to make a decision off of. In the end I would hope you and others are not basing your game ball decisions solely off of the Trackman numbers of others, but rather how that ball performs for you both on the course and on the launch monitor should you have easy access to one.

- TM

DRIVER: Ping G400 LST 8.5°– Fujikura ATMOS Blue 7X
3 WOOD: TaylorMade M2 Tour 15°– Fujikura ATMOS Blue 8X
5 WOOD: Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5° - Aldila Tour Green 95 X-Stiff
3 IRON: Callaway Apex UT 21° - N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
IRONS (4-P): Cobra King Pro - N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
WEDGES: Scor 4161 52° + Vokey Low Bounce K 58° - N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
PUTTER: Odyssey Versa Rossie

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#122 Guia

Guia

    Ancient Dude

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Joined: 10/28/2009
  • Location:Southwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1870

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

I have a dozen from AZ and will put them in play on Monday.

2

#123 Leftofleft

Leftofleft

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 451658
  • Joined: 01/14/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:10 AM

Played the AVX. Pretty unremarkable, reminds me of the Bridgestone 330rx and rxs -- short irons perhaps a bit farther than most tour balls due to less spin, some goofy mid iron shots that felt like flyers.

I'm partial to chrome soft x, but I'd also rather play the srixon xv or Bridgestone bxs over these.

I accidentally got the yellow AVX, which has an odd pearlescent look.

3

#124 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3825

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

View Postkjrules, on 13 October 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Played a round with it- I really like it- it feels tad firmer than chrome soft with b330s cover- they are soft enough if you go back hitting pro v you will notice big difference in compression. Great driving ball - definitely lower traj and better into or in cross wind- the cover looks really shiny and it held up well in wedge shots, I had to adjust my wedge shots because half shots went further like 5 to 7yards. Love the feel off the putter and irons- with driver feel is in between chome soft and x- distance was little further than pro v i think because of the lower spin ans roll out- they also give yoi $20 gift card if you answer their survey on line- first 500 or so. If they launch this ball at 39.99 it would be home run for titlest and headache for callaway
But we all know that won't happen so Cally can relax.

4

#125 alexdub

alexdub

    "Don't check out of your hotel Rocco"

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263710
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:SLC
GolfWRX Likes : 444

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:53 AM

I put the AVX into play yesterday. Pro shops here in Utah are starting to have them in stock, and I picked up a sleeve of the yellow to try out. I played a few other balls along side of it (Chrome Soft X & 2017 Pro V/X).

So as to not bury the lead --- nothing about the AVX was that remarkable. I really enjoyed the ball, and could see myself putting it into play if they go to retail, but only because of the color.

Hardness: It was noticeably was harder than the CSx and Pro V. Hardness was much closer to the ProV X, not quite the same. AVX has a different pitch off the putter and driver than Pro Vx. To me it felt great. I like a golf ball on the firm side, and that's where this one is.

Tee Shots: Loved the AVX from the tee. It was a lot less spinny than the Pro V/x, and I always seemed to find straighter drives with the AVX. Distance wasn't amazing though. CSx and Pro Vx definitely went further. But the AVX seemed to be a fairway finder. It's low launching and doesn't have a lot of action to it. Plus, the bright yellow was really easy to track in the air.

Wedges: For me the AVX was the worst of the 4 balls on approach wedges and green side wedges. AVX was running out 5-10ft, while I was getting drop and stop with the other 3 balls. Note: it was 40* outside when I played yesterday. Greens were so cold nothing was checking back.

Durability: This is a really durable ball. Much more so the the other 3 balls I played it against. I was in 2 bunkers with the AVX, and hit about 10 full approach wedges. After the round, I cleaned the ball up and it literally looked the same as the other 2 balls in the sleeve that weren't touched. Everyone knows what 18 holes with a Pro V looks like.

Color: I love the yellow Titleist used for the AVX. I'm a yellow ball player and usually roll with the Srixon XV. Srixon yellow is pretty good. Callaway CSx yellow sucks. But the AVX yellow is awesome. Not only is the yellow much brighter than others, it has a pearly-ish finish that really looks good in the sun. It's bright, which I like.

Edited by alexdub, 17 November 2017 - 03:58 AM.

  Callaway XR16 Pro 9*
  Ping i25 15*
  Ping i25 5-GW
  Ping Glide 54* & 60*

  Ping Eye 2 BeCu 57*
  Ping WRX Anser 2
  Pro V1 / Z Star XV / Chrome Soft X

5

#126 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 390

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

View Postalexdub, on 17 November 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

I put the AVX into play yesterday. Pro shops here in Utah are starting to have them in stock, and I picked up a sleeve of the yellow to try out. I played a few other balls along side of it (Chrome Soft X & 2017 Pro V/X).

So as to not bury the lead --- nothing about the AVX was that remarkable. I really enjoyed the ball, and could see myself putting it into play if they go to retail, but only because of the color.

Hardness: It was noticeably was harder than the CSx and Pro V. Hardness was much closer to the ProV X, not quite the same. AVX has a different pitch off the putter and driver than Pro Vx. To me it felt great. I like a golf ball on the firm side, and that's where this one is.

Tee Shots: Loved the AVX from the tee. It was a lot less spinny than the Pro V/x, and I always seemed to find straighter drives with the AVX. Distance wasn't amazing though. CSx and Pro Vx definitely went further. But the AVX seemed to be a fairway finder. It's low launching and doesn't have a lot of action to it. Plus, the bright yellow was really easy to track in the air.

Wedges: For me the AVX was the worst of the 4 balls on approach wedges and green side wedges. AVX was running out 5-10ft, while I was getting drop and stop with the other 3 balls. Note: it was 40* outside when I played yesterday. Greens were so cold nothing was checking back.

Durability: This is a really durable ball. Much more so the the other 3 balls I played it against. I was in 2 bunkers with the AVX, and hit about 10 full approach wedges. After the round, I cleaned the ball up and it literally looked the same as the other 2 balls in the sleeve that weren't touched. Everyone knows what 18 holes with a Pro V looks like.

Color: I love the yellow Titleist used for the AVX. I'm a yellow ball player and usually roll with the Srixon XV. Srixon yellow is pretty good. Callaway CSx yellow sucks. But the AVX yellow is awesome. Not only is the yellow much brighter than others, it has a pearly-ish finish that really looks good in the sun. It's bright, which I like.
I agree with most of your thoughts .  Question , do you think the durability is because you played the yellow ?  For me the yellow XV “appears” to be more durable than the white but I think the yellow hide small scuffs much better
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

6

#127 Guia

Guia

    Ancient Dude

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Joined: 10/28/2009
  • Location:Southwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1870

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:11 PM


Homerun2Birdie:  My name is not Bud!  Anyway, I have hit them on Trackman and played with them 3 rounds on the course.  They are just another golf ball.


7

#128 jwb10

jwb10

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21682
  • Joined: 11/12/2006
  • Location:Mars
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

Just 'another' golf ball ? Like, which one, dude ? :swoon: :polling:

8

#129 Guia

Guia

    Ancient Dude

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Joined: 10/28/2009
  • Location:Southwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1870

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:22 PM

Like the NXT, Callaway, etc.  Nothing to distinguish it for other soft balls.  Worked okay, shorter distance than the V1, V1x, E6, may work into your game, may not, but don't expect anything significant in any performance parameters.

I like to be called by my name, not Bud or Dude.  I will do the same for others, respect me, I will respect you.  Thanks

Edited by Guia, 17 November 2017 - 11:24 PM.


9

#130 freehb

freehb

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97712
  • Joined: 11/01/2009
  • Location:FLA
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

It's a really good golf ball IMO.  I have been playing the chrome soft and the Volvik vibe.  AVX is straighter, slightly longer and very good around the greens.  CS and vibe both spin more with the lob but AVX is plenty spiny and straighter on the bump and run for me...ball really holds its line.

Played 3 round with them today and hit a lot side by side compare with my other favorite balls...AVX is better IMO...noticeably so...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60  Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#131 Shadrach

Shadrach

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96442
  • Joined: 10/13/2009
  • Location:Niagara Falls, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

GolfWRX reviewers are all over the place on the AVX. At very least, there is great initial interest in this ball.

I'm 69 now and swing the driver about 85-90 mph. Back in 2013 or so, I began experimenting with the HEX Chrome, TP3, RX/RXS, and Z-Star SL. I found these balls as long or longer off *my* tee compared to the "pro" versions, sufficiently responsive around the green, and nicely soft feeling. I've played them exclusively ever since, with either the RX or the Q Star Tour being my ball for the last 36 months.

Without disparaging any of the reviews above, I find it hard to believe that Titleist would mess with its highly successful V1 franchise unless it was bringing in a ball much more like the ones mentioned above to woo back golfers like me. Should the AVX be added to the permanent Titleist lineup, I'd be eager to give it a sniff. If it performs as well as the QST and RX, I would unquestionably switch to it regardless of price point.

The pro at our club phoned me the other day. His shop is "Titleist exclusive" or whatever term they use. Knowing of my interest in the Mystery Ball, he told me that his Titleist account had been upgraded in status, such that he would be receiving several dozen AVX balls in the near future. Now we are in the Buffalo area, and it is Thanksgiving time: GolfWRXers may be aware that this is not a specially good time to try new golf product outdoors ;-) But I wonder whether this shipment to our pro signals increasing interest by Titleist in adding the AVX to its permanent line?

11

#132 Break81

Break81

    Broke80

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263738
  • Joined: 07/13/2013
  • Location:Chino Hills
  • Handicap:9.5
  • Ebay ID:marcbogey
GolfWRX Likes : 390

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:17 AM

View PostShadrach, on 18 November 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

GolfWRX reviewers are all over the place on the AVX. At very least, there is great initial interest in this ball.

I'm 69 now and swing the driver about 85-90 mph. Back in 2013 or so, I began experimenting with the HEX Chrome, TP3, RX/RXS, and Z-Star SL. I found these balls as long or longer off *my* tee compared to the "pro" versions, sufficiently responsive around the green, and nicely soft feeling. I've played them exclusively ever since, with either the RX or the Q Star Tour being my ball for the last 36 months.

Without disparaging any of the reviews above, I find it hard to believe that Titleist would mess with its highly successful V1 franchise unless it was bringing in a ball much more like the ones mentioned above to woo back golfers like me. Should the AVX be added to the permanent Titleist lineup, I'd be eager to give it a sniff. If it performs as well as the QST and RX, I would unquestionably switch to it regardless of price point.

The pro at our club phoned me the other day. His shop is "Titleist exclusive" or whatever term they use. Knowing of my interest in the Mystery Ball, he told me that his Titleist account had been upgraded in status, such that he would be receiving several dozen AVX balls in the near future. Now we are in the Buffalo area, and it is Thanksgiving time: GolfWRXers may be aware that this is not a specially good time to try new golf product outdoors ;-) But I wonder whether this shipment to our pro signals increasing interest by Titleist in adding the AVX to its permanent line?
Exactly what Titleist wants to hear. People who want the brand name and will pay extra for it.
TM M1 - Rouge 60 Stiff
Callaway XR - 4 wood - Rouge w/ RIP tip 60
Callaway BB V-Series 5 wood - Rouge Silver Stiff
Mizuno JPX850 Forger 4-GW - XP115 S300
Titleist 55 F grind / 60 M grind
EVNROLL ER5
Chrome Soft Truvis / Srixon XV 2017

12

#133 SoCalTitleist

SoCalTitleist

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64113
  • Joined: 08/25/2008
  • Location:Lake Elsinore Southern California
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 704

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostShadrach, on 18 November 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

GolfWRX reviewers are all over the place on the AVX. At very least, there is great initial interest in this ball.

I'm 69 now and swing the driver about 85-90 mph. Back in 2013 or so, I began experimenting with the HEX Chrome, TP3, RX/RXS, and Z-Star SL. I found these balls as long or longer off *my* tee compared to the "pro" versions, sufficiently responsive around the green, and nicely soft feeling. I've played them exclusively ever since, with either the RX or the Q Star Tour being my ball for the last 36 months.

Without disparaging any of the reviews above, I find it hard to believe that Titleist would mess with its highly successful V1 franchise unless it was bringing in a ball much more like the ones mentioned above to woo back golfers like me. Should the AVX be added to the permanent Titleist lineup, I'd be eager to give it a sniff. If it performs as well as the QST and RX, I would unquestionably switch to it regardless of price point.

The pro at our club phoned me the other day. His shop is "Titleist exclusive" or whatever term they use. Knowing of my interest in the Mystery Ball, he told me that his Titleist account had been upgraded in status, such that he would be receiving several dozen AVX balls in the near future. Now we are in the Buffalo area, and it is Thanksgiving time: GolfWRXers may be aware that this is not a specially good time to try new golf product outdoors ;-) But I wonder whether this shipment to our pro signals increasing interest by Titleist in adding the AVX to its permanent line?

noticed this also. reviews are all over the map.  I guess I will have to try them for myself.

13

#134 North Butte

North Butte

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Joined: 05/09/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3606

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:45 AM

GolfWRX “reviewers” are all over the place about any ball, aside from the occasional love-fests like K-Sig or TP Red.
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

14

#135 elwhippy

elwhippy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

I feel some overtime coming at Titleist's marketing office. So Mr Punter we have made a Chrome Soft rival....at $15 a dozen more. Please buy them.


15

#136 jwb10

jwb10

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21682
  • Joined: 11/12/2006
  • Location:Mars
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

View PostGuia, on 17 November 2017 - 11:22 PM, said:

Like the NXT, Callaway, etc.  Nothing to distinguish it for other soft balls.  Worked okay, shorter distance than the V1, V1x, E6, may work into your game, may not, but don't expect anything significant in any performance parameters.

I like to be called by my name, not Bud or Dude.  I will do the same for others, respect me, I will respect you.  Thanks

OK, so is it "Ancient Dude " or "Guia"; no disrespect meant, I call a lot of people I don't know "dude" and more than a few I know ... :taunt:

16

#137 Shadrach

Shadrach

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 96442
  • Joined: 10/13/2009
  • Location:Niagara Falls, NY
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostShadrach, on 18 November 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

...I've played them exclusively ever since, with either the RX or the Q Star Tour being my ball for the last 36 months.... If it (AVX) performs as well as the QST and RX, I would unquestionably switch to it regardless of price point.

So, as I was saying, I really like the RX and QST balls because they perform well for me. But if the AVX becomes a fixture in the Titleist lineup and if it performs as well as the RX and QST balls, then it would instantly become my gamer. Performance is the #1 factor for me in ball selection. But playing a Titleist ball makes great economic sense for me as well. I’ll explain briefly.


I don’t hit the ball very far, but I hit it pretty straight. So I don’t lose a lot of balls, and therefore don’t have to buy a lot of balls.


I belong to a club whose pro shop stocks Titleist balls exclusively. Every year, somehow, I win a prize or three in an event, whether through drawing or playing, and it would sure be nice to take it as a sleeve/ dozen balls; one needs only so many Bushwood shirts, hats, and so on.


I’ve also won a dozen Titleists in the same manner at “away” events. Again, it sure would be nice to put the balls in my bag rather than give them to one of my buddies.


Further, in the unlikely event I were to run out of balls while on the road, I can be sure that I can buy Titleists wherever I find myself. Titleist is a universal golf currency, eh? As much as I like Srixon balls, they are not widely available in pro shops. I don't like the idea of buying golf balls  other than my regular gamer.


Finally, I’d like to settle on *a* ball. Buying a 3-for-2 or 4-for-3 package in the spring is not terribly expensive. Repeatedly buying several dozens of latest-and-greatest balls of the year, trying a sleeve or less, and then “giving them to a kid” or “adding them to my stash in the basement” (which is preparatory to “giving them to a kid”) is what’s expensive. I’ve been there, and so have countless GolfWRXers. You could look it up ;-)


So playing a Titleist ball that I like makes economic sense for me. As a club member who is no longer young and therefore not at the beginning of my earning curve, I also feel not so much a pressure as a desire to support our pro by making my golf purchases from him whenever possible. A “Titleist QST” would be my ideal solution.


I’m certainly not here for an argument. As is said, YMMV. I’m just hoping to enjoy lots more golf before Bagger Vance invites me to tee it up with Jack Lemmon.


17

#138 Guia

Guia

    Ancient Dude

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
  • Joined: 10/28/2009
  • Location:Southwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 1870

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:10 PM


jwb10:  Either works for me :taunt:


18

#139 jwb10

jwb10

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21682
  • Joined: 11/12/2006
  • Location:Mars
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostGuia, on 19 November 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:


jwb10:  Either works for me :taunt:
perfect

19



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors