Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Rick Shiels Does 5 Years of Ping Drivers!

63 replies to this topic

#61 jimb6golf

jimb6golf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135116
GolfWRX Likes : 237

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

View Postbluedot, on 10 October 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

View Postjimb6golf, on 09 October 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Have loved my G20 driver since I got it several years ago.  Like someone said earlier I've demo'd all the new Ping drivers and only the G400 has a chance to replace it and even then I hit my G20 better at first.  I found the bulge and roll face a little difficult to get used to compared to the face on the G20, but eventually was able to hit it pretty well and even slightly longer (not much though).  It's funny hearing that the G400 driver sounds so much better when I found it to sound very similar to the G20.  Guess I just found a good driver originally.  Really enjoy seeing these latest Shiels' videos which really show that there isn't much difference in the new drivers each year.  Basically the companies are just trying to make their drivers more stable and forgiving as there isn't much more distance out there anymore.  I do like the innovation found in the G400 and the Callaway Epic drivers as opposed to the other brands.

Again, I think it's important to realize what Shiels did (and did NOT) compare.

He DID compare the distance of his five best shots with essentially identical setups, and found (to nobody's surprise, I think) that distance hasn't changed FOR HIM since the G20.

He did NOT compare any of the following:
1. Different shafts
2. Different lofts
3. Different hosel settings
4. The LS vs. the SF vs. the standard heads in the G30, G, or G400
5. Dispersion
6. Forgiveness

Hey, I found the video interesting, too.  But if you went to a fitting and the fitter gave you one loft, one shaft, and one shaft flex in each of five drivers and then told you that you were hitting all of them the same distance, would that be surprising?  Would you consider that to be a completed fitting process.  I think not...

In Shiels defense, he never said that he was going to be comparing anything other than what he did; he was simply trying to see what had happened over the last five years of Ping drivers to launch conditions and distance with HIS setup.  But taking the ball and running with it by thinking that this video, interesting though it may be, means much to your swing, or that there isn't a better driver out there for you would be a misuse of the information.

Just to clarify, I wasn't criticizing Shiels' review and actually enjoyed it.  I also realize that custom fitting makes a big difference in drivers and have in fact been fit for both my current G20 and also for a G400 but am waiting to purchase until next year.  Not sure what you are trying to point out but again I enjoyed his review and the statement that manufacturers aren't really giving you 15 yards more distance with each new product (as we all know).  Hope you were able to enjoy the videos for the Ping, TM and Callaway drivers though.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Medic

Medic

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132567
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6771

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

View Postbill1710, on 11 October 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

View Postagoose10, on 11 October 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

View Postbill1710, on 11 October 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

View Postagoose10, on 11 October 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

View Postbill1710, on 11 October 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

This test is dumb

I don’t post often but I have to say... bill1720 really makes a great argument here. I mean, he supports his thesis with facts and data. Very positive response that contributes to the community. Thanks bill!

not sure who bill1720 is. im bill1710. other people have explained why the test is dumb. i just wanted to let everyone know i agree.

I don’t mean to attack you - but I just laughed at your post.

From an outsiders point of view I like this test because it’s basic info that compares heads from a consistent swing.

I have been using a 905r for 7 years without really having too much opportunity to test new drivers. Last week I went for a fitting and found out that I need to switch to a heavy x flex in order to “match” the performance of my 905r.

Needless to say - I am excited to see the titleist numbers as I just bought a 915D3 head to compare to my 905r.
no attacking going on here. The Callaway and Taylormade test were bad to me because he only used 5 models out of so many, understandably. Ping is a little better because it is more of a single model with slight variations being the LS and SF tec. I look forward to the Titleist one actually. Although, as you just exemplified, it is more about the combination of shaft and head. Rick shows there is very little differences in the head itself. On a different shaft you can get different results, better or worse.

But if Rick is using the shaft he has found to give him the best/most consistent performance (he did) then the test is as valid as one could have been. And his point was to test out the hypothesis that newer drivers have advertised distance increases - do they deliver?

Given that everyone has known that the OEMs have maxed out how/what they can do with drivers it should come as no surprise the results Rick attained.

It isn't reasonable or realistic to test every single head and every single shaft. Given this fact Rick chose to narrow things down to the ones he got the best performance from using a shaft that also performed well.

Dumb?

Nah.

Very, very smart in my book. After all is said and done he has people talking about the test, his channel on YT and the results he got.

So do tell. How exactly would you have done the testing? Surely you would not just call a test "dumb" and not have a brilliant idea of how the test should/could have been performed. Detail it out for us. Perhaps Rick (here as a member and contributor) might even take your incredible suggestion(s) into consideration and put them to work for his next test.

Looking forward to your idea on how to make it better. Should be interesting to say the least.

Edited by Medic, 12 October 2017 - 06:28 PM.

Callaway XR-16 w/Fujikura Evolution Speeder in 12.5*
Callaway XR-16 4W w/Fujikura Evolution Speeded (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Slate 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Odyssey Versa 9 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

#63 Mcgeeno

Mcgeeno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144643
GolfWRX Likes : 561

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

I thought it was a cool vid!

I mean its not stopping me from club hoeing my way around the driver landscape, but it does re-affirm what I believed.

My G25 has beaten out every club after it and the rough stats in this test bear out that older clubs can be viable.

Some guys might get 5 yards. A few might get 10. The guys claiming 30 yard increases clearly had a driver that was not remotely close to fitting their game.

#64 chrismikayla

chrismikayla

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 341117
  • Handicap:5.9
GolfWRX Likes : 449

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

View PostBYK, on 08 October 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

View Postchrismikayla, on 08 October 2017 - 09:20 AM, said:

View PostBYK, on 07 October 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Loved my G25 and Anser
Maybe the G20 is worth a try?
You would love the I25. Almost as forgiving as the G25 but low spin similar to the Anser

Yeah it's interesting
I tried it, and for whatever reason could not hit it at all
I figured the same thing, that I'd love it, given that I love the forgiveness of the G25 and the low spin on the Anser

How you like your G LS?  I tried that too lol, and it didn't knock out my Anser
Like the forgiveness but so far the dispersion has not been as good as I would like.
Ping G Ls Tec 10.5 Tour 65S
Ping i20 3w Project X 6.0
Ping i20 Hybid 707 H
Ping i20 5-pw DGS300
Cleveland Classic 4.5
Tour Edge Proto 54, 58

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors