Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Summer 2018: Ireland, Italy, Spain, Scotland, England or France???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:56 AM

Looking to find a club or course(s) in Europe where I can get a short-term/summer membership/pass and play in a league or some club comps. Ideally, a reasonably priced club in a nice area with some stuff for my non-golfing wife (and teen age daughter) to do with furnished monthly housing rentals available.

I did this in Rotorua, NZ about a decade ago (and the last 5 years locally in Colorado) and really enjoy it.

Edited by SkiSchoolPro, 06 October 2017 - 10:59 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 joe perry

joe perry

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2640
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:01 PM

if i was in your position I would look at Northern Ireland - maybe Portstewart or Castlerock golf courses near the famous towns of Portrush and Bushmills that make up the Antrim Coast

1. nice area absolutely - great sightseeing and beaches though not hot hot beach weather like Italy or Spain.
2. probably just enough going on to satisfy wife and daughter and not too far from Belfast/Dublin if you wanted to take day trips
3. other good golfing in the area such as 2 courses at Portrush, 2 courses at Ballyliffen, and some not too far away like Portsalon, Rosapenna, and Narin and Portnoo

Edited by joe perry, 08 October 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#3 Chanceman

Chanceman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Try the Riviera. Near CAnnes, Aix enProvence, etc and lots of nice golf courses. Other nice things too!

#4 SkiSchoolPro

SkiSchoolPro

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469938
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

Thx for the replies!

joe perry, on 08 October 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

if i was in your position I would look at Northern Ireland - maybe Portstewart or Castlerock golf courses near the famous towns of Portrush and Bushmills that make up the Antrim Coast

1. nice area absolutely - great sightseeing and beaches though not hot hot beach weather like Italy or Spain.
2. probably just enough going on to satisfy wife and daughter and not too far from Belfast/Dublin if you wanted to take day trips
3. other good golfing in the area such as 2 courses at Portrush, 2 courses at Ballyliffen, and some not too far away like Portsalon, Rosapenna, and Narin and Portnoo
Will definitely check these options out...the impetus for this trip was that my parents want me to drive them around N.I. for a week so I was definitely thinking of picking a base there and making a summer of it!

Chanceman, on 11 October 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Try the Riviera. Near CAnnes, Aix enProvence, etc and lots of nice golf courses. Other nice things too!
My wife is French and I really like it on the Riviera, but haven't played golf there. My sense is that it would be easier to find a club to play out of in Ireland (which is where my wife would also prefer), but it would give my daughter a chance to practice her French.

#5 gp7xs

gp7xs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200105
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

What kind of weather would you like to have? Scotland and Ireland can be somewhat different than the mediterranean in the summer. You'll get good weather in both places, but it will usually be much sunnier and warmer around the mediterranean sea.

As far as the golf is concerned, Scotland/Ireland is the better place IMO.

Another place you could look into is Portugal. It is usually less pricy than Spain, France or Italy. You could try the Algarve region, which has many golf courses. Or you could also go with the Obidos region. It has great courses, such as the new West Cliffs. I believe the Praia D'El Rey resort offers summer memberships with access to its courses: Praia D'el Rey, Royal Obidos and West Cliffs. I think you can also rent houses. You'd have to check.

#6 AuldPLO Swiss Golftrotter

AuldPLO Swiss Golftrotter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482150
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:11 AM

gp7xs, on 11 October 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

Another place you could look into is Portugal. It is usually less pricy than Spain, France or Italy. You could try the Algarve region, which has many golf courses. Or you could also go with the Obidos region. It has great courses, such as the new West Cliffs. I believe the Praia D'El Rey resort offers summer memberships with access to its courses: Praia D'el Rey, Royal Obidos and West Cliffs. I think you can also rent houses. You'd have to check.

I rented a house in Praia d'El Rey last year, great place and very good value. I haven't played yet the brand new West Cliffs but it will likely become soon one on the very best in Continental Europe, based on various reviews/feedback I got. Praia d'El Rey is a beautiful layout with amazing views, while its neighbor Royal Obidos (the very last Seve Ballesteros design) is a pretty challenging course. PdR and RO are fairly cheap in summer, about $60. Oitavos and Penha Longa, both near Lisbon – 1h south from Praia d’El Rey - are also great tracks to consider.

Algarve is great too, with a much wider choice of courses, but it's much more expensive (house rental and greefees) too.

From the breathtaking cliffs of Cape Kidnappers in New Zealand to the idyllic coastal scenery of Mauritius, from the desolate landscapes of Wolf Creek in the US to the legend of St Andrews in Scotland, find my golfing and photographic journey through nineteen countries on all continents :

Instagram golf gallery : @auld_plo_golftrotter
Flikr golf gallery : http://tinyurl.com/Auldplogolftrotter (by course - newest first)
Flikr golf gallery : http://tinyurl.com/a...plogolftrotter2 (by country)

#7 gp7xs

gp7xs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200105
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

AuldPLO Swiss Golftrotter, on 12 October 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

gp7xs, on 11 October 2017 - 02:06 PM, said:

I rented a house in Praia d'El Rey last year, great place and very good value. I haven't played yet the brand new West Cliffs but it will likely become soon one on the very best in Continental Europe, based on various reviews/feedback I got. Praia d'El Rey is a beautiful layout with amazing views, while its neighbor Royal Obidos (the very last Seve Ballesteros design) is a pretty challenging course. PdR and RO are fairly cheap in summer, about $60. Oitavos and Penha Longa, both near Lisbon – 1h south from Praia d’El Rey - are also great tracks to consider.

Algarve is great too, with a much wider choice of courses, but it's much more expensive (house rental and greefees) too.

Oitavos Dunes is wonderful! Along with Monte Rei, they are the best courses in Portugal IMO. I've heard great things about West Cliffs. Hoping to play it sooner rather than later.

#8 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3316

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

Live in the town of Deal on the Kent coast, join Royal Cinque Ports.  Ninety minutes by train from arguably the greatest city in the world. Also just a short drive to the UK end of the Chunnel. Probably as warm and dry on average as anywhere in GB&I.

Also play at Royal St Georges as often as possible with day trips over to play at Rye.
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#9 Chanceman

Chanceman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

IMHO there is nowhere quite like the UK for a summer break.
The best sporting events in the world all in one little island over a few months..
And some of the best golf courses.
Tennis - Wimbledon in June,
Cricket - everywhere but especially at Lord's,
Horse Racing - Royal Ascot,
Rowing - Henly 0n Thames,
Golf -  obviously The Open although in Scotland next year its only a train ride away, and courses at every turn eg Sunningdale and others like Ganton or Woodhall Spa further North
Motor Racing - Formula 1,
you can pop over to France for Le Tour,
Badminton - Equestrian etc etc.
Your wife can go shopping ad infinitum in London and attend theatre, music, opera, museums, churches, etc etc etc.
Country Houses to visit all over the place. it never stops.
So join a club in Surrey or Sussex and rent a house which is near a train station.
I have convinced myself to do the same thing! Thanks for the idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors