Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Anthony Kim interview from 2015

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 3528

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

A lot of information I have never read before. I don't think I've seen it on here. Could be and maybe I missed it? Either way, it's a good interview for those that missed it. I bolded a couple of interesting parts. https://www.usatoday...-mine/73072460/

Anthony Kim was tired of whispers on the PGA Tour about what was wrong with him and his game, so he found a patch of grass behind a row of trees down from the practice range at Quail Hollow and hit balls for two hours.

This was where he won his first PGA Tour event in 2008, when he was fearless, brash and backed it all up with an exciting brand of golf. He ended that year by demolishing Sergio Garcia in the leadoff singles match at the Ryder Cup, the last time the Americans won.

Kim referred to Quail Hollow as the start of his career. "Hopefully, I can start a new one here," he said. Two days later, he shot 74 and walked straight to his car, dumped his clubs in the trunk and drove away.

That was 2012, and he hasn't been back.

"Golf is a fond memory of mine," Kim said Tuesday, his first interview in three years. "I've been watching more and more. I miss the competition a little bit. Watching these young guys like Jordan Spieth is bringing me back to watch."

Is it enough to bring him back to play?

Not yet. Maybe not ever.

"Here's what I'm telling you today," he said. "I'm going to step away from the game for a little while and get my body pieced together. Instead of going from an Achilles injury to try to go 180 mph and not fixing the problem ... I've got so much ground to make up from injuries — rotator cuff, labrum, spinal fusion, hand injury. I've had six or seven surgeries in the last three-and-a-half years."

Asked if it was possible that he played his last round on the PGA Tour at age 26, Kim paused, chuckled and said, "Anything is possible. Isn't that what the slogan says?"

Paul Azinger, the Ryder Cup captain at Valhalla where Kim emerged as a star, was among those who could not believe that someone with so much talent could be done at such a young age.

"His energy and enthusiasm, his killer instinct, it all converged into him becoming our team leader," Azinger said.

Kim's immediate future is a business venture with Dallas-based Quality Metrics Partners that was started with longtime friend and caddie Brodie Flanders and two others, including Mike Knall, a former punter for the Oklahoma Sooners. It provides ancillary service management in the health care industry. Kim said he made a substantial investment, which he made back within months.

His joy comes from a stronger relationship with his mother. Kim spent three weeks with her in South Korea, sees her at least once a month and was headed to his native Los Angeles to sign the papers on a house he just bought for her in Beverly Hills.

He said he has not played a full round of golf in nearly 18 months. Physical therapy occupies most of his time.

Kim didn't entirely disappear, though sightings have been rare and have led to rumors, including one that he was sleeping on the streets of Las Vegas because he was out of money.

He earned just over $12 million in five full seasons on the PGA Tour and says he saved up more money than people realize. The stories and photos on social media over the years painted a wild side to Kim. He doesn't deny he lived different than most golfers, nor will be apologize.

"If you don't like the way I live, change the channel. You're the one who tuned in here," Kim said. "A lot of the golf public may not appreciate the way I live, which is by my own rules. But I give everyone respect. I'm not rude to anyone. And I treat everyone the same."

He said he is getting monthly payments from an insurance policy he took out five years ago in case he was injured. But he denied speculation in a magazine story last fall that the policy was a factor that is keeping him from returning to the PGA Tour.

"I paid well into the mid-six figures for the policy," he said. "They wouldn't have paid me every month had I not been to the doctors, showing them all my X-rays, doing all the treatment, the acupuncture, twice a day for physical therapy.

He also explained his departure from Quail Hollow that day. Kim said he ignored his summons for drug testing when he walked to the parking lot, though he eventually was tested.

"I was mad about how I played. I injured myself again. I ended up coming back and taking the test," he said. "I've never tested positive for anything since I've been on the PGA Tour whenever the drug testing started. Never. And they tested me more than anyone.

"These rumors tainted my reputation," he said, "and I didn't have a great one to begin with."

Kim had no idea he would be gone this long. He played golf with Phil Mickelson at the Madison Club in the California desert. He rented a house in San Diego to prepare for the 2013 season. He said he was up at 5 a.m. every day to train when his Achilles tendon popped. Once he recovered from the leg, he had a herniated disc. And the injuries piled up.

Golf moved on without him. He still has a major medical exemption he can use if he ever returns. Kim would have to earn $613,500 in 16 events to keep his card.

But even Kim can't say that he will return.

He described his health as a "6'' on a scale of 1 to 10 and said he was coping with thoracic outlet syndrome. He also said he was in the process of moving, hiring a trainer and getting back to full health with hopes of giving golf one last chance.

"What Spieth and (Jason) Day did this year was ridiculous," he said. "I'm not going to compete with those boys unless I'm healthy. I'm not playing with 11 clubs. My goal right now for the next year is to get healthy. At this point, I'm happy where I'm at where I'm headed."

Kim was given a chance to provide his own answer to a question that has been raised plenty over the last two years.

Whatever happened to Anthony Kim?

"Ask me in two years," he said.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster, 06 October 2017 - 07:55 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 slimeone

slimeone

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 328273
GolfWRX Likes : 531

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:21 AM

Well that was two years ago, so can we ask the question again now?

#3 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 3528

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

View Postslimeone, on 06 October 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Well that was two years ago, so can we ask the question again now?

I had no clue he had spinal fusion.

#4 swing thoughts

swing thoughts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 349485
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

I feel for the guy. Hope he finds peace.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha DBD 9*
Cobra Bio Cell Fairway 14.5
Cobra Bio Cell hybrid 17*
Mizuno MP 69 3-P DS300 Gold Stiff
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF52*
Taylormade Tour Preferred EF 58*
Putter: Scotty Futura X5 38" or Bobby Jones Milled Blade

#5 ChillyDipper

ChillyDipper

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 393850
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 469

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:25 PM

Good article.  I'd like to see him come back no matter how much of a dolt he may have been.

WIMB:
Ping G LST 10.5
Ping G - 14.5*
Titleist 712U - 2i
VR Pro Blade - 3-9
Vokey SM6 - 47* F Grind
Vokey SM6 - 51* F Grind
Vokey SM6 - 55* S Grind
Vokey SM6 - 59* L Grind
SC Newport 2 - AOP

#6 PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141617
GolfWRX Likes : 2823

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:28 PM

I remember reading this article. Certainly pokes holes in the “he just likes gambling, cocaine, and not working hard” theory as to why he’s taking the insurance payouts instead of actually being injured.

I think Tiger needs to take a lesson from the Anthony Kim playbook at this point. Anyone notice that they pretty much have the same injuries, except Tiger also has the ACL?
Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING G30 8.4 w/ Tour 65 Stiff 44.25"
PING G Stretch 13 w/ Tour 80 X
PING G25 20 w/ TFC 189 X
PING S55 4-PW w/ KBS Tour X
PING Tour Gorge 52; Glide 2.0 56 & 60 SS w/ AWT 2.0 Wedge
Yes! Sandy 12 38"

#7 paint94979

paint94979

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174168
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

Man id LOVE to see AK back out there. At 31-32 years old i highly doubt we ever see him on the PGA Tour again

#8 Conrad1953

Conrad1953

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,708 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66402
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:cobicreations
GolfWRX Likes : 41629

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

We saw this interview awhile back. Time will tell.
Ping G25 10.5 degree w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G15 4 wood w/PL Blue 65S
Ping G10 18 and 21 Hybrids w PL Blue HY S
    Ping S58 Irons 4-P with Ping AWT R
    Ping Gorge Wedges 52 and 58 w/CFS Wedge  
   Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Member #3---------Outlaw Golf Association
   Non Physics Geezer Division

#9 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***FIGJAM = Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 2760

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:26 AM

If AK comes back

View PostConrad1953, on 06 October 2017 - 11:38 PM, said:

We saw this interview awhile back. Time will tell.

He will never be the same if he does come back.  I think he enjoys living the good life now..

#10 YMark

YMark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168261
GolfWRX Likes : 373

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 07 October 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

He will never be the same if he does come back.  I think he enjoys living the good life now..

Because being a PGA tour player is a bad life?

Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 Chewey85

Chewey85

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481436
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

View PostYMark, on 07 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

It's a grind that's for sure

Would love to see AK back though. He was a hell of a player.

#12 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***FIGJAM = Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,369 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 2760

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

View PostYMark, on 07 October 2017 - 11:33 AM, said:

Evidently, it’s not for everyone...

#13 Bomber_

Bomber_

Enjoy the Chase.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 412188
  • Handicap:+1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 2946

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'd love to see AK back on tour!

Sadly I doubt it ever happens...

One of those uber-talented, charismatic guys who's just suddenly gone - and leaves you wanting more.

Hard to say if he'd be challenging Jordan, DJ, JT, Day, Rory, etc. but if he's healthy i like his odds.

GettyImages-82937640small.jpg
Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Graphite Design AD TP 7X
Taylormade M2 T3 13* w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX
Taylormade P790 UDI 2i w/ Tensei Pro White 100HY
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/55/60 w/ DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
Taylormade TP5
Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users