Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

driver head tour issue..


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Makidebinens

Makidebinens

    Lynx Clan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439280
  • Joined: 09/02/2016
  • Location:Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

What is a "tour issue" driver compared to a regular driver head? Hm,,

"keep it in the short Grass"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 4857

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:32 AM

 Makidebinens, on 06 October 2017 - 07:13 AM, said:

What is a "tour issue" driver compared to a regular driver head? Hm,,

Depends on the specific model and make of driver head.

In some cases it's a different design - modified from the retail in a variety of ways.  

In other cases, it's the same exact design as the retail head but has undergone some extra testing and had the specs more accurately measured and documented.

Edited by Stuart G., 06 October 2017 - 07:33 AM.


2

#3 nicoy3k

nicoy3k

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 190910
  • Joined: 07/07/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

These days it normally means that itís specs have been measured and documented so if a pro wants a 9.8* loft he/she can get it

3

#4 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

    Leather for Life!!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,419 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
  • Joined: 06/15/2007
  • Location:New England
GolfWRX Likes : 1072

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:06 AM

Oh, and the price is usually unnecessarily inflated!

BT
DR #1. RED Amp Cell Pro w/ ATX Red 65 TX 44.5",
DR #2. BLUE Bio Cell Pro w/ ATX Blue 75 X 44.5"
DR #3. WHITE Fly-Z+ w/ Kiyoshi White 75 S 44.5"
DR #4. King LTD Black w/ SpeedrulZ Type A 70 S 44.5"
DR #5. Matte Black Fly-Z + w/ Aldila Rip Beta 70 X 44.5"
RED Bio Cell 3-4 W/ 7Q3 S, BLUE King F6 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 BO Ltd., WHITE Fly-Z 3-4 w/ Speeder 757 US Open Ltd
RED AC 3-4 w/ 7Q3 S, LTD Black 3-4 w/ Rip Beta 80 S - All at 43"
BLUE Bio Cell 5-7 w/ Speeder 757 S British Open LTD, RED Amp Cell 5-7 w/ 8Q3 S, WHITE Fly-Z 5-7 Fubuki Alpha 80 X, LTD Black 4-5 w/ Rip beta 80 S - All at 42"
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 4-pw Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP4 4-pw Matrix Program 130 S
Mizuno MP15 4-PW Aldila Rip Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52-8, 56-12 & 60-8 satin & black
PT#1 Natural Touch Macassar Ebony (rotate)
PT#2 Natural Touch Afzelia Burl (rotate)
PT#3 Natural Touch Bolivian Rosewood (rotate)

4

#5 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 4857

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

And don't forget that the Tour Issue stuff is frequently not covered by the manufacturer warranties since they usually are not intended for retail sales.

Edited by Stuart G., 06 October 2017 - 09:26 AM.


5

#6 cgasucks

cgasucks

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16512
  • Joined: 07/18/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

 Stuart G., on 06 October 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

And don't forget that the Tour Issue stuff is frequently not covered by the manufacturer warranties since they usually are not intended for retail sales.

True....if you happen to crack a tour head and take it back to the OEM for a replacement, they may not honor the warranty since the head was never meant for retail sale in the first place.
9.5 deg Taylormade R7 Superquad (All Black First Edition) with stock Fujikura Reax TP shaft
1988 Tommy Armour 845s (3-PW, W3 (GW), SW) with stock TT Tour Step shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Ping Anser 2 Stainless Steel Putter

6

#7 manima1

manima1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394214
  • Joined: 09/01/2015
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:11.3
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

Aside from getting the exact specs you are looking for, there are offerings that were never available to the public.

Examples in my bag:
-you can't get a retail '16M2 head in 8.5 lofts
-'16 M2 Fairway in Deep Face was never offered retail
Taylormade '16 M2 8.5->7.5 - Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx
Taylormade '16 M2HL DF- Kuro Kage Dual Core 80tx
Srixon zU45 18 degree - TI DG S400
Srixon z765 3 iron - TI DG S400
Srixon z745 4-PW - TI DG S400s
SM6 50.08F - DG Wedge Flex
SM5 52.08F - DG Wedge Flex
SM5 60.08M - DG Wedge Flex
Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-line

7

#8 Awainer1

Awainer1

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379692
  • Joined: 06/08/2015
  • Ebay ID:Awainer1
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

they are tested for COR so likely not over the legal limit and hopefully not super dead either.  Ideally the number is provided when you buy it.  Also the tour heads tend to have a more open face than the retail version.

8

#9 Makidebinens

Makidebinens

    Lynx Clan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439280
  • Joined: 09/02/2016
  • Location:Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

 manima1, on 06 October 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Aside from getting the exact specs you are looking for, there are offerings that were never available to the public.

Examples in my bag:
-you can't get a retail '16M2 head in 8.5 lofts
-'16 M2 Fairway in Deep Face was never offered retail

so a 2016 M1 "8.5" degree would be a tour issue? customed with a Matrix shaft?
"keep it in the short Grass"

9

#10 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 2,229 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 1620

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:09 PM

 Makidebinens, on 06 October 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

 manima1, on 06 October 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Aside from getting the exact specs you are looking for, there are offerings that were never available to the public.

Examples in my bag:
-you can't get a retail '16M2 head in 8.5 lofts
-'16 M2 Fairway in Deep Face was never offered retail

so a 2016 M1 "8.5" degree would be a tour issue? customed with a Matrix shaft?

The 8.5 is a tour only loft in 2016 and 2017 M2 but not M1.

http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Makidebinens

Makidebinens

    Lynx Clan

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439280
  • Joined: 09/02/2016
  • Location:Great White North
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

 TollBros, on 06 October 2017 - 10:09 PM, said:

 Makidebinens, on 06 October 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

 manima1, on 06 October 2017 - 02:40 PM, said:

Aside from getting the exact specs you are looking for, there are offerings that were never available to the public.

Examples in my bag:
-you can't get a retail '16M2 head in 8.5 lofts
-'16 M2 Fairway in Deep Face was never offered retail

so a 2016 M1 "8.5" degree would be a tour issue? customed with a Matrix shaft?

The 8.5 is a tour only loft.

Excellent. thank you. i didn't realize that. i own an 8.5 degree M1 460 which i will be looking to switch to a 440/17 or 430 2016 version in the next coming weeks. I've played the smaller head drivers in the past (titleist D3's) and preferred them, only for control reasons.
"keep it in the short Grass"

11

#12 Liam0218

Liam0218

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100859
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:London, UK
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

TM driver tour heads have small x stamped on the back of the neck

12

#13 msumark

msumark

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115533
  • Joined: 09/29/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:26 PM

Posted Image

A great friend of mine gave me this from the TM tour department.
M1 440 Tour Issue
RBZ Stage 2 HL
M1 3 iron
Taylormade Tour Preferred MB
TM Spider S
Taylormade EF 52*, 58*

13

#14 Golfrnut

Golfrnut

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132818
  • Joined: 07/12/2011
  • Location:Eastern NC
GolfWRX Likes : 1807

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:27 PM

 Liam0218, on 12 October 2017 - 05:08 PM, said:

TM driver tour heads have small x stamped on the back of the neck

Are you referring to the "+" denoting the head has been CT tested?  If so, not all heads have that.
TM Supertri V2 w/ AD DI
Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB
Callaway Apex UT 21* w/ i80 Steelfiber
Callaway RAZR MBs 4-PW w/ i95 Steelfiber
Callaway MD3 50* & 54*/58* PM grind
Odyssey MXM 1W

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors