Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Leishman's wife criticizes fan behavior at Prez Cup

140 replies to this topic

#61 Tre4ISU

Tre4ISU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483394
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Listen, I'm all for the funny shout outs and I think the players are too. What I'm not for is belligerent and obnoxious stuff that is also not creative. If you come with something that's clever, relevant, and somewhat funny without it being disrespectful, I think the vast majority of players are okay with that. Look at how guys reacted to the Si-Woo thing. Now, maybe Si-Woo hated it but I don't think there was any disrespect intended there. I just get sick of the heckling and the low brow stuff, not to mention the outright disrespect.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Happy Holidays!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 11,820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 7766

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

View Postlowheel, on 06 October 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

View PostKYMAR, on 06 October 2017 - 10:00 AM, said:

lol what a bunch of overly sensitive cupcakes.

Im old enough to remember several ryder cups in europe namely 97 in valderama where fans verbally abused the americans and their wives, spun their umbrellas when americans hit their approach shots and so on...Then 99 came around and the brookline crowd gave it back to them and then some and they couldnt hande it. its called home field advantage for a reason. it happens once a year and you should expect hostility.As you said if the internationals won you wouldnt hear anything about it. Sour grapes

The fact is our players got more abuse from our fans after the loss than from any Euro fans during the matches.

Kiawah, Brookline, Medinah, Hazeltine - the bad U.S. fans have been the worst overall by far and the last 2 Ryder Cups here have been embarrassing. The U.S. amped it up, boorish behavior enabled if not encouraged and not much change yet after all the promises to address it after Medinah.

Presidents Cup should be no surprise now. With what the Ryder Cup has become and the Tour demonstrating again and again in its events it will tolerate quite a bit (and flat out encourage it as the OP rightly points out) it's inevitable this event will attract the same kind of crap.

It's a real problem that may not have much for good solutions. Alcohol is a factor, but that's not the whole of it, and it's not just "non golf" fans who are causing issues.

Still think it's the minority of those in attendance that cause the problems, but the events don't "need" them and the other enthusiastic 90+% are far from zombies, lol. I get the fox may need to raid the henhouse on occasion, but it can't feel entitled to the eggs. Ha - no idea what that means, now I sound like Andy Griffith.

"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!" - Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme

#63 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138955
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Im old enough to remember several ryder cups in europe namely 97 in valderama where fans verbally abused the americans and their wives, spun their umbrellas when americans hit their approach shots and so on...Then 99 came around and the brookline crowd gave it back to them and then some and they couldnt hande it. its called home field advantage for a reason. it happens once a year and you should expect hostility.As you said if the internationals won you wouldnt hear anything about it. Sour grapes

You know and i know that this isn't true, so why type it.

#64 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 1184

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Lehman mentions "interesting" behavior of the fans at Valderrama. Maybe he meant just good ol' fashioned ribbing but I doubt it.

#65 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:32 PM

"One fan last weekend spit on the wife of European captain Mark James, and others profanely heckled Colin Montgomerie, prompting his father to leave the course after seven holes.

On Wednesday, the American caddie for European Ryder Cup star Sergio Garcia said he was attacked in a hotel bar after the tournament and had to go to a hospital with a head wound. Jerry Higginbotham said several men taunted him because he was an American working with the European team."

#66 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

"At the Belfry in 1993, Love said fans poked umbrellas through the ropes trying to trip people going from tee to green."

#67 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostFinbarr Saunders, on 06 October 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

"One fan last weekend spit on the wife of European captain Mark James, and others profanely heckled Colin Montgomerie, prompting his father to leave the course after seven holes.

On Wednesday, the American caddie for European Ryder Cup star Sergio Garcia said he was attacked in a hotel bar after the tournament and had to go to a hospital with a head wound. Jerry Higginbotham said several men taunted him because he was an American working with the European team."

Funny how you omitted the comments Love and other made about European behavior at other Ryder Cups that were included in the same articles that you quote above.

#68 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 13638

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

One Euros take:

"Besides, was the crowd abuse that the European team received really all that bad? Compared to the vitriol dished out by football crowds, it looks pretty tame stuff. They are, after all, only golf fans: grown men dressed up in head-to-toe Stars and Stripes merchandise, pudgy Full Kit Winkers shouting “get in the woods” at you as you are surrounded by as many security guards at the average US Presidential detail. As nasty sports fans go, it’s hardly like being ambushed by 150 knife-wielding Millwall hooligans in a deserted Bermondsey railway underpass, is it?"

"It feels to me like the shocked reaction of spoilt young men who temporarily had a short break from everyone respectfully telling them how wonderful they are."

http://www.telegraph...uld-toughen-up/

So, naturally, I googled "MIllwall hooligan".

Very interesting,

Posted Image

Edited by bscinstnct, 06 October 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#69 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

Wizard in the Corner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1152

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

Yeah there are a lot of d-bags out there, and there always will be. They're the guys who yell "get in the water" and immediately put their hand up for a high five while laughing, but never get one, then cuss people out for being lame.

Edited by WidespreadPanic, 06 October 2017 - 02:14 PM.

Taylormade M2 ('17) 11*
Taylormade M1 17*
Cobra F7 19*
Mizuno MPH5 4 iron
Mizuno MP33 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*
Titleist SM5 56*, 60*
O Works Black #1
Taylormade TPx

#70 moonshine

moonshine

I'm finally a LTD believer

• 5,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31690
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 621

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

View Postwcbjr, on 06 October 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

View PostWarrick, on 06 October 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

most of this is stupid, wasted, Americans who think they bought a ticket to a war.

So many alcohol infuse blow hards, who think others think they are cool for treating people like dogsh!t.

I was f'ing embarrassed watching the Ryder Cup.  Is that how you treat people?  That is not patriotic.

The sense of entitlement some people have these days is disturbing.

Have you seen the news here in America?  We're finally getting what we deserve.  Too bad those few a**holes are dragging me down with them.
Lol, you mean the news all over the world?  Not sure what you are implying...but I don't deserve anything horrible based on what I can only guess you meant in your statement.  People that don't drink never have and never will "fit in" with people that do.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

View Postmoonshine, on 06 October 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

View Postwcbjr, on 06 October 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

View PostWarrick, on 06 October 2017 - 04:48 AM, said:

most of this is stupid, wasted, Americans who think they bought a ticket to a war.

So many alcohol infuse blow hards, who think others think they are cool for treating people like dogsh!t.

I was f'ing embarrassed watching the Ryder Cup.  Is that how you treat people?  That is not patriotic.

The sense of entitlement some people have these days is disturbing.

Have you seen the news here in America?  We're finally getting what we deserve.  Too bad those few a**holes are dragging me down with them.
Lol, you mean the news all over the world?  Not sure what you are implying...but I don't deserve anything horrible based on what I can only guess you meant in your statement.  People that don't drink never have and never will "fit in" with people that do.

I think he/she is a former CBS legal executive.

#72 Dpavs

Dpavs

OverWRX'ed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133444
GolfWRX Likes : 1593

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

I think the trouble all started when that fan yelled "get in the water"...when he should have been more proper and stated in a clear voice.. "I say ball old bean, be a good sport and take a bath". I think we all know ... it's not what you say... it's how you say it.  (JK!)

#73 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3215

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostGnomesteel, on 06 October 2017 - 11:04 AM, said:

Thing is, it's totally possible to enjoy several beers without acting like an idiot.

I'll be back later tonight to argue this point.

#74 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 1595

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostFinbarr Saunders, on 06 October 2017 - 01:17 PM, said:

You know and i know that this isn't true, so why type it.

My friend and brother were there, it happened deal with it. he had a drink spilled on him for celebrating a tom lehman birdie. Bad behavior is not an american only issue. A little hate and rivalry is always healthy

Edited by lowheel, 06 October 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#75 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostFinbarr Saunders, on 06 October 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

You left out some quotes from that article, coincidence? or narrative and agenda?

#76 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 06 October 2017 - 01:15 PM, said:

The fact is our players got more abuse from our fans after the loss than from any Euro fans during the matches.

Kiawah, Brookline, Medinah, Hazeltine - the bad U.S. fans have been the worst overall by far and the last 2 Ryder Cups here have been embarrassing. The U.S. amped it up, boorish behavior enabled if not encouraged and not much change yet after all the promises to address it after Medinah.

Presidents Cup should be no surprise now. With what the Ryder Cup has become and the Tour demonstrating again and again in its events it will tolerate quite a bit (and flat out encourage it as the OP rightly points out) it's inevitable this event will attract the same kind of crap.

It's a real problem that may not have much for good solutions. Alcohol is a factor, but that's not the whole of it, and it's not just "non golf" fans who are causing issues.

Still think it's the minority of those in attendance that cause the problems, but the events don't "need" them and the other enthusiastic 90+% are far from zombies, lol. I get the fox may need to raid the henhouse on occasion, but it can't feel entitled to the eggs. Ha - no idea what that means, now I sound like Andy Griffith.

Why because you say so? the matches at hazeltine short of a few idiots were lauded by the euro team as raucous but fair. Did we watch the same events? Rory loved the atmosphere and only had issue with 2 patrons that he and Reed insisted be removed. lets not get overdramatic here. you watch the ryder cup because it gets heated and means something. At least be honest about it!

#77 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 19,444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19383

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

I can be as Canadian liberal "let's be nice to everyone" as the next guy (you know, provided he too is Canadian...) , but let's be real here. The complaining about the fans has really jumped the shark, enough is enough. Don't play then....

It's like Kevin Durant complaining about getting trolled on social media. I mean what do you expect? There are gonna be some trolls

97% of the fans are great. I think everyone agrees with that. There are some loud boorish ones, that will never change. If you can't tune those guys out and just enjoy the event for what it is, and the respect of 97% of the fans than you don't belong out there. Golf is one of THE MOST TAME fan bases there is.

It's like, i started playing in a flag football league (a beer league, non competitive). Of course of the 20 guys in any random game, there's always 2-3 guys who trash talk, dance after sacks, make the first down signal after catches, and generally just act like troll-idiots ...and of course most of the other guys dont really like it but just happen to be friends with them for one reason or another. Like they needed their 90$ to field a team type thing. Most of the guys are there having fun, and a small few think they are Richard Sherman playing in the playoffs. If you can't accept that these 3 people exist...YOU SHOULD NOT JOIN THE LEAGUE

Geez....have we reached a point where we expect 100% of fans to be gentlemanly? Have you met, you know, other people?
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#78 jmck

jmck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66331
GolfWRX Likes : 2391

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Only 2 or 3 out of 20?  Man you Canadians really do have it good!

#79 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• 19,444 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 19383

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:42 PM

View Postjmck, on 06 October 2017 - 04:33 PM, said:

Only 2 or 3 out of 20?  Man you Canadians really do have it good!

i was underselling a bit, probably more like 5-6....but i mean, it's football after all. It's got a higher concentration rate of D-bags.

(Don't worry, i played football for many years, i'm allowed to say that)
Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/Diamana D+ 70
Callaway XR Pro 14 w/Diamana D+ 80
Callaway Steelhead XR 3 iron w/S300
Callaway Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S200
Odyssey Versa Works 1W Tank

#80 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Happy Holidays!

• 11,820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 7766

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

View Postlowheel, on 06 October 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

Why because you say so? the matches at hazeltine short of a few idiots were lauded by the euro team as raucous but fair. Did we watch the same events? Rory loved the atmosphere and only had issue with 2 patrons that he and Reed insisted be removed. lets not get overdramatic here. you watch the ryder cup because it gets heated and means something. At least be honest about it!

Not why I attended and not why I watch.

"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!" - Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

when we have outside agencies trying to deliberately influence the outcome of a shot is nothing short of cheating

#82 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 06 October 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

Not why I attended and not why I watch.

Oh, So youre the one. :)

#83 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostFinbarr Saunders, on 06 October 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

when we have outside agencies trying to deliberately influence the outcome of a shot is nothing short of cheating

Great lets forfeit the last 15 ryder cups then because it happens all the time regardless of your large font

Edited by lowheel, 06 October 2017 - 06:00 PM.

#84 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostMtlJeff, on 06 October 2017 - 04:19 PM, said:

I can be as Canadian liberal "let's be nice to everyone" as the next guy (you know, provided he too is Canadian...) , but let's be real here. The complaining about the fans has really jumped the shark, enough is enough. Don't play then....

It's like Kevin Durant complaining about getting trolled on social media. I mean what do you expect? There are gonna be some trolls

97% of the fans are great. I think everyone agrees with that. There are some loud boorish ones, that will never change. If you can't tune those guys out and just enjoy the event for what it is, and the respect of 97% of the fans than you don't belong out there. Golf is one of THE MOST TAME fan bases there is.

It's like, i started playing in a flag football league (a beer league, non competitive). Of course of the 20 guys in any random game, there's always 2-3 guys who trash talk, dance after sacks, make the first down signal after catches, and generally just act like troll-idiots ...and of course most of the other guys dont really like it but just happen to be friends with them for one reason or another. Like they needed their 90$ to field a team type thing. Most of the guys are there having fun, and a small few think they are Richard Sherman playing in the playoffs. If you can't accept that these 3 people exist...YOU SHOULD NOT JOIN THE LEAGUE

Geez....have we reached a point where we expect 100% of fans to be gentlemanly? Have you met, you know, other people?

Being how we come from the same hometown our hockey fans arent any better. i attended a canadiens game 15 years ago and Kevin Weekes the african american back up goalie of the carolina hurricanes had several bananas thrown at him. I was 10 seats away. Again it takes a few idiots but its not representative of the overall crowd. a few years ago again at the bell center i passed 3 guys in the washroom wearing black face and wearing pk subban jerseys. they didnt understand all the jeers and stares they were getting. it happens in every sport but its a small percentage as you say just like in society you cant expect everyone to act the same all the time especially when you add alcohol to the mix

Edited by lowheel, 06 October 2017 - 06:10 PM.

#85 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

we can easily erase the last Ryder cup because that was nothing short of embarrassing

#86 KYMAR

KYMAR

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 12,915 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 14174

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

baby.jpg
Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided   
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0   
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60   
White Hot 6 Long Neck

#87 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,449 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 06 October 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Haha!

-signed, Yankees fan!

But we still brahs, brah ; )

#88 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

View PostFinbarr Saunders, on 06 October 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

we can easily erase the last Ryder cup because that was nothing short of embarrassing

WELL GET ON THAT THEN!! FILE A LEGAL APPEAL TO OVERTURN THE RESULTS BECAUSE IT DIDNT GO YOUR WAY!!!!
Posted Image

#89 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,449 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

Make your type size larger. Antartica golf fans didnt hear you ; )

#90 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 06 October 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Make your type size larger. Antartica golf fans didnt hear you ; )

I went bigger font and caps so...

Posted Image

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors