Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Leishman's wife criticizes fan behavior at Prez Cup

140 replies to this topic

#121 mjtoal

mjtoal

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118783
GolfWRX Likes : 533

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:41 AM

View Postchippa13, on 06 October 2017 - 11:54 AM, said:

I love how boorish, immature, and inappropriate conduct at a sporting event is an American-only thing. It feels like noone has even seen a football match overseas. Sure, some US fans act like idiots but it isn't like they've got a monopoly on it.

Oh boo hoo. It isn't just an American thing but the atmosphere at a football (soccer) game is rather different.

The atmosphere at The Open Championship is generally pretty respectful and appreciative. The galleries have their favourites but they aren't simply based on nationality. Phil Mick is a crowd favourite, for example.

The Ryder Cups in 1995 (War on the Shore) and 1999 at Brookline were possibly the low water marks, with the jingoistic war mentality at Kiawah and the shocking crowd (and marshal) behaviour at Brookline. There has never been a RC in Europe which has come close to either, and there never will.

Callaway Epic 10.5 (+1), HZRDUS Black 6.0
Callaway Epic SZ 15 (+1), HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
Calloway Epic SZ 18 (+2),
Callaway Apex 4-PW, Modus 105 S
Vokey, 50 F, 56 V, 60 V, AMT S200
Bettinardi DASS FTUO

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 12070

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:02 AM

View Post4thand11, on 07 October 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

Honestly I have zero patience for obnoxious drunks but I read the entire post by Lieshman's wife and she comes across as overly-sensitive.

For example she criticizes Berger for saying “I mean the goal from the minute we got out here was to just crush them as bad as we can".  Really?  That upsets you so much?  In a team event?

She also criticizes a fan for this: "Someone yelled “Blooming Onion!” to Marc. Check yourself and your facts because that’s not Australian in the least."  She needs to work on her sense of humor - that was clearly said good-naturedly and it's pretty funny imo.  The fact that it is not even Australian is part of the joke, one that clearly went over her head.i would have to find it again on DVr but I caught it live clear as day.  

This sounds like about 80% sour grapes to me.  Yes the NY fans can be obnoxious but I also think she does not get the NY sense of humor at all.  This is an exhibition.  Lighten up a little bit.

Ny sense of humor ?  Lol. You mean like when the Clear New York accent said " wtf you made $10mil and now you can't make a putt " to justin Thomas ?   I'd have to find it on dvr but I heard it live clear as day.  

I'm familiar with the New Yorker.  One of my long time friends is from and still lives in lindenhurst.  And is a retired NYC cop.   I think the world of him. But it's an acquired taste.  Once you're in you are treated well. But as an " outsider " your treated as crap for several years.   I made it through that time because I had no choice.  I had business ties with him and had to play nice.  Years later after business is over we are pals.  Complicated bunch they are.

Edited by bladehunter, 08 October 2017 - 09:03 AM.

17 M2 V2 8  tour head  Aldila Tour Blue 85 TX  (Tour only Rogue Graphics)
17 M1 14.5   tour head Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
17 M2 17.5   tour head Aerotech 70 F6 Prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 3-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw  56 60 Modus 130S
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights
Bridgestone B330S

#123 Finbarr Saunders

Finbarr Saunders

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138955
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

I love how boorish, immature, and inappropriate conduct at a sporting event is an American-only thing. It feels like noone has even seen a football match overseas. Sure, some US fans act like idiots but it isn't like they've got a monopoly on it.

When it comes to golf they do, in fact they own the whole enchilada

#124 aabcuue

aabcuue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107273
  • Ebay ID:aabcuue
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:02 AM

View PostKirkNo-yes, on 06 October 2017 - 06:27 AM, said:

I am all for golf being a gentlemens sport and I really feel that the organizers need to do a better job of policing the "arena" so to speak.  The alcohol being served at 7am needs to be curbed as does some of the other things BUT The Ryder Cup and Pres Cup are literally formulated and designed with a gladiator sport in mind.  This behavior in this environment is not something new and it isn't going to stop.  These event's are the closest thing to a gladiator arena as it gets and the crowd responds accordingly.  I am NOT justifying this at all but saying if you don't like hearing people scream and cheer and boo and jeer then don't go or don't play.   No offense to Marc's wife but the behavior at the President's cup was nowhere near the level of the Ryder Cup.  It's human nature that when things become lopsided and people smell blood in the water ( possible close out / win for US) it will bring out the cutthroat mentality. Again, I'm not saying it was right but the circumstances tilted it toward that.  I am not saying there wasn't anything bad going on but to the level of the Ryder cup at Hazeltine I doubt.  Organizers have a responsibility to keep the players and players families safe from physical harm.  I know this isn't a populist opinion but if she doesn't like hearing people "cheer" against her husband then maybe she shouldn't attend.  This is mano y mano and you literally are playing agains a person not the course or score so THIS isnt' the golf she knows, she is correct. This is gladiator golf.

edit: please don't think I am justifying the actions of some idiots or people who went over the line. I think we are all on the same page that the "idiots" need to go. period.  But just because someone chears for bad shot or boos for a good one doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to watch golf on site.  Alcohol before Noon should be a no no  also.

I agree with you.

However, the many VIP tents all serve alcohol when they open, which is way before noon or 9am.

Have seen plenty of drunks in regular PGA tournaments, FexEx Cup and majors very early every morning. It is a regular but unfortunate occurance as I have seen all too often.

Edited by aabcuue, 10 October 2017 - 03:19 AM.

a 17TM M1 460 9.5* RogueMax 70s 45"
b 16Cobra KingLtd9* Rogue SilverI/O 110msi 60s 45" 1"tip
c Ping G25 8.5* Tour 70x 45"

Titleist 915fd 15* RIP Phenom70s 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

CallawayX20Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm5 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

#125 aabcuue

aabcuue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107273
  • Ebay ID:aabcuue
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

View PostClintDagger, on 06 October 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 06 October 2017 - 09:06 AM, said:

View PostClintDagger, on 06 October 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

I like the rowdy atmosphere.  But you have to draw the line at distracting the other side while they are at play, and saying anything offensive such as personal insults or racist, homophobic, xenophobic, etcetera type statements.  I think we all know that these fans aren't on their best behavior as a group.  Did this group behave excessively bad in comparison to other crowds? It didn't seem like it to me but who knows.

And let's not forget how embarrassing this was for their side.  There has to be a lot of frustration and sour grapes coming out here as well.  That's just human nature.

As to the question aboot these fans vs other Ryder cup etc fans.  I don't know the answer. But look at where it was and I bet you can guess that they were pretty " outspoken".  And I'll leave it at that
Northeast sports fans do have a rep.  But I will say this, in many RCs held in the US you will notice players from the Euro side backing off of shots and chiding the fans at times for poor behavior.  I don't recall that happening one time in this event.  The only thing remotely in that category was Spieth stopping the moving ball on Saturday because fans were mockingly chanting "go, go, go".  It's possible I just missed something.

No your accurate.

Although Spieth was assessed penalty stroke & loss of the hole by the official, the Internationals including the Captains recognized Spieth showing good sportsmanship when he did.

Louie & his partner offered Spieth the next hole in return. Spieth however declined and eventually won the match anyway.

a 17TM M1 460 9.5* RogueMax 70s 45"
b 16Cobra KingLtd9* Rogue SilverI/O 110msi 60s 45" 1"tip
c Ping G25 8.5* Tour 70x 45"

Titleist 915fd 15* RIP Phenom70s 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

CallawayX20Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm5 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

#126 ZAP

ZAP

Major Winner

• 1,208 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165699
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 828

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:55 PM

So after spotting this thread I decided I would do some Youtube searching for fan behavior at Ryder Cup and President Cup events.   Some of the video is plain embarrassing.
I'm no old school fuddy duddy and I actually think some of the heckling is great and creative.   Personally I draw the line and bashing someone's family and screaming expletives at players.    It's just unnecessary and takes away from what is such a great event.  I agree with others that maybe some of this is due to alcohol overconsumption.

Just my 2 cents.

#127 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• 2,062 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 1268

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

Professional golfers need to expect cheering and jeering during President / Ryder Cup type events from the home team crowd.  if they can't handle it they should decline the invitation.

Edited by new2g0lf, 11 October 2017 - 07:06 PM.

#128 lowheel

lowheel

LOWHEEL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
GolfWRX Likes : 1595

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostFinbarr Saunders, on 08 October 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

When it comes to golf they do, in fact they own the whole enchilada

How many sporting events in north america are played to empty stadiums/arenas because of fan behaviour? ( racist remarks/gestures, violent fans, etc..) Ill await your answer when you come down from your ivory tower...

#129 Bubb

Bubb

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5072
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

View Postmjtoal, on 08 October 2017 - 04:41 AM, said:

Oh boo hoo. It isn't just an American thing but the atmosphere at a football (soccer) game is rather different.

The atmosphere at The Open Championship is generally pretty respectful and appreciative. The galleries have their favourites but they aren't simply based on nationality. Phil Mick is a crowd favourite, for example.

The Ryder Cups in 1995 (War on the Shore) and 1999 at Brookline were possibly the low water marks, with the jingoistic war mentality at Kiawah and the shocking crowd (and marshal) behaviour at Brookline. There has never been a RC in Europe which has come close to either, and there never will.
Jingoism is the reason the U.S. kicks a** like no other nation in the history of the earth. You're welcome.

#130 Hankshank

Hankshank

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:44 PM

The only problem is to adjust the booze level in the crowds. At Phoenix 16 you can open the flood gates, but on othe events the babba booeys gets annoying. RC and I guess Presidents is a tough nut. You do not want applauses and "jolly good" but you do have to have a limit. Hazeltine was right on that limit and a little above. Didnt see much of the Presidents.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 Rano85

Rano85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445242
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

Yea, I'm not really sure why people are bringing other sports into the discussion. This is about a golf tournament, and the behaviour of golf fans. How fans behave at a completely different sport, with completely different factors, history and traditions, and completely different demographics is not really relevant.

The difference between Europe and the USA is that the fans that attend golf in Europe know what sport they are attending, and act accordingly. I'm as vociferous a football (soccer) fan as you will ever get, but when I attend a golf or tennis event then I behave accordingly. The problem in the US is that a lot of these guys behave exactly the same way as they would at an NFL or hockey game.

Football, american football, hockey etc are arena sports. Players are engaged in a high tempo, aggressive sport surrounded by a wall of noise. None of this is the case in a sport like golf (or tennis).

#132 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• 2,062 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostRano85, on 12 October 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Yea, I'm not really sure why people are bringing other sports into the discussion. This is about a golf tournament, and the behaviour of golf fans. How fans behave at a completely different sport, with completely different factors, history and traditions, and completely different demographics is not really relevant.

The difference between Europe and the USA is that the fans that attend golf in Europe know what sport they are attending, and act accordingly. I'm as vociferous a football (soccer) fan as you will ever get, but when I attend a golf or tennis event then I behave accordingly. The problem in the US is that a lot of these guys behave exactly the same way as they would at an NFL or hockey game.

Football, american football, hockey etc are arena sports. Players are engaged in a high tempo, aggressive sport surrounded by a wall of noise. None of this is the case in a sport like golf (or tennis).

You can't grow the sport and expand the viewer base without some compromises.  I think it's great the local fans are passionate about cheering their team to victory and I'm okay if that includes some jeering of the opposition.  Ryder / Presidents Cup is a team sport, as long as they don't scream and shout in the middle of a swing they should be encouraged to have a good time, unless you prefer the pro's play on empty courses in complete silence.

#133 bmaas03

bmaas03

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25837
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

These threads always turn out the same way, but I'll add that the vast majority of fans at every sport I've ever attended are well mannered and pleasant.
Like anything in life, if the loud minority wants to be heard, they will be. Don't lump the rest of the crowd into it just because they happen to be within shouting distance.

#134 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2092

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostGnomesteel, on 06 October 2017 - 10:33 AM, said:

The Masters has already figured this out and they serve plenty of beer. No tolerance for that type of behavior. Everyone there knows if you act like a fool they'll kick you out in a heartbeat.

It's awesome. Not sure how they could do that at the Ryder cup. Especially when it's at bethpage, THAT is going to be a shizzzshow for sure. I live near there and might not attend just because of the jerkoff ny obnoxious fans. It's embarassing enough every year at the Barclays can't even imagine the Ryder Cup on the Black. Jeez

Edited by Jasonic, 12 October 2017 - 09:55 AM.

Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

#135 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

View Postnew2g0lf, on 12 October 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

You can't grow the sport and expand the viewer base without some compromises.  I think it's great the local fans are passionate about cheering their team to victory and I'm okay if that includes some jeering of the opposition.  Ryder / Presidents Cup is a team sport, as long as they don't scream and shout in the middle of a swing they should be encouraged to have a good time, unless you prefer the pro's play on empty courses in complete silence.

Yelling mashed potatoes after someone's tee shot is not simply someone having a good time, it's stupid, immature and boorish and they should be escorted off the course and beaten.

#136 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,937 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11072

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

View PostHankshank, on 11 October 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

The only problem is to adjust the booze level in the crowds. At Phoenix 16 you can open the flood gates, but on othe events the babba booeys gets annoying. RC and I guess Presidents is a tough nut. You do not want applauses and "jolly good" but you do have to have a limit. Hazeltine was right on that limit and a little above. Didnt see much of the Presidents.

Total malarkey.  This isn't Norway.  Down here where the sun comes out all year, you can drink and be responsible for your actions.

As stated repeatedly, ANGC sells a ton of beer, when I was there albeit quite a few years back, they were 1 USD and came with a commemorative cup.  We brought home dozens.  Other patrons saw we were collecting them and gave us theirs.  We were college age, my other two friends we're actually frat boys, we drank a lot of beer and acted like respectable human beings.  If not we'd have been asked to leave.

Alcohol isn't the problem.  Over serving jerks and having no standard for behavior is the problem.  Yes, I'd even remove the baba booey boys.  No warning.  In a year or two it would quit being a problem.  Heck, they have hundreds of volunteers, grab the biggest most able explain the rules, give them a radio, and tell them to call the police if anyone resists.  Post huge signs at the gate outlining the policy and a zero tolerance.  Problem solved.

I'm no genius, it's not rocket surgery, but there's no will.  Revenue. Ticket sales. Wanting to tell sponsors how big the gates were.  There's hundreds of free tickets at the gate of most events.  Live bodies wanted.  Drunk and disorderly no problem.  They created the problem, why would they fix it.

Edited by Matt J, 12 October 2017 - 10:35 AM.

#137 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

View PostMatt J, on 12 October 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

View PostHankshank, on 11 October 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

Total malarkey.  This isn't Norway.  Down here where the sun comes out all year, you can drink and be responsible for your actions.

As stated repeatedly, ANGC sells a ton of beer, when I was there albeit quite a few years back, they were 1 USD and came with a commemorative cup.  We brought home dozens.  Other patrons saw we were collecting them and gave us theirs.  We were college age, my other two friends we're actually frat boys, we drank a lot of beer and acted like respectable human beings.  If not we'd have been asked to leave.

Alcohol isn't the problem.  Over serving jerks and having no standard for behavior is the problem.  Yes, I'd even remove the baba booey boys.  No warning.  In a year or two it would quit being a problem.  Heck, they have hundreds of volunteers, grab the biggest most able explain the rules, give them a radio, and tell them to call the police if anyone resists.  Post huge signs at the gate outlining the policy and a zero tolerance.  Problem solved.

I'm no genius, it's not rocket surgery, but there's no will.  Revenue. Ticket sales. Wanting to tell sponsors how big the gates were.  There's hundreds of free tickets at the gate of most events.  Live bodies wanted.  Drunk and disorderly no problem.  They created the problem, why would they fix it.

Exactly, drunken dooshbags not made to "act responsibly" is the problem really. Grow up losers.

Rocket surgery?? Lol

#138 Rano85

Rano85

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445242
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

I have no issue with the noise between shots, the singing, the jeering, the bantering with players etc. I have do have an issue with shouting during a swing, and particularly the class-less insults along the lines of "suck a dick" and "f*ck you Seve".

#139 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• 2,062 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

View PostRano85, on 12 October 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

I have no issue with the noise between shots, the singing, the jeering, the bantering with players etc. I have do have an issue with shouting during a swing, and particularly the class-less insults along the lines of "suck a dick" and "f*ck you Seve".

I agree, anyone that does those things should be asked to leave or escorted out.

#140 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 19,449 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 13638

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostBubb, on 11 October 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Jingoism is the reason the U.S. kicks a** like no other nation in the history of the earth. You're welcome.

Kickin @ss like no other nation

We eat our burgers with a pound of bacon!

Posted Image

Peace

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#141 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • 13,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 12070

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:26 PM

View Postbscinstnct, on 12 October 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostBubb, on 11 October 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

Kickin @ss like no other nation

We eat our burgers with a pound of bacon!

Posted Image

Peace

Good old days right there.  Man I feel old. Fell in love with a girl ( my wife ) who was driving a 5.0 mustang because of that video.  Lol.  We still have that one and one more 5.0.  Cause of course I had to have one too.  Lol.    She has that tape in the cassette deck of hers right now I have zero doubt.  That or  MC hammer.    I'll stop now. And see myself out. 😃

Edited by bladehunter, 12 October 2017 - 05:27 PM.

17 M2 V2 8  tour head  Aldila Tour Blue 85 TX  (Tour only Rogue Graphics)
17 M1 14.5   tour head Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
17 M2 17.5   tour head Aerotech 70 F6 Prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 3-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw  56 60 Modus 130S
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights
Bridgestone B330S

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors