Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New PGA tour drug testing policy


99 replies to this topic

#1 Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439120
  • Joined: 08/31/2016
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

https://www.usatoday...ason/103032484/

seems long overdue

you all think this has much effect on the current/future game?

never made sense to me why a golfer would want to take HGH or anabolic steroids but if you are going to drug test it should cover everything

keep the Tiger comments/speculation out of this please

cheers

910 D3
i25 3W
913h
714 CB 3-P
sm6 52F, 58M
scotty del mar
proV1x

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 MidwestGolfBum

MidwestGolfBum

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 929 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304799
  • Joined: 03/31/2014
  • Location:No Coast, USA
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

I'm guessing it will have little to no effect on the game going forward. Given that we heard nothing (and I'm guessing we would have) about any of the PGA based guys not passing the olympic testing, it can't really be that big of an issue. Of course, I don't know if there's actually an issue, but it's not like any of these guys are actually huge when you look at them compared to guys who are playing contact sports. They are certainly fit, for the most part, which will show muscle definition, but beyond that, no.
Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125 TX 70
Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
Titleist 19.5* 816 H2 HZRDUS Hybrid 85G X
Titleist 714 MB 4-9 KBS Tour-V X or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 KBS Tour-V S Hard-Stepped
Vokey SM5, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 all with hard stepped KBS Tour-V S
Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

2

#3 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 702

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM

There's so much more to PED's than HGH and anabolics. The mere fact that a pro athlete could even recover say... 10% faster rate than his peer who isn't on any type of drug is a massive advantage over the long haul, or even the short haul when just 1 stroke matters. I can't imagine hitting 600+ balls a week, walking over 15 miles a week and not having my shoulders and back be completely wrecked. Any kind of enhancement or substance that might make me recover from my athletic activity quicker than a competitor shouldn't be allowed, and it should be tested for.

I think this is a step in the right direction to ensure 100% (or as close as possible to) fair play.

Edited by Z1ggy16, 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM.

Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: Cobra Forged TEC 5-GW
SW: Cobra PUR
LW: Cobra PUR
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

  

3

#4 Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 439120
  • Joined: 08/31/2016
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 207

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

I can see how quicker recovery would help some but by and far I think the types of drugs which have the biggest potential for abuse in golf are amphetamines and beta blockers... although some can use these if they have a therapeutic exemption, I believe.
910 D3
i25 3W
913h
714 CB 3-P
sm6 52F, 58M
scotty del mar
proV1x

4

#5 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
  • Joined: 07/15/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 1645

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

There's so much more to PED's than HGH and anabolics. The mere fact that a pro athlete could even recover say... 10% faster rate than his peer who isn't on any type of drug is a massive advantage over the long haul, or even the short haul when just 1 stroke matters. I can't imagine hitting 600+ balls a week, walking over 15 miles a week and not having my shoulders and back be completely wrecked. Any kind of enhancement or substance that might make me recover from my athletic activity quicker than a competitor shouldn't be allowed, and it should be tested for.

I think this is a step in the right direction to ensure 100% (or as close as possible to) fair play.

I don't understand people who think pro golf requires you to be in superhuman shape.  It just doesn't.

There are grossly overweight golfers and guys who smoke who do it just fine.


5

#6 sandy

sandy

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,700 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
  • Joined: 07/11/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

Hopefully it is applied to the Long Drive participants as well.. HMM!!!

6

#7 Circaflex

Circaflex

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360919
  • Joined: 02/03/2015
  • Location:Orange County, CA
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

View PostCool Hand Luke, on 04 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

never made sense to me why a golfer would want to take HGH or anabolic steroids

I am surprised how often people say this. One of the main benefits of HGH is helping recover from injury. It helps keep the player on the field, similar to why a basketball player would take HGH. They aren't trying to get big, they want to help decrease recovery time, especially at the end of a season.

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hopefully it is applied to the Long Drive participants as well.. HMM!!!
We'd be left with like one or two competitors then, ha. It is pretty obvious, most of those guys are taking steroids.

Edited by Circaflex, 04 October 2017 - 05:21 PM.

Current Bag:
TM M2 10.5 w/ ACCRA FX-270
TM Burner 07 3W
TM Tour Preferred 2 UDI
Ping i200 4-UW w/ Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 54SS / 60TS
Betti BB40
Sunfish Knit
Arccos360

7

#8 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 676

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:20 PM

View PostMidwestGolfBum, on 04 October 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Given that we heard nothing (and I'm guessing we would have) about any of the PGA based guys not passing the olympic testing, it can't really be that big of an issue.

Yeah, because no talented PGA players skipped the Olympics (and its testing regime) for unknown reasons.

8

#9 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 702

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

View PostTitleist 670, on 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

There's so much more to PED's than HGH and anabolics. The mere fact that a pro athlete could even recover say... 10% faster rate than his peer who isn't on any type of drug is a massive advantage over the long haul, or even the short haul when just 1 stroke matters. I can't imagine hitting 600+ balls a week, walking over 15 miles a week and not having my shoulders and back be completely wrecked. Any kind of enhancement or substance that might make me recover from my athletic activity quicker than a competitor shouldn't be allowed, and it should be tested for.

I think this is a step in the right direction to ensure 100% (or as close as possible to) fair play.

I don't understand people who think pro golf requires you to be in superhuman shape.  It just doesn't.

There are grossly overweight golfers and guys who smoke who do it just fine.
Being a pro golfer puts tremendous stress on your body. Looks at guys like Rory, Tiger, day... Who have jacked up backs, from a game so benign. It's not so much about "being in shape" than it is about having a fast recovery for your muscles so you can play at peak tippy top performance every single week of the season.

I think you under estimate the toll it probably does take on their body, especially ones who restrict hip movement.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: Cobra Forged TEC 5-GW
SW: Cobra PUR
LW: Cobra PUR
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

  

9

#10 RSinSG

RSinSG

    What, Me Worry?

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Joined: 03/10/2014
  • Location:St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:RSinPS
GolfWRX Likes : 1484

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostTitleist 670, on 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:



I don't understand people who think pro golf requires you to be in superhuman shape.  It just doesn't.

There are grossly overweight golfers and guys who smoke who do it just fine.

I play 3x a week. Two of the times I walk, and after reading your post about fat guys and smokers I thought about all the guys in my two leagues that walk. Not one of them is grossly overweight. I've never seen any of the walkers smoke either. There are a lot of those types in league, but they all ride.

Considering the hilly nature and length of many of the courses the tour guys walk combined with all the range time, having an edge through artificial means is probably very appealing to some.

Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 17* and 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW
Ping Glide 58* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf
https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4760

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:37 PM

View PostCircaflex, on 04 October 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostCool Hand Luke, on 04 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

never made sense to me why a golfer would want to take HGH or anabolic steroids

I am surprised how often people say this. One of the main benefits of HGH is helping recover from injury. It helps keep the player on the field, similar to why a basketball player would take HGH. They aren't trying to get big, they want to help decrease recovery time, especially at the end of a season.

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hopefully it is applied to the Long Drive participants as well.. HMM!!!
We'd be left with like one or two competitors then, ha. It is pretty obvious, most of those guys are taking steroids.
They must have the worst testing program then because they have been clean and testing for years.
  Too many of us lazy guys think all buff guys are cheating.
TM M1 8.5*  Tensei Pro White 50TX
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Cleveland  RTX CB 50* 54* 58* Nippon 125 wedge
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

11

#12 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 702

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

View PostRSinSG, on 04 October 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostTitleist 670, on 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

I don't understand people who think pro golf requires you to be in superhuman shape.  It just doesn't.

There are grossly overweight golfers and guys who smoke who do it just fine.

I play 3x a week. Two of the times I walk, and after reading your post about fat guys and smokers I thought about all the guys in my two leagues that walk. Not one of them is grossly overweight. I've never seen any of the walkers smoke either. There are a lot of those types in league, but they all ride.

Considering the hilly nature and length of many of the courses the tour guys walk combined with all the range time, having an edge through artificial means is probably very appealing to some.
Plus who on PGA who's actuallygood "grossly" over weight. If your idea of great PGA golfer is the Duff or Big Jon... then... meh..

I'd say most PGA guys are in pretty good shape and almost none of them are grossly overweight, let alone over weight. Maybe Leishman and Perez are the two who come to mind, but with any rule there are always exceptions. Most pro's, men and women take fitness and healthy life style pretty serious. Somebody like Lexi, she's playing 5 rounds a week, in the gym every week and probably hits over 600 balls between warm up, pro-am, and rounds.

I don't know about everybody else, but when I walk 18 on a decently slopey course my feet and knees hurt a little after, and I'm not old or in bad shape. Doing that every week 3-5 times a week for like 6-7 months... Yeah I'd maybe entertain things that could help me not feel so beat up.
Driver: M2
3w: XR16
Hybrid(3): JPX-850
Hybrid(4): 816H1
Irons: Cobra Forged TEC 5-GW
SW: Cobra PUR
LW: Cobra PUR
Putter: O-works #1
Ball: '16 ProV1
Bag: Sun Mountain 2Five/Sun Mountain Sync
Shoe: Puma Biodrive

  

12

#13 Circaflex

Circaflex

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 360919
  • Joined: 02/03/2015
  • Location:Orange County, CA
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostCircaflex, on 04 October 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostCool Hand Luke, on 04 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

never made sense to me why a golfer would want to take HGH or anabolic steroids

I am surprised how often people say this. One of the main benefits of HGH is helping recover from injury. It helps keep the player on the field, similar to why a basketball player would take HGH. They aren't trying to get big, they want to help decrease recovery time, especially at the end of a season.

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hopefully it is applied to the Long Drive participants as well.. HMM!!!
We'd be left with like one or two competitors then, ha. It is pretty obvious, most of those guys are taking steroids.
They must have the worst testing program then because they have been clean and testing for years.
  Too many of us lazy guys think all buff guys are cheating.
It isn't hard to beat a test... If you think the human body looks that way naturally, I am not sure what to tell you. It is pretty obvious a few of those guy are on some sort of PED.
Current Bag:
TM M2 10.5 w/ ACCRA FX-270
TM Burner 07 3W
TM Tour Preferred 2 UDI
Ping i200 4-UW w/ Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 54SS / 60TS
Betti BB40
Sunfish Knit
Arccos360

13

#14 Carvallo Golf

Carvallo Golf

    Splash Pad Gangsta

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 474344
  • Joined: 07/09/2017
  • Location:Southern Ontario Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostTitleist 670, on 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

There's so much more to PED's than HGH and anabolics. The mere fact that a pro athlete could even recover say... 10% faster rate than his peer who isn't on any type of drug is a massive advantage over the long haul, or even the short haul when just 1 stroke matters. I can't imagine hitting 600+ balls a week, walking over 15 miles a week and not having my shoulders and back be completely wrecked. Any kind of enhancement or substance that might make me recover from my athletic activity quicker than a competitor shouldn't be allowed, and it should be tested for.

I think this is a step in the right direction to ensure 100% (or as close as possible to) fair play.

I don't understand people who think pro golf requires you to be in superhuman shape.  It just doesn't.

There are grossly overweight golfers and guys who smoke who do it just fine.

They also have 24/7 access to top level trainers/physio/massage therapists.  I could hit balls all day and play 6-8 rounds a week if I had a good massage therapist/physio on stand by.  Without it I'm limited to 1-3 rounds/week and maybe 200-400 balls /week at the range MAX.

Edited by Carvallo Golf, 04 October 2017 - 05:50 PM.

Current WITB:
Driver: Taylormade R7 TP 8.5
Fwy Woods: undecided at the moment
Irons: 1974 Hogan Director 2-9 all custom length and lofts(21-48 deg)
Wedges: Cobra One length 54&60 deg w/TT DG X100
Putter: Slotline HMI w/Superstroke Slim 3.0
Ball: TP5 (bye bye bridgestone)

14

#15 Mr. Herbert

Mr. Herbert

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77823
  • Joined: 03/19/2009
  • Location:Quahog, RI
  • Handicap:Gin
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostCircaflex, on 04 October 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostCool Hand Luke, on 04 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

never made sense to me why a golfer would want to take HGH or anabolic steroids

I am surprised how often people say this. One of the main benefits of HGH is helping recover from injury. It helps keep the player on the field, similar to why a basketball player would take HGH. They aren't trying to get big, they want to help decrease recovery time, especially at the end of a season.

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hopefully it is applied to the Long Drive participants as well.. HMM!!!
We'd be left with like one or two competitors then, ha. It is pretty obvious, most of those guys are taking steroids.
They must have the worst testing program then because they have been clean and testing for years.
  Too many of us lazy guys think all buff guys are cheating.

Nobody ever flunked a drug test. They just flunked in their ability to mask it.


15

#16 Outlier

Outlier

    OUTLIER

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105230
  • Joined: 03/23/2010
  • Location:Ice Cold in Charlotte, NC
  • Handicap:1906
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:33 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 04 October 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostMidwestGolfBum, on 04 October 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Given that we heard nothing (and I'm guessing we would have) about any of the PGA based guys not passing the olympic testing, it can't really be that big of an issue.

Yeah, because no talented PGA players skipped the Olympics (and its testing regime) for unknown reasons.
HMMMMMMM....honestly can say i hadn't thought about that.  Now that you mention it...yup I think you are on to something.  Zika my arse!

Occam's Razor strikes again!!!!

16

#17 Outlier

Outlier

    OUTLIER

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105230
  • Joined: 03/23/2010
  • Location:Ice Cold in Charlotte, NC
  • Handicap:1906
GolfWRX Likes : 277

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostCircaflex, on 04 October 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostCircaflex, on 04 October 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostCool Hand Luke, on 04 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

never made sense to me why a golfer would want to take HGH or anabolic steroids

I am surprised how often people say this. One of the main benefits of HGH is helping recover from injury. It helps keep the player on the field, similar to why a basketball player would take HGH. They aren't trying to get big, they want to help decrease recovery time, especially at the end of a season.

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hopefully it is applied to the Long Drive participants as well.. HMM!!!
We'd be left with like one or two competitors then, ha. It is pretty obvious, most of those guys are taking steroids.
They must have the worst testing program then because they have been clean and testing for years.
  Too many of us lazy guys think all buff guys are cheating.
It isn't hard to beat a test... If you think the human body looks that way naturally, I am not sure what to tell you. It is pretty obvious a few of those guy are on some sort of PED.

Maybe in Australia they just have better genes.

17

#18 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
  • Joined: 12/17/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 676

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostOutlier, on 04 October 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

View Postraynorfan1, on 04 October 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostMidwestGolfBum, on 04 October 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

Given that we heard nothing (and I'm guessing we would have) about any of the PGA based guys not passing the olympic testing, it can't really be that big of an issue.

Yeah, because no talented PGA players skipped the Olympics (and its testing regime) for unknown reasons.
HMMMMMMM....honestly can say i hadn't thought about that.  Now that you mention it...yup I think you are on to something.  Zika my arse!

Occam's Razor strikes again!!!!

Riiight...Zika, that's the ticket. No zika in Florida, where all of these guys live...

18

#19 sandy

sandy

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,700 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
  • Joined: 07/11/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostCircaflex, on 04 October 2017 - 05:45 PM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostCircaflex, on 04 October 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostCool Hand Luke, on 04 October 2017 - 02:52 PM, said:

never made sense to me why a golfer would want to take HGH or anabolic steroids

I am surprised how often people say this. One of the main benefits of HGH is helping recover from injury. It helps keep the player on the field, similar to why a basketball player would take HGH. They aren't trying to get big, they want to help decrease recovery time, especially at the end of a season.

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Hopefully it is applied to the Long Drive participants as well.. HMM!!!
We'd be left with like one or two competitors then, ha. It is pretty obvious, most of those guys are taking steroids.
They must have the worst testing program then because they have been clean and testing for years.
  Too many of us lazy guys think all buff guys are cheating.
It isn't hard to beat a test... If you think the human body looks that way naturally, I am not sure what to tell you. It is pretty obvious a few of those guy are on some sort of PED.

He probably thinks all those body builders back in the day did it on aspirin and Wheat Germ

19

#20 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4760

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:


He probably thinks all those body builders back in the day did it on aspirin and Wheat Germ
I take it you guys are of the belief that just about every pro athlete is cheating? Perhaps you're right and I'm naive but every football (American) and many basketball players are more ripped than the long drive guys. Case in point Sadlowski.

TM M1 8.5*  Tensei Pro White 50TX
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Cleveland  RTX CB 50* 54* 58* Nippon 125 wedge
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
  • Joined: 03/17/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 12773

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:40 PM

Nobodys taking drugs.

Maybe one offs on the fringe.

But golf is not a game you mess with if your talent got you there.

Dont need muscle. Dont need endurance.

Maybe, like someone said, beta blockers. Can they test for that?

Also, they could catch guys taking recreational drugs.

Edited by bscinstnct, 04 October 2017 - 07:44 PM.


21

#22 Titleist 670

Titleist 670

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 192258
  • Joined: 07/15/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 1645

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 04 October 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

View PostRSinSG, on 04 October 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostTitleist 670, on 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

I don't understand people who think pro golf requires you to be in superhuman shape.  It just doesn't.

There are grossly overweight golfers and guys who smoke who do it just fine.

I play 3x a week. Two of the times I walk, and after reading your post about fat guys and smokers I thought about all the guys in my two leagues that walk. Not one of them is grossly overweight. I've never seen any of the walkers smoke either. There are a lot of those types in league, but they all ride.

Considering the hilly nature and length of many of the courses the tour guys walk combined with all the range time, having an edge through artificial means is probably very appealing to some.
Plus who on PGA who's actuallygood "grossly" over weight. If your idea of great PGA golfer is the Duff or Big Jon... then... meh..

I'd say most PGA guys are in pretty good shape and almost none of them are grossly overweight, let alone over weight. Maybe Leishman and Perez are the two who come to mind, but with any rule there are always exceptions. Most pro's, men and women take fitness and healthy life style pretty serious. Somebody like Lexi, she's playing 5 rounds a week, in the gym every week and probably hits over 600 balls between warm up, pro-am, and rounds.

I don't know about everybody else, but when I walk 18 on a decently slopey course my feet and knees hurt a little after, and I'm not old or in bad shape. Doing that every week 3-5 times a week for like 6-7 months... Yeah I'd maybe entertain things that could help me not feel so beat up.

Yeah, my first thought attending Tour events is wondering how the guys aren't blood doping because walking around the course not carrying their bag must be so brutal.

22

#23 Mr. Herbert

Mr. Herbert

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77823
  • Joined: 03/19/2009
  • Location:Quahog, RI
  • Handicap:Gin
GolfWRX Likes : 452

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:


He probably thinks all those body builders back in the day did it on aspirin and Wheat Germ
I take it you guys are of the belief that just about every pro athlete is cheating? Perhaps you're right and I'm naive but every football (American) and many basketball players are more ripped than the long drive guys. Case in point Sadlowski.

It's not that you're naive, it's that you're still thinking like it's 1985 and anyone using PEDs should have a body like Hulk Hogan. That's not what they're being used for so much anymore.  Look at the list of baseball players who have been suspended.  Yes, some of them were trying to gain muscle for more power.  But a large percentage of them are relief pitchers. Those guys aren't trying to bulk up, they're trying to recover quicker because their livelihood depends on them being able to pitch effectively day after day.  They can't wear out or they won't stick around.

You brought up Sadlowski, I'll bring up Floyd Landis.  He weighed 120 pounds tops, but he got caught using testosterone.  He certainly wasn't trying to bulk up or add muscle.  He was trying to recover between grueling stages of the Tour de France.

I'm not accusing Sadlowski of anything, but you can't use his body type as evidence that he isn't.  That's antiquated thinking.

23

#24 Ping Player

Ping Player

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16175
  • Joined: 07/13/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

I think some have mentioned testosterone. This will help athletes recover quicker. And dosage can be given that even when testing would give the appearance of being in a normal range. In conjunction with that would be Sermorelin. This helps the body naturally produce HGH. Both of these together would help athletes recover much faster than normal, especially older athletes. Both would be very difficult to detect.

24

#25 BenHoganSlam1953

BenHoganSlam1953

    Professional Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225599
  • Joined: 01/30/2013
  • Location:Quebec
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

Where there is money on the line there will be those that push the limits to get an edge ... of course, no one wants their meal ticket to get caught so I cannot blame the PGA tour for delaying it as long as they did ... the issue is what is the line? If alcohol allows one to get through issues with nerves isn't it giving one an edge - what about coffee to pick on up in the morning, or cigars. Truth is - no one cares whether their star takes drugs to enhance their performance - they just care whether they are attached to them when they get caught.

Bridgestone J40 445
X2 Hot Pro 15/19
MP-32 4i - PW
SM5 54F, 59M, SM4 63T
Nike Unitizedtechno
opti-vibe weighting

25

#26 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4760

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostMr. Herbert, on 04 October 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Postsandy, on 04 October 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:


He probably thinks all those body builders back in the day did it on aspirin and Wheat Germ
I take it you guys are of the belief that just about every pro athlete is cheating? Perhaps you're right and I'm naive but every football (American) and many basketball players are more ripped than the long drive guys. Case in point Sadlowski.

It's not that you're naive, it's that you're still thinking like it's 1985 and anyone using PEDs should have a body like Hulk Hogan. That's not what they're being used for so much anymore.  Look at the list of baseball players who have been suspended.  Yes, some of them were trying to gain muscle for more power.  But a large percentage of them are relief pitchers. Those guys aren't trying to bulk up, they're trying to recover quicker because their livelihood depends on them being able to pitch effectively day after day.  They can't wear out or they won't stick around.

You brought up Sadlowski, I'll bring up Floyd Landis.  He weighed 120 pounds tops, but he got caught using testosterone.  He certainly wasn't trying to bulk up or add muscle.  He was trying to recover between grueling stages of the Tour de France.

I'm not accusing Sadlowski of anything, but you can't use his body type as evidence that he isn't.  That's antiquated thinking.
The posts I replied to said they can just SEE the long drive guys are doping. Obviously referring to size.  No one can tell guys are doing just by looking at them.  Except the experts online of course.
TM M1 8.5*  Tensei Pro White 50TX
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Cleveland  RTX CB 50* 54* 58* Nippon 125 wedge
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

26

#27 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Joined: 04/24/2013
  • Location:Northern California
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3474

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

View PostBenHoganSlam1953, on 04 October 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Where there is money on the line there will be those that push the limits to get an edge ... of course, no one wants their meal ticket to get caught so I cannot blame the PGA tour for delaying it as long as they did ... the issue is what is the line? If alcohol allows one to get through issues with nerves isn't it giving one an edge - what about coffee to pick on up in the morning, or cigars. Truth is - no one cares whether their star takes drugs to enhance their performance - they just care whether they are attached to them when they get caught.

What you mean is that you don't care.  I certainly do.  It may be old fashioned to some, but an even playing field is the heart of all sport.  Once you lose that, your sport is forever tainted.  The number of sports where good results are automatically questioned is pretty long.  Track & Field, cycling, boxing, football, baseball, it goes on and on.  When you have a basically clean sport, it doesn't hurt to keep it that way and it doesn't hurt to let fans know it's clean.
Driver:  Titleist 917D2 10.5*
Fairway Woods:  Titleist 917 F2 16.5*
                            Titleist 917 F2  21*
Hybrid:  Titleist 816 H1  23*
Irons:  Titleist 718 AP1's
Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind  58* & 64*
Putter:  Odyssey O-Works Black #2M CS.

"Scratch in 2018"

27

#28 BenHoganSlam1953

BenHoganSlam1953

    Professional Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225599
  • Joined: 01/30/2013
  • Location:Quebec
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 04 October 2017 - 10:36 PM, said:

View PostBenHoganSlam1953, on 04 October 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

Where there is money on the line there will be those that push the limits to get an edge ... of course, no one wants their meal ticket to get caught so I cannot blame the PGA tour for delaying it as long as they did ... the issue is what is the line? If alcohol allows one to get through issues with nerves isn't it giving one an edge - what about coffee to pick on up in the morning, or cigars. Truth is - many do not one cares whether their star takes drugs to enhance their performance - they just care whether they are attached to them when they get caught.

What you mean is that you don't care.  I certainly do.  It may be old fashioned to some, but an even playing field is the heart of all sport.  Once you lose that, your sport is forever tainted.  The number of sports where good results are automatically questioned is pretty long.  Track & Field, cycling, boxing, football, baseball, it goes on and on.  When you have a basically clean sport, it doesn't hurt to keep it that way and it doesn't hurt to let fans know it's clean.

No that is not what I meant - nor what I said ... however, I'll tweak what I did write "Truth is - many of those who make money from their stars (and those who hold them up as sports heroes) do not think of, and even prefer to deny the possibility of enhancements when it surfaces, when their sport star is at their best - at least until it happens they are caught/confirmed to be cheating and cannot be denied any longer"

It would be wonderful if lies, cheating, drugs and corruption was not only removed from sports, but from our society ... one can always dream
In a tournament this summer I touched the ball when setting up and moved it maybe 1/2 inch or less (only 3-4 inches from the hole), but it definitely moved - so there went my par
Bridgestone J40 445
X2 Hot Pro 15/19
MP-32 4i - PW
SM5 54F, 59M, SM4 63T
Nike Unitizedtechno
opti-vibe weighting

28

#29 md1m

md1m

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
  • Joined: 05/07/2014
  • Location:Central Texas
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

View PostTitleist 670, on 04 October 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 04 October 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

There's so much more to PED's than HGH and anabolics. The mere fact that a pro athlete could even recover say... 10% faster rate than his peer who isn't on any type of drug is a massive advantage over the long haul, or even the short haul when just 1 stroke matters. I can't imagine hitting 600+ balls a week, walking over 15 miles a week and not having my shoulders and back be completely wrecked. Any kind of enhancement or substance that might make me recover from my athletic activity quicker than a competitor shouldn't be allowed, and it should be tested for.

I think this is a step in the right direction to ensure 100% (or as close as possible to) fair play.

I don't understand people who think pro golf requires you to be in superhuman shape.  It just doesn't.

There are grossly overweight golfers and guys who smoke who do it just fine.

Tuesday (and maybe Monday) practice round, Wed pro-am, then four rounds of highly competitive golf in all kinds of conditions (wind, rain, heat). You try doing that every week along with everything else they have to do and see how easy it is after a few months.  I'm guessing you haven't experienced anything like that, but one week of that would be too much for most people.
Clubs are fluid

29

#30 slimeone

slimeone

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 328273
  • Joined: 07/21/2014
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia
GolfWRX Likes : 514

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:03 AM

Another red flag about PEDs in golf is that the risk-reward ratio is so high. With the amount of money on offer and the opportunity to cheat with low chance of being caught, and if you get caught you can take leave and will keep your reputation intact (which means you won't lose your sponsors) and with human nature being as it is, there's guys out there cheating for sure.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors