Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Would you play a short course with a shorter flight ball

47 replies to this topic

#31 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119065
GolfWRX Likes : 852

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

I think the argument for "no" presumes that you are able to continue the status quo. If the only way to play golf was using balls that went 90% as far, none of us would stop playing.

There actually is precedent here - since the USGA put the COR rules on drivers, how many people have opted to play with "illegal" drivers? How many gave up the sport? If the USGA did the same for balls, why would the outcome be different?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
GolfWRX Likes : 3903

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:54 PM

The so-called hot drivers were only played by one golfer in a thousand and even then for only a few month or maybe a year or two at most. There was some grumbling but it was more about the "principle" rather than people actually losing the usage of clubs they'd had in the bag for a while.

If they had chosen a lower ODS criterion in the first few months after the ProV1 debuted there would been some grumbling but a year or two later nobody would have cared. There is a big difference in outlawing something that was coming down the pike or that had been used by a few people briefly vs. outlawing something that everyone has taken for granted for 15 years.

For goodness sake, a substantial portion of golfers today can't remember ever playing anything but balls of fairly modern specifications.

Nobody would quit playing golf if USGA decided to outlaw current golf balls in favor of a substantial rollback. They would just quit giving a damn what USGA says and keep on with the status quo. And USGA know that quite well I'm sure.
Engaged in the eternal search for the elusive Swedish meatball cores...

#33 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 October 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Nobody would quit playing golf if USGA decided to outlaw current golf balls in favor of a substantial rollback. They would just quit giving a damn what USGA says and keep on with the status quo. And USGA know that quite well I'm sure.

The USGA rolled back wedge design a few years ago. I don't think anybody makes a square / U groove wedge any more. Some grumbling, but nobody cared. If the USGA implemented a ball roll back the same way, I'm confident that it would have the same results. All it would take is the PGA Tour to switch to the new ball and the sport would fall into line.

#34 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

Are we really going to re-do the entire 100-page "Ball goes too far" thread here?

No, I'm not.

#35 CMCSGolf

CMCSGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 441076
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:51 PM

I agree, no need to rehash the ball going to far because it does not go to far for 90-95% of golfers.  The vast majority of us should play with the standard ball of today, but if we were all forced to switch by the golf gods, I think it would be just fine and most of us would be just as happy to waste our time and money on the course.

Edited by CMCSGolf, 05 October 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#36 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:52 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 05 October 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

Are we really going to re-do the entire 100-page "Ball goes too far" thread here?

No, I'm not.

Fair point.

I tend to think the basic premise of the thread is misplaced. It assumes that making the game more affordable would increase participation levels, and that increasing participation levels is desirable. Not to invoke another hundred page thread...but from where I sit, the game is in pretty good shape.

#37 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
GolfWRX Likes : 1585

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 05 October 2017 - 12:45 PM, said:

I think the argument for "no" presumes that you are able to continue the status quo. If the only way to play golf was using balls that went 90% as far, none of us would stop playing.

There actually is precedent here - since the USGA put the COR rules on drivers, how many people have opted to play with "illegal" drivers? How many gave up the sport? If the USGA did the same for balls, why would the outcome be different?
Not trying to be a wiseguy, but you would be happy hitting a drive of 225 with a restricted flight ball rather than 250 with a current ball?

#38 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

View Postcaniac6, on 05 October 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Not trying to be a wiseguy, but you would be happy hitting a drive of 225 with a restricted flight ball rather than 250 with a current ball?

I'm happy hitting a current ball 250 with a COR restricted driver. There are non conforming balls and clubs in the world now, and I don't use them.

So yeah, I think I'd just get used to it.

We use limited flight balls on our range for any shot you think will carry >225 (so, basically for woods). If I walk up to the starter tomorrow and he says that everybody is playing the yellow balls from the forward tees, I'd be fine with it. The game wouldn't be really any different.

But I have no idea what we would have "solved" in deciding to play that way.

Edited by raynorfan1, 05 October 2017 - 04:51 PM.

#39 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3230

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

No.

#40 caniac6

caniac6

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222453
GolfWRX Likes : 1585

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

View Postraynorfan1, on 05 October 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

I'm happy hitting a current ball 250 with a COR restricted driver. There are non conforming balls and clubs in the world now, and I don't use them.

I would never consider using non conforming equipment, but I don't want to lose distance based on equipment, either. I am getting older (63), and I missed six weeks due to surgery, so I have lost some strength and distance. At my age, I am only going to get shorter. For most golfers, the ball does not go too far. The ball seems to be the target, but big drivers, graphite shafts, improved course conditions are big contributors to distance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 raynorfan1

raynorfan1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

View Postcaniac6, on 05 October 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

View Postraynorfan1, on 05 October 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

I would never consider using non conforming equipment, but I don't want to lose distance based on equipment, either. I am getting older (63), and I missed six weeks due to surgery, so I have lost some strength and distance. At my age, I am only going to get shorter. For most golfers, the ball does not go too far. The ball seems to be the target, but big drivers, graphite shafts, improved course conditions are big contributors to distance.

But remember, part of the fictional premise of the OP is that the course is commensurately shorter, so you haven't lost any distance on a relative basis.

Edited by raynorfan1, 05 October 2017 - 05:26 PM.

#42 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Well in theory I could get used to Badminton balls, clubs with no grooves, playing with a set of only three clubs, putting on sand greens or playing in the dark at night if I had to. The question is why would it even be a consideration. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it is desirable.

#43 md1m

md1m

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

Yes I would. Most of the responses seem to be along the lines of "they couldn't handle their shots going shorter" and "I'm used to the current distances". I'm good at math and don't have a WRX ego, so I think it would be fun to play a limited flight course. Added bonus is I would walk instead of riding a cart, so would get more exercise also.
Clubs are fluid

#44 b.helts

b.helts

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100214
GolfWRX Likes : 2051

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

I absolutely would. I think it would be fun. For me to do it on a regular basis the golf course would have to be fun and challenging. But most importantly the experience with the ball would have to be authentic. The ball's the key.

#45 GTgolf

GTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296579
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

Yea. Same objective. As long as I know distances the ball will fly per club, I would have fun.

#46 Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Andrew Bond of Glencoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371925
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 316

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

The majority of answers are no which to me kind of proves how stupid of an idea this is. The shorter ball is only an "ok" idea if you can drive the ball 320+.

#47 md1m

md1m

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 313547
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostAndrew Bond of Glencoe, on 17 October 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

The majority of answers are no which to me kind of proves how stupid of an idea this is. The shorter ball is only an "ok" idea if you can drive the ball 320+.

This is only true if one's ego can't take the thought shots going shorter than they currently go. If I knew that my shots would go x% of their current distance, I have no trouble with it. Being able to walk and play a 2 hr round rather than taking a cart (yes, you can walk a traditional 18 but not very well in TX in the summer) to play in 4 hours - if you're lucky - sounds like a great idea to me. And it would cost less also because much less land would be needed.

Doesn't mean it's a stupid idea just because a lot of WRX'ers couldn't handle the hit to the ego. Could draw in people who don't want to have a round of golf take all day.
Clubs are fluid

#48 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1336

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

View Postdisco111, on 04 October 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

This is driven by another thread about the decline of golf. I remember Jack Nicklaus some years back, addressing this subject. Courses could be half the size, thus reducing overall costs.and play wise with the restricted flight ball, your 300 yd drive might only be 180-190, but if you can adjust to the mindset, it could be good for the general majority playing the game and keeping more players in the game.....................Thoughts!

No.  Not interested. I enjoy the game as it's played today.  There is no need to change it.

Edited by Roadking2003, 18 October 2017 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors