Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Rory Mcilroy Taylormade Fitting - D8 Swingweight!


48 replies to this topic

#31 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 2003

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

Immune??? Are you saying I may have been vaccinated as a child or that I have good genes?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 lowheel

lowheel

    LOWHEEL

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 2088

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

 tgoodspe1991, on 03 October 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

I never knew so many people are all about such a heavy swingweight, especially in their drivers... I'm around a 115mph on my normal swings, and I feel like most drivers I play are always like around D0-2... I might throw some extra weight in there and see what the result is!

Youre at the tour average SS so yes its worth a shot to tinker. most pros on tour hotmelt like crazy because they use crowbar shafts and its very hard to load them and feel the head

2

#33 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1467

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

How do I go about figuring out my SW? I have no idea what mine is.
Cobra LTD Black 10.5 ALDILA ROGUE BLACK 70
Taylormade M1 (17) 15* OBAN KIYOSHI WHITE 75
Cobra F7 5W  ALDILA ROGUE BLACK 70
Mizuno MP H5 4i  DG S300 AMT
Mizuno MP 33 5-PW  DG S300 AMT
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*, 60*
Titleist SM5 56*
TP Red Ardmore 3
B330S

3

#34 lowheel

lowheel

    LOWHEEL

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 2088

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

 WidespreadPanic, on 06 October 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

How do I go about figuring out my SW? I have no idea what mine is.

you can buy a scale if you want to club build at home

https://www.golfwork...scale/p/GM1009/

but any local pro shop will check it for free. its a great tool to improve tempo and transition

If you have stock shafts and stock build the manufactures have those specs on their sites.

All online stores have the specs readily available. titleist does it best like here as an example. Click on specifications and you get length loft and swing weight

https://www.tgw.com/...s-718-ap2-irons

You can purchase lead tape strips for almost nothing on the bay or at your local shop. one 3 inch strip of lead tape will add 1 point to to the swing weight. If you have a iron thats a D-2 and you add 2 strips of lead tape it becomes a D-4

Edited by lowheel, 06 October 2017 - 06:20 PM.


4

#35 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

    Wizard in the Corner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Joined: 05/19/2016
  • Location:Washington DC
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1467

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:21 PM

 lowheel, on 06 October 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

 WidespreadPanic, on 06 October 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

How do I go about figuring out my SW? I have no idea what mine is.

you can buy a scale if you want to club build at home

https://www.golfwork...scale/p/GM1009/

but any local pro shop will check it for free. its a great tool to improve tempo and transition

If you have stock shafts and stock build the manufactures have those specs on their sites.

All online stores have the specs readily available. titleist does it best like here as an example. Click on specifications and you get length loft and swing weight

https://www.tgw.com/...s-718-ap2-irons
Irons are stock (aside from lie), but with my driver and 3wood I cut the shafts down to preferred length (44.5 and 42.75) and just added lead tape until I got the feel I wanted. Im just curious to see what im weight im playing.

Edited by WidespreadPanic, 06 October 2017 - 06:23 PM.

Cobra LTD Black 10.5 ALDILA ROGUE BLACK 70
Taylormade M1 (17) 15* OBAN KIYOSHI WHITE 75
Cobra F7 5W  ALDILA ROGUE BLACK 70
Mizuno MP H5 4i  DG S300 AMT
Mizuno MP 33 5-PW  DG S300 AMT
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*, 60*
Titleist SM5 56*
TP Red Ardmore 3
B330S

5

#36 lowheel

lowheel

    LOWHEEL

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193008
  • Joined: 07/18/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 2088

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:25 PM

 WidespreadPanic, on 06 October 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

 lowheel, on 06 October 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

 WidespreadPanic, on 06 October 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

How do I go about figuring out my SW? I have no idea what mine is.

you can buy a scale if you want to club build at home

https://www.golfwork...scale/p/GM1009/

but any local pro shop will check it for free. its a great tool to improve tempo and transition

If you have stock shafts and stock build the manufactures have those specs on their sites.

All online stores have the specs readily available. titleist does it best like here as an example. Click on specifications and you get length loft and swing weight

https://www.tgw.com/...s-718-ap2-irons
Irons are stock, but with my driver and 3wood I cut the shafts down to preferred length and just added lead tape until I like the feel. Im just curious to see what im weight im playing.

If you cut an inch off driver and an an inch off your 3 wood it would change your swing weight big time. it would remove 5 to 6 points of swing weight so you would have to add 6 strips of lead tape minimum to get it back to its stock swing weight.
So D4 would become C9 as a reference point

best to get measured at your local certified shop and remove all doubt. makes future fittings easier to narrow down club head and shaft combos

Edited by lowheel, 06 October 2017 - 06:26 PM.


6

#37 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,981 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
  • Joined: 04/12/2012
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 5263

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

 WidespreadPanic, on 06 October 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

Irons are stock (aside from lie), but with my driver and 3wood I cut the shafts down to preferred length (44.5 and 42.75) and just added lead tape until I got the feel I wanted. Im just curious to see what im weight im playing.

You did exactly the right thing - ignore anyone that tells you otherwise.

If you are curious, best to take it to someone who has a swing weight scale.  They will very likely measure it for you for free.  Just realize that if you have a heavier or lighter then normal grip, you may have to adjust the results a bit to get the true swing weight (what it would be with 50 gm grip).   Also realize that this number isn't as useful as most like to think if you try to reproduce it on a different club.

7

#38 Wdwfreak

Wdwfreak

    Golf Pro - Wisconsin

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124448
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
  • Ebay ID:Wdwfreak67
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

I found this interesting, that's a heavy club he's playing.

I know my 44.5 inch m1 is playing at D2, I get a bit confused with swingweight but how much weight needs to go into the head to get it to D8? I'm mostly curious because I have felt like the head is really light on my m1.

Thanks!
Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 8 Graphite Design AD MT 7x
Callaway XR Pro 16 Graphite Design AD GT 8x
Titleist 816H1 21 Graphite Design AD DI 95x
Ping i200 4-9 Nippon Modus 130x
46, 51, 56, 60 Vokey SM6 S-Grind Raw Nippon Modus 130x
Scotty Cameron-Tom Slighter Futura x5 Flow Neck 35"

8

#39 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

    I Strive to make you Better

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Joined: 12/13/2011
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1552

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

 Wdwfreak, on 08 October 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

I found this interesting, that's a heavy club he's playing.

I know my 44.5 inch m1 is playing at D2, I get a bit confused with swingweight but how much weight needs to go into the head to get it to D8? I'm mostly curious because I have felt like the head is really light on my m1.

Thanks!
Roughly 12 grams. Its alot of lead tape
Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Project X Hazardus Black 6.5
Fairway: Coming Soon Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*
Hybrid: Adams IDEA Super XTD 17*; UST Mamiya Proforce VTS 100HX
Utility: Coming Soon Taylormade Speedblade 3, 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-6, CB 7-9; Steelfiber i110x
Wedges: Scratch 1018 47*, 53*, 59*; Steelfiber i125x
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB
Ball: Vice Pro Plus Pink

#NoDaysOff

9

#40 Wdwfreak

Wdwfreak

    Golf Pro - Wisconsin

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124448
  • Joined: 03/13/2011
  • Ebay ID:Wdwfreak67
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

 Santiago Golf, on 08 October 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

 Wdwfreak, on 08 October 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

I found this interesting, that's a heavy club he's playing.

I know my 44.5 inch m1 is playing at D2, I get a bit confused with swingweight but how much weight needs to go into the head to get it to D8? I'm mostly curious because I have felt like the head is really light on my m1.

Thanks!
Roughly 12 grams. Its alot of lead tape

That is a LOT. That's a heavy driver Rory is playing, thanks for the reply, I maybe try putting some tape on

Edited by Wdwfreak, 08 October 2017 - 04:37 PM.

Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero 8 Graphite Design AD MT 7x
Callaway XR Pro 16 Graphite Design AD GT 8x
Titleist 816H1 21 Graphite Design AD DI 95x
Ping i200 4-9 Nippon Modus 130x
46, 51, 56, 60 Vokey SM6 S-Grind Raw Nippon Modus 130x
Scotty Cameron-Tom Slighter Futura x5 Flow Neck 35"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 PureStrikes54

PureStrikes54

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404620
  • Joined: 12/02/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:21 AM

In the recent tour van video according to the spec sheet he's playing D5. Still heavy but closer to a normal swing weight.

11

#42 rblmp32

rblmp32

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21316
  • Joined: 11/03/2006
  • Location:SC
  • Ebay ID:bdawg40
GolfWRX Likes : 164

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:08 PM

Good read but seen it before.  I always find it interesting that they say he picked up like 15 extra yards carry.  Really?  They always say that crap... but if you check the numbers he went from like 306 to 317 from 2016 to 2017.  That's a helluva gain.

12

#43 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

    #worstWRXer

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
  • Joined: 06/07/2015
  • Location:Cruisin Sunset
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

 Santiago Golf, on 03 October 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

 KirkNo-yes, on 03 October 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

My Driver is a D-6 and love it.  my tempo is a thousand times better than when it was D-2
The faster your ss, the higher the swingweight needs to be. Clubs moving faster so its tougher to feel a lighter object

Not trying to be a smart a**, but why do you need to feel the head w driver?  I put XL jumbogrips (120 grams) on my whole set recently and jacked all my weights everything feels really light....Lob has no feel at all specially w short creative shots and gonna have to put back smaller grip but its fine with driver....just rip thru it!
G30 LS
M2 HL
XR 4 Hybrid
OnOff Kuros
Cleveland Lobs
SeeMore Butts

13

#44 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 13099

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

 Barfolomew, on 09 October 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

 Santiago Golf, on 03 October 2017 - 03:01 PM, said:

 KirkNo-yes, on 03 October 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

My Driver is a D-6 and love it.  my tempo is a thousand times better than when it was D-2
The faster your ss, the higher the swingweight needs to be. Clubs moving faster so its tougher to feel a lighter object

Not trying to be a smart a**, but why do you need to feel the head w driver?  I put XL jumbogrips (120 grams) on my whole set recently and jacked all my weights everything feels really light....Lob has no feel at all specially w short creative shots and gonna have to put back smaller grip but its fine with driver....just rip thru it!



maybe if your a very tight armed rotational player that works.. if you have active hands at all you need to feel where teh head ( face ) is to be able to square it up or hold it square through impact....
17 M1 9.5 Tour issue Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
17 M1 14.5  Tour issue Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
Bridgestone Tour B 18 Graphite design AD DI 95x
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 4-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 52  56  60  PX 7.0
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights

14

#45 leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482290
  • Joined: 09/19/2017
  • Location:Vancouver, BC
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:31 AM

 Wdwfreak, on 08 October 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

 Santiago Golf, on 08 October 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

 Wdwfreak, on 08 October 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

I found this interesting, that's a heavy club he's playing.

I know my 44.5 inch m1 is playing at D2, I get a bit confused with swingweight but how much weight needs to go into the head to get it to D8? I'm mostly curious because I have felt like the head is really light on my m1.

Thanks!
Roughly 12 grams. Its alot of lead tape

That is a LOT. That's a heavy driver Rory is playing, thanks for the reply, I maybe try putting some tape on

Don't go crazy though.
I cut an inch off both my woods and my hybrids. got 50 grams of lead tape for my 4 clubs and went to town. Didn't even hit them first to see if i liked them.
They were all screwed up and felt super off. I finally went to a pro shop and get them checked and they were all over the place. I had measured out 12 grams for each club and every single club was off.

Anyways, point being don't go crazy with the tape.

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Performance Driver
Cobra Fly Z 5 Wood
Srixon H45  4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 5-AW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 56/60
Odyssey Works Versa #9

Srixon Q Star/Q Star Tour

15

#46 drbonesvt

drbonesvt

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141067
  • Joined: 10/04/2011
  • Location:Out in the West Texas town of................
  • Handicap:WIP
GolfWRX Likes : 1528

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

340g to 352 g static weight - hot melt monster


44-7/8
Ad tp 8tx
Ad di 9x

#sledgehammers

Thanks for sharing that article

Edited by drbonesvt, 10 October 2017 - 05:53 PM.

M2 17 Tour Issue 10.6* Tensi Orange (v3) 80TX (tipped 2-1/4) @ 45
M2 16' Tour Issue DF 14.6* Diamana D+ Limited 90tx (Tipped 2.5) @ 43" |
Titleist 2i 18.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5) | Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5)
Mizuno MP18 3-PW (47* PW) (1* weak)
53* Wedge Works V grind & 59* Wedge Works M grind
Bettinardi BB8 Tri-plane Sight Dot / Blank Sole 34 w/ pp58 Midsized cord
3i thru 59* wedge Tour Issue DG X7 w/ .580 Z cord Ribbed
all woods & 2i hot melted

WITB Link

16

#47 Valtiel

Valtiel

    Trap Draw

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
  • Joined: 12/12/2011
  • Location:Scotts Valley, CA
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 366

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:36 PM

 leopoldstotch, on 10 October 2017 - 12:31 AM, said:

 Wdwfreak, on 08 October 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

 Santiago Golf, on 08 October 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

 Wdwfreak, on 08 October 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

I found this interesting, that's a heavy club he's playing.

I know my 44.5 inch m1 is playing at D2, I get a bit confused with swingweight but how much weight needs to go into the head to get it to D8? I'm mostly curious because I have felt like the head is really light on my m1.

Thanks!
Roughly 12 grams. Its alot of lead tape

That is a LOT. That's a heavy driver Rory is playing, thanks for the reply, I maybe try putting some tape on

Don't go crazy though.
I cut an inch off both my woods and my hybrids. got 50 grams of lead tape for my 4 clubs and went to town. Didn't even hit them first to see if i liked them.
They were all screwed up and felt super off. I finally went to a pro shop and get them checked and they were all over the place. I had measured out 12 grams for each club and every single club was off.

Anyways, point being don't go crazy with the tape.

Assuming none of your shafts were either extremely heavily tip/back weighted then you cut off 6 swingweight points worth of shaft length and added 6 back with 12 grams of lead tape. If the local pro shop told you that the swingweights were all off then you either made a mistake with your cutting or weighing.

That said, a shorter club with the same swing weight as a longer club will feel different just by virtue of its length.
Titleist 915D3 Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX / Diamana Kai'li 80x
Nike Tour Issue SQ2 13* Blueboard 83x /
Nike SQ2 15* Blueboard 93x
Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Blueboard 103x / Titleist 906F4 18.5* Blueboard 103x
Ping Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X
Mizuno MP-59 4-PW KBS Tour 130x 25*-48*
Vokey SM6 52* F-Grind KBS Tour X / Vokey 452.08
Black Oxide
Vokey SM5 56* S-Grind S400 / Vokey 456.14 Tour Issue Raw
Vokey Special 60* V-Grind Black Oxide X300 SSx2 / Vokey Tour Issue SM60-04 X200 SSx2
SeeMore PTM1 Black / Scotty Cameron Santa Fe w/Bullseye shaft

17

#48 drbonesvt

drbonesvt

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141067
  • Joined: 10/04/2011
  • Location:Out in the West Texas town of................
  • Handicap:WIP
GolfWRX Likes : 1528

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:25 AM

To note ; Rory's driver length is 45.5" hard not to be somewhere in the d5-8 range by virtue of length , static weight I'd say is in the 320's
M2 17 Tour Issue 10.6* Tensi Orange (v3) 80TX (tipped 2-1/4) @ 45
M2 16' Tour Issue DF 14.6* Diamana D+ Limited 90tx (Tipped 2.5) @ 43" |
Titleist 2i 18.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5) | Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5)
Mizuno MP18 3-PW (47* PW) (1* weak)
53* Wedge Works V grind & 59* Wedge Works M grind
Bettinardi BB8 Tri-plane Sight Dot / Blank Sole 34 w/ pp58 Midsized cord
3i thru 59* wedge Tour Issue DG X7 w/ .580 Z cord Ribbed
all woods & 2i hot melted

WITB Link

18

#49 tgoodspe1991

tgoodspe1991

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 401182
  • Joined: 10/29/2015
  • Location:Southwest Florida
  • Handicap:+4.1
  • Ebay ID:tgoodspe1991
GolfWRX Likes : 115

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

 drbonesvt, on 11 October 2017 - 02:25 AM, said:

To note ; Rory's driver length is 45.5" hard not to be somewhere in the d5-8 range by virtue of length , static weight I'd say is in the 320's

Recent video shows 45.25" in length. But you're right, being over 45", it doesn't take much extra weight at all to be at D5.
Cobra King F8+ 8.5* - Kuro Kage XT 70TX
Cobra King F8+ 15* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Cobra King F8+ 19* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Cobra King Utility 19.5* - PX HZRDUS Black 105X
Cobra King Forged Tour 4-GW - Project X 7.0
Cobra King PUR 55* & 60* WS - Project X 7.0
TM Spider Tour Red w/ White Sight Line

19



1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors