Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 6 votes

Si Woo Shakin' That....

163 replies to this topic

#151 MrJones

MrJones

Waiting for the weekend...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18450
  • Handicap:4.5
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

View Postwareagle12, on 10 October 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

There are posts from both sides of the aisle here. I'll make an observation and try to relate it to the original topic. I'm not going to go back and quote the comment but it was said that there is no moral absolute and that it is all subjective as relating back to Jordan Speith's comments.

The same person then argued that in the "extreme example" one person impeded upon another's rights.

Both of these are absolute moral statements (it is wrong to impede upon another's right, moral law IS subjective) from a point of view that is held that all are subjective, thereby refuting their very claim (which is what the C.S Lewis comment is saying).

So now that we understand everyone is making absolute statements, back to topic.

For anyone to say that Jordan's comments are ok, you're saying there is indeed a "straight line" because you're defining that line and his actions within that. You're definition of the line is different from the OP, mine and many other people.

I think it's wrong to attack him for this. It's fine to disagree. Let's be civil and polite to one another. For the record, I don't think Jordan was being mean spirited at all. It comes down to whether it was a good decision. Some will say yes, some no. I say who cares...  But to say there is no absolute morality is an absolute morality... doesn't make sense.

Should have know some "Aub" would jump in with their opinion! :angry:

Kidding. :)

My original statement "At the end of the day I've accepted that things are only right and wrong based on any individuals personal beliefs." contained two main flaws (per me, the person who wrote it).

I meant to convey that this was my own little personal opinion. I did a poor job of that. I also did not mean to make "things" all inclusive. Should have used a word like "most" or even "some". Did not expect it to go off the way it did. Wasn't really thinking "How can I best convey my feelings on absolute morality?" at all. Much less serious than that. I said things like "what's right to you may not be right to others."

The rest of it is very muted/edited. I didn't go very deep because we can't.

Edited by MrJones, 10 October 2017 - 10:40 AM.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Speedblades, 3-AW
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*   
Odyssey White Ice 1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#152 wareagle12

wareagle12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153735
  • Handicap:0.6
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostMrJones, on 10 October 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

View Postwareagle12, on 10 October 2017 - 10:05 AM, said:

There are posts from both sides of the aisle here. I'll make an observation and try to relate it to the original topic. I'm not going to go back and quote the comment but it was said that there is no moral absolute and that it is all subjective as relating back to Jordan Speith's comments.

The same person then argued that in the "extreme example" one person impeded upon another's rights.

Both of these are absolute moral statements (it is wrong to impede upon another's right, moral law IS subjective) from a point of view that is held that all are subjective, thereby refuting their very claim (which is what the C.S Lewis comment is saying).

So now that we understand everyone is making absolute statements, back to topic.

For anyone to say that Jordan's comments are ok, you're saying there is indeed a "straight line" because you're defining that line and his actions within that. You're definition of the line is different from the OP, mine and many other people.

I think it's wrong to attack him for this. It's fine to disagree. Let's be civil and polite to one another. For the record, I don't think Jordan was being mean spirited at all. It comes down to whether it was a good decision. Some will say yes, some no. I say who cares...  But to say there is no absolute morality is an absolute morality... doesn't make sense.

Should have know some "Aub" would jump in with their opinion! :angry:

Kidding. :)

My original statement "At the end of the day I've accepted that things are only right and wrong based on any individuals personal beliefs." contained two main flaws (per me, the person who wrote it).

I meant to convey that this was my own little personal opinion. I did a poor job of that. I also did not mean to make "things" all inclusive. Should have used a word like "most" or even "some". Did not expect it to go off the way it did. Wasn't really thinking "How can I best convey my feelings on absolute morality?" at all. Much less serious than that. I said things like "what's right to you may not be right to others."

The rest of it is very muted/edited. I didn't go very deep because we can't.

I think the fact that it got here is hilarious 😂! From the title of the thread who would've thought it would turn to a philosophy discussion.
Driver- PING G30 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW MP63 Black Gold X
52 SM4
56 SM5
60 MD2 Tour Grind
Putter SC SS Newport 2.5

#153 chippa13

chippa13

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,872 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394742
GolfWRX Likes : 1184

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

I don't care where it goes so long as you two keep the in-state rivalry civil.

War Eagle!

#154 Hankshank

Hankshank

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 314115
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:20 PM

Well I'm neither young or american. Or PC. But I do not really understand why Spieth and they found that line so funny. Is "shake azz" a paraphrase for something else or has that shy young Korean fellow really moved his rear sideways in public? Banter is fine, if it has some kind of background. Dufner had his coming, he did really dufner. But what has that fellow done to get this? Or is is funny in some other way not obvious to a generation X Scandinavian?

#155 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 12070

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostHankshank, on 12 October 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Well I'm neither young or american. Or PC. But I do not really understand why Spieth and they found that line so funny. Is "shake azz" a paraphrase for something else or has that shy young Korean fellow really moved his rear sideways in public? Banter is fine, if it has some kind of background. Dufner had his coming, he did really dufner. But what has that fellow done to get this? Or is is funny in some other way not obvious to a generation X Scandinavian?

I took it to mean a play on his name.  As in. " I si woo baby shakin that a**"    Or am I off track too ?  Lol

Edited by bladehunter, 12 October 2017 - 04:31 PM.

17 M2 V2 8  tour head  Aldila Tour Blue 85 TX  (Tour only Rogue Graphics)
17 M1 14.5   tour head Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
17 M2 17.5   tour head Aerotech 70 F6 Prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 3-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw  56 60 Modus 130S
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights
Bridgestone B330S

#156 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 1493

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

To steal from Latin definitions from wikipedia:

Malum in se (plural mala in se) is a Latin phrase meaning wrong or evil in itself. The phrase is used to refer to conduct assessed as sinful or inherently wrong by nature, independent of regulations governing the conduct. It is distinguished from malum prohibitum, which is wrong only because it is prohibited.
For example, most human beings believe that murder, rape, and theft are wrong, regardless of whether a law governs such conduct or where the conduct occurs, and is thus recognizably malum in se. In contrast, malum prohibitumcrimes are criminal not because they are inherently bad, but because the act is prohibited by the law of the state. For example, law in the United States requires drivers to drive on the right side of the road. This is not because driving on the left side of a road is considered immoral, but because consistent rules promote safety and order on the roads.
This concept was used to develop the various common law offences.[1]

Malum prohibitum (plural mala prohibita, literal translation: "wrong [as or because] prohibited") is a Latin phrase used in law to refer to conduct that constitutes an unlawful act only by virtue of statute,[1] as opposed to conduct that is evil in and of itself, or malum in se.[2]
Conduct that is so clearly violative of society's standards for allowable conduct that it is illegal under English common law is usually regarded as malum in se. An offense that is malum prohibitum may not appear on the face to directly violate moral standards. The distinction between these two cases is discussed in State of Washington v. Thaddius X. Anderson:[3]

Criminal offenses can be broken down into two general categories malum in se and malum prohibitum. The distinction between malum in se and malum prohibitum offenses is best characterized as follows: a malum in seoffense is "naturally evil as adjudged by the sense of a civilized community," whereas a malum prohibitum offense is wrong only because a statute makes it so. State v. Horton, 139 N.C. 588, 51 S.E. 945, 946 (1905).
"Public welfare offenses" are a subset of malum prohibitum offenses as they are typically regulatory in nature and often "'result in no direct or immediate injury to person or property but merely create the danger or probability of it which the law seeks to minimize.'" Bash, 130 Wn.2d at 607 (quoting Morissette v. United States, 342 U.S. 246, 255-56, 72 S. Ct. 240, 96 L. Ed. 288 (1952)); see also State v. Carty, 27 Wn. App. 715, 717, 620 P.2d 137 (1980).

That certain words are taboo certainly seems like a cultural bias.  Words that were taboo years ago are more commonplace today.

Edited by LeoLeo99, 12 October 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#157 Hankshank

Hankshank

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:25 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 12 October 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

I took it to mean a play on his name.  As in. " I si woo baby shakin that a**" Or am I off track too ?  Lol
Based on some existing song? Sounds like Rap, and I do not listen to rap, I like melodies. But maybe its not rap either. If it is Rap i am surprised that it is so well known in the golfing community.

#158 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 2226

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:58 AM

View PostHankshank, on 13 October 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

I took it to mean a play on his name.  As in. " I si woo baby shakin that a**" Or am I off track too ?  Lol
Based on some existing song? Sounds like Rap, and I do not listen to rap, I like melodies. But maybe its not rap either. If it is Rap i am surprised that it is so well known in the golfing community.
let me just add the "context" that this thread so richly deserves....

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: PING Tour 80
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping iBlade 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide  2.0  50/54/58 SS: DG Tour Issue
Ping Anser F Ti pixel

Ping 703 +3 wraps/Pingman putter grip
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

#159 Valtiel

Valtiel

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150887
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:29 AM

Only on GolfWRX can a funny play on words referencing a popular song devolve into a conversation about the fundamental nature of morality complete with Latin phrase definitions and quotes from C.S. Lewis.

The "off" season really brings out the weird in you people. :jester:
Titleist 915D3 Tensei Orange V2 70TX / Kai'li 80x
Titleist 906F2 15* Blueboard 93x / Nike Tour Issue SQII 13* Blueboard 103x
Titleist 906F4 18.5* Blueboard 103x
Mizuno MP-59 KBS Tour 130x
Vokey SM6 52* F-Grind KBS Tour X / Vokey 452.08 Oxide
Vokey SM5 56* S-Grind S400 / Vokey 456.14 Tour Issue Raw
Vokey V-Grind 60* Oxide X300 / Vokey Tour Issue SM60-04 X200
Scotty Cameron Santa Fe w/Bullseye shaft

#160 bladehunter

bladehunter

Cubs win ! Cubs win!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 12070

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:23 AM

im officially too old... its only mildly funny if that .....has to be some inside millennial humor at work here that i dont get ?? but  im not offended at all ... just seems pretty weak sauce...   am kind of suprised nobody has complained that its making fun of his name .....

17 M2 V2 8  tour head  Aldila Tour Blue 85 TX  (Tour only Rogue Graphics)
17 M1 14.5   tour head Graphite Design   AD DI 8X
17 M2 17.5   tour head Aerotech 70 F6 Prototype
Vega VDC-01 Raw Handground 3-pw Modus 130X
Vega VW-02 Raw  56 60 Modus 130S
009 GSS 1.5  , Beached, tungsten sole weights
Bridgestone B330S

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#161 Jasonic

Jasonic

Gamer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 277815
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2092

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostHankshank, on 13 October 2017 - 12:25 AM, said:

I took it to mean a play on his name.  As in. " I si woo baby shakin that a**"    Or am I off track too ?  Lol

Good hip hop has melody, especially the 90s. Cool to put everything under an umbrella of ignorance especially considering you say you don't listen. How would you know to base your opinion?

Edited by Jasonic, 13 October 2017 - 08:55 AM.

Cobra f7+ 9.5*- Flowerband OG WB 73x
Cobra f7 3/4 wood - 14.5* - Flowerband OG WB 83x
Srixon u45 DI - 20* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Srixon z945 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
TaylorMade Spider Limited Red
KSig or Snell MTB :)

#162 aabcuue

aabcuue

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107273
  • Ebay ID:aabcuue
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

View Posttsecor, on 06 October 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Can't you see Lee Trevino from Happy Gilmore standing off to the side looking at Spieth.....

H no!
Good thing you've never actually heard Trevino talk in the locker room or not on camera.
If Lee was @presser, he'ld laugh along with Team USA and the entire room.

Good thing you never were around the tour in the hogan, sam, arnie & jack days. Speith singing was tame to even what has been said including to reporters.
a 17TM M1 460 9.5* RogueMax 70s 45"
b 16Cobra KingLtd9* Rogue SilverI/O 110msi 60s 45" 1"tip
c Ping G25 8.5* Tour 70x 45"

Titleist 915fd 15* RIP Phenom70s 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

CallawayX20Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm5 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

#163 cowbomb02

cowbomb02

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 383544
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:04 AM

I think it's great for the sport of golf. there's nothing wrong with a little light hearted laughter every once in a while.

#164 Hankshank

Hankshank

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostJasonic, on 13 October 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

Good hip hop has melody, especially the 90s. Cool to put everything under an umbrella of ignorance especially considering you say you don't listen. How would you know to base your opinion?
Well, actually back in the 90's I did actually buy a CD with MC Hammer and two with Salt'n Peppa. And one or two Scandinavian rappers. But well, your right, I have since put rap under the ignorance umbrella. My kids like the stuff and I have to have something to grumble about.  Eminem was an issue for me a couple of years ago that resembled the issues my father had with Stiff Little Fingers, Sham 69 and Clash back around 1978. And scandinavians Ebba Grön and KSMB. You gotta preserve family traditions.

Edited by Hankshank, 19 October 2017 - 04:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors