Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping Anser Classic Putter - Which is the best?

Ping Putters Anser Scotty cameron 009 Byron Morgan DH89

  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 eoinzy

eoinzy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483310
  • Joined: 10/02/2017
  • Location:London, UK
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick myself up a classic Ping Anser putter. From what I've read it seems it may be best to go with an old school milled putter.
Like a lot searches it started from looking at the Scotty 009 which led me to the Byron DH89. Unfortunately the Byron is above my price range and living in the UK shipping costs a small fortune.

I've heard both were modelled off the classic Anser and was hoping to pick up a more affordable one off ebay.co.uk.

There's been so many Ansers over the years it's hard to know which is best. From an aesthetic point of view I really like the classic copper / bronze look. I'd be open to the Nickel if you think it's better quality. A sight line for me is a must and the ping sound would be a bonus. I love the pictures attached which I pulled from an old post.

Not sure if it's relevant but I'm 5'9 (1.75m) so looking for 33.5 and below. Preference is towards the 350g weight range. I'd rather not have to send anything to Ping for customisation.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

  • Ping 1.jpg
  • Ping 2.jpg

Edited by eoinzy, 02 October 2017 - 04:29 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 DrJACOB

DrJACOB

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47992
  • Joined: 02/04/2008
  • Location:Michigan
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

Let me suggest looking at 9903 Kevin Burns putters.  A very quality milled putter that can be had for a good price considering these were $400 putters in the 1990's.  José María Olazábal won the 1999 Masters using one.   Craig Stadler and Fred Couples had used his putter too.

Some have a seen or hidden Copper insert.  But any that I tried feel great!
TM M1 10.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X
Ping Stretch 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7X
Titlesit 910H 19*
Miura Bades 4-PW
Miura Wedges 51,55,59
Callaway PM 64
BB2 or at least one of my 8802 style putters

2

#3 eoinzy

eoinzy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483310
  • Joined: 10/02/2017
  • Location:London, UK
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

View PostDrJACOB, on 02 October 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

Let me suggest looking at 9903 Kevin Burns putters.  A very quality milled putter that can be had for a good price considering these were $400 putters in the 1990's.  José María Olazábal won the 1999 Masters using one.   Craig Stadler and Fred Couples had used his putter too.

Some have a seen or hidden Copper insert.  But any that I tried feel great!
I just did some Google searches and they look like really nice putters! Unfortunately though they're not very easy to get in the U.K :(
I think with that in mind a mainstream brand like Ping is probably my best bet to get something similar.

3

#4 Nessism

Nessism

    To measure is to know...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 6780

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:31 PM

You won't find any old Ping Ansers at 350 grams unless inserts have been added, and if that's the case the seller will most likely want big money.  The classic Anser is about 320 grams or so.  The style that's been copied so often is the Scottsdale Anser style.  You can find some really nice remake versions of these putters in BeNi, BeCu, and the original manganese bronze.  Fantastic putters.  If the sample you find is too long just shorten it.  And lead tape on the bottom of the sole will bring up the weight.
Ping G30 driver w/Adila Rogue Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 wood & E8 hybrids
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

4

#5 eoinzy

eoinzy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483310
  • Joined: 10/02/2017
  • Location:London, UK
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:26 AM

View PostNessism, on 02 October 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

You won't find any old Ping Ansers at 350 grams unless inserts have been added, and if that's the case the seller will most likely want big money.  The classic Anser is about 320 grams or so.  The style that's been copied so often is the Scottsdale Anser style.  You can find some really nice remake versions of these putters in BeNi, BeCu, and the original manganese bronze.  Fantastic putters.  If the sample you find is too long just shorten it.  And lead tape on the bottom of the sole will bring up the weight.
Thanks for the reply. OK I'll try not get caught up in the weight too much until I have my hands on it. Would you recommend just going with either the classic Anser or the original Scottsdale Anser? There's so many models that it goes from the Anser 2 up to the Anser 5. There's also the Karsten TR which makes it even more confusing. It's hard to know which ones are milled and therefore what's the best purchase to look out for?

Edited by eoinzy, 03 October 2017 - 03:26 AM.


5

#6 rufus mangler

rufus mangler

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16979
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
  • Location:Orlando
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

I'd start out with a regular old Bronze Ping Anser. It has the sound slot and makes that cool "tink" sound. You can probably find one in good shape, put a new grip on, lead tape the sole, (not over the slot), and be ready to go. I like the ones that have the 85068 zip codes and "Made in USA" on the back of the top line. They just seem to sit better on the ground.

Good luck
Titleist 905r 8.5º
RBZ HL3 17º
FCT 21º
KZG Forged CB 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 54º, 58º
Ping Anser

6

#7 eoinzy

eoinzy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483310
  • Joined: 10/02/2017
  • Location:London, UK
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

That's an interesting point.

Do you guys know what other Anser models come with the sound slot as standard?

7

#8 Nessism

Nessism

    To measure is to know...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Joined: 06/23/2011
  • Location:Torrance, CA
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 6780

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

Sound slot was standard on many Ansers, but not all.  Same thing for the sight line.  You may want to go to eBay and have a look.
Ping G30 driver w/Adila Rogue Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 wood & E8 hybrids
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

8

#9 eoinzy

eoinzy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483310
  • Joined: 10/02/2017
  • Location:London, UK
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:19 AM

From what I've seen it sounds like the BeCu is the king of the Anser putters. Originals are apparently better putters than the recent remakes.

9

#10 rufus mangler

rufus mangler

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16979
  • Joined: 07/26/2006
  • Location:Orlando
GolfWRX Likes : 217

Posted 06 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

I have a BeCu Anser 2 and it's not my favorite. I've never felt the softness everyone talks about. I actually think it's a hard/crisp/clicky feeling putter.

The other negative is, because of it's brittle nature, there aren't many club makers who want to mess with them. So getting it bent to fit you could be a struggle.

Now that's the Anser 2. I think the only Anser made in BeCu is the Scottsdale, but I could be wrong.

Titleist 905r 8.5º
RBZ HL3 17º
FCT 21º
KZG Forged CB 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 54º, 58º
Ping Anser

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 terrileetennis

terrileetennis

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21566
  • Joined: 11/09/2006
  • Ebay ID:terrileetennis
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

Best feeling Anser putter is the Anser f with the titanium pixels

11

#12 corky

corky

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1237
  • Joined: 05/30/2005
  • Location:Washington DC
GolfWRX Likes : 808

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:05 AM

View Postrufus mangler, on 06 October 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

I have a BeCu Anser 2 and it's not my favorite. I've never felt the softness everyone talks about. I actually think it's a hard/crisp/clicky feeling putter.

The other negative is, because of it's brittle nature, there aren't many club makers who want to mess with them. So getting it bent to fit you could be a struggle.

Now that's the Anser 2. I think the only Anser made in BeCu is the Scottsdale, but I could be wrong.

When the BeCu putters first came out, the ball of choice was a balata wound ball.......putt one of these balls with your BeCU and tell me it's not the softest feeling putter you've ever used........

12

#13 MattMo

MattMo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Lincoln, NE
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Mattmorrissey
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

View Postcorky, on 07 October 2017 - 05:05 AM, said:

View Postrufus mangler, on 06 October 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

I have a BeCu Anser 2 and it's not my favorite. I've never felt the softness everyone talks about. I actually think it's a hard/crisp/clicky feeling putter.

The other negative is, because of it's brittle nature, there aren't many club makers who want to mess with them. So getting it bent to fit you could be a struggle.

Now that's the Anser 2. I think the only Anser made in BeCu is the Scottsdale, but I could be wrong.

When the BeCu putters first came out, the ball of choice was a balata wound ball.......putt one of these balls with your BeCU and tell me it's not the softest feeling putter you've ever used........

I personally prefer the feel of BeNi over BeCu. Looks wise though, BeCu wins hands down.
Ping G25 9.5* w/ Harrison Saga
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping i e1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54*ws / 58*ws
Ping Redwood D66, 35"

13

#14 Kenny Lee Puckett

Kenny Lee Puckett

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379660
  • Joined: 06/08/2015
  • Location:Arizona USA
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 2033

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

View Postterrileetennis, on 06 October 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

Best feeling Anser putter is the Anser F with the titanium pixels
it certainly isn't a bummer   ;)
https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be  video on course practice 5/2016

Ping G LST: Flowerband Blue Board 73x5ct
Ping Anser 4wd: Accra S3-80 RT
PXG 0317 Hybrid: Fujikura 8D07HB

Ping S55 4-PW: Dynamic Gold Tour Issue
Ping Glide 50SS/54SS/58SS: DG T.I.
Ping Anser F Ti pixel
Ping Sensor glove/Srixon 2017 Z-Star XV
Ping Hoofer 2016 bag

14

#15 MattMo

MattMo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102846
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Lincoln, NE
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:Mattmorrissey
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:35 AM

View Postterrileetennis, on 06 October 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

Best feeling Anser putter is the Anser f with the titanium pixels

I have a mint one that I'm looking to sell / trade... 😁

Ping G25 9.5* w/ Harrison Saga
Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
Ping G15 20* Hybrid w/ GD YSQ
Ping i e1 4-U w/ CFS
Ping Glide 54*ws / 58*ws
Ping Redwood D66, 35"

15

#16 eoinzy

eoinzy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483310
  • Joined: 10/02/2017
  • Location:London, UK
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the great response. For those of you interested I thought I'd post what I ended up doing.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the Anser putter I was looking for on eBay. I'm still going to keep my eye out for the BeCu though.

I did however end up buy the Piretti Cottonwood II Rev2.0 (pics attached) which arrived this week.
Slightly heavier than what I'm used to but so far so good!



Quote

Quote

Attached Thumbnails

  • IMG_5551.JPG
  • IMG_5552.JPG

Edited by eoinzy, 12 October 2017 - 07:48 AM.


16




Also tagged with Ping, Putters, Anser, Scotty, cameron, 009, Byron, Morgan, DH89

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors