Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

New lpga fan


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358477
  • Joined: 01/18/2015
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 02 October 2017 - 04:26 AM

I find myself watching more lpga than mens golf as i am simply getting bored watching fhe men over power every course they play week in and week out . I find the lpga a little more enjoyable to watch as they play with more finess snd less power . Also makss it more easy to relate to

Few questions i have about  ladies tour
1) how many players retain there card at year end?
2) a win will give you fully exempt status for how long?
3) whats the true average driving distance of these girls?
4) Do players who lose there card automatically have full status on the symetra tour the next season??

Thank you


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4760

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

http://www.lpga.com/
TM M1 8.5*  Tensei Pro White 50TX
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Cleveland  RTX CB 50* 54* 58* Nippon 125 wedge
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

2

#3 tbowles411

tbowles411

    In Gee Chun

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 23,327 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia (One day I hope to be a Texan!)
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 5321

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:30 AM

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 02 October 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

I find myself watching more lpga than mens golf as i am simply getting bored watching fhe men over power every course they play week in and week out . I find the lpga a little more enjoyable to watch as they play with more finess snd less power . Also makss it more easy to relate to

Few questions i have about  ladies tour
1) how many players retain there card at year end?
2) a win will give you fully exempt status for how long?
3) whats the true average driving distance of these girls?
4) Do players who lose there card automatically have full status on the symetra tour the next season??

Thank you
1 - 156, just like the men.
2 - 2 years...just like the men.
3 - It depends.  Some drive it 220, a few (very few) drive it over 280.  You'll probably find the average length in the 220-240 range.
4 - This one I'm not sure of.  Usually once off the Symetra, they don't go back.  There are a few exceptions, but they keep finding their way into fields at the Pro Level.
PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Sigma G Piper 3
Ball: Titelist DT Trusoft

3

#4 MSchad

MSchad

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93174
  • Joined: 08/28/2009
  • Location:Rapid City, SD
GolfWRX Likes : 62

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

I total agree with the OP. Find myself watching more LPGA for the same reasons. Just wish they would get a bit more recognition/coverage.
Taylormade M2
Nike Sumo 3w, 5w
Nike CPR 26*
Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW
Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58
Scotty Futura X7M DB
Precision Pro NX7 Pro
Arccos Game Tracker

4

#5 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15168

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

The median driving distance is currently at 252 yards. Two years ago it was 250 yards.

The median is a lot easier to calculate than the average. The last time I calculated the average it was only one or two yards different than the median.


5

#6 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358477
  • Joined: 01/18/2015
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:48 AM

View Posttbowles411, on 02 October 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 02 October 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

I find myself watching more lpga than mens golf as i am simply getting bored watching fhe men over power every course they play week in and week out . I find the lpga a little more enjoyable to watch as they play with more finess snd less power . Also makss it more easy to relate to

Few questions i have about  ladies tour
1) how many players retain there card at year end?
2) a win will give you fully exempt status for how long?
3) whats the true average driving distance of these girls?
4) Do players who lose there card automatically have full status on the symetra tour the next season??

Thank you
1 - 156, just like the men.
2 - 2 years...just like the men.
3 - It depends.  Some drive it 220, a few (very few) drive it over 280.  You'll probably find the average length in the 220-240 range.
4 - This one I'm not sure of.  Usually once off the Symetra, they don't go back.  There are a few exceptions, but they keep finding their way into fields at the Pro Level.

Thank u for yur response but only 125 keep full playing privileges on the mens tour . Not sure where u got 156

6

#7 Seamus McDuff

Seamus McDuff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272567
  • Joined: 08/24/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

#4 I believe is “yes”

Those players automatically advance to final stage of q-school and anyone in final stage gets a Symetra card.

7

#8 Climb&Golf

Climb&Golf

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 392984
  • Joined: 08/24/2015
  • Location:Auckland, New Zealand
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

Was out on course yesterday. Really enjoyed it. Put a post in the NZ Open tournament thread with some photos of Brooke.

Edited by Climb&Golf, 04 October 2017 - 02:44 PM.


8

#9 Cwebb

Cwebb

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,188 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 981

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

Brooke takes her driver back nearly as far as a young John Daly.  LOL

9

#10 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358477
  • Joined: 01/18/2015
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

These girks really dont make a ton of money if u are not a world class player . # 50 on money list $277K after taxes and agent probably $160K thats not much more than some people with square jobs. Dont know how  much. A Career grinder makes in endorsements on thd lpga hopefully it's enough to cover all caddy and travel expenses or else they are closer ton the $100 K mark.

Dont get me wrong I would rather make $100k playing golf for a living thsn $200 k going to a. Normal al job . Just making a point that alot of these girls are not getting  rich unlike the men where over 100 guys made a million plus this year and the endorsement money comes in nice


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15168

Posted 04 October 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 04 October 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

These girks really dont make a ton of money if u are not a world class player . # 50 on money list $277K after taxes and agent probably $160K thats not much more than some people with square jobs. Dont know how  much. A Career grinder makes in endorsements on thd lpga hopefully it's enough to cover all caddy and travel expenses or else they are closer ton the $100 K mark.

Dont get me wrong I would rather make $100k playing golf for a living thsn $200 k going to a. Normal al job . Just making a point that alot of these girls are not getting  rich unlike the men where over 100 guys made a million plus this year and the endorsement money comes in nice

Heck, take a look at the top 10. The 100th ranked PGA Tour player on the money list made more than MJ Hur (10th on the LPGA money list). Sung Hyun Park has made $1.9M to date, which would put her 54th on the PGA Tour.

The women play 13 of 34 tournaments outside of North America which certainly adds to the travel expenses. The men play 6 out of 52.

11

#12 Raving Shanker

Raving Shanker

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465832
  • Joined: 05/01/2017
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:47
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:27 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 04 October 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 04 October 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

These girks really dont make a ton of money if u are not a world class player . # 50 on money list $277K after taxes and agent probably $160K thats not much more than some people with square jobs. Dont know how  much. A Career grinder makes in endorsements on thd lpga hopefully it's enough to cover all caddy and travel expenses or else they are closer ton the $100 K mark.

Dont get me wrong I would rather make $100k playing golf for a living thsn $200 k going to a. Normal al job . Just making a point that alot of these girls are not getting  rich unlike the men where over 100 guys made a million plus this year and the endorsement money comes in nice

Heck, take a look at the top 10. The 100th ranked PGA Tour player on the money list made more than MJ Hur (10th on the LPGA money list). Sung Hyun Park has made $1.9M to date, which would put her 54th on the PGA Tour.

The women play 13 of 34 tournaments outside of North America which certainly adds to the travel expenses. The men play 6 out of 52.

The smallness of their earnings irks me somewhat. This is a genuine case of disproportionately small earnings of professional athletes. But what we can do, beyond supporting the product with our attendance and TV viewing? I really hope the girls are getting some sweet sponsorship deals and other perks.

Here in Australia the latest push in women's sport is for women's professional football. It's a joke. To play at the top level, and be a professional (semi, anyway) and national "hero", the women need to be in about the top 20% of all players. Hence the quality is woeful. It's being pushed from the top down. I'd love to see women's golf get that kind of boost. It would be much more deserving.

12

#13 ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62374
  • Joined: 08/05/2008
  • Location:Mid Atlantic
GolfWRX Likes : 201

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:17 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 04 October 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 04 October 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

These girks really dont make a ton of money if u are not a world class player . # 50 on money list $277K after taxes and agent probably $160K thats not much more than some people with square jobs. Dont know how  much. A Career grinder makes in endorsements on thd lpga hopefully it's enough to cover all caddy and travel expenses or else they are closer ton the $100 K mark.

Dont get me wrong I would rather make $100k playing golf for a living thsn $200 k going to a. Normal al job . Just making a point that alot of these girls are not getting  rich unlike the men where over 100 guys made a million plus this year and the endorsement money comes in nice

Heck, take a look at the top 10. The 100th ranked PGA Tour player on the money list made more than MJ Hur (10th on the LPGA money list). Sung Hyun Park has made $1.9M to date, which would put her 54th on the PGA Tour.

The women play 13 of 34 tournaments outside of North America which certainly adds to the travel expenses. The men play 6 out of 52.

What's the line someone posted here recently--85 percent of the yardage for 10 percent of the money.

13

#14 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4760

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:27 PM

I'm a fan of the lpga but frankly they get what they deserve. It's really a form of entertainment and salaries/winnings are based on interest/tour income.
TM M1 8.5*  Tensei Pro White 50TX
TM M1 3w 14*  Kuro Kage 70X
Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Cleveland  RTX CB 50* 54* 58* Nippon 125 wedge
Toulon Garage Rochester

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

14

#15 Hit em good

Hit em good

    LTC

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147143
  • Joined: 11/16/2011
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 436

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

I actually prefer to watch the LPGA on tv rather than the PGA.  

The reason is I can relate much better to their games.  They hit the ball approximately how far I do, ie; 100mph driver swing speed.  

One of the men on tv last week hit a 6 iron to a 225 yard par 3!   I'm not sure if I can even get my 3 wood that far!!!

Driver:  '07 Burner TP
3 wood:  Ping G15
5 wood:  Ping G15
3 hybrid:  PIng G25
4i:  Mizuno MP fli hi
5i - 7i:  Mizuno MP54
8i - pw:  Mizuno MP4
Wedges:  Vokey SM4  54.08 / 58.06
Putter:  Odyssey 2 ball

Titleist Pro v1x

15

#16 thenatural35

thenatural35

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139087
  • Joined: 09/13/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

The goal is to make it in the top 100 of the money list, though top 80 is priority 1 status for the following year.  The top 100 essentially guarantees you making the field for full field events in the following year.  This is basically full status.  The top 100-125 still earns your LPGA membership for the following year, but you'll have to pray the higher priority players take the week off so you can get into the field.  101-125 status is basically limited/conditional.  Top 100 is the magic number like 125 is for the PGA Tour.

I do wish the CME Tour Championship, though, did include the top 100 instead of the top 70.  Most of the tour's year is basically over after New Zealand because of limited field Asian events and I think that's silly.

16

#17 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15168

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postthenatural35, on 05 October 2017 - 01:19 PM, said:

I do wish the CME Tour Championship, though, did include the top 100 instead of the top 70.  Most of the tour's year is basically over after New Zealand because of limited field Asian events and I think that's silly.

I do believe the reason is simply daylight. With the tournament being held in mid-November, there is only 10 hours and 50 minutes of daylight. With 5 hour rounds being the norm these days, they'd be hard pressed to get 100 players through their rounds. Throw in some weather delays, and it's quite iffy.

Edited by Argonne69, 05 October 2017 - 01:49 PM.


17

#18 4waymiss

4waymiss

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371465
  • Joined: 04/15/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 623

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 04 October 2017 - 05:33 AM, said:

These girks really dont make a ton of money if u are not a world class player . # 50 on money list $277K after taxes and agent probably $160K thats not much more than some people with square jobs. Dont know how  much. A Career grinder makes in endorsements on thd lpga hopefully it's enough to cover all caddy and travel expenses or else they are closer ton the $100 K mark.

Dont get me wrong I would rather make $100k playing golf for a living thsn $200 k going to a. Normal al job . Just making a point that alot of these girls are not getting  rich unlike the men where over 100 guys made a million plus this year and the endorsement money comes in nice

Strangely enough, at least for me, it is part of the appeal of women's golf. The 100th ranked man probably plays for his jet fuel. But the 100th ranked woman is playing for next's month's rent.

I mean these girls are real people , with real problems. Just like most of us do.

18

#19 MoneyPlayer33

MoneyPlayer33

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358477
  • Joined: 01/18/2015
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

So the ladies who finish 101-120 on money list have limited status for next season but are exempt intro final stage of Q school i would assume where they can regain  full status??

19

#20 Seamus McDuff

Seamus McDuff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 272567
  • Joined: 08/24/2013
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 08 October 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

So the ladies who finish 101-120 on money list have limited status for next season but are exempt intro final stage of Q school i would assume where they can regain  full status??

It’s about where you are on the priority list. Top 20 at Q-school have higher priority than 101-120, so some in the 101-120 choose to go to final stage. 101-120 still get into a fair amount of events, so not all bother with final stage.

http://www.lpga.com/...t_8-23-2017.pdf


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 aabcuue

aabcuue

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107273
  • Joined: 05/02/2010
  • Ebay ID:aabcuue
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:41 PM

View Posttbowles411, on 02 October 2017 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostMoneyPlayer33, on 02 October 2017 - 04:26 AM, said:

I find myself watching more lpga than mens golf as i am simply getting bored watching fhe men over power every course they play week in and week out . I find the lpga a little more enjoyable to watch as they play with more finess snd less power . Also makss it more easy to relate to

Few questions i have about  ladies tour
1) how many players retain there card at year end?
2) a win will give you fully exempt status for how long?
3) whats the true average driving distance of these girls?
4) Do players who lose there card automatically have full status on the symetra tour the next season??

Thank you
1 - 156, just like the men.
2 - 2 years...just like the men.
3 - It depends.  Some drive it 220, a few (very few) drive it over 280.  You'll probably find the average length in the 220-240 range.
4 - This one I'm not sure of.  Usually once off the Symetra, they don't go back.  There are a few exceptions, but they keep finding their way into fields at the Pro Level.


#3 Your a bit off on the driving distances. Here's the link to the current shotlink data. Click on "Driving" tab to get other stats.
http://www.lpga.com/...riving-distance

Only 1 player, Maude-Aimee Leblanc has avg'ed 280+yd this year but is currently at 279.256yds. Lexi has been avg'ing c275yd.

top 11 avg 270+yds
top 95 avg 250+
shortest listed drivers are
#157 232.656 and #158 228.160yds

Edited by aabcuue, 13 October 2017 - 12:10 AM.

a 17TM M1 460 9.5* RogueMax 70s 45"
b 16Cobra KingLtd9* Rogue SilverI/O 110msi 60s 45" 1"tip
c Ping G25 8.5* Tour 70x 45"

Titleist 915fd 15* RIP Phenom70s 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

CallawayX20Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm5 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

21

#22 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15168

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

As of 8/25/2017, the average of the averages was 253.2. The median was 252.4. The average of average is up ~3 yards over the past 4 seasons.

22

#23 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
  • Joined: 09/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 984

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 AM

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I'm a fan of the lpga but frankly they get what they deserve. It's really a form of entertainment and salaries/winnings are based on interest/tour income.

Exactly, sports revenues and incomes are a factor of how many eyes they can attract to their events.  Television contracts and attendance drives the big money.  While some of us appreciate that the ladies swing speeds make their game and course management more relatable to us the larger portion of the golf audience wants to see the best of the best compete and that is the mens tours.

I also believe the US ratings and attendance are hurt by the fact that many of the best players are not from the the United States.

Edited by new2g0lf, Yesterday, 08:25 AM.


23

#24 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15168

Posted Yesterday, 08:50 AM

View Postnew2g0lf, on 18 October 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I'm a fan of the lpga but frankly they get what they deserve. It's really a form of entertainment and salaries/winnings are based on interest/tour income.

Exactly, sports revenues and incomes are a factor of how many eyes they can attract to their events.  Television contracts and attendance drives the big money.  While some of us appreciate that the ladies swing speeds make their game and course management more relatable to us the larger portion of the golf audience wants to see the best of the best compete and that is the mens tours.

I also believe the US ratings and attendance are hurt by the fact that many of the best players are not from the the United States.

I'd be curious to see the ratings breakdown by country. Is the U.S. the largest share? I doubt it.

24

#25 BLLDWG23

BLLDWG23

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394580
  • Joined: 09/03/2015
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 AM

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

View Postnew2g0lf, on 18 October 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I'm a fan of the lpga but frankly they get what they deserve. It's really a form of entertainment and salaries/winnings are based on interest/tour income.

Exactly, sports revenues and incomes are a factor of how many eyes they can attract to their events.  Television contracts and attendance drives the big money.  While some of us appreciate that the ladies swing speeds make their game and course management more relatable to us the larger portion of the golf audience wants to see the best of the best compete and that is the mens tours.

I also believe the US ratings and attendance are hurt by the fact that many of the best players are not from the the United States.

I'd be curious to see the ratings breakdown by country. Is the U.S. the largest share? I doubt it.

I agree.  That doesn't mean the LPGA wouldn't want it to be the largest share.  Yes both the LPGA and PGA are global tours, but their base is the U.S.  So why would you be happy with dwindling support domestically both ratings and attendance wise??  You wouldn't be I would think.  This is why you see why the LPGA travels so much.  I also agree with the poster above you, domestically the LPGA tour is hurt by the foreign surge, globally it's probably grown.  Between what it has lost domestically and what it has gained globally I'd probably say it's a bit of a wash.


25

#26 BLLDWG23

BLLDWG23

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 394580
  • Joined: 09/03/2015
  • Location:GA
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 162

Posted Yesterday, 11:03 AM

View PostBLLDWG23, on 18 October 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

View Postnew2g0lf, on 18 October 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I'm a fan of the lpga but frankly they get what they deserve. It's really a form of entertainment and salaries/winnings are based on interest/tour income.

Exactly, sports revenues and incomes are a factor of how many eyes they can attract to their events.  Television contracts and attendance drives the big money.  While some of us appreciate that the ladies swing speeds make their game and course management more relatable to us the larger portion of the golf audience wants to see the best of the best compete and that is the mens tours.

I also believe the US ratings and attendance are hurt by the fact that many of the best players are not from the the United States.

I'd be curious to see the ratings breakdown by country. Is the U.S. the largest share? I doubt it.

I agree.  That doesn't mean the LPGA wouldn't want it to be the largest share.  Yes both the LPGA and PGA are global tours, but their base is the U.S.  So why would you be happy with dwindling support domestically both ratings and attendance wise??  You wouldn't be I would think.  This is why you see why the LPGA travels so much.  I also agree with the poster above you, domestically the LPGA tour is hurt by the foreign surge, globally it's probably grown.  Between what it has lost domestically and what it has gained globally I'd probably say it's a bit of a wash.

Did a quick count of 34 tournaments 16 of them are outside the U.S (again quick count so my math maybe off).  Now granted 1 is in Mexico and 2 in Canada, but 18 are inside the U.S.  How long before less than half are here??  Personally , (and I know I'm in the minority in this forum on this) but I see dwindling domestic interest as an issue.

Edited by BLLDWG23, Yesterday, 11:04 AM.


26

#27 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15168

Posted Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Mike Whan mentioned that the current line-up of 34 tournaments is about as much as they want to have to avoid watering down the product. He also mentioned two new tournaments next year, which means they'll be losing two. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bahamas and Lorena events go.

Currently, Korea only has a single tournament. They could easily support one or two more. 'Same with China, although they struggle to keep the ones there on the schedule. Whan mentioned wanting to expand into India, which is definitely going to happen at some point.

It will be interesting to see if the LET folds. If it does, that opens up the possibility of one or more tournaments in Europe. I could see Spain or Germany being added to the list.

27

#28 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
  • Joined: 09/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 984

Posted Yesterday, 04:18 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2017 - 08:50 AM, said:

View Postnew2g0lf, on 18 October 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

View PostShilgy, on 04 October 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

I'm a fan of the lpga but frankly they get what they deserve. It's really a form of entertainment and salaries/winnings are based on interest/tour income.

Exactly, sports revenues and incomes are a factor of how many eyes they can attract to their events.  Television contracts and attendance drives the big money.  While some of us appreciate that the ladies swing speeds make their game and course management more relatable to us the larger portion of the golf audience wants to see the best of the best compete and that is the mens tours.

I also believe the US ratings and attendance are hurt by the fact that many of the best players are not from the the United States.

I'd be curious to see the ratings breakdown by country. Is the U.S. the largest share? I doubt it.

Probably not since almost half of the LPGA tournaments are outside the US and don't fit well into the broadcast schedule.  It also seems GC doesn't air every LPGA tournament so if they do in another country then they'd likely have a larger viewing audience.

28

#29 Argonne69

Argonne69

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,925 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102839
  • Joined: 02/01/2010
  • Location:Chicago, IL
GolfWRX Likes : 15168

Posted Yesterday, 05:39 PM

The only tournament they didn't air this season was the Lorena Ochoa Invitational. All other events are aired on the Golf Channel, except for the U.S. Open that is covered by Fox Sports.

29

#30 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
  • Joined: 09/06/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 984

Posted Yesterday, 10:35 PM

View PostArgonne69, on 18 October 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

The only tournament they didn't air this season was the Lorena Ochoa Invitational. All other events are aired on the Golf Channel, except for the U.S. Open that is covered by Fox Sports.

Yes but if I remember correctly some aired at really weird times, so it was almost like they weren't on.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users


    ClairefromClare

GolfWRX Sponsors