Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Child in 8am Foursome

68 replies to this topic

#1 FISHSTICKMAN

FISHSTICKMAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479306
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:tkyjoe
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 30 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

This morning I experienced something that I have never run into outside of par 3 courses, that is, seeing a 4 year old as part of a foursome at 8am on a Saturday.  I had the privilege of being directly behind a group that was made of up 2 separate twosome, one of which was a 4 year old and his mother.  From the get go, the mom was letting the kid hit Every. Single. Shot.  And what made this even worse was the other twosome totally accepted her letting the kid continuously hit.  We played 3 holes in 1 hour, as the group moved 15 yards down the fairway before stopping to watch the kid hit again and again.  Adding salt to the wound, the group would finish a hole and immediate get their tee shots off on the next hole and head out before we could get an opportunity to even approach them and ask about playing through.  After talking with the ranger and having no luck, my group skipped finishing hole 4 just to catch the group on the tee box at 5 and "kindly" let them know we were playing through..  After passing them, we didn't see that group again until we were on 17 and saw the two guys paired with the 4 year old all the way back on the 11th hole (minus the 4 year old and his mom).

Now I'm all for kids learning how to golf, but at 8am on the weekend (outside of a par 3) is definitely not the place or time.  I also have such a hard time stomaching courses that have marshals that do absolutely nothing about pace of play..  Has anyone else ever run into something like this before?  I know everyone has their own terrible pace of play stories, but I have honestly never experienced something quite like I did today.  I can't stand people that have no courtesy towards the other golfers on the course.  I didn't get an 8am tee time to play a 6 hour round behind your 4 year old..

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wkuo3

wkuo3

RELEASE

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,820 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20890
  • Handicap:11.2
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

Talk to the head pro !
Our area has a rule about kids under 12 on the golf course, Except for the First Tee program which is on the golf course after 3 P.M. in the Summer.

The 4 year old was not at fault, in fact I'm amazed that the child would have the patience to last longer than 30 minutes.  The mother was the one should be consulted as whether she had made a good choice for her child to be on the regular length golf course at 4 years old.  
Even the prodigy like Bobby Jones and Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods were not playing the regular 18 when they were 4 years old.

Poor child, I hope his parents groom him correctly instead of discouraging him with the daunting task of playing the regular 18.  The golf course must felt like the planet Mars for that child at 4 .

#3 naj959

naj959

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66497
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:04 AM

Just Wow! I probably would have lost it and asked for a refund from the starter. At least you had the composure to skip a the hole and play the rest of the course. On a slightly similar note I was playing an afternoon round as a single on a Thursday. I catch a single on #2 playing FOUR BALLS. I wait 15 minute to hit my approach shot into #2 green. I get to the third tee expecting to be asked to join or if I would like to play through but nothing. Dude hits four tee shots on the par three third. I hop in my cart fly by him without saying a world and tee off on four. By this time I'm so pissed that I can't focus on golf. Played terribly for about four holes and ending up snapping my driver. I think I walked off the course around hole 7. Sometimes little stuff just gets to me and the resulting bad play just magnified the negativity. Wish I wasn't wired that way but it is what it is. Hadn't broken a club in a few years prior to that incident.

#4 PerseveringGolf

PerseveringGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 293167
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 641

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:32 AM

Interested to hear what the Ranger said to you as thats not fair to anyone- isnt there a rule about age or a minimum ability to play, a golf course is not a cresh!

#5 getitdaily

getitdaily

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479556
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

Ignorance on the mother's and the course's part. Mom probably just didn't know better and the course probably paid no attention (which is common these days).

I have a 3 year old who hits the ball well, but only about 15 yards. I abide by the late afternoon rule when I take him on the course. And even then, he's allowed to hit all the balls he wants while I'm near or on the green only. He stays between the hole and the cart and whacks it around.

Edited by getitdaily, 01 October 2017 - 07:14 AM.

#6 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 3752

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostFISHSTICKMAN, on 30 September 2017 - 10:12 PM, said:

This morning I experienced something that I have never run into outside of par 3 courses, that is, seeing a 4 year old as part of a foursome at 8am on a Saturday.  I had the privilege of being directly behind a group that was made of up 2 separate twosome, one of which was a 4 year old and his mother.  From the get go, the mom was letting the kid hit Every. Single. Shot.  And what made this even worse was the other twosome totally accepted her letting the kid continuously hit.  We played 3 holes in 1 hour, as the group moved 15 yards down the fairway before stopping to watch the kid hit again and again.  Adding salt to the wound, the group would finish a hole and immediate get their tee shots off on the next hole and head out before we could get an opportunity to even approach them and ask about playing through.  After talking with the ranger and having no luck, my group skipped finishing hole 4 just to catch the group on the tee box at 5 and "kindly" let them know we were playing through..  After passing them, we didn't see that group again until we were on 17 and saw the two guys paired with the 4 year old all the way back on the 11th hole (minus the 4 year old and his mom).

Now I'm all for kids learning how to golf, but at 8am on the weekend (outside of a par 3) is definitely not the place or time.  I also have such a hard time stomaching courses that have marshals that do absolutely nothing about pace of play..  Has anyone else ever run into something like this before?  I know everyone has their own terrible pace of play stories, but I have honestly never experienced something quite like I did today.  I can't stand people that have no courtesy towards the other golfers on the course.  I didn't get an 8am tee time to play a 6 hour round behind your 4 year old..

All you can do, skip ahead to the next hole.  Give yourself and your pals pars, and forget it.  Complaining to the pro or starter will only aggravate you more.  Just the way it is.  With carts, it's easy to skip to the next hole.  Just do it, don't ask.

Yesterday, I was solo, walking.  Caught up to a foursome riding.  Saw them before I caught up to them, I'll bet they were taking a half hour a hole.  (Empty course.)  Anyhow, they're in the middle of a hole, when I sit down on a bench.  After ten minutes or so, they ride back to the 150, and ALL hit from there.  I just skipped to the next hole.  Those yoyos were so absorbed they didn't even notice me walking.

Golfers can be jerks, just like everyone else.  Save the aggravation, don't say anything, and just give yourself a par and move on.

#7 JerseyBoy

JerseyBoy

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482144
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:18 AM

This is entirely on the course and the Management. No way a child that young should be allowed on the course on the weekend before the twilight hours. If the course allows it, it's on them.

I'm all for kids learning Golf. 2 of my 3 play, but I take them out for 9 at the easiest track in our area, and only in the afternoon, and only after I call the course to see how busy they are.

#8 FISHSTICKMAN

FISHSTICKMAN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479306
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:tkyjoe
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 01 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

View PostPerseveringGolf, on 01 October 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

Interested to hear what the Ranger said to you as thats not fair to anyone- isnt there a rule about age or a minimum ability to play, a golf course is not a cresh!
When we talked to the ranger, he told us that the mother and kid were only playing 9 and "it will speed up on the backside".  Not really an acceptable answer when we were on pace for a 3+ hour front 9.

#9 Kaysquare

Kaysquare

Puppyluv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76012
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 1675

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:16 AM

The marshal was gutless, and I would've just gone on in front of that group without saying a word.  They probably didn't even know that
they were the ones who should've offered to let you play through.

#10 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3486

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

The course's fault, of course but people are just stupid.

I'm so glad I can play during the week and skip the Saturday madness.  Take everyone's money, force groups off the first tee and then not care when they've got three groups sitting on the second tee.  I do not miss it.

Driver:  Titleist 917D2 10.5*
Fairway Woods:  Titleist 917 F2 16.5*
                            Titleist 917 F2  21*
Hybrid:  Titleist 816 H1  23*
Irons:  Titleist 718 AP1's
Wedges:  Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind  58* & 64*
Putter:  Odyssey O-Works Black #2M CS.

"Scratch in 2018"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 huddledtoast

huddledtoast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424790
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

View Postnaj959, on 01 October 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

Just Wow! I probably would have lost it and asked for a refund from the starter. At least you had the composure to skip a the hole and play the rest of the course. On a slightly similar note I was playing an afternoon round as a single on a Thursday. I catch a single on #2 playing FOUR BALLS. I wait 15 minute to hit my approach shot into #2 green. I get to the third tee expecting to be asked to join or if I would like to play through but nothing. Dude hits four tee shots on the par three third. I hop in my cart fly by him without saying a world and tee off on four. By this time I'm so pissed that I can't focus on golf. Played terribly for about four holes and ending up snapping my driver. I think I walked off the course around hole 7. Sometimes little stuff just gets to me and the resulting bad play just magnified the negativity. Wish I wasn't wired that way but it is what it is. Hadn't broken a club in a few years prior to that incident.

Some angry dude running around snapping clubs is just as bad as a selfish single playing 4 balls. :taunt:

#12 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3140

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, that fella in front of sure was the a hole in this scenario.

#13 llewol007

llewol007

4KidsGolfer

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,754 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 718

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

I would never take my 4 year old to the golf course to play 18 holes. Too long a course, too long a time commitment before that kid starts bouncing off walls. It would take about 1 or 2 holes watching them attempt to have the kid hit his shots before I make a phone call into the pro shop.
Taylormade JDM SLDR 10* Paderson Kinetixx KG860TP D40
Taylormade RBZ Tour Spoon Hazardouz
TaylorMade 2014 MB 4-Pw Paderson Kinetixx X Flex
Taylormade Tour Preffered Chrome EF Insert Carbon Steel 52/58 Paderson Wedge flex
Taylormade
Taylormade TP5X/Lethal

#14 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 1445

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

View Postllewol007, on 01 October 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

I would never take my 4 year old to the golf course to play 18 holes. Too long a course, too long a time commitment before that kid starts bouncing off walls. It would take about 1 or 2 holes watching them attempt to have the kid hit his shots before I make a phone call into the pro shop.

Assuming the kid paid his greens fee, what should the pro shop do?  They took the kid's money and now he's playing as fast as a 4 year old can play.   The pro shop and starter should have never let the kid go out with the understanding that he could play at his own pace.

#15 Popeye64

Popeye64

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365587
  • Handicap:8
  • Ebay ID:aughedogie
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Why didn't you just approach them in the first fairway and inform them you were playing through. Whether he is 4, 44 or 104 I will just get him or them behind me and enjoy the rest of my round. I get letting them play the first hole like that, but no way that's happening a second hole.

#16 Noles

Noles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136360
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:46 PM

The kid should have teed off at the 100 yard marker.  Probably would have kept pace that way.

#17 naj959

naj959

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66497
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

View Posthuddledtoast, on 01 October 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

Some angry dude running around snapping clubs is just as bad as a selfish single playing 4 balls. :taunt:
  Haha not really because the rest of the course was open and I didn't disturb anyone else's round. My actions only affected me. My fault for letting it get to me.

#18 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,527 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 3365

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

After watching the third fifteen yard shot on #1, I would have teed off on 2.

#19 ArtMBgolf

ArtMBgolf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476646
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:30 PM

Quiting after 9 was no excuse for the Marshal.   Then why were they on #11?  
Marshal's don't have to speed people up if they let groups go through.  

Was the twosome with Mom + Son strangers or friends.   If strangers, I would have gone on ahead.  
Skipping a hole is always better than a 3 hour 9 holes or 6 hour 18.  

At that age, he should have been teeing off at the 150 mark and in the PM.

#20 QEight

QEight

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129410
  • Handicap:13,8
GolfWRX Likes : 746

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:13 PM

View PostArtMBgolf, on 01 October 2017 - 10:30 PM, said:

Quiting after 9 was no excuse for the Marshal.   Then why were they on #11?  

The mom and kid were not. Only twosome.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm
Vokey wedges
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/luu5

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Carl Spackler2

Carl Spackler2

ZP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49549
  • Handicap:+1
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

It's your world, they're just living in it
WITB 2017:

Callaway Razr Fit Driver
TM Burner 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Vokey SM4 Wedges
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

#22 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 3752

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:03 AM

Reading all the comments again, I have to state, " Making a four year old play nine holes of golf from tee to green is a form of child abuse."  The mother is an idiot, and I pity the poor child in the future.

Years ago, I occasionally (rarely) golfed with my brother in law, (a drunk, now deceased), and he'd bring his son with him.  The boy was about eight at the time, dressed in nice golf clothes and Kangol Ivy cap, carrying a little bag with a kids set of clubs.

BIL just screamed and hollered at him the whole time.  He's not concentrating, he's this and that.  The little boy teed his ball a few inches ahead of the tee markers, and BIL went ballistic, calling the boy a cheater, etc.  Horrible behavior.  The boy was in tears.

I'm ashamed to say, I didn't say anything.

The boy turned out OK.  I'm proud to say, he's been a crew member of Air Force One for years.  I think he's close to twenty years service, finished a BA while in the service.

#23 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

This thread does beg the question of whether or not courses can or should have an age restriction in place.

I know for a fact my own club has some rule in place that says something to the effect of everyone must have a USGA handicap and a handicap of X before going out on the golf course at all. I believe it’s also for protection of the course as well as pace of play.

#24 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 3140

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:39 AM

Swisstrader98, on 02 October 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

This thread does beg the question of whether or not courses can or should have an age restriction in place.

I know for a fact my own club has some rule in place that says something to the effect of everyone must have a USGA handicap and a handicap of X before going out on the golf course at all. I believe itís also for protection of the course as well as pace of play.

Everyone at your club has to have a USGA index to play?

#25 tsecor

tsecor

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129704
GolfWRX Likes : 719

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

Not the kids fault. Let him play and enjoy the fact a youngster is taking up the sport. You were young once

#26 KCCO

KCCO

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

I can't blame the kid...nor would this ever happen at my course. Even if he was to tag along later in afternoon, maybe a tee shot; pick up, then let him roll one on the green? No need for the 350yds of time consuming ineffective shots that won't teach him anything, most likely discourage him...good job mom, and piss off who ever is following group.
Titleist 917 D3
Titleist 917 F
Titleist 915 H
PXG 0311T                    MCI-100 black
PXG Darkness 52/58.    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

#27 KCCO

KCCO

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138532
GolfWRX Likes : 226

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:08 AM

golfandfishing, on 01 October 2017 - 11:01 AM, said:

naj959, on 01 October 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

Yeah, that fella in front of sure was the a hole in this scenario.
Snapping clubs? Next time, either call proshop or your sponsor if you feel a craving or urge to break a club..."my name is Kraz-E and I like to break clubs when frustrated....."refund" says this was obviously a public course....still SMH
Titleist 917 D3
Titleist 917 F
Titleist 915 H
PXG 0311T                    MCI-100 black
PXG Darkness 52/58.    MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

#28 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10889

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

I had an adult lady like that in front of me at Pebble Beach a couple weeks ago.  She'd duff her drive, go get an iron, probably a 5 iron, then run back to the fairway  (cart path only), swing mightily and take a huge divot that might travel further than the ball, then jog 30 yards and repeat.  Looked like a ton of fun.

#29 LeoLeo99

LeoLeo99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326383
GolfWRX Likes : 1445

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

Matt J, on 02 October 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

I had an adult lady like that in front of me at Pebble Beach a couple weeks ago.  She'd duff her drive, go get an iron, probably a 5 iron, then run back to the fairway  (cart path only), swing mightily and take a huge divot that might travel further than the ball, then jog 30 yards and repeat.  Looked like a ton of fun.

The lady beginner I played with a  few weeks did that but at least she'd pick up after a few tries to hit the ball and drop it on the green.

#30 95124hacker

95124hacker

Rare putter collection

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 356977
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 317

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Iím all for exposing kids to the sport we all love but players have the responsibility to maintain the PoP. Heck, sometimes I myself fall out of position and I know when to pick up to not hold anyone else up. Keeping the PoP is part of the game. Whenever I have my teen son (non golfer) playing, first thing I remind him is to keep up with the group ahead, his score is secondary.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors