Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Skypro - Putting - face and path angles

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BillyJoe

BillyJoe

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104439
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 29 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

Hi,

I have tried to improve, well, have improved, my putting stroke by among other things "grooving" the stroke using Skypro. But I get some readings I find hard to understand.

Even when I use a club shaft or a straight piece of 2x4" as a rail Skypro tells me my stroke is out-to-in, typically 0.8 to 2 degrees. Must this be expected for some reason?

I don't find it unlikely that there is some kind inaccuracy in the electronics, that there may be some misalignment of the sensor that the calibration will not correct, or some other artefact that can cause this.  But it cannot be a consequence of "uncertainty of the measurement" or accuracy of the sensor, because it is constant in stated range (as opposed to f.ex -1 degree to 1 degree, where it would be easier to assume that the accuracy of the sensor/calculation would be approx +-1 degree).

It could of course be that I swing out-to-in, but I have really tried to keep it straight by letting the heel of the putter trail along a straight rail (not a natural putting stroke, done to try to understand the Skypro measurements).

Also, Skypro consistently tells me that my face is open at impact. This is more likely to be a fact, but even when I try to manipulate my stroke to get rid of this, most often I can't according to Skypro.

So,
Do anyone know how the face and path calculations are done?
The out-to-in and open face is relative to what?
Are the path and face angle calculations related in any way, one of the calculations affecting the other?
Have other users experienced "systematic errors" with their devices, where measurements are out but always out by approximately the same numbers?

I would assume the only valid comparison is the position when the Skypro first senses motion (start of back swing), but hope someone can explain.

Thanks,
B

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 3626

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:16 PM

Those on-shaft devices just aren't accurate.

#3 jut111

jut111

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205837
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

I've actually found the skypro very accurate for putting (I think it's junk for full swing)

That said, the inherent weakness in these devices is it has no idea where you're target is.  It assumes, that you setup with the face perfectly square and uses that alignment as your target line.  

So to address OP's question, yes, both face at impact and path are going to be impacted by face at address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors