Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mind Blown -- The BEST DRILL EVER

139 replies to this topic

#121 games

games

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they are yours.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 248161
GolfWRX Likes : 429

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

View Postbigseanc12, on 15 October 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

How many of you struggle with the throw a little due to being a lefty that is golfing as a righty?

Struggle, yes. But, for those of us who play golf with our "off" hand, I think it a worthwhile exercise.  I've been working to get my right hand more involved in my swing, and I think this exercise definitely helps.

They who are enamoured of practice
without knowledge are like the mariner
going to sea without a rudder or compass
and who navigates without a course.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#122 zebra2955

zebra2955

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 237961
  • Ebay ID:golfingzebra
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

View PostGMR, on 15 October 2017 - 05:11 AM, said:

View Postzebra2955, on 14 October 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Ok after playing a few times after chucking some clubs. I have found my iron play has gotten much better, longer, more accurate. Now I seem to be pulling my driver and fairways woods. Any suggestions ?
Congrats. Wish I could help but anything I'd throw out there would be a complete guess. Have an old driver or 3 wood you can practice throwing? Maybe your body reacts differently because of the longer length, flatter lie, etc... Only way to know for sure is to try the drill with the club you are struggling with!

I do have some real old drivers, maybe I will give that a try. Thanks
Cobra F7 lite flex shaft
Cobra baffler 3 & 5 wood lite flex shaft
Cobra 4 & 5 baffler hybrid lite flex shaft
Cobra baffler irons 4-pw, gw, sw, lite flex shaft
Odyssey White hot 2 ball, super stroke 3.0 counter core grip

Balls whatever Callaway Costco has on sale  LOL

#123 Petunia Sprinkle

Petunia Sprinkle

Future King of France

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397380
GolfWRX Likes : 3128

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

Dude must've seen this thread - https://www.instagra...m/p/BaRDh65hjVU

#124 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175756
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:30 AM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 15 October 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

Dude must've seen this thread - https://www.instagra...m/p/BaRDh65hjVU
I think he would benefit from practicing his club throws a bit.  Fore left!!!  :)

#125 kadey

kadey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 341249
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

So I tried this during a practice round today where I was experimenting with a bunch of different things. A couple of shots that I really got a hold of, a 6i and 8i, I hit 30 yards longer than my normal distance.

I'm definitely going to continue to use this feeling of throwing the club at the target, instead of intending to hit the ball.

#126 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

View Postkadey, on 23 October 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

So I tried this during a practice round today where I was experimenting with a bunch of different things. A couple of shots that I really got a hold of, a 6i and 8i, I hit 30 yards longer than my normal distance.

I'm definitely going to continue to use this feeling of throwing the club at the target, instead of intending to hit the ball.
Glad it seemed to work for you. Picking up 2.5 clubs on an approach is certainly nothing to scoff at!

#127 OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322661
  • Handicap:$$
  • Ebay ID:OrangeGravy
GolfWRX Likes : 202

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

View PostGMR, on 24 October 2017 - 01:26 AM, said:

Glad it seemed to work for you. Picking up 2.5 clubs on an approach is certainly nothing to scoff at!

Kind of makes you wonder how much club head speed/distance we have in the tank that isn't being realized through swing inefficiencies! Kind of relates in a way to trying to swing hard actually producing slower CH speed due to too much tension etc.... I know I'm leaving 10-20 yards out there with my inefficiencies. Specially with irons. With woods I run into the a better swing more often.
Callaway FT Tour 9.5*/ OG Blueboard 73
Sonartec 3.5/YS-6+
Ping EYE 2+ 1-LW BECU/
Cleveland 588 DSG 54*
Cleveland 588 DSG/RTG+ 58*
Odyssey White Hot 6

#128 Cropduster79

Cropduster79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 422382
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:16 AM

I found the lighter the grip pressure the better the results with this swing thought.  This has changed my game around. 5 rounds in the 80s.  Lowest being an 80.  Really clicked when I lesson the grip pressure.

I was a 16 HC. Trending to a 11.7 now!!!!

#129 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostCropduster79, on 24 October 2017 - 06:16 AM, said:

I found the lighter the grip pressure the better the results with this swing thought.  This has changed my game around. 5 rounds in the 80s.  Lowest being an 80.  Really clicked when I lesson the grip pressure.

I was a 16 HC. Trending to a 11.7 now!!!!

Wow that is fantastic, congrats!  And yes I agree grip pressure is important, in the same way that it's important when throwing pretty much anything.  Just imagine trying to to pitch a baseball while gripping the life out of the ball--likely wouldn't get the best results!

#130 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostOrangeGravy, on 24 October 2017 - 06:07 AM, said:

Kind of makes you wonder how much club head speed/distance we have in the tank that isn't being realized through swing inefficiencies! Kind of relates in a way to trying to swing hard actually producing slower CH speed due to too much tension etc.... I know I'm leaving 10-20 yards out there with my inefficiencies. Specially with irons. With woods I run into the a better swing more often.
It really is interesting.  I am fortunate to have a skytrak which gives me pretty accurate launch and carry numbers, and I'm always amazed how small tweaks in intent or technique can have pretty huge impacts on ball speed and distance.

For example just the other day I felt like the swing was just hard. I was having to really swing near my limit to get any distance, and I was still coming up 5-15 yards short every time I hit an iron.  I then made a more consious effort to really turn better in the backswing and keep the club more in front of my chest. Viola, less effort and carry distances up 5-10 over my "normal" distances, so around 15-25 yards per club vs what I had just been doing.

No idea what other swing abnormalities are holding me back, though I'm sure there are some, but it's just amazing to me how sensitive the results are to such small changes.  Just one of the challenges that makes the game so interesting!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#131 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:02 PM

View PostGMR, on 24 October 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

It really is interesting.  I am fortunate to have a skytrak which gives me pretty accurate launch and carry numbers, and I'm always amazed how small tweaks in intent or technique can have pretty huge impacts on ball speed and distance.

For example just the other day I felt like the swing was just hard. I was having to really swing near my limit to get any distance, and I was still coming up 5-15 yards short every time I hit an iron.  I then made a more consious effort to really turn better in the backswing and keep the club more in front of my chest. Viola, less effort and carry distances up 5-10 over my "normal" distances, so around 15-25 yards per club vs what I had just been doing.

No idea what other swing abnormalities are holding me back, though I'm sure there are some, but it's just amazing to me how sensitive the results are to such small changes.  Just one of the challenges that makes the game so interesting!

Very likely, and it could be even more than 2.5 clubs. Most people have no idea how much they're leaving behind on a bad swing until they start maxing out their swing potential.

I like to think of this as one of the main difference between a single digit player and a bogey golfer.

#132 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 24 October 2017 - 03:02 PM, said:

View PostGMR, on 24 October 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

Very likely, and it could be even more than 2.5 clubs. Most people have no idea how much they're leaving behind on a bad swing until they start maxing out their swing potential.

I like to think of this as one of the main difference between a single digit player and a bogey golfer.
I am a single digit and play with single digits predominantly, and I still think very few have swings that are any where near maxed out in terms of efficiency. Maybe at the scratch level people have it figured out, but it's actually surprising to me how many manage to hold down a respectable 4 or 5 handicap who are easily leaving 5-10mph of clubhead speed out there. I personally think that, judging from observation, with an efficient swing most people of decent fitness under the age of about 60 or 65 should be able to get a driver out there at least 260-265, but I am constantly amazed by how few seem capable of this feat.

#133 Need2golfalot

Need2golfalot

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 399454
  • Handicap:10.1
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Define decent fitness.  Most recreational golfers are no where near physically fit IMO.

#134 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

View PostNeed2golfalot, on 25 October 2017 - 07:24 AM, said:

Define decent fitness.  Most recreational golfers are no where near physically fit IMO.
Personally I think it takes a lot less fitness than you might imagine.  I seem to have this conversation with people a lot and it's always circular:

"You are 55 and not physically incapacitated. You should be able to carry a driver further than 200yds."
"My fitness isn't good, I'm not as flexible as I used to be..."
"Well that guy over there is 65, looks somewhat like he may collapse walking between shots, might soon require a walker, and yet can carry the ball around 230"
"Yeah but he's a 5 handicap! I play off 15!"
"Yes...?"

Basically that is to say that just because someone is a better golfer to you doesn't mean you can't compare yourself to them, particularly as it concerns distance.  It just means you have an inefficient swing that prevents you from swinging as fast.  And you know what? Once you start to address those inefficiencies not only will you be able to hit the ball further, you will probably begin to score better as well--length and accuracy are not a tradeoff, but often work hand in hand as the swing gets more efficient.

#135 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

Golf is supposed to be fun, enjoy it. . .

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

View PostGMR, on 24 October 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

I am a single digit and play with single digits predominantly, and I still think very few have swings that are any where near maxed out in terms of efficiency. Maybe at the scratch level people have it figured out, but it's actually surprising to me how many manage to hold down a respectable 4 or 5 handicap who are easily leaving 5-10mph of clubhead speed out there. I personally think that, judging from observation, with an efficient swing most people of decent fitness under the age of about 60 or 65 should be able to get a driver out there at least 260-265, but I am constantly amazed by how few seem capable of this feat.

I completely agree with this, and this is coming from someone not as astute as you are at watching people's swings. It's just a feeling I get when seeing how much variation is in their distances.

#136 zebra2955

zebra2955

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 237961
  • Ebay ID:golfingzebra
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 10 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

A thread started with an instructor names Malaska (not sure if it spelled right), throwing a ball at the ball. Is this not the same idea ? I really like how much has changed since I started throwing the club and will do it when the weather permits this winter. So would throwing a ball at a ball give the same results Something I can do on the carpet indoors.
Cobra F7 lite flex shaft
Cobra baffler 3 & 5 wood lite flex shaft
Cobra 4 & 5 baffler hybrid lite flex shaft
Cobra baffler irons 4-pw, gw, sw, lite flex shaft
Odyssey White hot 2 ball, super stroke 3.0 counter core grip

Balls whatever Callaway Costco has on sale  LOL

#137 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

View PostPetunia Sprinkle, on 09 October 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

Can club throwing lessons and getting fit for throwing clubs be far off. Trackman sessions for throwing?
Dear WRX . I throw a club at 120 mph but is spins through the air and wooshes too much. Will a stiffer shaft help?
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#138 Scottie68

Scottie68

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359119
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 117

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostLondoner, on 10 November 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

Can club throwing lessons and getting fit for throwing clubs be far off. Trackman sessions for throwing?
Dear WRX . I throw a club at 120 mph but is spins through the air and wooshes too much. Will a stiffer shaft help?
Hard to say... can you post thowing videos, down line and face on?

#139 Londoner

Londoner

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483738
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Woofwoof666
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 10 November 2017 - 01:02 PM

View PostScottie68, on 10 November 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

Downline went fine,  face on, not so good. Will try again when camera repaired.
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60

#140 GMR

GMR

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

Just wanted to post an update here to update with my progress. As I suspected, this is of course no "magic bullet."  That said, what I've learned is that this whole "club throwing" concept is an extremely useful lens through which to look at the golf swing in general terms.

First-off, let me say that after my "revelation," the quality of my golf improved, but scoring still inconsistent (albeit a couple strokes better than before). Incorporating that throwing feel into my preshot routine has helped me dramatically with timing and has all but reduced the total disaster type shots (tops, etc.) in the process.

Despite the improvements, however, struggles continued--albeit of a different kind.  While my consistency of hitting solid shots out of the middle of the clubface improved with the new feel, my path and clubface control did not (which actually resulted in some misses that were even worse than before!).  So I went to get a lesson with my pro. The takeaway from that was very interesting.  Basically he reminded me that at the end of the day I'm a weekend golfer without a ton of time to practice and always be 100% sharp on my timing in the swing. However, while many weekend golfers can get away with being a little off on days without too much fuss, my swing speed at ~110mph turns those days that I'm off into a total nightmare.  So basically we decided to change the release pattern to keep the club face more stable through impact.

While I'm of course happy to go into detail about what we changed, that's not really the point.  What IS the point, in the context of this thread, is how I was able to take some practice swings with the completely new feel he was showing me (which the first time you do it basically feels like you're trying to hit about a 150yd slice), and then think about how I'd go about throwing a club down the range if I were to do it that way.  By viewing the new pattern through the lens of my athletic "club throwing" intent, I was able to real progress in implementing the feel in an extremely short period of time.

Sure the first 10-15 reps during the lesson produced all sorts of wonky results, but after just a little range time I was able to go out and play 2 days after my lesson. I was a bit worried that I was testing things too quickly and the first couple holes were frankly a bit tough (first driver of the day was a double-crossed hook OB).  After that I settled down though and really found the feel. By the end of the round I had hit 11/14 fairways en route to 4 birdies and a 77 (which honestly was higher than it should have been given how amazingly I drove the ball--though with a triple on the second hole I guess that's to be somewhat forgiven...)  When I told coach about my results he thought I was kidding, as he thought it would probably take a month or two before I'd be able to keep the ball in play given how drastic a change we had made.

So yes in summary the club throwing intent helps. Dramatically. Maybe not in making your swing perfect or beautiful or even good.  But there is no doubt in my mind that it was that intent that allowed me to take a completely new move and turn it into something resembling a playable golf swing with WAY less time and effort than I would have imagined possible.

(Of course all the usual disclaimers apply--I've only played one round so far with the new swing, next time out could be a disaster, etc. etc. etc.)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors