Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

3-piece vs 4-piece ball. Still confused

46 replies to this topic

#31 playa

playa

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
GolfWRX Likes : 3756

Posted 03 October 2017 - 12:14 AM

View Postrainkingjr, on 02 October 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 02 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Your confusion comes from buying into (presumably) some sort of marketing gobbledegook about golf ball construction. Or maybe second-hand gobbledegook you've read in forums like this one.

Golf balls are built to meet certain performance targets. Different manufacturers might build a ball to the same performance target having 3, 4 or 5 pieces. Not to mention all the variations on "dual mantle" vs. "two-piece core" vs. "gradient core" and so forth. The number of pieces is just one of dozens of choices they make when designing a golf ball.

Your noticing that a lot of balls you've liked happened to have 4 pieces is just happenstance. You might just as easily noticed your favorites all have more than 400 dimples or they are all made of TPU instead of cast urethane. You can't deduce how well you're going to like (or not) a ball you haven't tried by reading the marketing bumpf on the back of the box.

Nailed it.

As for Snell developing a 4 piece ball. I'd chalk it up to just offering another option with slightly different characteristics.
Snell making a 4 piece is pure marketing. As responses here show there are golfers who prefer 4 piece balls and won't buy a 3 piece no matter how good it is. Snell has probably gone as far as he is gonna go in the 3 piece market and now wants to target a new market. All businesses try to diversify.

Edited by playa, 03 October 2017 - 12:15 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 9682

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:08 PM

After 30 yrs of playing, I can't wrap my brain around 2, 3, 4, or 5 piece balls, other than will they hop and stop with a crisp 6i on down. That's it. Those that do I like. Those that don't I don't like. I have noticed that when I have a 135yd 9i, a good urethane ball will hop and stop no matter if it has 3 layers or 200 layers, whereas a surlyn ball doesn't even if it is a '50 compression super soft' ball. That's it for me. Off the driver or 3w, they are all the same to me (except for feel).
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#33 lil'mike

lil'mike

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 436656
  • Ebay ID:mrgolf2k
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

View Postplaya, on 03 October 2017 - 12:14 AM, said:

View Postrainkingjr, on 02 October 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

View PostNorth Butte, on 02 October 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Your confusion comes from buying into (presumably) some sort of marketing gobbledegook about golf ball construction. Or maybe second-hand gobbledegook you've read in forums like this one.

Golf balls are built to meet certain performance targets. Different manufacturers might build a ball to the same performance target having 3, 4 or 5 pieces. Not to mention all the variations on "dual mantle" vs. "two-piece core" vs. "gradient core" and so forth. The number of pieces is just one of dozens of choices they make when designing a golf ball.

Your noticing that a lot of balls you've liked happened to have 4 pieces is just happenstance. You might just as easily noticed your favorites all have more than 400 dimples or they are all made of TPU instead of cast urethane. You can't deduce how well you're going to like (or not) a ball you haven't tried by reading the marketing bumpf on the back of the box.

Nailed it.

As for Snell developing a 4 piece ball. I'd chalk it up to just offering another option with slightly different characteristics.
Snell making a 4 piece is pure marketing. As responses here show there are golfers who prefer 4 piece balls and won't buy a 3 piece no matter how good it is. Snell has probably gone as far as he is gonna go in the 3 piece market and now wants to target a new market. All businesses try to diversify.

So Snell isn't trying to make the game more affordable to the player's but now it's all about business and making lots of money and gonna get some of the 4 layer market!

Didn't he say that he had no plans to change what he sells or that no one needed anything more than a 3 layer ball?  I thought that was mentioned in his video answering questions but not 100% sure!  I guess I should re-watch it.
WITB
Callaway XR16 Pro 9 degree driver
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ 16 degree FW
Callaway Big Bertha 4H 22 degree
Tommy Armour 845s Oversize Plus, 4-PW
Cleveland 588 black RTX 2 CB 54 and 58 degrees
Odyssey Works Versa V-line
Chrome Soft or Chrome Soft X (yellow or yellow/black Truvis)

#34 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 424472
  • Handicap:9.9
GolfWRX Likes : 3287

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

Regardless of whether he thinks anyone "needs" that 4th layer, he probably realizes if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

It's like Ping coming out with "forged" irons every now and then. They know and have always said that cast is the best way to produce the best product line.  But once in a while they give in because certain people will not buy a "cast" iron, period. Same with 3-piece balls.
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#35 Matt-78

Matt-78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 361115
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

I am not a golf ball expert by any means, but as an engineer I have had a desire (or disease perhaps)  to know how golf ball design works. I have had only limited success researching this based on what info is available to the consumer. This actually bothers me, as I feel I need to understand this. lol.

I could very well be wrong on some of this, so please be kind if you have a better understanding than I do. But as I understand it, the number of layers are there for spin separation between the clubs, just as was stated early on in the thread. Each layer is engaged by different club lofts, or effective lofts, at impact. The driver, being the lowest lofted club, primarily engages the core as it's a direct impact into the ball (ideally!). As you progress to higher lofts, you start engaging the outside layers, until you reach you highest loft, which primarily engages the cover. Probably obvious to everyone here, this is why the cover makes such a big difference with wedges. Stating the obvious I know. So the diameter of the layer will determine which club (or loft) engages it. You change the material of the layer to affect the performance of the ball on that club. The more layers you have, the more a manufacturer can vary the performance across the lofts. As I understand it, you will see the biggest changes in the short game.

I could be wrong about this, but I believe the 4-piece also provides something in addition to spin separation. When a 4th layer is added, the thickness of each layer goes down (obviously) since the ball diameter is always the same. This usually means a thinner outer layer, which I believe creates more spin in the highest lofted clubs that engage that layer. Which would be why the V1X seems to bite a little more than the V1 around the green. I think. lol. This would also mean that the higher spin layers are engaged by a narrower range in effective lofts, which would mean variations in loft control with the same club (swing faults maybe) could produce different spin with the same club as you move between layers. So it could be a 3-piece would end up having more consistent spin for those of us with a less than perfect short game, at the expense of the flexibility of the 4-piece. This is just my personal understanding and in no way is guaranteed to represent reality!

Cobra Biocell+ Matrix Red Tie S
Titleist 913f White Board S
Adams Pro DHY 18 Tour Blue S
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Cleveland CG-14 52-56 and Vokey SM5 60
Odyssey White Ice #9

#36 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:47 PM

There are two limits on the thinness of the outer cover a urethane balls, according to comments by Dean Snell and an interview with a Srixon engineer I saw a few years ago. Durability and manufacturing process. Even with the best applicable materials you can only go so thin and get a durable cover, obviously. And TPU, as opposed to cast thermoset urethane can not be manufactured quite as thinly as the durability limit would allow.

Apologies if I got some of the nomenclature wrong but that was the gist of it. The companies not using cast thermoset make the covers in general as thin as they can regardless of numbers of layers. The ones doing cast thermoset do it as thinly as they can while meeting their requirements for durability along with other properties of the cover.
A sensible man will realize that the eyes may be confused in two ways---by a change from light to darkness or from darkness to light; and he will recognize the same thing happens to the soul.

--Plato

#37 Matt-78

Matt-78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

View PostNorth Butte, on 10 October 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

There are two limits on the thinness of the outer cover a urethane balls, according to comments by Dean Snell and an interview with a Srixon engineer I saw a few years ago. Durability and manufacturing process. Even with the best applicable materials you can only go so thin and get a durable cover, obviously. And TPU, as opposed to cast thermoset urethane can not be manufactured quite as thinly as the durability limit would allow.

Apologies if I got some of the nomenclature wrong but that was the gist of it. The companies not using cast thermoset make the covers in general as thin as they can regardless of numbers of layers. The ones doing cast thermoset do it as thinly as they can while meeting their requirements for durability along with other properties of the cover.

Thanks for the clarification North Butte!
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Odyssey White Ice #9

#38 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10837

Posted 10 October 2017 - 07:34 PM

Matt-78, my understanding is similar to yours.  They introduced different layers of synthetics that compress at different speeds to "buffer" some of the spin with the longest clubs as they compress deeper into the core while maximizing spin on shorter shots, such as greenside chips and pitches.  I watched a couple of videos on Callaways' website a couple of years ago and that is what I took away from it.  Different mass and density of the layers, and then the order they stack those composites, creates a different golf ball.

On a related note, I probably should have bought a sleeve of those Q Star Tours before jumping all in with 4 dozen.  Not as spinny as I like around the green.  Maybe it's the 3 layers?

#39 Matt-78

Matt-78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostMatt J, on 10 October 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

Matt-78, my understanding is similar to yours.  They introduced different layers of synthetics that compress at different speeds to "buffer" some of the spin with the longest clubs as they compress deeper into the core while maximizing spin on shorter shots, such as greenside chips and pitches.  I watched a couple of videos on Callaways' website a couple of years ago and that is what I took away from it.  Different mass and density of the layers, and then the order they stack those composites, creates a different golf ball.

On a related note, I probably should have bought a sleeve of those Q Star Tours before jumping all in with 4 dozen.  Not as spinny as I like around the green.  Maybe it's the 3 layers?

Matt J, very interesting point. The z-star (which is what I usually play) is also a 3-piece with a gradient core with the spin skin cover and it spins a good bit. I think the difference is the compression. The q-star is lower compression and that probably changes the ball-club interaction. That is just a guess on my part, because that is the main difference I see between the balls.
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW
Odyssey White Ice #9

#40 TRheezy

TRheezy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 301091
GolfWRX Likes : 334

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:58 PM

Watched a Bridgestone commercial a while ago, basically said they don't use 4 layers because they can achieve the same performance as other manufactures in 3.  Attributes it to being in the rubber industry.

M1 440 8.5* Elements Platinum Proto 6F5
PING G400 Stretch XPHLEXXX Agera X
M1 3 Hybrid Atmos Blue X
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW C-Taper Lite X

SM6 F Grind 50* LZ 6.5- SM6 M Grind 54* LZ 6.5- SM6 L Grind58* LZ 6.0
Edel E2 Torque Balanced

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 JPW75

JPW75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472074
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

View PostTRheezy, on 11 October 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

Watched a Bridgestone commercial a while ago, basically said they don't use 4 layers because they can achieve the same performance as other manufactures in 3.  Attributes it to being in the rubber industry.

I didn't know they made rubbers?  Cool

#42 nad12

nad12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 286268
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

Isn't the Bridgestone B330 range 4 layers?

#43 George1174

George1174

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 416452
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

View Postnad12, on 13 October 2017 - 06:46 AM, said:

Isn't the Bridgestone B330 range 4 layers?
Only the S balls. B330 and B330RX are 3 piece.
Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 11* - Oban Devotion 6 44" tipped 0.5"
Callaway XR16 4W 17°
Callaway X2Hot 4H 22* -
Aldila Tour blue
Cleveland Mashie 3H 20.5° - Miyazaki C.Kua 59
Mizuno MP-59 4-PW - KBS Tour R hs
Cleveland CG15 52/10 bent to 50* Wedge flex
Cleveland CG16 56/14 bent to 55*
Cleveland CG16 60/10
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 30"
Winn Jumbo Pistol, 40gr down the shaft, 40gr counterweight

#44 DLiver

DLiver

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55921
GolfWRX Likes : 523

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

I thought the current B330S is now 3 layers, while the previous version was 4 layers.

#45 George1174

George1174

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 416452
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

The new ones, B RX and B XS?

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 11* - Oban Devotion 6 44" tipped 0.5"
Callaway XR16 4W 17°
Callaway X2Hot 4H 22* -
Aldila Tour blue
Cleveland Mashie 3H 20.5° - Miyazaki C.Kua 59
Mizuno MP-59 4-PW - KBS Tour R hs
Cleveland CG15 52/10 bent to 50* Wedge flex
Cleveland CG16 56/14 bent to 55*
Cleveland CG16 60/10
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 30"
Winn Jumbo Pistol, 40gr down the shaft, 40gr counterweight

#46 PuttCurseRepeat

PuttCurseRepeat

It's a ball mark repair tool. Use it!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397914
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted Today, 01:31 PM

The current B330, all four lines, are 3 piece balls. The previous generation (hydrocore) was B330/s - 4 piece and rx/rxs - 3 piece.

#47 North Butte

North Butte

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,303 posts
  •  

Posted Today, 01:38 PM

Focusing on the number of layers in your golf ball is about like worrying about the type of steel used in your clubheads. It's a matter of far more concern to the manufacturer than to the golfer.

--Plato

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

klbcec, GA Lefty

GolfWRX Sponsors