Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

The better I get the harder it is to enjoy it

68 replies to this topic

#61 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 969

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:04 PM

Managing personal expectations on the golf course can be very difficult.  I find as I improve and lower my handicap, my expectations increase to the point where I'm now always trying to beat my lowest score and I'll get frustrated when the round starts out bad or it becomes obvious that the round won't be a new low score.  I'm not one to get angry (I'm not nearly good enough for that) but I find it difficult to keep my head in the game and to grind through the round for the best  possible score even if it won't be my lowest.

I find it much tougher to maintain focus during a casual round versus a competitive round (tournament or money) so I need to find a way to bring the same mindset into every round no matter the circumstances or score.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 artist08

artist08

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50990
  • Handicap:0.4
  • Ebay ID:artist08
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:34 PM

That’s funny...I feel like the harder I get the better it is to enjoy!

#63 jslane57

jslane57

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 426950
  • Handicap:<5
GolfWRX Likes : 1967

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:51 PM

I agree with many things on this thread and see myself in many of the comments. I agree that being a 2 or better and playing below expectations can feel like a waste of your time at times. I believe one can try too hard at this game. I believe one can get burned out no matter what their age or their skill level. I know it is hard to step away from the game when you've practiced so much. I also believe that one can reach their potential, and when that happens, extra practice and expectations can be simply damaging. I will never say a poor round of golf is better than a good day at work. Why? A good day is a good day, and work can be great! And lastly, it seems that my very best rounds always seem to come around right when I've resigned myself to a mental break, or at least a few rounds with zero expectations. Most of us are only humans:)

Edited by jslane57, 11 October 2017 - 10:52 PM.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" -Einstein

#64 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10845

Posted 11 October 2017 - 10:53 PM

Find a group that plays a lot of junk.  Our Wednesday game plays 2 man teams with auto-presses every time you get down two on each ball and beans for KP, sandies, each ball in the Nassau, birdies, and chippies.

Wagers aren't huge but you can lose a little coin if you get creamed.

It's tough to keep up with, but you forget your score.  We won today and my card got a little off but we knew we were up.  Get to the clubhouse and our opponents settle up and say they had me for a 79.  Sure, close enough.  Counted it up in my head on the way home and I shot 77.  Probably the first round I couldn't have told you where I stood on each tee box in a few years.  Probably took a few bucks more off of them, but who cares?

#65 pearsonified

pearsonified

Extreme enthusiast

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 357207
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 650

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

Wow dude. That's crazy to me. Very interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing it.

Well, b.helts, you've climbed the golfing mountain and have been able to take in the entire landscape from the peak. I'm still climbing the mountain, making up for years of lost time spent on other sports (all of which were much harder on the knees).

I am accustomed to competing at a high level, and my golf skills have not yet reached the point where I can compete a level I'm comfortable with (at a minimum, I'd like to be a factor in major state Am events).

Perhaps when I go 63-65 (or whatever you did recently to win your club championship), I'll be able to chill a little bit on this pursuit. However, as it stands now, I've never finished a round and thought I've gotten the better of the game. Being able to go out and drop a 63 would certainly change that perspective, and that's honestly what I'm working toward.

TM 2017 M2 10.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Blue TX
TM M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange X
Callaway Apex 20º •• Matrix Ozik Altus X
Adams MB2 4-G (22º-50.5º) •• Project X LZ 6.5
TM TP 54º/11º •• DG S400
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60º •• DG S200
TM Spider Tour Black (35")

Current anti-handicap: 5.1

#66 golfer07840

golfer07840

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433524
  • Handicap:16.4
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostAndrew Bond of Glencoe, on 26 September 2017 - 10:11 PM, said:

Curious if there is anybody out there like me. I am currently a 2 handicap and when I think about it, the better I have become at the game the less I tend to enjoy it. That statement shocks my buddies who are bogey golfers, but for me it can be true. It's not always true but it can be true.

I am extremely streaky as a golfer- perhaps because I started playing at the age of 28 (now 43). I can shoot really low (lowest round this year was (-8) 63 but I can also shoot in the mid-80s in any given round.

I remember relishing every round when I was a 9-12 handicap, but as a 2 I am quick to get upset with poor shots and have a certain expectation of playing well. It was so bad last month that I had to reset my behavior- I found myself swearing over bad shots and in terrible mood swings on the golf course. Fortunately I realized that I didn't like who I was becoming and changed my behavior and with it my scores dropped again.

Am I alone or is this common? Even though I changed my behavior I still am a hawk over my handicap. I don't like seeing it tick up.

I remember a Fehrty episode when he was talking to NBA Legend Bill Russell. And Russell said he got down to like a 6. And David says, "oh that's the worst thing an amateur can do. One double bogey and your day is shot."

That's always sat in the back of mind because I am NOT a single digit hdcp, so I can't relate. However a good friend of mine at one point got all the way down to 4. He was starting to shoot in the 60's, than suddenly, out of nowhere, he became a 12. Can barely break 90 now on a consistent basis. Threatens to give up golf all the time and gets angry at every little thing.

So no, you're not alone.

#67 daegyu

daegyu

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 462038
  • Handicap:4.6
  • Ebay ID:hermitjunction
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:01 AM

You should try playing hungover. I've started rounds throwing up right before tee off. By the turn, and after a hot dog and a gatorade, I'm usually ok and I'm just thrilled to play golf without feeling like sh*t
Callaway Epic 10.5 Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65s
Callaway Epic 15 AD-DI 7s
Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid AD-DI 85s
Titleist   816 H2 21 AD-DI 85s
Taylormade P770 4-PW PX LZ 6.0 SS x1
Vokey SM6 52F / 58M KBS Tour
Byron Morgan        DH89x

Lakers Purple and Gold for Life

#68 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,651 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 10845

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:08 AM

View Postgolfer07840, on 12 October 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

Curious if there is anybody out there like me. I am currently a 2 handicap and when I think about it, the better I have become at the game the less I tend to enjoy it. That statement shocks my buddies who are bogey golfers, but for me it can be true. It's not always true but it can be true.

I am extremely streaky as a golfer- perhaps because I started playing at the age of 28 (now 43). I can shoot really low (lowest round this year was (-8) 63 but I can also shoot in the mid-80s in any given round.

I remember relishing every round when I was a 9-12 handicap, but as a 2 I am quick to get upset with poor shots and have a certain expectation of playing well. It was so bad last month that I had to reset my behavior- I found myself swearing over bad shots and in terrible mood swings on the golf course. Fortunately I realized that I didn't like who I was becoming and changed my behavior and with it my scores dropped again.

Am I alone or is this common? Even though I changed my behavior I still am a hawk over my handicap. I don't like seeing it tick up.

I remember a Fehrty episode when he was talking to NBA Legend Bill Russell. And Russell said he got down to like a 6. And David says, "oh that's the worst thing an amateur can do. One double bogey and your day is shot."

That's always sat in the back of mind because I am NOT a single digit hdcp, so I can't relate. However a good friend of mine at one point got all the way down to 4. He was starting to shoot in the 60's, than suddenly, out of nowhere, he became a 12. Can barely break 90 now on a consistent basis. Threatens to give up golf all the time and gets angry at every little thing.

So no, you're not alone.

I think David was more making a joke about the mentality of a 6 handicap.  I started with a double on 2 recently and shot a 74 and I'm a 6.

It's never too late, until it's too late 😉

#69 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,628 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 969

Posted Today, 03:38 PM

View Postgolfer07840, on 12 October 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

So no, you're not alone.

I played a round with a guy last week that used to be a 5 and is was now a 14,  He said he almost quit golf when he was a 5 because of the pressure he placed on himself to lower his handicap.  He wanted to get to scratch and was practicing, taking lessons and playing a lot of golf.  He said he became very frustrated while golfing, especially when he'd start a round and one bad hole early would kill his score and any chance he'd have to lower his index.

Today he doesn't practice, doesn't take lessons and doesn't care what his score is.  He just enjoys playing golf with his buddies and while he can still shoot some rounds in the mid - high 70's or low 80's he's just as happy with scores in the 90's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors