Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

TM Spider Mallet 2.0 Transformation - New Inserts, Shaft, Paint

Spider Mallet TaylorMade Putter Refinish Stepless

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 smitty

smitty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90569
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

Finished up this project a few months ago.

1. I first pulled all the inserts and badges to use as templates.  Completely mangled the face insert...ha (going freehand I guess).
2. Stripped all the paint
3. Shaped the face insert from aircraft aluminum, the sole insert from cheap hardware store aluminum.  Gave it a slight bend to blend with the sole shape.
4. Sanded inserts flush and gave them a brushed 400 grit finish.  Epoxied inserts.
5. Bent a stepless rifle shaft into a single bend to match original stepped shaft.
6. Sent the shaft off for matte black e-coat as a test before the head.
7. Months of waiting for the shaft to return pushed me to send the head to Continental.  I simply requested a paint that best matched the shaft color.  We agreed to leave the polished areas on the sole as is (a few scratches here and there) and just paint where the factory originally painted.  Continental is awesome.
8. Assemble and grip.
9. Make putts.... hopefully.

Updated Specs

Spider Mallet 2.0 - 36"
Iomic Unite (Bottom Third cut off grip) - 89.5g
Lead Tape Under Grip - 20.0g
Head Weight - 369.5g
Rifle 7.0 Shaft - 111.0g
Swing Weight - F6
Total Weight - 594.1
Lie - 71
Loft - 1

The loft and lie are off a little from stock, but after playing with it for a few weeks it seems to be fine.  Eventually I'll end up getting them back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by smitty, 25 September 2017 - 03:41 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Also tagged with Spider Mallet, TaylorMade, Putter, Refinish, Stepless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors