Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Mr.Hogan's take-away question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 WinKiePie

WinKiePie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473688
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Here are my questions

1.Does he move the clubhead away from the ball first with the triangle created by his shoulders and arms without moving the lower body or does he move everything away from the ball at the same time?

2.And does he allows the clubface and his left arm to fan open freely or does he keep it square to the top?

3. Does he pivot over his left leg both back and through?

4. Does he set up in a unique way that is different than most conventional wisdom?

Thank you and if this has already been discussed i truly apologize and a link would be appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Pinsplitter59

Pinsplitter59

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132387
GolfWRX Likes : 264

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:13 PM

Welcome WinKiePie, in real need of new faces in this forum.
Now if that is you in your avatar , you should be arrested for what you're about to do to that ball.
I don't have the answers to your questions, no one has, no one understands what Hogan did or Snead for that matter, IMHO.
So we take uneducated guesses, here goes:
1. he said in the book, it starts with hands-arms-shoulders, one just slightly before the other.
    It seems to be a rotation around move, not a dipping under move.
2. Ah yeah the secret fan open move he actually didn't do.
   He just seems to set his right hand back so the club is toe up soon after initial take away.
  3/4 way back he has the slightest cup in his left wrist and keeps that to the top.
3. i would say he definitely pivots over his right leg, he gets his left shoulder way behind the ball, he emphasized keeping that right
leg very firm and stable and keeping the flex. And with the left knee kicked well in and left heel off the ground , I don't see  how  
one could be pivoting over the left leg.
The back to the ball move is totally unique, he seems to move his upper left side towards the target before any downswing
move or rotation, keeping his left foot still rolled inwards. The he turns his hips i guess and left foot plants back on the ground.
4. I think you call his setup quite relaxed and very centred, not really favouring any one side, no excessive tilt towards the ball or
away from target. Reminds me of Jason Day in  a way, sitting and centre balanced.
He must have been a very flexible fella to make a very full backswing turn and keep those legs and hips in position.
I also wonder how much tension/wind up he felt in his left side so that moving the hips would cause the unwind.
If you haven't seen the "Coleman" film where he demonstrates his swing with driver in slow motion , have a look.
Just throwing this in to get the conversation started.
(personally, i have given up on trying to be Ben Hogan, but he is still an enigma needing to be revealed, i have never read or seen or heard a satisfactory explanation of what he did and how he did it).

#3 AlexCzervic

AlexCzervic

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88805
GolfWRX Likes : 82

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

Waggle both ways - educate hands.
Add/train pivot.
Done.

AC

#4 alansmithdc

alansmithdc

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66704
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 07 June 2018 - 06:31 PM

View PostPinsplitter59, on 25 September 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Welcome WinKiePie, in real need of new faces in this forum.
Now if that is you in your avatar , you should be arrested for what you're about to do to that ball.
I don't have the answers to your questions, no one has, no one understands what Hogan did or Snead for that matter, IMHO.
So we take uneducated guesses, here goes:
1. he said in the book, it starts with hands-arms-shoulders, one just slightly before the other.
It seems to be a rotation around move, not a dipping under move.
2. Ah yeah the secret fan open move he actually didn't do.
   He just seems to set his right hand back so the club is toe up soon after initial take away.
  3/4 way back he has the slightest cup in his left wrist and keeps that to the top.
3. i would say he definitely pivots over his right leg, he gets his left shoulder way behind the ball, he emphasized keeping that right
leg very firm and stable and keeping the flex. And with the left knee kicked well in and left heel off the ground , I don't see  how  
one could be pivoting over the left leg.
The back to the ball move is totally unique, he seems to move his upper left side towards the target before any downswing
move or rotation, keeping his left foot still rolled inwards. The he turns his hips i guess and left foot plants back on the ground.
4. I think you call his setup quite relaxed and very centred, not really favouring any one side, no excessive tilt towards the ball or
away from target. Reminds me of Jason Day in  a way, sitting and centre balanced.
He must have been a very flexible fella to make a very full backswing turn and keep those legs and hips in position.
I also wonder how much tension/wind up he felt in his left side so that moving the hips would cause the unwind.
If you haven't seen the "Coleman" film where he demonstrates his swing with driver in slow motion , have a look.
Just throwing this in to get the conversation started.
(personally, i have given up on trying to be Ben Hogan, but he is still an enigma needing to be revealed, i have never read or seen or heard a satisfactory explanation of what he did and how he did it).
2. Ah yeah the secret fan open move he actually didn't do.  He did do it.   Just not on the backswing.   Clearly on the downswing.   If you carefully read his words, he never said the fanning happens on the back swing.  ""I rolled the face of the club open away from the ball. That cupped my left wrist. Coming down, the face was moving so fast I couldn't turn it over and hook. I was rotating the club like a baseball bat, and the faster I could rotate it, the more distance I got. Training myself, I would roll the face open as fast and as far as I could."  All the rolling was done on the Downswing.  "All will soon be revealed Grasshopper"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors