Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Repairing unfinished persimmon face

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 samtay6

samtay6

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 361827
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:17 AM

I recently got a set of Louisville Golf Personal Model persimmons, in 1 4 and 5.

All three woods are in great shape. The only real issue is with the driver, which has a small patch of missing finish from the face, just to the toe side of the insert.

How should I go about repairing the face section?  I'd rather not refinish the whole head, as the rest of it is in great shape.  I've so far tried some wipe on Poly on just that section of the face but it doesn't seem to be building up to flush with the rest of the face finish after 3 coats.  

I read Dave Wood's guide and he mentioned clear nail polish as a mask for the face. Will clear nail polish hold up as the only bit of finish on that part of the face, or will I need to spray the head with clear to make sure it's properly sealed and protected?  

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Nessism

Nessism

To measure is to know...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,137 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 6758

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:36 AM

If 3 coats don't get it use more.  Or get a product with a higher solids content.  Nail polish is lacquer (or similar).  It drys fast but might not hold up to impacts.
Ping G30 driver w/Adila Rogue Silver 60S
TEE XCG6 3 wood & E8 hybrids
Mizuno Hot Metal irons w/Recoil 95's
Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110's
Ping Anser putter - the "real deal!"

#3 dcopp7

dcopp7

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 428384
  • Ebay ID:dcopp7
GolfWRX Likes : 248

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

No, you need to mix up a clear or amber epoxy and sand in some saw dust into it when mixing.  The you spade it into place and let it cure.  File or sand it to desired shape and then finish the head.  It's not hard, just takes a bit.  I did a Hogan driver like this and it has held up to hits on the epoxy so far.  Looks decent too
Ping K15 9* driver

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Orlimar Trimetal 16*+ fairway

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid

unknown brand 24* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 6i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

TM Mills putter

#4 raggal62

raggal62

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304737
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:raggal62
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

If there is no actual damage other than just the finish, then like Ness recommended; keep applying more coats to build up the repair. A little wet soap sanding w. 1200 inbetween, then either spray or dip a final coat.

#5 sbboudreau

sbboudreau

FORE RIGHT!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 326957
  • Handicap:28
  • Ebay ID:sbboudreau61
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Nail polish is for nails and no impact areas. Definitely use a higher hardness product. Minwax Guardsman may do the trick, its weather resistant and petty tough, though it may not last forever. dcopp7 has a good remedy.

Edited by sbboudreau, 23 September 2017 - 10:14 AM.

(8) "Wee" Scot Putters, Model 1W, 4W, 5W, P15, P170, 180, Balata Face Insert(x2)
1926 MacGregor MASTER Hickory Driver, Ivory SCRULOC Face Inserts
Early Hickory Peter McEwan of Nairn, Putting Cleek Rustless
79/80 Titleist Tour Model Woods(D,3,4,5) & Irons(2-PW) Matching Serial #'s
Titleist Tour Model Flange Putter (2, 34" & 35")
98 PING ISI Nickel Irons Red(2-PW), (HELP! missing 5 & 7)
Go To Set
07 PING G-10 Irons, Yellow, (3 & 4 Hy, 5-SW)
2013 Callaway X2 HOT 10.5 Driver
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 3 Deep 14.5 Fairway
2013 Callaway X2 HOT Pro 5 Deep 18.5 Fairway

#6 jonnygrouville

jonnygrouville

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 265016
GolfWRX Likes : 1730

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:15 AM

Never had a problem using nail varnish and has used it to patch up.  Per the above, the sanding is the toughest bit. Patience required.

#7 Pleasedwith3putts

Pleasedwith3putts

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14749
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:10 AM

I used to re-finish these 35 years ago. No reason why a good epoxy should not hold up as we used araldite for most things back then. As others have said, slightly overfill then sand back.

The inserts were typically a hardened form of nylon and nail varnish was popular for giving them a basic buff. But you have to make sure the head is watertight or you will see water get in at the join with the insert and that's when the wood softens and you lose bits in play like you are seeing. It takes some patience, but dipping the head in thinned clear varnish always gave the best finish. The tricky part was leaving the head at the correct angle to dry, as the face needed to be at a broadly 45 degree angle to the ground so any "runs" were onto the hosel underneath where the whipping would be and you just need to wrap some tissue there to absorb anything. You can of course spray if you have the right equipment, but need a number of coats. Make sure the grooves are nice and deep before you re-finish, as they will reduce in size when you re-finish. Not sure where you can buy whipping now though??

#8 Wriggles

Wriggles

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 212649
GolfWRX Likes : 3691

Posted 26 September 2017 - 02:08 AM

I think nail polish is a good, easy fix.  On a driver, it may not last forever, but an occasional touch up will work.

I have an old, beat up gold plated putter, gotten at the Goodwill for $2.  What makes the putter special, is that it has the name of the company I used to work for in the 1970's, Babcock and Wilcox.  You had to be a real aristocrat or VIP to get an item like that..  I've remarked elsewhere that company policy dictated if you requested a new Sharpie, you had to turn one in.  You couldn't leave a Sharpie lying on a desk or work table.  It would get stolen.

Anyhow, at $2, I cannot justify a replating.  I sprayed the putter black, looked good if only for display.  However, for usage, no go.  Paint would just flake off.  Got the crazy idea to paint it with nail polish.  After stripping the remaining black, I used one of the missus's wilder shades, that came in a $5 beauty box.  Why do women go for the worthless sample stuff, especially older women?

The shade was a Bubba Watson pink.  Two coats have lasted several weeks, with only a bit of wear.  Putter looks pretty good, guys have commented on it.

I know a putter does not suffer the same impact as a driver, but on minor damage, it may be a cheap solution.

JoAnn fabrics sells a waxed linen for around $4 for whipping.  Not authentic, but good enough for me.

Attached Thumbnails

• waxedcord.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors