Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cycling...who does it.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 NCBankrolla

NCBankrolla

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382662
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:Skully85
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

So, I am trying to find a good cardio workout and it be outdoors. Something different than I am use to. So I want to try cycling. My neighborhood is large with 36 miles of roadway and it’s gated so traffic isn’t terrible. Anyone care to share their thoughts as to what kind of bike to start with, hybrid or road bike. I do t want to break the bank either.

Any advice is helpful!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 PersimmonEra

PersimmonEra

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 452496
  • Handicap:16

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

I started with a hybrid and then switched to a rode bike. For rides of more than 45 minutes I am much more comfortable on the road bike. The big advantage of the road bike is how quickly you can accelerate and climb hills.

#3 NCBankrolla

NCBankrolla

• 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382662
  • Ebay ID:Skully85

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

Is it hard riding one with the tires being so thin on a road bike?

#4 mark m

mark m

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44392
GolfWRX Likes : 808

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

I live in the suburbs north of Minneapolis and ride a mountain bike when our weather is decent. I ride on asphalt paths for the most part to avoid the cars. I like the mountain bike because the nightmare for me would be getting a flat 10 miles away! (I like the security of the heavy duty tires. I also bring my phone just in case!) I'm basically too big and too old to run (6'6" and 240, 55 yrs old). Because I am not riding for speed or competition, the type of bike does not really matter. I ride along the river mainly and there are paths all over. I tend to go for about one hour. I grab a couple of water bottles and go. I believe this has really helped me to maintain my scratch/plus Index and stay in shape - and to keep good length with my clubs. Lots of guys near my age have packed on the lbs. and lost distance. I also hit the gym once or twice per week in the summer on a maintenance program focusing primarily on my core and arms (to keep away elbow pain - it works). In the winter I will go to the gym about 4 times per week and do cardio - but it is typically 20 on one machine and 20 on another (walking incline, bike, elliptical). I have a hard time doing more than 40 total inside. But I find it easy to go one hour outside on the bike. I always check the wind and do my into the wind direction first.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist 910D3 8.5 Oban Devotion 05Flex 75g
TM Aeroburner TP 3W - X Flex
TM R15 TP #3 - Fuji X Flex
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW - KBS C-Taper X
Cleveland RTX-3 56/11
Vokey SM6 50/08 & 60/08
Newport 2.5

#5 cdnglf

cdnglf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 1164

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:00 PM

Cycling is a great hobby, especially if you've got interesting places to ride.

I have a cyclocross bike, which I used to use for commuting and now use for recreation and errands. Drop-style handlebars, but wider tires and more upright geometry. A little more flexible than a road bike, because you can ride it on the dirt and gravel.

Also look into the strava app to track your stats.

#6 PersimmonEra

PersimmonEra

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 452496
  • Handicap:16

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

NCBankrolla, on 21 September 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

Is it hard riding one with the tires being so thin on a road bike?

My tires are 23 mm wide but there is now a trend of riding on tires up to 28 mm wide.

A cyclocross bike is a good alternative. Essentially a road bike with wider tires ~32mm

#7 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 8076

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:12 PM

cdnglf, on 21 September 2017 - 09:00 PM, said:

Cycling is a great hobby, especially if you've got interesting places to ride.

I have a cyclocross bike, which I used to use for commuting and now use for recreation and errands. Drop-style handlebars, but wider tires and more upright geometry. A little more flexible than a road bike, because you can ride it on the dirt and gravel.

Also look into the strava app to track your stats.

I ride a cyclocross bike as well with 32 mm tires.  It's a versatile bike that is equally at home on rail trails, multi-use paths and roads.  It is much lighter and quicker than a mountain bike and more comfortable than a hybrid due to having drop bars.

I don't ride as much as when I first got into it, but will go out once or twice a week for rides up to 30 miles on rolling terrain.  In the winter, I mount my bike on a stationary trainer and do 20 minute interval training on my off days from curling.  

I'm in my late 50's.  It takes a bit of getting used to, especially the more aggressive riding position of a drop bar bike.  Do yourself a favour and go to a reputable bike shop and get fit to the bike of your choice.  You will use it more and enjoy it more if the bike is a good fit.  You can spend a little or the sky is the limit.  Be prepared to spend enough to get a good bike that you will be happy with for several years.  It doesn't need to be fancy or have the latest tech.  Opt for decent quality components and a comfortable and light frame.  My bike was ~$900 when I bought it which was pretty much entry level for a drop bar bike, but I've been riding it happily for 5 years now.

cxuno2012.jpg
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

OGA miembro número catorce

MODERNS
TM R7 425  11.5°
Nike SQ SUMO2 4W
Nickent 3DX  20°/26°
Top-Flite XL2000 6i
Hogan Apex Plus 7-E
Hogan Special K Grind 51°/56°
Never Compromise NCX RAY tau

CLASSICS
Woods:  PowerBilt Citation
Irons:  Golden Ram Axial Tour Grind Frequency Matched
Wedges:  RAM Tom Watson Scoring System
Putter:  Ping Zing Mn Brz

#8 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

We are spirits in a material world

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 251822
  • Handicap:8.2
GolfWRX Likes : 9753

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:10 AM

I have been road riding since I was in my teens. Only recently I got a mountain bike but I find that kind of boring. With a road bike I love getting on a downwind leg and reaching some serious speed. It's like flying. Although, I haven't been on my machine for 2 yrs now. I vow to get back on next year. Don't worry about getting a flat - learn how to fix a flat, get a pump and a patch kit, and you can get yourself home. Go to a local bike shop and get fitted, and either buy there, or take the info and buy online for much cheaper. ~$900 can get you a pretty fast machine (probably aluminum frame with carbon forks and stays). Otherwise, get a hybrid and you can still get in a decent workout peddling around your community...
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#9 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,452 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 1958

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

I ride once or twice a week for 15-20 miles at a time.  It's a great way to get outside, get some great cardio in and not put a lot of impact on your joints.  I have a knee that now hates running so I've ultimately given that up.

I ride a hybrid bike and love it.  I feel for neighborhood riding or any type of riding that is done on mixed terrain, a hybrid is really the way to go.  Road bikes, however, absolutely excel when you are starting to push greater than 20 miles and when you have more open road to ride.  Hybrid bikes sit in a less aggressive position (not nearly as leaned forward) and have more give than road bikes.  Hybrid bikes are better if you have any type of mixed terrain or more bumpy roads.

With that said, 20 miles is really getting to the max you'll want to spend on a hybrid.  I have taken mine out for a 32 mile ride in the past and towards the final 3rd of it I wish I had something which was more nimble, accelerated and climbed easier.  But riding it more than 20 miles is certainly possible.  I would say if you are riding more in the 10-15 mile range, a hybrid is a great option.

When I lived in Columbus, I used to ride a 12 mile loop through a couple of neighborhoods.  The hybrid bike was perfect for this type of riding.  Bumpy roads, a lot of starting and stopping, sometimes we would stop at a coffee shop or for brunch in the middle.  The hybrid was perfect.  Now that I live in Phoenix, we have immediate access to the canal behind our house.  It has 40 or something miles of virtually uninterrupted bike paths.  However, our access point and the first 3-4 miles of it is unpaved, hard packed dirt.  Again, this type of riding is perfect for hybrid bike.  With the hybrid, I have front suspension and a little wider tires to absorb the bumps and to easily crank through the unpaved terrain.  Once I hit the paved portion, I can lock the suspension out making it much stiffer while I cruise on the smoother pavement.  On this mixed trail I generally average 15-16 mph and hit speeds in the high 20 mph range while on the hybrid (last nights right was 17 miles, averaged 15.8 mph with a top speed of just under 27 mph).  Not as fast as you can crank a road bike, but still flying.  

If you go the hybrid route, I would opt for one with a front suspension which locks out (many don't have front suspension.. which at that point I think you should get a road bike).  If you're interested in this route, look into the Cannondale Quick CX line (I have a Quick CX 3 and a Quick CX 2... the 2 is brand new... the 3 is from 2013 but I wanted to have a second bike for when guest/family are in town) and the Specialized Crosstrail.  Both are fairly expensive ($800 to $1000) but are really great bikes that will have everything you need/want to fulfill all riding styles.
Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 910F 19*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi BB40

#10 llamont

llamont

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23304
  • Ebay ID:llamont123
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:35 PM

Cycling is a great way to get the cardio workout in without destroying your knees. I dont ride nearly as much as I used to but I would recommend you give it a spin (in a heartbeat). Like golf and other extracurricular activities, the sky is the limit budget pending...   I have a 2006 full carbon DuraAce/Ultegra Trek 5200 roadbike that gets the job done.  If you like the roadbike geometry but need more durability, then maybe look into a CycleCross bike. They have drop bars with knobby tires for less than smooth terrain. I may add one soon. You should be able to get fit into a solid bike for $600-$700. Of course you can spend more but it's really not necessary unless you plan to really put miles on it.

EDIT:  The pic below was taken before a 50 mile ride with friends in 2011 or 2012.  I actually had my "bike guy" install brake levers in the flats (as well as my drops) because it yields a more comfortable/familiar ride for me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by llamont, 22 September 2017 - 10:56 PM.

Driver:  Ping G30 9*
3 Wood:  Ping G30 14.5*
Hybrid 2:  Cleveland Classic 18*
Hybrid 4:  Cleveland Classic 23*
Irons: TMag SpeedBlade HL 5-GW
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action 54* / 58*
Putter:  Cleveland HB 1i 35" w/ SuperStroke Slim 1.0

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:56 PM

I have a 2006 full carbon DuraAce/Ultegra Trek 5200 roadbike that gets the job done.

'Gets the job done'? Haha, you must be able to fly on that thing, even if it is 2006. A couple years ago I was in a LBS shopping for tires and picked up a new gen full carbon Trek and it felt like picking up a sheet of tissue paper. They are getting ridiculous these days.
The absolute perfection of existence, life, and aesthetic beauty is the work not only of evolution but of a powerful being.

#12 llamont

llamont

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:51 PM

thug the bunny, on 22 September 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

I have a 2006 full carbon DuraAce/Ultegra Trek 5200 roadbike that gets the job done.

'Gets the job done'? Haha, you must be able to fly on that thing, even if it is 2006. A couple years ago I was in a LBS shopping for tires and picked up a new gen full carbon Trek and it felt like picking up a sheet of tissue paper. They are getting ridiculous these days.

"Fly" is a relative term...believe me!  LOL.  Seriously though, my 5200 is about as light and stiff as any of the comparable frames of today.  The main difference is that my bike lacks the current installment of the premier drivetrain systems that are available on many of today's Le Tour caliper offerings.  Still WAY more bike than I'll ever be able to outgrow...

#13 glk

glk

send it in jerome

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 336135
GolfWRX Likes : 4158

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

Not much of a biker myself but one of my good friends picked up biking back in the early 90s.    He first biked around Lake Michigan then later in the year biked from Seattle back to Chicago.    He retired and commuted to Atlanta before and after the Olympics working on cell tower configurations but since then he has managed to do some serious bike trips.    He's approaching 70 so he is slowing down a bit but still bikes everywhere even in the winter.   Once a guy ran into his touring bike and thought he could just pay for the damages out of pocket and avoid insurance . . .  not smart for a bike costing $3K+.

Here's his site: http://www.cyclingaw.../CycleTours.htm

Highlights are when he hit a steer head on near Glacier and did a header over his bike and the steer and didn't get hurt but his bike, well.     And running over number snakes crossing Australia, and riding with the beach babe along the SC coast and the grandma's who were trekking across the entire country.

#14 deetsal

deetsal

deetsal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 348655
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

Check out Nashbar they have very reasonable prices on great bikes.   They often have 25-27% off and even 30% off their own Nashbar bikes.  Cross bikes are a great idea if you only own one bike.  

Also check out BikesDirect.com.  if you have some skills in assembling a bit.

Edited by deetsal, 24 September 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#15 nohny noke

nohny noke

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165817
GolfWRX Likes : 658

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

I ride to get from place to place; the exercise is a nice bonus.  

My bikes tend to be in the Rivendell-ish school of thought: relatively heavy, sturdy, and upright.  Though I just bought a Xootr Swift folding bike and I'm loving it!

#16 leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482290
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 26 September 2017 - 01:28 PM

I started riding this year because i quit playing rec hockey to play more golf.
it's great for cardio and you can go so much further than you can while running.

Ended up finding a used entry level road bike with a carbon fork.

Sometimes i wish i got more of a hybrid bike for the riding position, but my intent was to do longer 40km rides, so it seemed to be more suitable.

you're more likely to find a hybrid with better components than a road bike at the same price point.

good luck with the search!
Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Performance Driver
Cobra Fly Z 5 Wood
Srixon H45  4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 5-AW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 56/60
Odyssey White Hot #7

Srixon Q Star/Q Star Tour

#17 dongodfrey

dongodfrey

• 76 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95504
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:44 AM

i started cycling this year, have a medical condition thats a result of a pro lapsed disc, Cauda Equina Syndrome, i can not run or do gym work, my golf swing is not massively affected and to be honest a year after i had the op i asked my surgeon if i would be able to play golf again and was told it could do no more harm.
My problem is my legs and feet, they are generally the worse, more so than the lower back.
So after some thought i went and got a hybrid bike, best decission i could of made, i do maybe 3 rides a weeek if i can, 10-15 miles a time, cost me nothing apart from the bike,no memberships or fees, and it gets you outside, my mobility has improved greatly, sadly not my game !!!

Edited by dongodfrey, 28 September 2017 - 12:45 AM.

#18 llamont

llamont

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

For most of us amateur cycling mortals, an entry level roadbike w/comparable groupset components will yield a ride that is just as pleasant as a high end full carbon featherweight roadbike as long as the fit is right and the bike has been properly tuned.

#19 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

llamont, on 28 September 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

For most of us amateur cycling mortals, an entry level roadbike w/comparable groupset components will yield a ride that is just as pleasant as a high end full carbon featherweight roadbike as long as the fit is right and the bike has been properly tuned.

I guess the ride might be as pleasant, but I have been on expensive full carbons a couple times and it is amazing how agile and fast they are. They really respond to pedal pressure and accelerate when you want. But even for a lower level ride, I agree you need decent hardware. Having clunky derailleurs saps your energy.

#20 leopoldstotch

leopoldstotch

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 482290
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

thug the bunny, on 28 September 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

llamont, on 28 September 2017 - 09:27 AM, said:

I guess the ride might be as pleasant, but I have been on expensive full carbons a couple times and it is amazing how agile and fast they are. They really respond to pedal pressure and accelerate when you want. But even for a lower level ride, I agree you need decent hardware. Having clunky derailleurs saps your energy.

Agreed.
When i was looking at bikes last year, pretty much all the sales guys told me to stay away from Sora, Claris and even Tiagra. I did end up with the Tiagra because i was on a budget.
I was told to get a hybrid or get something used, which is what i did.

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Performance Driver
Cobra Fly Z 5 Wood
Srixon H45  4 Hybrid
Srixon Z565 5-AW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 56/60
Odyssey White Hot #7

Srixon Q Star/Q Star Tour

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 llamont

llamont

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:45 PM

I have ridden a friend's bike with a combo Tiagra/105 groupset and it wasn't a bad ride at all. I think it was a KHS or a Fuji alloy frame so it wasn't as sensitive to road conditions.  

Edited by llamont, 28 September 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#22 cdnglf

cdnglf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139540
GolfWRX Likes : 1164

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

My bike came with Tiagra, and I've replaced the worn out parts with Tiagra. Nearly 20000km, mostly year-round commuting on the west coast.

A basic new or used bike from a decent manufacturer like Giant or Specialized is a great way to get started. Just stay away from Walmart and the like.

People who find that they really like cycling always end up with more than one bike anyway. N+1!

Edited by cdnglf, 28 September 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#23 llamont

llamont

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:10 PM

cdnglf, on 28 September 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

My bike came with Tiagra, and I've replaced the worn out parts with Tiagra. Nearly 20000km, mostly year-round commuting on the west coast.

A basic new or used bike from a decent manufacturer like Giant or Specialized is a great way to get started. Just stay away from Walmart and the like.

People who find that they really like cycling always end up with more than one bike anyway. N+1!

I recommend staying away from department stores and be cautiously informed if going with a major chain general sporting goods shop.

#24 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
  • Handicap:wife
GolfWRX Likes : 315

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:13 PM

buy a used bike, new bikes dont hold their value very well so you can get alot for your money on the used market. check craigslist and charlotte bike market on FB. buy a road bike or a mtn bike imo. if i were to choose btwn the two id get a mtn bike but i raced road bikes forever- VA state champ numerous years and 4th on the road nationals and 6th on track so i currently find mountain biking more interesting.

Edited by prsgtrman, 07 October 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#25 oldpalchamp

oldpalchamp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2386
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:22 AM

I love to cycle.  Started out with a hybrid but bought a road bike within 6-months.  Really appreciate the different hand positions available with drop bars.  I went with a more relaxed "endurance" geometry and feel very comfortable in the saddle.

#26 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

oldpalchamp, on 17 October 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

I love to cycle.  Started out with a hybrid but bought a road bike within 6-months.  Really appreciate the different hand positions available with drop bars.  I went with a more relaxed "endurance" geometry and feel very comfortable in the saddle.

Besides using a proper size frame, handlebars are amazingly important in feeling comfortable and covering distance.

#27 UofU02

UofU02

Wingpointe GC...Never Forgotten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 231449
GolfWRX Likes : 1032

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

Something like a Cannondale Synapse is a great first bike.  All the benefits of a road bike with a more comfortable riding position.  I see a lot of them at the group rides my wife and I do.  Personally I like a more aggressive position but thatís not normal for entry level riders.
Cobra LTD Black Driver
Taylormade M2 16.5* fairway wood
Cobra F6 2-3 and 3-4 hybrids
Mizuno MP-55 irons 5-P
Scotty Cameron AOP Newport Custom
Cleveland RTX 588 50*, 54* and 58*

#28 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 8076

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

thug the bunny, on 17 October 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Besides using a proper size frame, handlebars are amazingly important in feeling comfortable and covering distance.

Agreed.  I did a randoneur style build starting with a chromoly CX frame.  With comfort in mind I chose a Brooks B-17 saddle and Ritchey Evocurve bars (shallow drop with flair) for more of a touring set-up.  I also went with Shimano A530 pedals for versatility using either cycling or street shoes.  I run Panaracer 32mm or Small-bloc 8's depending upon season.  The extra tire width eliminates road buzz on gravel or chip surfaces.
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

OGA miembro número catorce

MODERNS
TM R7 425  11.5°
Nike SQ SUMO2 4W
Nickent 3DX  20°/26°
Top-Flite XL2000 6i
Hogan Apex Plus 7-E
Hogan Special K Grind 51°/56°
Never Compromise NCX RAY tau

CLASSICS
Woods:  PowerBilt Citation
Irons:  Golden Ram Axial Tour Grind Frequency Matched
Wedges:  RAM Tom Watson Scoring System
Putter:  Ping Zing Mn Brz

#29 thug the bunny

thug the bunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:51 PM

scomac2002, on 19 October 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

thug the bunny, on 17 October 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Agreed.  I did a randoneur style build starting with a chromoly CX frame.  With comfort in mind I chose a Brooks B-17 saddle and Ritchey Evocurve bars (shallow drop with flair) for more of a touring set-up.  I also went with Shimano A530 pedals for versatility using either cycling or street shoes.  I run Panaracer 32mm or Small-bloc 8's depending upon season.  The extra tire width eliminates road buzz on gravel or chip surfaces.

My current bars have me reaching out too much which puts strain on my back, but I have only been doing 20 mi loops on my machine since I got it, so I just suck it up. But when I get back on next spring I am going to my LBS and get fitted for some bars which tuck me back on my seat a little more so I can ride more miles more comfortably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors